Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

For me, it's rock solid, smooth and fast. There are GUI quirks, but that's just habit. The only addon I lost was Flashstopper, which will annoy me as soon as I click a news link and some retarded non-content "engagement" fluff starts autoplaying. Perhaps time to try writing my own addon sooner or later. How hard can it be. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
FF57: Has anyone else's ublock origin stopped working for custom rulesets, and the eye-dropper selection button no longer does anything? It still seems to be blocking ads from the selected lists, but a bunch of crap on sites I manually filtered out are back and I can't get rid of them anymore.

Already tried reinstalling the extension (v 1.14.18, the new webext one which I was using just fine on FF56), no dice.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I decided to hold off on updating my desktop until the addon situation is at least a little bit better, but I did update the Android version.

Holy poo poo, the new tab page is completely worthless now!
The tiles with most-visited sites are now lovely little favicons with barely any indication where they lead to. And it defaults to having half the screen being taken up by "recommended by Pocket" clickbait "articles".
Then, when you turn those off it shows you "highlights" which are random domains you visited some time ago, instead of actual pages you visited. And if you tap one of them it'll just go to apparently a random page on that domain, regardless if you ever visited that one or not, while the label only shows you the domain. So you can't even be sure if you'll be sent to where you want to go.

Is there any way to fix this mess? Or alternatively, what browsers for Android exist that are not Chrome and also support uBlock Origin?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Desuwa posted:

Mozilla was chomping at the bit to get quantum out the door, whether it was ready or not

astral posted:

Mozilla did a really lovely job of handling __________ both from the developer and user perspectives.
Its a feature theme.

Geemer posted:

what browsers for Android exist that are not Chrome and also support uBlock Origin?
Its not uBlock, but I have Ghostery Browser on a device and its still running smoothly and quickly. (I am making no claims about its actual privacy features.)

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Do they have a gas leak at Mozilla.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

FF57: Has anyone else's ublock origin stopped working for custom rulesets, and the eye-dropper selection button no longer does anything? It still seems to be blocking ads from the selected lists, but a bunch of crap on sites I manually filtered out are back and I can't get rid of them anymore.

Already tried reinstalling the extension (v 1.14.18, the new webext one which I was using just fine on FF56), no dice.
These are exactly the same symptoms I had on FF for Android 56 with any uBlock over v 1.13, so I stuck with an older uBlock version for a while. Not that that is any great help at this point. Seems to work now since it got updated to 57 and 1.14.8, even though I lost my filters in the process. I thought "oh no, they broke it again" but the list just was empty and any new rules I add get applied now.

So not a lot of troubleshooting I can offer, but maybe check whether your filters are actually still there and if they are, export them for safe keeping.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

loga mira posted:

Do they have a gas leak at Mozilla.

Mozilla really, really, really trying to get me to abandon them even after I've been using their browser since before it was called Firefox.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

axeil posted:

Mozilla really, really, really trying to get me to abandon them even after I've been using their browser since before it was called Firefox.

Uncheck it, and their attempt will be in vain.

I also unchecked highlights, and checked show two rows under top sites. Looks fine.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ola posted:

I also unchecked highlights, and checked show two rows under top sites. Looks fine.

I'm not sure that a couple of teeny tiny icons in a massive sea of empty space is "fine".

Fortunately you can about :config to add more than just 2 rows of bookmarks to that page so it doesn't look as dumb.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I'm not sure that a couple of teeny tiny icons in a massive sea of empty space is "fine".

Fortunately you can about :config to add more than just 2 rows of bookmarks to that page so it doesn't look as dumb.

Making the icons big enough to fill the screen makes it look like a child's play telephone. Filling it with tons of buttons defeats the purpose of a quick overview of "most visited". Resolution and OS scaling might make the sea of empty bigger, looks fine and airy on my 1920x1080, 125%

See also:

Ola posted:

There are GUI quirks, but that's just habit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ola posted:

Making the icons big enough to fill the screen makes it look like a child's play telephone. Filling it with tons of buttons defeats the purpose of a quick overview of "most visited". Resolution and OS scaling might make the sea of empty bigger, looks fine and airy on my 1920x1080, 125%

I'm glad that I learned today that nothing creates a more mature work environment than wasted real-estate and having less functionality.
I'll make sure to write that down so I don't forget.

Also, having two arms is also just a habit. You can easily learn to live with just one arm.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ola posted:

Uncheck it, and their attempt will be in vain.

That's not the point.

The point is they shouldn't be including poo poo like that in here.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
And I thought the stupid toaster notifications that popped up when I started FF mobile were annoying.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

axeil posted:

That's not the point.

The point is they shouldn't be including poo poo like that in here.

I too wish software didn't include stupid poo poo. I once installed the Ask Toolbar on accident for crying out loud. But as a civilization, we are far past the point where any software doesn't. Stupid poo poo in software is like traffic jams or HR meetings, appreciate the moments when you can swiftly and quietly opt out.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ola posted:

I too wish software didn't include stupid poo poo. I once installed the Ask Toolbar on accident for crying out loud. But as a civilization, we are far past the point where any software doesn't. Stupid poo poo in software is like traffic jams or HR meetings, appreciate the moments when you can swiftly and quietly opt out.

It really undermines the case for Firefox though.

With them destroying the extension economy and starting to include the same things people hate about Chrome/Edge, and still not being as resource-efficient as Chrome, I'm not sure what the market for Firefox is.

It's very frustrating. I really want to keep using Firefox but they keep making it more and more difficult to justify not jumping to Chrome.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The main thing for me is the tree style tabs, which doesn't exist in chrome at all.

SALR on there is... a shadow of the one used for Firefox.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I was using an extension to change the size of Firefox's font so I could actually read tabs on my laptop (seriously even on 1080p the text is not just small, but also the thinnest most invisible font possible, ugh) and apparently it stopped working over dinner. Literally came back to mouse-sized UI text and a message from the creators that the new extension system means its functionality isn't available any more.

Please tell me Firefox has some way of changing this implemented properly in the browser already, whether new or something I just missed whatever year I installed and promptly forgot about this extension.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh right, and I miss the vimperator addon but that one was effectively dead well before the API change :smith:

(Vimium is fine, but I miss my ctrl-a and ctrl-x functionality, as well as gu working the way it did in Vimperator)

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The only problem I'm having with the new Firefox is that lack of SALR and Keefox but that is proving to be fairly obnoxious. I miss being able to just hit alt to bring up my SA stuff :(

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Desuwa posted:

I decided I'd give FF57 an honest shot before I'm forced to use it or abandon FF but it has been the most dreadful evening.

The worst of it has to be the extensions. The extensions that work have all been rewritten from scratch in a very short period of time to use webextensions, and it shows. They're buggy as hell and many are missing core features that aren't going to be possible until later versions of FF.

Tree style tabs has been janky too - likely because of the rewrite - with tabs getting inserted at random points in the list when I try to organize them (dragging it on top of a tab and having it appear under one of its siblings, really weird). I once restarted Firefox and all the tabs had "shifted" by one spot "vertically" down the tab list, scrambling my trees.

That's ignoring the extensions that aren't currently possible and the many that will never get API support. My context menus are barely usable until I figure out a good way to get a list of context items to hide.

It's still not possible to see where the CPU usage is, a couple times I've had it spinning 25-30% of my CPU while about :performance looks perfectly clean. None of my tabs had a habit of doing that under 52 ESR. At least it restarts faster.

Mozilla never did fix the old developer toolbox bug where sometimes it just will not start without deleting stuff from your profile, but at least now you can hold down ctrl-shift-alt-I long enough and Firefox will forget that it's pretending to be broken.

I know Mozilla was chomping at the bit to get quantum out the door, whether it was ready or not, but I was still hoping it was going to be better than this. It feels like I'm on beta software, not a stable release. Sure you can say a lot of that is due to extensions, but when all the extensions have problems it's really not their problem anymore, it's Firefox's problem.

all my extensions work fine??

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Insurrectionist posted:

I was using an extension to change the size of Firefox's font so I could actually read tabs on my laptop (seriously even on 1080p the text is not just small, but also the thinnest most invisible font possible, ugh) and apparently it stopped working over dinner. Literally came back to mouse-sized UI text and a message from the creators that the new extension system means its functionality isn't available any more.

Please tell me Firefox has some way of changing this implemented properly in the browser already, whether new or something I just missed whatever year I installed and promptly forgot about this extension.

I would think this would be possible editing userChrome.css, no?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

I would think this would be possible editing userChrome.css, no?

That may be, but I have no idea how I'd go about doing so.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How do I go back to the last version of Firefox without it updating?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, I'm finally trying out Firefox, again.
It was my primary browser starting with Phoenix 0.1, but (like many others), I found Google Chrome scaled and performed much better on newer hardware, so I switched to it some time ago.

This new Firefox 57 seems to finally perform as well as Chrome, so I'm giving it another shot.

The default look is so ugly, though. Square, boxy tabs makes it look like some old version of Opera.
I then found this page:

https://github.com/wilfredwee/photon-australis

Its userChrome.css settings seem to give Firefox 57 the nice, rounded tabs again.

cis autodrag posted:

Why are you worrying about ram in 2017?

Not everyone uses a computer with a ton of RAM. My primary Laptop and Desktop have a ton, but my secondary systems (and a lot of the computers my clients use) still only have 2-4GB of RAM.

Firefox (pre 57) performed best on those systems due having fewer processes and using limited RAM.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I finally got around to updating.
Oh my god that new "new tab" thing is ugly and useless. If I hadn't found the hidden setting to keep the old dial I would have had to go back to the old version for that alone.
I actually moved to a fully new profile, with only the syncable customizations active.
The default address bar layout is pretty dumb, I can't believe anybody uses it like that. But at least it is easy to customize.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Insurrectionist posted:

That may be, but I have no idea how I'd go about doing so.
Go to about :support (no space, don't know why it's there)
Click "open folder"
In said folder create a folder called chrome (if not already present)
make a new file called userChrome.css and have its content be this:
code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

#TabsToolbar {
   font-size: 20pt !important
 }
Save the file
Close Firefox (if open)
Open Firefox
Enjoy your giant tab copy size.

Alternatively you can replace #TabsToolbar with *
code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

* {
   font-size: 20pt !important
 }
and make all the text in the UI larger

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 15, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

buncha stuff

Thanks for the help, worked great once I adjusted the size. Ended up leaving it a little bigger than before to compensate for the thicker font I was using but works nicely.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Xenomorph posted:

Well, I'm finally trying out Firefox, again.
[...]
The default look is so ugly, though. Square, boxy tabs makes it look like some old version of Opera.
This is why the rounded vs. square tabs debate will never, ever, EVER be over.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

After some fiddling, 57 isn't too bad. I actually like the compact mode.

The only things I want that I haven't found an extension for are hiding the close buttons on tabs and reopening closed tabs when I middle click the new tab button.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Those rounded/angled Chrome type tabs remind me of terrible early 90s software that tried to be like "computers are easy! look we made this program look like your rolodex or whatever"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

xamphear posted:

This is why the rounded vs. square tabs debate will never, ever, EVER be over.

I think it's their attempt to blend in with Windows 10's basic profile.

That said, the push to Quantum went fairly well for me. Everything works, everything is fast, and outside of not having multi-row tabs and SALR, everything seems fairly decent. Even the new search is growing on me with its ability to tell when I want to just do a Google search and then search one of the few search engines I have installed. That's pretty nifty.

And the reload window button is right by the home button and not on the rightmost part of the address bar. All and all, it was a lot smoother than I thought.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tangential to the whole tabs thing, is there a way to customize the look of the tree style tabs beyond the presets it gives you?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I think it's their attempt to blend in with Windows 10's basic profile.

That said, the push to Quantum went fairly well for me. Everything works, everything is fast, and outside of not having multi-row tabs and SALR, everything seems fairly decent. Even the new search is growing on me with its ability to tell when I want to just do a Google search and then search one of the few search engines I have installed. That's pretty nifty.

And the reload window button is right by the home button and not on the rightmost part of the address bar. All and all, it was a lot smoother than I thought.

There seemed to be a couple options to enable multi-row tabs in :config, but I didn't toy with them because that wasn't the setting I wasn't looking for personally.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

iospace posted:

Tangential to the whole tabs thing, is there a way to customize the look of the tree style tabs beyond the presets it gives you?

Yes, the dev actually added in complete control over every part of the look. If you go into the options, there's a big text box where you can paste in your own CSS styles. It's not documented terribly well right now, but you can adjust pretty much everything. There's a couple examples. Here's what I use to make the tabs look like they did back in pre-57 and to remove the new tab button.
code:
.tab { padding: 0.5px; }
.newtab-button-box { display: none; }

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xamphear posted:

Yes, the dev actually added in complete control over every part of the look. If you go into the options, there's a big text box where you can paste in your own CSS styles. It's not documented terribly well right now, but you can adjust pretty much everything. There's a couple examples. Here's what I use to make the tabs look like they did back in pre-57 and to remove the new tab button.
code:
.tab { padding: 0.5px; }
.newtab-button-box { display: none; }

Alright, thanks!

There's one other issue I'm having but it looks like a collision between two addons (opening a new tab in vimium opens it up as a child)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

iospace posted:

Alright, thanks!

There's one other issue I'm having but it looks like a collision between two addons (opening a new tab in vimium opens it up as a child)
TST tries to guess at when you've opened new tabs from keyboard commands and stuff. By default it's looking for any newly appearing tab with about :newtab as the URL. There's a setting in TST to change the URL it looks for. So if this other addon is opening new tabs to a different default starting URL, you could try that.

VVVV: Ah well, it must be something else going on then.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 15, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xamphear posted:

TST tries to guess at when you've opened new tabs from keyboard commands and stuff. By default it's looking for any newly appearing tab with about :newtab as the URL. There's a setting in TST to change the URL it looks for. So if this other addon is opening new tabs to a different default starting URL, you could try that.

The New tab URL option in Vimium is set to about :newtab

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Geemer posted:

what browsers for Android exist that are not Chrome and also support uBlock Origin?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.emmx&hl=en :dance:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Can someone link me to the documentation for web extensions in ff? I'm not gonna do a full salr rewrite, but I am gonna throw together a replacement for the grenade menu, quote highlighting, the navigator thing, and navigation gestures because I liked those features and I miss them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

cis autodrag posted:

Can someone link me to the documentation for web extensions in ff? I'm not gonna do a full salr rewrite, but I am gonna throw together a replacement for the grenade menu, quote highlighting, the navigator thing, and navigation gestures because I liked those features and I miss them.
Start here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions

Here's a list of all the APIs: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/API