Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh yeah, in Stick of Truth there are a few achievements that you can miss out on because you didn't grab something in an area you can no longer access, or you did something before you got the relevant items - this seems to be a pretty comprehensive list/guide if that helps. There are spoilers for the game, obviously.

precision posted:

e: Hahaha, one of the hidden trophies: "Use every allies' Ultimate Attack in a playthrough, except The Coon's"

I didn't read that until after I had used that particular move, but I got the achievement anyway so.... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I got back to this game last night as a break from AC and polished off a couple sidequests and main quests (namely, the stuff right before and right after you unlock the last three party members)

Since I had managed to stay completely unspoiled I had no idea that Butters was a party member (I was assuming the last ones would be Tweek, Mysterion and Timmy ). I was so happy about that, you have no idea. :3:

Right now I'm thinking the most purely "gently caress you guys" party is Main Character with Blaster/Psychic/Elementalist (with all Brains powers so you can use one DNA to boost everything a lot) and Toolshed, Mysterion and Tweek.

Tupperware sticks out as being so much worse than everyone else due to the range of his moves, by the time I get him into position to do anything the fight is over.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Game was bug free for me until I got the Freedom Pals mission to go to Mephisto's Lab.

Autosaving fails sometimes and I can't manually save and have to reload, lost like 30 mins of playing first time that happened. loving Mutant Cousin Kyle getting below 2000 HP and then getting stuck in some weird loop after a charge attack and not being able to move, attack or forfeit my turn and having to reload.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Pocket Billiards posted:

Autosaving fails sometimes and I can't manually save and have to reload, lost like 30 mins of playing first time that happened.

Interesting to see this isn't isolated! I came here to mention that I had ran in to this bug after beating Mitch Connor . I foolishly had not manual saved for quite a while (I know, I know) when I encountered this issue and I lost 3 hours.

It caused me to stop and move on to Wolfenstein 2, I like the game but its lack of replayability didn't really enamour me towards "re-watching" what I personally view as an interactive version of the show.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Got around to playing FBW(after getting fatigued from SoT before I could finish it), and Jesus Christ is New Kid's Dad just the most unpleasant douche(not helped by the fact that unlike pretty much every other adult in South Park he doesn't really have any funny aspects to him)

Also I overall like the combat system, but there's definitely some balance issues(using an item eating up your whole turn is bullshit for one thing, especially when items kinda suck compared to SoT), enough so that after the first couple of battles I had to drop the combat difficulty down to casual cause otherwise I would have probably stopped playing out of frustration

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The combat is so easy on Normal I didn't have to use a single item ever until Day 3 :confused:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, I think that guy is just bad at the game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I dunno I guess I just have a low tolerance for most things that games do to add "difficulty" these days(unless it's Bloodborne)

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I finished the game last night. Everything post Mephistos Lab seems really rushed. Like you are just rail roaded through the last few boss fights with nothing in between and all this great content from the show is wasted on a couple of boss fights that I went through on the first attempt - Woodland Critters, Santa, Order of the Stick. The final boss battle was very underwhelming as well.

Having said that, I was done and wanting to move onto something else., something I didn't get with Order of the Stick. If some other locations had been used more in lieu of just running around the town in circles I think I would have been much more motivated to keep playing like isometric amiga graphics Canada, more of the future Xmas Woodland Critter setting, more of the past Order of the Stick setting, Crab People underground city which I understand to have been cut content from the first game, etc

The Morgan Freeman battle is a bit of a poo poo, I can reliably knock him down to <2000 hp but then I get caught in a loop of being charmed and needing to heal.

The timer based attacks from the boss fights are a really really bad mechanic. I guess the intent was sort of real time combat from Chrono Trigger, but should have been a turn-based counter rather than real time. Especially as the timer continues when the enemies are moving and attacking. All the frustrations I had with this game, other than autosaving and blocked movement bugs were all from this stupid loving mechanic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I appreciated that Wendy was the only one committed enough to the game to make a second, in-character Instagram.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
oh my God the micro aggressions :lol:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Add me to the list of people who beat it and are disappointed.
There's so much that feels like it's missing.

Stick of Truth was fairly shallow too, but, it was way deeper than Fractured is.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Well I beat Morgan Freeman before I beat the game, cool.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
What happens if you do that? Is he still available as a vendor

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My thoughts on the ending: I enjoyed everything up to the point where you return to the present to fight Mitch. The Stick of Truth fight was fantastic and beating yourself should've ended it. They even make a joke about SoT world feeling rushed and one of the kids says "We had less money!"

I was really liking combat until you get the plantmancer which is easy mode. I never took off the security guard DNA (which is like +40% mind) and using the clone fart I stunlocked the last couple fights by charming the bosses back to back. Why didn't they make the final few fights immune to charm?

Still a largely enjoyable game and the police plot twist Shub-Niggurath was loving hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

the_american_dream posted:

What happens if you do that? Is he still available as a vendor

Yep.

I have to second that as much as I enjoyed the game, I preferred Stick of Truth. Yeah the combat was a lot easier but it had a fun charm to it - the combat in this one isn't particularly complicated either but doesn't feel quite as fun as SoT's was.

That said, at least the game doesn't cut you out of items/quests etc if you progress too far in the storyline, like SoT did.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game's combat is pretty solid for what it wants to be though, I like the variety of abilities and it felt like a meaningful decision as to who I put in my party. I really liked the tool guy's skill set, and Captain Diabetes is pretty aces. Mysterion felt exceedingly useless though. It was a solid rental. Seeing as they have a DLC bus station, maybe if they add some more content packs I'd purchase a collector's edition down the line.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This game's combat is pretty solid for what it wants to be though, I like the variety of abilities and it felt like a meaningful decision as to who I put in my party. I really liked the tool guy's skill set, and Captain Diabetes is pretty aces. Mysterion felt exceedingly useless though. It was a solid rental. Seeing as they have a DLC bus station, maybe if they add some more content packs I'd purchase a collector's edition down the line.

I'll say this is a tribute to how well the simple combat was designed because I found Toolshed and Captain Diabetes subpar while Mysterion was my highest damage dealer. My main party after the merger was Call Girl, Wonder Tweak, and Mysterion.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jerusalem posted:

Yep.

I have to second that as much as I enjoyed the game, I preferred Stick of Truth. Yeah the combat was a lot easier but it had a fun charm to it - the combat in this one isn't particularly complicated either but doesn't feel quite as fun as SoT's was.

Agreed. It was a lot more entertaining for characters to pull out lighters and hairspray for Cone of Fire spells than to actually be throwing fireballs. I suppose the argument could be made that it's all imaginary, but still, it was nice seeing how it was "really" working.

And Call Girl was hands down my MVP party member, being able to snipe people from drat near anywhere on the board was invaluable to me. And I kept Toolshed for the Gurren Lagann references.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Im just on the second day but so far captain diabetes and super Craig or my guys. I really would rather have the team with the funniest banter honesty. Craig seems to have something funny for just about every party member

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Im just on the second day but so far captain diabetes and super Craig or my guys. I really would rather have the team with the funniest banter honesty. Craig seems to have something funny for just about every party member

Probably my favorite line in the game

Craig: "I always thought kites were lame."
Kyle: "Happy to change your mind, Super Craig."
Craig: "Who said I changed my mind?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2nding that Callgirl is an exceptional party member.

Spoilers for Day 3 but Craig and Tweek's combined finisher is the absolute best. I laughed a whole lot when I saw it and I'm glad they didn't give it away on the show like they did with (spoilered for context) Princess Kenny's anime opening credits in Stick of Truth.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Mysterion is actually super good provided you're using artifacts that boost critical. I found the best party to be him, Call Girl, and either Toolshed or Prof. Chaos

e: Tweek is God Tier also. Really, the only party member that isn't that good is Tupperware, because his range sucks

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I liked the game but thought the end dragged a bit. It's like they had too many ideas for final bosses and said F it, put them all in. Which wasn't to the games benefit. Make a 3rd game and have fighting yourself in the past be the final boss of that one. I liked Kyle as the final boss. It could have ended there and been fine. It felt like a final boss but then more and then more and then more. Sigh.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Mysterion is actually super good provided you're using artifacts that boost critical. I found the best party to be him, Call Girl, and either Toolshed or Prof. Chaos

e: Tweek is God Tier also. Really, the only party member that isn't that good is Tupperware, because his range sucks

I used the Human Kite once and never again.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I used the Human Kite once and never again.

He's actually one of the stronger members.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

He's actually one of the stronger members.

Could've fooled me. Wonder Tweak is weaker but shock is a great status effect and Wonder Tweak's healing is better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do wish you had more customization options (well, any options) for party members, or that their moves "evolved" as you progress or something.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

al-azad posted:

Could've fooled me. Wonder Tweak is weaker but shock is a great status effect and Wonder Tweak's healing is better.

Kyle has a long range attack and his special is a big AoE. Pretty useful.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I wish there was a New Game+ option that let you have access to all 10 classes at the start (but still gated your multiclass access by the plot) and all the costume options you collected on your previous file.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I used the Coon a lot because Damage over Time is my jam.

I also really really liked the Mosquito. His quips were the second funniest behind Captain Diabetes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah. Coon is good. One of the best specials, too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Really, like I said, they're all good. Coon is a godsend in some of the battles for sure.

Any word yet on what the DLC is gonna entail?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

Kyle has a long range attack and his special is a big AoE. Pretty useful.

Kite has great damage, but DOT's are huge in this game.

My party for Morgan Freeman was myself, Mysterion, Mosquito, and Captain Diabetes.

I would time fart and make a past version of myself whenever possible (ult was the martial artist shield and provoke), I would apply bleed, Mosquito would apply gross out, Captain Diabetes would apply Slow and a shield to himself. Mysterion's ult added shock, and also healed the team (both ults) keeping DOT's stacked made the fight super manageable.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
What's a good team for the Freeman fight

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

precision posted:

Any word yet on what the DLC is gonna entail?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/13/south-park-the-fractured-but-whole-season-pass-details-revealed

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

What's a good team for the Freeman fight

See my post directly above yours.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Lol thanks sorry

Also i think I'm over halfway to the end just got my 3rd power. Havent been even close to dying. Does the difficulty scale up or should i go ahead and raise it? I remember stick of truth being a bit harder

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
This game was really good but the whole last third of it felt like "the production of this game went really long and we changed direction several times so here is all the cut content" mashed onto the end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This game was really good but the whole last third of it felt like "the production of this game went really long and we changed direction several times so here is all the cut content" mashed onto the end game.

It does feel like they were missing a lot of content, especially considering how long they pushed it back.

It bugged me that there was no option to Choose the Freedom Pals over Coon and Friends. I know it becomes a moot point almost immediately after, but still.
That, and the fact that there was no resolution to Cartman destroying Timmy's franchise flowchart. They never revisit that point at all, it becomes all Mitch Conner all the time. Considering this was all centered around Cartman trying to make himself the center of the franchise again, you'd think they would have touched more on that fact.

• Locked thread