Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I said the red TOS movie uniforms are tied for the best because they look like actual naval uniforms. They're a little old timey Horatio Hornblower style, but they're still clearly naval uniforms.

The late DS9 uniforms are also the best because they're the other Trek uniforms that actually pass as being uniforms and not pyjammas.

A big problem with all Trek uniforms is a lack of pockets though. Yes, I know nobody has to carry around their wallet and car keys anymore. But people still need to carry stuff. Especially if you're a quasi-military outfit \ explorers. Maybe you don't need pockets aboard the Enterprise-D, but when you beam down to a planet, you are at the very least going to need a flashlight, Swiss Army knife, emergency first aid stuff, etc.

Speaking of flashlights, the palm flashlights in Star Trek are super dumb. And a lot of phasers are like TV remotes instead of guns. Apparently ergonomics don't exist in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

One of the few things I liked about Enterprise were the uniforms. They looked like something people working on a spaceship would actually be issued.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gammatron 64 posted:

A big problem with all Trek uniforms is a lack of pockets though. Yes, I know nobody has to carry around their wallet and car keys anymore. But people still need to carry stuff. Especially if you're a quasi-military outfit \ explorers. Maybe you don't need pockets aboard the Enterprise-D, but when you beam down to a planet, you are at the very least going to need a flashlight, Swiss Army knife, emergency first aid stuff, etc.

Well on the one hand ....

.... but on the other hand

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

counterfeitsaint posted:

or some kind of ski outfit sweater with the most worthless flap ever (TOS Movies)

What a bad opinion.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wait, why is this one ridiculous?

Because the idea that humanity as a whole went straight-up vegan, but then still made fake meat with replicators, is intrinsically stupid for two reasons: 1) all humans going vegan? I thought ST took place in a utopia! If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat, and if we don't eat meat, then the animals win. Oh, and 2) OK, so they're vegan, and presumably have been so for years. So... why do they still want meat so bad that they figured out how to replicate a constant supply?

But, the objective truths I've provided above notwithstanding, that one was so ridiculous that it was almost immediately abandoned. You never again hear any human tell any alien that what they've seen that looked as "fresh and tasty as meat" (Seriously?? Vegans only say bullshit like that when they're trying to assimilate a normal person!) was replicated, and later you can see them eating actual, non-replicated meat. I think Sisko even made a feast once, and proudly said that he hadn't replicated the... turkey? I think it was turkey.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tarlibone posted:

I think Sisko even made a feast once, and proudly said that he hadn't replicated the... turkey? I think it was turkey.

Riker also cooked that giant egg that one time, something a vegan would be horrified at. So yea, the idea that everyone went vegan is bullshit.

Also, Sisko's dad's restaurant uses actual shellfish.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

tarlibone posted:

Because the idea that humanity as a whole went straight-up vegan, but then still made fake meat with replicators, is intrinsically stupid for two reasons: 1) all humans going vegan? I thought ST took place in a utopia! If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat, and if we don't eat meat, then the animals win. Oh, and 2) OK, so they're vegan, and presumably have been so for years. So... why do they still want meat so bad that they figured out how to replicate a constant supply?

But, the objective truths I've provided above notwithstanding, that one was so ridiculous that it was almost immediately abandoned. You never again hear any human tell any alien that what they've seen that looked as "fresh and tasty as meat" (Seriously?? Vegans only say bullshit like that when they're trying to assimilate a normal person!) was replicated, and later you can see them eating actual, non-replicated meat. I think Sisko even made a feast once, and proudly said that he hadn't replicated the... turkey? I think it was turkey.

gettin extra mad and makin logical fallacies about season 1 tng itt

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
And on the sixth day, they did go forth among the people and sperg the gently caress out about Star Trek for some reason...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

gettin extra mad and makin logical fallacies about season 1 tng itt

Yeah, I lost it a bit there. Even as a youngster, the "fresh and tasty as meat" line and the sentiment that the following lines conveyed stuck in my head as absurd. When it was dropped completely and contradicted in short order, I was relieved.

But back to Orville.

I wonder if the humans on that show are vegetarian. I'd be surprised if it doesn't come up (or if it hasn't).

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, I lost it a bit there. Even as a youngster, the "fresh and tasty as meat" line and the sentiment that the following lines conveyed stuck in my head as absurd. When it was dropped completely and contradicted in short order, I was relieved.

But back to Orville.

I wonder if the humans on that show are vegetarian. I'd be surprised if it doesn't come up (or if it hasn't).

Malloy was already eating sushi, replicated sure, but I don't think replicated meat is any less meat than lab grown meat right now is. It didn't come from an animal, but its meat, which, honestly if you have replicators why would you eeeeeever waste all the massive resources for factory farming of livestock?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

They have replicators, so they likely eat whatever they want, like steaks or cacti.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You can't replicate live gagh probably (who knows what the Orville can do)

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

tarlibone posted:

I don't remember this bit. Sounds like something they'd have a Ferengi say.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

Malloy was already eating sushi, replicated sure, but I don't think replicated meat is any less meat than lab grown meat right now is. It didn't come from an animal, but its meat, which, honestly if you have replicators why would you eeeeeever waste all the massive resources for factory farming of livestock?

Good question. But, it's one you wouldn't ask if you'd ever met a die-hard consumer of all-natural, free-range, certified-organic, artisanal meats and other foods. I can totally see humanity devoting entire planets to "naturally" raising livestock so that the meat that they eat is as natural as galactically possible. Hell, it might even go full-circle and they go back to standard, 20th century factory-livestock farming methods to get that "authentic" 20th century hamburger flavor, seeing as how this society has no pop culture post 2017, and how they're obsessed with 20th/21st century culture.

Replicators make sense on a ship, where storage and preparation of meat becomes a major strain on systems. But, on Earth, I bet they're eating GMO cowpigs that by themselves can provide most of the ingredients of a delicious bacon cheeseburger... except for the fancy folks who only eat bacon cheeseburgers made with large-herd, grain-fed cattle, American processed cheese, and bacon made from actual pigs that are raised in pig "farms" with cages and concrete floors.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

tarlibone posted:

Good question. But, it's one you wouldn't ask if you'd ever met a die-hard consumer of all-natural, free-range, certified-organic, artisanal meats and other foods. I can totally see humanity devoting entire planets to "naturally" raising livestock so that the meat that they eat is as natural as galactically possible. Hell, it might even go full-circle and they go back to standard, 20th century factory-livestock farming methods to get that "authentic" 20th century hamburger flavor, seeing as how this society has no pop culture post 2017, and how they're obsessed with 20th/21st century culture.

Replicators make sense on a ship, where storage and preparation of meat becomes a major strain on systems. But, on Earth, I bet they're eating GMO cowpigs that by themselves can provide most of the ingredients of a delicious bacon cheeseburger... except for the fancy folks who only eat bacon cheeseburgers made with large-herd, grain-fed cattle, American processed cheese, and bacon made from actual pigs that are raised in pig "farms" with cages and concrete floors.

I honestly doubt it. It seems like a lot of work and effort for no gain.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Peachfart posted:

I honestly doubt it. It seems like a lot of work and effort for no gain.

Have you been to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's? Or even Target or Cosco for that matter?

It's big business.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

tarlibone posted:

I could see a cottage industry for specific examples, sure, but if everyone has a replicator in their home, you wouldn't even go shopping or maybe even have a kitchen in your home period. Why would you want to go to a store (remember theres no transporters), shop around, cook food, all that, when you can come home from work, say "steak medium rare with a salad and fried chicken" and it appears instantly in front of you. I think it would be analogous to us in 2017 each having a chicken coup in our backyards or a special room in our apartments, and raising killing and processing all our chickens. You might have the rare folks like today who do actually raise chickens in their backyard, but they're such a minority it hardly counts towards anything.

EDIT: Along this path, I think you'd see the end of farming in general, again outside of niche uses. I mean, you look at google earth on the USA, and some place like Iowa looks really green, but you zoom in and realize its 100% nothing but farmland. How nice would it be to reclaim all that across the globe for forests, nature preserves, expansive homes, or whatever else would give us far more joy in a utopian society than a majority of our landmass being farm land.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 15, 2017

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Aleph Null posted:

Have you been to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's? Or even Target or Cosco for that matter?

It's big business.

This. Pretty much the only reason why beef doesn't cost $50/lb today is because we do it on such as massive scale.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I completely agree but also

Tom Guycot posted:

chicken coup

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Bloop posted:

lmao, definitely not going back to change it now.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

EDIT: Along this path, I think you'd see the end of farming in general, again outside of niche uses. I mean, you look at google earth on the USA, and some place like Iowa looks really green, but you zoom in and realize its 100% nothing but farmland. How nice would it be to reclaim all that across the globe for forests, nature preserves, expansive homes, or whatever else would give us far more joy in a utopian society than a majority of our landmass being farm land.

You make a good point so I won't argue, but... well, Iowa? Yeah, it wasn't always corn. Before it was corn, it was grass. Just like Illinois and a lot of the land in the Midwest, all the way through the plains. Literally nothing but grass with occasional wooded areas that were there only because grass didn't want to be there.

Now, all of that said... replication on such a grand scale would have to gobble up some resources. Law of conservation of mass and energy 'n all that. Feeding a ship's crew on magic manna from machines is one thing; feeding an entire planet is another. I'd like to think that for those living on Earth, a lot of their food is grown the old fashioned way.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Replicators are magical future tech, please don't try to fit them logically into the present, as it is stupid.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently FOX decided not to air the season finale of the Orville. They are reportedly cutting the season after the penultimate episode and airing the finale as part of season 2.

I know it wasn't a cliffhanger but WTF

also, I imagine there will be some cosmetic changes in season 2 so it might stand out oddly.

Weird.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tarlibone posted:

Can't you tell the replicator "make this beef molecularly identical to authentic grass fed beef" and it will do it? Why would you need to actually raise the cow that way?

Like, it's loving sci fi, I assume that the replicators make the best possible version of the food possible.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Fox is mishandling a sci-fi series?

Say it ain't so.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Can't you tell the replicator "make this beef molecularly identical to authentic grass fed beef" and it will do it? Why would you need to actually raise the cow that way?

Whole Foods. Trader Joe's. All-Natural. No GMOs.

For a future society that seems like it somehow advanced a few hundred years while still being straight out of the early 21st century (i.e., the entire cast of Orville), I just don't see them suddenly embracing 100% artificiality.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tarlibone posted:

Whole Foods. Trader Joe's. All-Natural. No GMOs.

For a future society that seems like it somehow advanced a few hundred years while still being straight out of the early 21st century (i.e., the entire cast of Orville), I just don't see them suddenly embracing 100% artificiality.

But that's my point. You can tell the replicator "Make me a hamburger made from 21st century Whole Foods All Natural Non-GMO beef" and it will do it. Why go through the effort of raising and slaughtering livestock?

It's just rearranging molecules.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Apparently FOX decided not to air the season finale of the Orville. They are reportedly cutting the season after the penultimate episode and airing the finale as part of season 2.

also, I imagine there will be some cosmetic changes in season 2 so it might stand out oddly.

Weird.

They did the same thing to Lucifer, but they shifted four episodes from one to two.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I can believe that most people in the Federation are vegans, because by the TNG era, most people are giant pussies. They don't even know how to throw a proper punch most of the time.

But not everyone is a pussy. You know who isn't? Ben Sisko. Sisko plays sports, knows how to punch people and he eats actual meat. He does not sip earl grey tea.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well on the one hand ....

.... but on the other hand

These pictures demonstrate why pockets are a good thing that your clothes should have.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

WampaLord posted:

But that's my point. You can tell the replicator "Make me a hamburger made from 21st century Whole Foods All Natural Non-GMO beef" and it will do it. Why go through the effort of raising and slaughtering livestock?

if you want a type of beef that is in the replicator's pattern database, sure. which is most likely enough for 99% of the population

i imagine that anything to do with livestock in a replicator-using society mostly involves experimental breeding/gene mods to create new types of meat to be analysed for replication, or attempts to replicate historical meats for the same purpose

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The Bloop posted:

Weird.

Classic FOX. Didn't they do this with a bunch of the early seasons of The Simpsons, too? Was that so they could have some stuff to air before that year's Treehouse of Horror episode?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

WampaLord posted:

We can replicate a lot of different flavour molecules right now, that are chemically identical to those found in fruits and whatnot, yet people still buy poo poo that's advertised as containing no artificial flavours for no particularly good reason.

People are stupid. I don't see that changing in the future.

Buying naturally raised meat will also be a status symbol because it will be needlessly expensive and unnecessary.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

Weird.

Of all the episodes to cut, why not the Rob Lowe Weinstein one? If it is based on timing.

Do we know how many episodes they ordered for S2? Hopefully this is just so they can make it longer for less money.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 15, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gammatron 64 posted:

I said the red TOS movie uniforms are tied for the best because they look like actual naval uniforms. They're a little old timey Horatio Hornblower style,

That's exactly what makes them the best.

tarlibone posted:

I enjoy eating meat, too much so in fact, but if you handed me a vat-grown (or 'replicated', or whatever) meat substitute that tasted at least as good (and didn't cost $1000 a burger) I'd have no problems switching to that over "real" meat. And if I grew up eating vat meat, I'd probably be way more militant about how it was totally unnecessary to consign animals (and some humans, honestly) to brutal conditions for the sake of cheap meat.

In other words, we don't know that replicators came before mass veganism in TNG.

I'm not sure I'd call it 'enslavement' but honestly, I actually really do hope we get to a point someday where most meat doesn't require raising and butchering animals.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The food dispensers on Discovery remind me of the chatty cigarette dispenser in the Fifth Element

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Of all the episodes to cut, why not the Rob Lowe Weinstein one? If it is based on timing.

Maybe it’s the follow-up episode where the crew of the Orville opine at length about how Darulio did no wrong, if you really think about it, and maybe we should all relax a bit, y’know?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Bloop posted:

The chickens had choppers, the cows had guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwBFkT_KZr8

Also, waiting for the Orville to visit the Whole Foods planet where they make the shocking discovery that the cows aren't certified organic after all

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with eating animals. Like if I was a cow, and you gave me a lot of grass and I lived a good long happy cow life on a farm, but when it's time for the end I get eaten, I think that's a pretty fair deal. Or if you're a hunter and you shoot a deer and eat venison, that's only natural.

Like, think of it this way. Imagine you get abducted by space aliens. And they're like "hey, we will provide you with a hedonistic fantasy life full of sex, drugs, booze, rock n roll, you know, fun stuff. But in exchange the deal is once you turn 60 years old, we kill and eat you." I think plenty of people would be like "ok, that sounds fair, it sounds better than the life I got now, sign me up."

The thing I don't like is that most livestock is typically kept in the most nightmarish I humane conditions imaginable. But I also really like meat a whole lot so I try not to think about that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Please don't make this about the morality of eating meat, when I just wanted to discuss how hypothetical replicators work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Please don't make this about the morality of eating meat, when I just wanted to discuss how hypothetical replicators work.

I like to think that replicators require some kind of... well not fuel per se, but some kind of ultra-generic matter that is designed to have its molecules re-arranged into anything from food to quantum spark plugs. Sure, there are some things it can't replicate--mainly plot-dependent phlebotinum like fuel crystals or some ultra-rare metal used as money in an alien society that didn't give up on capitalism, for example. But everything else is fair game. Turn this stuff into meat, vegetables, angle brackets, and Harbor Freight belt sanders. Recycle bins return the rusted brackets, broken tools, and human poop back into this starting material.

And this'll blow your mind: that material? It's harvested from soybean- and corn-fed future sheep that have been engineered to have a coat of meat instead of wool. It's harvested by low-paid aliens, but it's plentiful, renewable, very much made out of animals, and super-useful in the future. And, it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

And it's crazy delicious.

I say we call it "hyle."