Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm a fan of the new Yankees thread title.

I’m not!!

But really, that’s the one thing the team is never going to shake :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Apparently the Astros are interested in Lucroy, which seems utterly bizarre when you have Gattis/McCann right now and Centeno/Stassi waiting in the wings.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah but you don't count

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Der Meister posted:

I really thought the Dodgers FO would start avoiding those kinds of contracts after this year. I guess losing the series changed their priorities.
I doubt things have really changed

https://twitter.com/mcculloughtimes/status/930831076062322688

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I mean what team isn't interested in Stanton? These hot stove trade talks are so incredibly vague they might as well not exist.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Apparently the Astros are interested in Lucroy, which seems utterly bizarre when you have Gattis/McCann right now and Centeno/Stassi waiting in the wings.

Lucroy also kinda sucked this year. .265/.345/.371 with only 6 HR's and 82 wRC+. He also put up -4 DRS at catcher.

I guess you could argue he rebounded after being traded to Colorado, but Coors, etc.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah that would make no sense unless McCann is about to retire or something

Not sold on either of Centeno or Stassi

Sydin posted:

Lucroy also kinda sucked this year. .265/.345/.371 with only 6 HR's and 82 wRC+. He also put up -4 DRS at catcher.

I guess you could argue he rebounded after being traded to Colorado, but Coors, etc.

And he's turning 32

He's only two years younger than McCann!

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 15, 2017

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I mean....maybe Lucroy at first with Gurriel DHing? But even then it's not an upgrade.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Apparently the Orioles are open to moving Britton but this time the Astros aren't in on him for some reason

Also apparently the centerpiece of the trade was Colin Moran before it got nixed? If that's true I can see why the Orioles backed out

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Apparently the Orioles are open to moving Britton but this time the Astros aren't in on him for some reason

Britton only has one year left before FA and he's expected to pull down ~$13-14m in arb after a year he dealt with an arm injury and saw his peripherals take a nosedive across the board. Teams willing to spend that much AAV on a closer would probably prefer to just sign Davis/Holland/etc and get them for a few years vs trading prospects for one expensive year of Britton.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sorry for the double post but I hope you all are ready for pitch clocks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I saw an example of one being used in the AzFL and it looked loving miserable. Batter took forever to get into the box and then 2 seconds after he got ready the umpire called a ball on the clock violation that took longer than the batter prep.

And that's ignoring the fact that the batter caused the loving delay.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Inspector_666 posted:

I saw an example of one being used in the AzFL and it looked loving miserable. Batter took forever to get into the box and then 2 seconds after he got ready the umpire called a ball on the clock violation that took longer than the batter prep.

And that's ignoring the fact that the batter caused the loving delay.

Is it better or worse than this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwAze__nq2k

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Best part is the pitch wasn't even a strike

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Intruder posted:

That'll pace your play faster than a ball!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

It's Joe West, getting the call right takes a back seat to making a statement.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, gently caress you, Manfred.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Good.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

My body is ready.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

It's Joe West, getting the call right takes a back seat to making a statement.

I wish it had been in the dirt or something so smokin' Joe would have had a conundrum on his hands

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know there was a pitch this year where the batter was doing his in box routine and the pitcher just threw one by him for a strike.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

iospace posted:

I know there was a pitch this year where the batter was doing his in box routine and the pitcher just threw one by him for a strike.

It was Scherzer against Odubel Hererra. Scherzer then went full pitchface.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
What the gently caress has Donny been doing to his hands to make his fingers jagged?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Kluber wins ALCY with 28 of 30 1st place votes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Chris Sale is never going to win a Cy Young apparently. :lol:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The two first place votes for Sale came from writers in Boston and Chicago. I honestly thought it'd be closer than that.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I hope pitchers protest by waiting until the last second to throw the ball, thereby making the games actually take even longer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
They both surpassed 200 IP and Kluber had a 2.25 ERA in the year of the juiced ball which is pretty crazy, but Sale pipped 300 K's for the first time in his career to Kluber's 265 and (I know the writers don't give a gently caress about this) actually had a marginally lower FIP.

It's not a complete robbery like Porcello's was last year, but the fact that it wasn't even close is really weird.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pitch clocks effect very few pitchers in the game (Pedro Baez). But the effect is probably more subconscious and a good thing overall to keep things moving. Some guys do take for ever between pitches and it's detrimental to their own defense to be standing around.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sydin posted:

They both surpassed 200 IP and Kluber had a 2.25 ERA in the year of the juiced ball which is pretty crazy, but Sale pipped 300 K's for the first time in his career to Kluber's 265 and (I know the writers don't give a gently caress about this) actually had a marginally lower FIP.

It's not a complete robbery like Porcello's was last year, but the fact that it wasn't even close is really weird.

I mean, its not weird the way the voting works. If a bunch of writers all came to the same conclusion of "its close but Kluber's the winner" then you have a landslide even if that wasn't the intent. Only way to avoid that is to collude to throw enough 1st place votes to Sale to make it close. No one else got either a 1st or 2nd place vote so that's as "even" as you can guarantee it without manipulating the votes.

No?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Scherzer won 27 of 30 first place votes. Both awards ended up less close than they ought to have been at the top.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Scherzer won 27 of 30 first place votes. Both awards ended up less close than they ought to have been at the top.

*leans in really close to the mic* wrong

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, its not weird the way the voting works. If a bunch of writers all came to the same conclusion of "its close but Kluber's the winner" then you have a landslide even if that wasn't the intent. Only way to avoid that is to collude to throw enough 1st place votes to Sale to make it close. No one else got either a 1st or 2nd place vote so that's as "even" as you can guarantee it without manipulating the votes.

No?

I guess, I'm just surprised there weren't more voters who thought "it's close but Sale's the winner". I thought 308 K's was going to sway more voters.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Sydin posted:

I guess, I'm just surprised there weren't more voters who thought "it's close but Sale's the winner". I thought 308 K's was going to sway more voters.

Almost three quarters of a run difference in ERA is a pretty big gap.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I think Scherzer clearly distinguished himself from the rest this year. I didn’t think it was particularly close.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Kershaw vs. Scherzer:

Kershaw has a lower ERA, 2.31 to 2.51

Kershaw has a slightly better ERA+, 180 to 177

Scherzer better in FIP (2.90 to 3.07), WHIP (.902 to .949), hits per 9 (5.7 to 7.0), HR per 9 (1.0 to 1.2), K per 9 (12.0 to 10.4)

Kersh better BB per 9 (1.5 to 2.5) and SO/W (6.73 to 4.87)

Scherzer better in WAR (7.3 to 4.6)—partially attributable to the fact that Kersh made four less starts

I'm afraid I have to agree with the voting results. If Kersh hadn't missed those four starts, who knows.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mariners got Ryan Healy from Oakland. I guess our first base problem is solved?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Almost three quarters of a run difference in ERA is a pretty big gap.

Didn't stop the voters from voting for Scherzer over Lester or Hendricks last year :argh:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kershaw should bribe the writers to buy him a new back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Oh dang, how did I forget the A-Rod trade? It's an interesting comp for Stanton, though. A-Rod had 7 years and $179M left when Texas dealt him to the Yankees; Stanton is owed $295M over 11 years, but there's an opt-out. Pretty similar AAV. Rodriguez's contract was the largest in MLB at the time, and Giancarlo's is the biggest today.

The Rangers ate about 1/3 of the money they owed A-Rod, and got back a pretty good player in Alfonso Soriano. I wasn't following baseball closely in 2003 but Soriano hit almost 40 dingers in each of his last two seasons in NY, as a second baseman, and was just entering arbitration. That seems like a nice return. So maybe the Marlins would need to cover like $100M but they get back a young, cost-controlled star.

What did people think about the A-Rod trade at the time?

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 16, 2017

• Locked thread