Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
There's a Facebook group of Rugger/Rocky/Fourtrak/Sportrak/Taft owners that may be helpful, and a sub-group of classifieds. You could also use WARFS but it's mostly US Rocky owners asking about 350/350 solid axle swaps and blown head gaskets.

There's a lot of similarity in interior with the US Rocky, so you may be able to make some things work, including that rear right leaf spring. It may just be shackle or spring bushings have failed.

Edit: there's daihatsu Rocky parts Northwest which breaks Rockys too. I also have a bunch of bits if you need anything.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy crap that Crown is badass as well.

Kaker I'm jusy gonna come live in one of your vans.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Does the Rugger pop-top? If so, it's my new 'want' 2d import SUV.

Also, the answer to a question never asked:
http://www.duncanimports.com/used/Daihatsu/1992-Daihatsu-Leeza-b9c46cd30a0e08bb5da7b5e5e417e843.htm

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Holy poo poo it has a 1JZ? Amazing! Dare I ask how much for that beautiful box?

And yes, metal on a tape deck means it'll work properly with those tapes.

Yeah, it has the non-VVT-i version, 1JZ-GE. I posted about my buying of it earlier in the thread:

KakerMix posted:

1990 Toyota Crown Royal Saloon. 2.5L 1JZ-GE, grade 4 and 95000km ~or~ 59030 miles. :getin:
1944 US dollars, less than a grand for each rear wiper :v:

Under 2 grand, but it will cost at least 2500 to get to me at my house, probably closer to 3k considering it's much larger than anything else I've bought. It doesn't need anything at all (besides probably a deep clean like most things) so 5500 all told is pretty good to me. It being a '4' is really nice, 4.5 is the highest something older like this can attain usually. Something like this would be much cheaper if you lived on the West Coast of the US vs me down here in Florida just for transport costs.
I've looked around the internet and I can't find any Toyota Crown wagons at all on the internet that aren't in the east, one super lowered and messed with one in Canada and a few in Russia. One of them was imported into the US but it was a hearse conversion and thus, messed with. I plan on keeping it aesthetically stock 'cause it's weird enough on its own and really want to use it for its intended purpose, cruising listlessly.
I know I talk about this in the OP but I really implore you guys to import some stuff yourself if you are at all interested, I've done 4 so far and it's been easy peasy. These Crown Wagons come up fairly frequently, are not popular, are hella well-built and usually owned by old people so they end up being really nice and really cheap on the auction block. I'd use the Japanese wikipedia to gather information about them and their engines depending on the year as the English wikipedia is wrong as all heck about lots of details (I had to use a URL shortener to link to that because SA would gently caress up the characters and link the the Japanese wikipedia article about ampersand). Plus the Crowns get cool model specific touches like the little crowns on the wheels.

DJ Commie posted:

There's a Facebook group of Rugger/Rocky/Fourtrak/Sportrak/Taft owners that may be helpful, and a sub-group of classifieds. You could also use WARFS but it's mostly US Rocky owners asking about 350/350 solid axle swaps and blown head gaskets.

There's a lot of similarity in interior with the US Rocky, so you may be able to make some things work, including that rear right leaf spring. It may just be shackle or spring bushings have failed.

Edit: there's daihatsu Rocky parts Northwest which breaks Rockys too. I also have a bunch of bits if you need anything.

Thanks for the info, I'm certain I'll need it. I haven't gotten really into it yet besides the pics I took so I'm not sure what outside of that saggy rear end is needed to be looked at.
The other source that can be used is the Toyota Blizzard, identical to the Daihatsus (with the exception of the engines? Maybe?) and easier to get part numbers and things for them because 'Toyota'. Speaking of the Blizzard:

Grade 2 so that rust that is mentioned on the sheet must be pretty bad, I don't have a translation of the sheet though. No A/C either but hey I bet this thing will go super cheap, maybe even sub-1k. I know I've seen people in California with CARB exemptions on things like Jimnys, have you ever looked into seeing what that takes? If they could do it surely you could as well?

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Does the Rugger pop-top? If so, it's my new 'want' 2d import SUV.

Also, the answer to a question never asked:
http://www.duncanimports.com/used/Daihatsu/1992-Daihatsu-Leeza-b9c46cd30a0e08bb5da7b5e5e417e843.htm

Now that I physically have it yeah it looks like I could take the top off if I want to, the issue is the rear door would still be sticking up. The way it's mounted on the body itself seems to be more permanent, sealants and things used on the join, would probably be a mess to take it off. and for that Daihatsu Leeza there is a really good change that thing probably hauls rear end considering, the automatic sucks but otherwise it should essentially be a turbo Mira. They are a bit easy to get on lots in Japan when I've looked, most seem to have autos though.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 9, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Fourtraks were popular with farmers here, and there's still quite a few floating around cheap, so if you really get stuck with parts etc, it's worth a look at the UK.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Cool article about that Duncan Imports place:

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/we-visit-duncan-imports-countrys-largest-classic-japanese-domestic-market-car

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

They have like 12 Beats in all flavors of affordability right now. I want one as a camper dinghy so bad.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

This dude owns and is the sort of style I like, just neat and cool stuff that we never got. If I had the space and capital I'd be doing exactly what this dude does.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Now I really want to know how the "POWER KEEPER" works :)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Now I really want to know how the "POWER KEEPER" works :)

:iiam:

Gave the Rugger a wash yesterday and found out the worst part about it so far:

All the windows have a film on it that would normally be on a glass shower door in a house with hard water after 10 years. It comes off but it takes a bit of effort so still not terrible.
Poking around underneath it to try to figure out the rear end-sag issue and found that whoever bought it new had it undercoated. Because they did that the underside is flawless in the sense there is no rust anywhere besides between the leaf-springs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

KakerMix posted:

That battery is 85% the size of the whole block, no joke. I don't know why it's so huge but according to the repair manual that's stock battery size.

EDIT
Does the 'METAL' label on the tape deck mean it has the fancy stuff to play metal tapes?
My guess is the battery is probably oversized for the diesel and just kept the tray and everything for the gas engine.

I still have some awesome metal tapes from the 90s kicking around that I used for mix tapes. I remember a few where physically noticeably heavier in weight than the standard tapes. IIRC, "That's" brand tapes where shockingly heavy for their size and some of the decks with motorized loading/unloading actually had issues with them.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I drive a 2006 Nissan Fuga, which is the JDM version of the Infiniti M45. Almost all of the electronics are different from the US car, so you get a bunch of Japanese on the centre stack and of course the screen functions are entirely in Japanese. Even the digital clock on the screen is set by GPS, but I can't change the timezone away from Japan to get it right here, but I can turn it off at least, so there's that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I drive a 2006 Nissan Fuga, which is the JDM version of the Infiniti M45. Almost all of the electronics are different from the US car, so you get a bunch of Japanese on the centre stack and of course the screen functions are entirely in Japanese. Even the digital clock on the screen is set by GPS, but I can't change the timezone away from Japan to get it right here, but I can turn it off at least, so there's that.

CARWINGS

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

slidebite posted:

My guess is the battery is probably oversized for the diesel and just kept the tray and everything for the gas engine.

I still have some awesome metal tapes from the 90s kicking around that I used for mix tapes. I remember a few where physically noticeably heavier in weight than the standard tapes. IIRC, "That's" brand tapes where shockingly heavy for their size and some of the decks with motorized loading/unloading actually had issues with them.

More likely thats the right size for the diesel- If thats got a 2.8L turbo diesel in it, its probably 22-24:1 compression ratio and it will NEED every single amp that N70 battery can provide to turn it over during winter in japan. Diesels can draw a STUPID amount of current to start them up- the 1HD-FTE 4.2L 6 pot diesel in my cruisers a lot more modern than that, but its got a 3.5KW starter on it (300A or so at full load), had a heater element in the intake that draws 140A and the EFI system is about 30-40A on its own. The HDJ100 shipped from japan with twin paralelled N50 batteries to cope with japanese winters and the nearly 500A starting requirements.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Delivery day

Both run beautifully, both have working A/C and it truly looks like both of them were 1 owner vehicles. The Rugger included all of the original manuals including the dedicated one just for the air conditioning system and the Acty has a stack of maintenance records.

The Rugger itself is so goddamned cool, I've fallen in love with it so hard that I've (probably) decided to sell my 90 Acty. Everything on the outside that says 'Turbo' is in bright red, the 'R' in 'Rugger' has the same red done up in a line. Inside the RPM gauge there is a 'TURBO' label with a light above it that lights up green when the turbo spools. 4x4, third differential and low range complete with locking hubs. And that interior, best blue. It's this manly looking tiny cute SUV that clatters along and responds like an eager puppy. It does have that tear in the driver's seat side, the stereo situation is hosed and the rear right sags juuuuuust a bit. It's going to need new tires sooner rather than later also.

Man that looks great. I've been thinking about replacing my rusting winter car for a small off road capable vehicle and I've been checking out local craigslist occasionally for an old, cheap wrangler. It has been disappointing how expensive they are.

A Rugger or Jimny could be a cool alternative.

I had a look earlier today on JapanCarDirect and no Ruggers/Rockys. Seems like more Jimnys though. How often do these Ruggers come up?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Bear in mind the bodies on both the Daihatsu and the Suzuki will rust like a motherfucker on salted roads, so make sure you take the time to try and protect the metalwork.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Femtosecond posted:

Man that looks great. I've been thinking about replacing my rusting winter car for a small off road capable vehicle and I've been checking out local craigslist occasionally for an old, cheap wrangler. It has been disappointing how expensive they are.

A Rugger or Jimny could be a cool alternative.

I had a look earlier today on JapanCarDirect and no Ruggers/Rockys. Seems like more Jimnys though. How often do these Ruggers come up?

First off this:

InitialDave posted:

Bear in mind the bodies on both the Daihatsu and the Suzuki will rust like a motherfucker on salted roads, so make sure you take the time to try and protect the metalwork.

The Rugger I got is an exception because whoever owned it before me had it undercoated immediately when it was new, so everything underneath is under this layer of black lacquer-like stuff that's coating everything. Now it looks more like cracked glaze on pottery, but what it isn't is rusty. If you get one I'd implore you to do the same, including all the wheel arches and flat areas where snow can sit, fenders are where bodies die. Since I'm in Florida (like California) rust isn't something I have to worry about.
As for regularity for showing up at auction there have been two Ruggers and four Toyota Blizzards in the last 3 months. Only three of those show no rust on the auction sheets, two of the Blizzards and one Rugger. One Blizzard was a 3.5, the other a 3 grade. The Rugger was a grade 4. That Rugger is the one I bought :getin:
That 3.5 Blizzard is one I should have won but there was some issue with the auction software and we missed it. That Blizzard is headed to the US though because a competing place is exporting it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr7pBlJF498&t=15s
ALSO if you'd like there is this one on a lot in Seattle, it's rusty though.

As for Jimnys those are cheap and easy to get. They rust like a motherfucker though, same as Japanese anything really. A Jimny will be a bit different than a Rugger or Blizzard in that it won't be diesel and will be limited to 550 or 660cc. That probably isn't an issue at all because lol @ getting stuck in snow with one.

AND I've also found out that the independent inspections that Japan Car Direct does? That's unique to them, as in most places (like that video I linked with the Blizzard) don't have those inspectors and that poo poo is dangerous. For instance the first Crown Wagon we looked at? Had white smoke in the exhaust that didn't dissipate in a few minutes and the coolant overflow tank was empty. The auction sheet didn't mention any of this and instead talked about how it just passed it's inspection a couple months earlier. Guessing that the owner blew the headgasket, went 'o fuk' and then put it up for auction and the auction inspectors simply don't take the time to look at that stuff. Having a third-party inspector go out there to futz with the car for a bit shows things like that. If I didn't go with Japan Car Direct and didn't have the independent inspector go out there and start the car and let it idle for 10 minutes poking and prodding at everything I wouldn't have known about it. Then I would have bought a car with a blown headgasket.

EDIT
If anyone cares I've updated the OP about the inspectors thing Japan Car Direct does, and also updated the second post for my cool updated inventory :c00l:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 13, 2017

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Yeah that's interesting about the rust. I didn't know this until I googled it, but apparently Japan doesn't often put salt on their roads. I wasn't aware of that.

I'm actually in the Pacific Northwest, so snow isn't too much of a regular concern, though you can occasionally get a few snow days. The main reason I figure my current car I drive in the winter is rusting away is because it spent about five years in Quebec winters.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Well fellow goons I think I have done it,

I know that is not much to go off of but I believe I have fixed the Suzuki Carb. That is a picture of the the choke opening automatically when I poured hot water down the e-choke actuator. Here is what was wrong so you cannot see it but there is a large arm that connects to this e-choke actuator and the throttle cable, it has all in total 4 springs (two that tension a pivot gear, one that puts tension on the choke plate, and one that puts tension on the large mechanical arm)

Here is a side view of the arm (not the exact same model) none of the springs are visible

The spring controlling the choke was on backwards, and the spring putting return tension on the large arm was also backwards. After many hours my brain decided to finally visualize the motion that the arm travels in and notice that the springs were doing the opposite of what they were supposed to. Next I had to unfreeze the actuator, tested it by it self in boiling water and got it to move a tiny bit, soaked it in carb cleaner, then a thing of wd40, then boiled again, repeat. Finally got it to move through its entire motion. So bench test is working. Now I need to replace every vacuum line on it and will replace the vacuum lines on the ignition, emissions, and the couple of sensors on the truck for safe measure.

It will be back on the car in a week or so, hopefully everything works correctly. It will be nice to be out only 20$ for a roll of vacuum and a can of carb cleaner rather than 200 for a new carb (from china no less).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was going through some old pictures and found this pic of my old Skyline that I thought I had lost.

Five door turbo 5 speed, I wonder what one of those would be worth now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I was going through some old pictures and found this pic of my old Skyline that I thought I had lost.

I never knew such a thing existed. :aaa:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I never knew such a thing existed. :aaa:
Same here. Awesome though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Well fellow goons I think I have done it,

I know that is not much to go off of but I believe I have fixed the Suzuki Carb. That is a picture of the the choke opening automatically when I poured hot water down the e-choke actuator. Here is what was wrong so you cannot see it but there is a large arm that connects to this e-choke actuator and the throttle cable, it has all in total 4 springs (two that tension a pivot gear, one that puts tension on the choke plate, and one that puts tension on the large mechanical arm)

Here is a side view of the arm (not the exact same model) none of the springs are visible

The spring controlling the choke was on backwards, and the spring putting return tension on the large arm was also backwards. After many hours my brain decided to finally visualize the motion that the arm travels in and notice that the springs were doing the opposite of what they were supposed to. Next I had to unfreeze the actuator, tested it by it self in boiling water and got it to move a tiny bit, soaked it in carb cleaner, then a thing of wd40, then boiled again, repeat. Finally got it to move through its entire motion. So bench test is working. Now I need to replace every vacuum line on it and will replace the vacuum lines on the ignition, emissions, and the couple of sensors on the truck for safe measure.

It will be back on the car in a week or so, hopefully everything works correctly. It will be nice to be out only 20$ for a roll of vacuum and a can of carb cleaner rather than 200 for a new carb (from china no less).

Hell yeah hopefully it works when you get it back together.

I really dig this style of Skyline and I think it's mostly due to the fact that they seem to be the least-appreciated body style. I've seen a couple (like literally two) 2000 TURBO RS-X variants of that hatch style.

This but in your body style, although I think it was a 2-door hatch type. Same shape though.

Also finally got insurance on the 83 Acty and the Rugger, now heading to the DMV to get them titled in the US and plated.

:getin:

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Diahatsu!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Hell yeah hopefully it works when you get it back together.

I really dig this style of Skyline and I think it's mostly due to the fact that they seem to be the least-appreciated body style. I've seen a couple (like literally two) 2000 TURBO RS-X variants of that hatch style.

Also gave birth to still possibly the raddest Skyline race car ever...

:allears:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The R30 Skyline in that colourscheme was one of the hero cars of the TV show Seibu Keisatsu, too, I have a model kit of it somewhere.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I got gifted a kit last year, it comes with deeeeeeep dish gold rims as well as those aero blade ones. I really should put that together, it's cool as gently caress.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Little wonder where bozu gets it's inspiration from.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah right look at that front ankle splitter. It's glorious :allears:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

:argh:
Yeah and I still have to stop and go 'uhhh' when I'm trying to type out 'Daihatsu'. At least the VINs are right, we'll get new cards printed.
Today is the day the 83 Acty and the Rugger are USA legal for driving. Did my first diesel fill-up on the Rugger, figured out why the right corner sags a bit (leaf springs are flattened) and had a wonderful time making the little 'turbo' light up.
Also took the 83 Acty out to a couple of stores and goddamn if you want attention get one of these. Any kei-anything would get it just because of it being so small but a little chromed-out Honda has got to be the tops for amount of people that want to talk to you about it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nissan Australia used to build those, sadly without the Turbo

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-qV6rKDT6IYCZvM.htm

Bought another kei truck, main highlights five speed and diff locking (with 4wd), working on an Acty Van with 4wd and a 5 spd. Will update in the morning.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-qV6rKDT6IYCZvM.htm

Bought another kei truck, main highlights five speed and diff locking (with 4wd), working on an Acty Van with 4wd and a 5 spd. Will update in the morning.

I see these guys all over Vancouver. Urban tradesmen and landscapers love them.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lol coincidentally I just spotted this picture in a news article about the military taking over in Zimbabwe.

It's some sort of Kei truck isn't it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Doesn't look small enough to be kei class, that's probably a regular small utility truck.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Femtosecond posted:

I see these guys all over Vancouver. Urban tradesmen and landscapers love them.

That is part of the group of people we are trying to sell to in the southern Vancouver (Washington). Unfortunately there is alot of educating that we are having to do because people really love their f350's super hyper army cab that gets 15 mpg cause they need to bring a some tools with them to work (the kei trucks bed is 4 ft by 6 ft) and "I dunno".

It will be a slow process, we have like four guys who have come back to look at them both 3 times now and they always have trouble overcoming whatever mental gymnastics they are doing in their head because its "foreign". Also these things are dirt cheap to insure. My company is insuring them at 40$ a month each for full coverage way above the state required limits.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

What are Toyota Sera’s going for? I think they existed in 1990 which puts them well within the 25 year limit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

That is part of the group of people we are trying to sell to in the southern Vancouver (Washington). Unfortunately there is alot of educating that we are having to do because people really love their f350's super hyper army cab that gets 15 mpg cause they need to bring a some tools with them to work (the kei trucks bed is 4 ft by 6 ft) and "I dunno".

It will be a slow process, we have like four guys who have come back to look at them both 3 times now and they always have trouble overcoming whatever mental gymnastics they are doing in their head because its "foreign". Also these things are dirt cheap to insure. My company is insuring them at 40$ a month each for full coverage way above the state required limits.

I only have the Hijet up right now, but I don't even have to deal with this part, the thing I have to deal with is no A/C. Making it a point now to always buy things with AC because of where I am located.

beep-beep car is go posted:

What are Toyota Sera’s going for? I think they existed in 1990 which puts them well within the 25 year limit.

They are within the 25 year rule, yeah.
If you are cool with an automatic you can get them pretty cheap and in decent quality for around 4 grand or so. If you want a really nice one and a manual transmission you'll pay probably closer to 6 or more, and you'll also be waiting a while for one to show up. They don't come up that often.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well to be fair, an F series truck is going to be ten times safer than a death trap Kei truck, just saying man. Good luck trying to market them for anything other than driving off of public roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Are drivers over there really that bad that you have to buy essentially a tank in order to survive the commute to work?