Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

yeah wtf. someone created a "little app" to reverse the scrolling? they must have felt dumb when they found the "Scroll Direction" checkbox in the mouse/trackpad settings.
tbf i downloaded an app that let me have natural scrolling on the touchpad but regular scrolling on a mouse wheel, since it's extremely unnatural to do the mouse that way, and as far as i can tell, macos doesn't let you have separate settings which is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

tbf i downloaded an app that let me have natural scrolling on the touchpad but regular scrolling on a mouse wheel, since it's extremely unnatural to do the mouse that way, and as far as i can tell, macos doesn't let you have separate settings which is dumb

what app? logitech options does it for my mx master but only for that mouse, doesn't work for other mice

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

you still truly, genuinely believe they max out at 8 gigs, huh

16gb, doesn't matter

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

what app? logitech options does it for my mx master but only for that mouse, doesn't work for other mice

i don't remember waht it's called since it stopped working in like sierra

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

the difference between normal scrolling and "natural" scrolling is the difference between feeling like you are moving the viewport around and moving the Content around. the latter obviously makes much more sense on a touchscreen and arguably on a mac if you are the sort of "Creative" that apple wants buying their macs and you are primarily just scrolling around your facebook feed. of course this breaks down when you consider that the primary purpose of a trackpad (moving the mouse pointer) is fundamentally a part of the viewport and not of the Content but i guess our old man brains are not plastic enough to effortlessly handle this dichotomy

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Perplx posted:

they want to but intel still doesn't have a chip that supports lpddr4, they could use regular ddr4 but that would reduce their best in the industry 30 days standby to one week and more people would complain about that then the lack of 32GB of ram

also the loving iphone 6s has lpddr4 so intel is really slacking here

intel didn't implement support for lpddr4 or more than 16GB of lpddr3 because those are smartphone/tablet memory formats intended for SoC integration and nobody but apple builds their "performance" laptops like a smartphone. why waste the die space and engineering time on redesigning the i5 and i7 memory controller to support an esoteric ram type that some tiny sliver of less than 10% of a subsection of your entire market will ever consider using?

intel also has had lpddr4 supporting SoC x86 systems since September of last year.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Linguica posted:

the difference between normal scrolling and "natural" scrolling is the difference between feeling like you are moving the viewport around and moving the Content around. the latter obviously makes much more sense on a touchscreen and arguably on a mac if you are the sort of "Creative" that apple wants buying their macs and you are primarily just scrolling around your facebook feed. of course this breaks down when you consider that the primary purpose of a trackpad (moving the mouse pointer) is fundamentally a part of the viewport and not of the Content but i guess our old man brains are not plastic enough to effortlessly handle this dichotomy

the mouse pointer isn't content or viewport, its a proxy for your finger, the thing humans instinctively use for pointing at things. the relationship between how the touchpad moves the cursor and the content is entirely consistent with this. slide your finger upwards irl while it's pressed against a piece of paper and the contents of the paper scroll downward.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Linguica posted:

Also "down" on a scroll-wheel still scrolls down - why make "down" on the touchpad scroll up?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

there's been a setting since literally the day they launched it.

woops haha I was thinking of when I had to invert scrolling on a 10.6 machine. my bad

Last Chance posted:

yeah wtf. someone created a "little app" to reverse the scrolling? they must have felt dumb when they found the "Scroll Direction" checkbox in the mouse/trackpad settings.

yeah see above. it was to add a feature to old models so

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

speaking of, i miss the old powerbook and early mbp matte screens :sigh:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

i don't remember waht it's called since it stopped working in like sierra

if it was scroll reverser (which was what i was thinking of) its working now and supports toggling scroll direction for mouse trackpad and tablet for both axes which is something new to me

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Agile Vector posted:

I'd buy a 12" powerbook with updated internals. It'd be so compact and chubby :3:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I'd buy a 12" powerbook with updated internals. It'd be so compact and chubby :3:

is that the white plastic mac with round corners ?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is that the white plastic mac with round corners ?

no, they were metal

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
just used applepay online for the first time, gently caress that owned.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

i still look at them used sometimes and think about getting one, theyre so dang neat looking! retrofitting would be a pain but a very fun project just to have a cool modern version

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

just used applepay online for the first time, gently caress that owned.

yeah it's real good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
natural scrolling rules.

ye olde scrolling was from the days before mouse wheels. if you put your mouse on the screen, and you slide the mouse up, the cursor goes up with it, following the mouse motion. if you slide the mouse down the cursor goes down. but if you scroll the wheel up, the content moves down, opposite of the direction of your finger. natural scrolling fixes this and makes the motion on the screen analogous to the muscle motion, just like it is for the pointer.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

does iTunes not sell TV shows? I would like to buy some seasons and I can’t find where to search, it mostly shows movies.

the Apple TV 4K music/iTunes/Apple Music interface is kind of a mess, I don’t know where to find most content. For instance some concerts are available to buy on iTunes but purely by chance I saw them for free on Apple Music

ufarn
May 30, 2009
tv shows are available in some countries, probably just english-speaking ones, if not just na

e: here you go https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204411

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Management posted:

but if you scroll the wheel up, the content moves down, opposite of the direction of your finger. natural scrolling fixes this and makes the motion on the screen analogous to the muscle motion, just like it is for the pointer.
wrong. a scroll wheel is not like moving a mouse or touching a pane of glass. it is a literal wheel, one of the oldest human inventions and one we are all intimately familiar with. much like moving the mouse pointer around is as if you were moving the mouse itself over the viewport beneath it, imagine scrolling a wheel that is in contact with the viewport beneath it. as you scroll the wheel upwards the wheel pushes the viewport beneath it downwards, making your relative motion be to scroll up the document. owned.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Linguica posted:

wrong. a scroll wheel is not like moving a mouse or touching a pane of glass. it is a literal wheel, one of the oldest human inventions and one we are all intimately familiar with. much like moving the mouse pointer around is as if you were moving the mouse itself over the viewport beneath it, imagine scrolling a wheel that is in contact with the viewport beneath it. as you scroll the wheel upwards the wheel pushes the viewport beneath it downwards, making your relative motion be to scroll up the document. owned.

then why does natural scrolling feel so much better?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Last Chance posted:

then why does natural scrolling feel so much better?
because of the reality distortion field

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Agile Vector posted:

same

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

seriously.

old school scrolling = you're scrolling in the direction of the arrows on a vertical scrollbar ui element

natural scrolling = you're pushing around the content as if you're touching it. if you're using a touch device like god's own magic mouse and using inertia, this makes more sense and feels great. content moves in the same direction as your finger: naturally.

pretty simple

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
basically people who like "natural" scrolling are like the babies who paw at magazine pages trying to get them to scroll because they don't know any better

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yes, the move to natural scrolling is actually a direct result of touch screens and other touch devices becoming very popular. i don't think it would have made as much sense in a world where good capacitive touch screens didn't exist.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"natural" scrolling: tragic mac fad

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ufarn posted:

tv shows are available in some countries, probably just english-speaking ones, if not just na

e: here you go https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204411

consarn it

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I think we can all agree that its not like scrolling was any harder before

apple just changed it for no goladdam reason and made this whole bullshit situation to personally annoy me

tim has brought us to this point

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i ordered a 15" which im not really thrilled about but you cant get a quad core in the 13" but also you cant get the 15" without the stupid touch bar bullshit

a land of contrasts

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

bump_fn posted:

i ordered a 15" which im not really thrilled about but you cant get a quad core in the 13" but also you cant get the 15" without the stupid touch bar bullshit

a land of contrasts

zero kink shaming here in the 'pos :)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
wired apple extended keyboard has been discontinued

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

graph posted:

wired apple extended keyboard has been discontinued

do they have a wireless extended

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bump_fn posted:

do they have a wireless extended

they have a magic keyboard with number pad

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Someone argued me for 12 hours after I told them to update their iPhone when they had the autoreplace bug. This includes getting angry enough for them to wake up at 4am and write a rambling wall of text comparing me to Matthew Bevin or something.

I saw another guy as late as last night still postin with that dumb bug. How can you be so unaware.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 16, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

didn't you know? every time you update your iphone it become half as fast as the previous update. enough updates and you won't be able to use it at all which is how crapple forces you to buy a new phone. i saw this on fox news so it must be true

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
why doesn't the phone "just work?"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Endless Mike posted:

didn't you know? every time you update your iphone it become half as fast as the previous update. enough updates and you won't be able to use it at all which is how crapple forces you to buy a new phone. i saw this on fox news so it must be true

i work with three people still running ios 9 on 6S series devices.

the other devices im aware of are a blackberry passport and some sony androids.

these are all it professionals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
all black stevephone5 ios9 crew