Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The most illustrious team in Major League Baseball, the New York Yankees just came off a non-mediocre season and went to the ALCS in a year they were expected to be bad. Took the champion Astros to seven games and made them look silly in the Bronx. Yankee Stadium was no longer the Delta Lounge at LaGuardia, it felt like the madhouse it was in the 90s!

The Yankees right now are looking for a new manager, but the core of the team is back and looking to improve on this year's playoff finish. Aaron Judge is the AL MVP, gently caress outta here. Luis Severino and Masahiro Tanaka are the best one-two punch in baseball, this is a team thread I don't have to be nonpartisan here :colbert:

I hope Jacoby Ellsbury gets jettisoned so Clint Frazier can get playing time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3TXOfyKQSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Db30TrEvbk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Shoot Ellsbury into the sun (AT&T Park) and give me my regular dose of Red Thunder in 2018.

Cashman is also saying they want Chad Green to come to Spring Training as a starter which seems...really stupid.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yeah, I don't see how Green coming to camp as a starter makes sense. He spent the whole year throwing his fastball and slider and not developing a third pitch. Unless this is subterfuge by Cashman to downplay interest in going after any starters by suggesting that he's willing to just go internal to paper over the fifth starter spot

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
They should be bringing back CC, so the rotation is already set. I mean, even if they don't there are guys in AAA I would want there over moving Green.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
They are going to be scary over the next few years, barring any dumb organizational decisions which the Yankees have a history of. They really remind me of the 90's Yanks, but better somehow.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I don’t appreciate this thread title change

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Carlosologist posted:

Yeah, I don't see how Green coming to camp as a starter makes sense. He spent the whole year throwing his fastball and slider and not developing a third pitch. Unless this is subterfuge by Cashman to downplay interest in going after any starters by suggesting that he's willing to just go internal to paper over the fifth starter spot

He deserves another change to fail as a starter. He's been a starter his whole career.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

He deserves another change to fail as a starter. He's been a starter his whole career.

Yeah but he hasn't been a particularly good one in the majors. This isn't Severino-in-2016, we saw that Severino could dominate as a starter in 2015.

I think the odds are much higher this turns into another Joba situation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah but he hasn't been a particularly good one in the majors. This isn't Severino-in-2016, we saw that Severino could dominate as a starter in 2015.

I don't see the downside with letting him try to start. Even if he ends up back in the pen which is probably what happens.

Also, The Yankees aren't Trump. Trump is gauche neu money from the lovely outer Burroughs without any real accomplishments. The yankees are old money. They are the Kennedys/Roosevelts of baseball teams.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 15, 2017

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
I lurk like a dink but I'd post in a Yankees thread, hiya y'all. For some reason I remember Chad Green looking really good as a starter in 2016 despite his numbers suggesting he was, in fact, Quite Bad. Maybe I only saw the good starts. I'm sure Chance Adams is coming so I wouldn't mind leaving him a reliever, but I think he's earned a shot to try starting again.

I hope Judge wins MVP and they make him not trash in next year's version of The Show, I could never get his timing right.

Kiss the rings, fuggedaboutit, etc.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chad Green had one game as a starter that made me think he had top of the rotation stuff. I think it was against Toronto, he struck out 11 in like 6 innings but he labored hard for those six innings

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
What was the drama with girardi? Steiny just said he wouldve fired him even if they won the WS

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

There is no universe where Stanton to the Yankees makes any sense. That isn't happening.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

There is no universe where Stanton to the Yankees makes any sense. That isn't happening.

Dinger Universe. It's real, and I live there.

mcmagic posted:

I don't see the downside with letting him try to start. Even if he ends up back in the pen which is probably what happens.

The issue I see is that it means they don't try to re-sign CC, and then you go into ST with Green penciled in for 5th starter, it doesn't work out, and you end up having to pull a guy up from AAA or spot start or something. That would be a bad spot for this team to be in.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

got any sevens posted:

What was the drama with girardi? Steiny just said he wouldve fired him even if they won the WS

I had heard that they wanted to go with a more analytic style of management and he was resistant to changing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

VikingSkull posted:

I had heard that they wanted to go with a more analytic style of management and he was resistant to changing.

I don't buy this, Joe was really into analytics (although probably not the degree the FO wanted him to be). I think his relationship with the FO just broke down over time, which I can totally see since he always seemed so drat tight.

Also the non-challenge in ALDS Game 2 had to have been instructive to some degree. Not necessarily in that he didn't actually challenge, but that he completely ignored Sanchez very clearly yelling that the ball hit the bat and Joe didn't even seem to consider doing anything.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't buy this, Joe was really into analytics (although probably not the degree the FO wanted him to be). I think his relationship with the FO just broke down over time, which I can totally see since he always seemed so drat tight.

Also the non-challenge in ALDS Game 2 had to have been instructive to some degree. Not necessarily in that he didn't actually challenge, but that he completely ignored Sanchez very clearly yelling that the ball hit the bat and Joe didn't even seem to consider doing anything.

Yeah I could buy that because he really does seem grumpy all the time. The thing is though they've been a top down team for decades now so either you're on board with that or you get tossed. Torre was perfect in a lot of ways because he could deal with that, and Joe really seems like he's more abrasive.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

So his career will be undone by a swarm of midges?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

So his career will be undone by a swarm of midges?

HEY GET OUTTA HERE YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Aaron Boone and Hensley Meulens both interviewed today

https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/931636405121495040

Boone is saying the right things, but I think I'd prefer Meulens over him

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Meulens interviewed yesterday, but yeah, he's still my preferred choice as of now.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 18, 2017

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Inspector_666 posted:

Meulens interviewed yesterday, but yeah, he's still my preferred choice as of now.

Knowing nothing at all about the process but just based on what I've read about each candidate, Bam Bam is the guy I'd like as well. He speaks five languages, so he could talk to everyone on the team in their own native language, including Tanaka (and Ohtani).

https://twitter.com/BrendanKutyNJ/status/931636632532541442

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/yankeespr/status/932764850031398912

I feel that all the kids that get picked up will make it back to NYY

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Here is a fun story that involves both the Yankees and Donald Trump:
http://www.complex.com/life/2016/11/donald-trump-jr-college-classmate-claims-trump-knocked-son-ground-in-front-friends-once

quote:

I was hanging out in a freshman dorm with some friends, next door to Donald Jr.'s room. I walked out of the room to find Donald Trump at his son's door, there to pick him up for a baseball game. There were quite a few students standing around watching, trying to catch a glimpse of the famed real estate magnate. Don Jr. opened the door, wearing a Yankee jersey. Without saying a word, his father slapped him across the face, knocking him to the floor in front of all of his classmates. He simply said "put on a suit and meet me outside," and closed the door.
:smugdon:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/yankeespr/status/932764850031398912

I feel that all the kids that get picked up will make it back to NYY

I need to see what Nestor Cortes can do, but he's probably most likely to stick somewhere else, even if they just stash him in a bullpen...

Loaisiga must be really good, he's missed most of the last two seasons and was only in like, A ball this year.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/YankeesPR/status/933066693957636096

so Judge did have something up with his shoulder, wonder if this started around the time his numbers went into the toilet for a bit

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/YankeesPR/status/933066693957636096

so Judge did have something up with his shoulder, wonder if this started around the time his numbers went into the toilet for a bit

It probably did. He started icing his shoulder around the time he went into his slump but kept insisting that it had nothing to do with the slump and that nothing was wrong. There were even multiple speculative articles written in mid August about a possible shoulder injury that could be causing his drop is numbers and the big strikeout streak.

If I remember correctly, he also stopped icing his shoulder heavily in September around the time he was starting to play better again.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

It's completely different in that Joba should have been a legit good starter and he was ruined outside of his own issues. Green was always fringe so who cares. It doesn't matter if they stretch him out, if he's not lighting the world on fire, he can always go back to the bullpen.

If we're freaking out about the fifth starter in November, you really don't have serious problems. I think CC was running on fumes and shouldn't be re-signed. Tanaka/Severino/Gray/Montgomery, sign some innings eating vet, throw a prospect or two in the mix, and they have plenty of long relief/5th starter types.

Let's talk about more important stuff, like getting Castro the gently caress off the roster.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kim Jong Il posted:

Let's talk about more important stuff, like getting Castro the gently caress off the roster.

The gently caress?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
100% re-sign CC, and as far as 2B/Castro goes... Gleybaby is coming.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
He's a hacker, he plays lovely defense, and he's absolutely at the peak of his value - partially due to Yankee Stadium. He's in the bottom third of 2Bs in the league.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

100% re-sign CC, and as far as 2B/Castro goes... Gleybaby is coming.

If they get Ohtani it probably doesn't make sense to bring CC back.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/936749220962492417

Whoops I edited my old message instead of posting a new one. Basically Beltran and Thomson were told they were no longer candidates for the position and Thomson is going to be the new bench coach for Philly.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 2, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Gimme Bam Bam please. We need two knights on one team.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bam Bam/Beltran 2018, or at least one can hope

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Looks like it’s Boone.

https://twitter.com/hankschulman/status/936759275367493632?s=17

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/936759725647106049?s=17

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's very easy to see why people hate the Yankees whenever you watch a Yankees press conference.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: poo poo I clicked the wrong thread, thought this was n/v

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mcmagic posted:

It's very easy to see why people hate the Yankees whenever you watch a Yankees press conference.

Red Sox, too. That obnoxious Dunkin' Donuts logo everywhere is a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Red Sox, too. That obnoxious Dunkin' Donuts logo everywhere is a bit much.

I'm #YankeesOnly as gently caress but AMERICA RUNS ON DUNKIN, BITCH.

• Locked thread