Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I remember reading a review of EU 3 in a physical magazine, thinking that I would never, ever play this impossible looking game.

And I was right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

tombom posted:

They improved it significantly with expansions but on release it was definitely this hideous. The gameplay was pretty awful too, there was a reason Magna Mundi became so big

ah yeah, that makes sense, I didn't play EU3 until after IN was released

I feel that EU2's graphics hold up a lot better, which I guess is pretty typical of the transition from good 2d graphics to bad 3d graphics in games

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

tombom posted:

They improved it significantly with expansions but on release it was definitely this hideous. The gameplay was pretty awful too, there was a reason Magna Mundi became so big
That's not even EU3 at release-- Austria was initially red, and only switched over to white in a later patch. Also, the Byzantine Empire was only added with the In Nomine expansion.

Basically, that's how pretty EU3 was after years of patches and multiple expansions. It only got vaguely pretty years later, when Divine Wind rolled out.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Ofaloaf posted:

It only got vaguely pretty years later, when Divine Wind rolled out.

The Divine Wind map is still prettier than EU4's :colbert:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ofaloaf posted:

That's not even EU3 at release-- Austria was initially red, and only switched over to white in a later patch. Also, the Byzantine Empire was only added with the In Nomine expansion.

Basically, that's how pretty EU3 was after years of patches and multiple expansions. It only got vaguely pretty years later, when Divine Wind rolled out.

Yep. That's from EU3: Complete*. Sadly that image is so old I have no idea what the gently caress was going on in that game anymore.

*not actually complete

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I felt like EU2 looked better than EU3 and there were a bunch of changes in EU3 that I didnt like so I pretty much never played it, then somehow still bought 4 the day it came out (I think?).

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
One of my first serious games of eu4 got ruined by the Ottomans inheriting a successful expansive Timurids. I kinda wish I'd continued the game just so I could watch a viable AI WC.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Ofaloaf posted:

Also, the Byzantine Empire was only added with the In Nomine expansion.

:pwn: I only played DW, what was the setup for Greece/Anatolia before that?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Allyn posted:

prior to IN the earliest start date was 1453 IIRC

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Allyn posted:

The game started in 1453, after the fall of Constantinople. In Nomine pushed the start date back to 1399

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I feel like my memory is playing tricks on me because I don't remember EU3 looking that ugly

Either In Nomine or Heir to the Throne changed the ground tecture to be less grainy, and then Divine Wind replaced the map with a completely new 2D one.

And of course, there were countless mapmods that made even the 3D map look beautiful, and whose aesthetic qualities I sometimes still miss. Specifically, the hand drawn map mod by pplaza user strannik:

There was also a Theatrum Orbis Terrarum for EU3 whose author I don't know off the top of my head; this was my preferred mapmod:

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 15, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I was honestly taken aback by how ugly pre-DW EU3 was when I was taking a trip down memory lane earlier this year, going through the various versions of EU3. I played the hell out of IN and HttT and I didn't remember it being that ugly either. Divine Wind makes it look passable, though. Pre-DW, aesthetic map mods were pretty much mandatory. The one Strannik made ended up being the inspiration for Paradox's Divine Wind map redesign. DW also upped the map file's resolution, which meant way neater borders and coastlines and stuff.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Allyn posted:

In addition to everything else already said, the 1453 startdate and lack of a Byzantine tag meant that when Greek provinces revolted, they sometimes revolted in extraordinarily strange ways. I'm pretty sure more games ended with a 'Greece' in Crimea than with a Greece in Actual Greece.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ofaloaf posted:

In addition to everything else already said, the 1453 startdate and lack of a Byzantine tag meant that when Greek provinces revolted, they sometimes revolted in extraordinarily strange ways. I'm pretty sure more games ended with a 'Greece' in Crimea than with a Greece in Actual Greece.

Yes, this was extremely common right up into early EU4 if I recall. Just one of those weird quirks of the games like the famed Muslim Lusignans of Cyprus

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

YF-23 posted:

And of course, there were countless mapmods that made even the 3D map look beautiful, and whose aesthetic qualities I sometimes still miss. Specifically, the hand drawn map mod by pplaza user strannik:

That looks fantastic.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

skasion posted:

Yes, this was extremely common right up into early EU4 if I recall. Just one of those weird quirks of the games like the famed Muslim Lusignans of Cyprus

I had a Muslim Lusignan Cyprus in my Florence->Tuscany->"get beat up by Naples and France because Austria took Mantua and Verona" game, I have no idea how it happened.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[runs into imperial court sweating, panting, hands on knees] a three-province minor lithuanian vassal is seeking independence

[mingishly] freedom is the right of all sentient nations

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm writing the new OP now for the expansion tomorrow, if anyone has title suggestions say them now or else I'm just gonna do a search for whatever was the last semi-decent one

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.

Koramei posted:

I'm writing the new OP now for the expansion tomorrow, if anyone has title suggestions say them now or else I'm just gonna do a search for whatever was the last semi-decent one

Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of DLC

(As you can see, I’m terrible at this)

Or maybe
Europa Universalis IV: The Cradle for the Civilized

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Koramei posted:

I'm partial to this one from about a month ago.

Fister Roboto posted:

COME ON AND JAM

AND WELCOME TO ISLAM

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Europa Universalis IV: The Qat's in the Cradle

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Europa Universalis IV: Freedom is the right of all sentient OPMs

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
From the Cradle to the Trade

There's probably a better version of this out there somewhere but I can't find it :shrug:

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Europa Universalis IV: The Kebab's in the Cradle and the Bahmani Pune

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Xinder posted:

Yeah that one, it’s pretty great.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xinder posted:

Voting on this as well

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Europa Universalis IV: COME ON AND JAM, AND WELCOME TO ISLAM

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Europa Universalis IV: COME ON AND JAM, AND WELCOME TO ISLAM

seriously it needs to be this

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Surely we all get some sort of CB if it's not that.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Surely we all get some sort of CB if it's not that.

Restoration of Title

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

:agreed:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Europa Universalis IV: Don't Buy Mandate Of Heaven, It Is Still A Broken Piece Of poo poo

I'm not bitter at all.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
new thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840754&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post478441780

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I feel like my memory is playing tricks on me because I don't remember EU3 looking that ugly

I remember quite clearly, it was that ugly

e: ops new thread

• Locked thread