Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/201500779?t=13m12s

:gary: :gary: :yarg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Using volunteers to replace actual employees is actually a pretty big no no for corporations. But if challenged they'll just say its a special early access bonus for high end players.

And all their veiled threats to immediately revoke access after scoring logs for their failure to obey direct orders... well we were just kidding around. :)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Jobbo_Fett posted:

YOU DIDN'T SPAWN THE RIGHT SHIP?! WELL WE'RE GONNA RUB YOUR NOSE IN YOUR PISS-STAINED MESS!

Take that, person who's given us money!

To be fair, spawning the wrong ship is probably causing their entire server to collapse and need to be rebooted which takes 15+ minutes. A few dipshits could ruin your whole day of testing.

Which is why you don't crowdsource your loving testing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sarsapariller posted:

To be fair, spawning the wrong ship is probably causing their entire server to collapse and need to be rebooted which takes 15+ minutes. A few dipshits could ruin your whole day of testing.

If you can't trust the members of your super secret club of exclusivity, who the gently caress can you trust?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

*leaps for her credit card and tries to swipe it against this post in futile effort of getting in on the ground floor*

Thank you Citizen. Can I interest you in a luxury spaceship?

You can tell it's luxury because of the palm trees. Deuce Citizen will have real-time coconut shucking. Please keep in mind that none of this is real right now, but don't let that stop you- in the event that it does release, there will probably be all kinds of coconut related gameplay. I can't think of any fun applications for coconuts, so please dream some up and write me thousands of pages of stupid garbage. I guarantee that each and every idea will eventually be made just as real as Deuce Citizen itself.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Not only was Ben in his mid 20s when he did a lot of the things on his website, he literally tried to blame attempting to be a cool kid like the people on SomethingAwful for his behavior, yet the site had equally representative behavior which predated the existence of SomethingAwful.

Also, if I remember correctly, he had publicly linked his website 6 months before any Goon found it. It was only when he publicly linked its existence a second time that somebody here found it.

We were literally digging for it so hard, he had to broadcast its existence twice before we saw it.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
God drat that screencap of their employees yelling at avocado testers is cringeworthy. I mean gently caress you've had 5 years, why don't you have an automated solution for "getting x clients in game and have them do a specific thing so we can measure performance." The studio has eleventy billion dollars in free money, enough to produce multiple dumb web shows, but they can't hire a single technical test / automation capable QA guy to bang out some basic poo poo?

I mean this is legit embarrassing, even if you ignore the whole "free QA nothing to see here folks these aren't employees" side of this, the actual work they are having them do is not the qualitative type testing you would expect it's just "stand here move here generate data for us." Jesus christ now I want to go up to santa monica and interview for a QA spot just to kinda laugh about it and see just how little the interviewer knows about modern QA for game companies in TYOOL 2017.

I half expect to see loving VHS tapes and VCR's on desks, like crobbers set them up exactly as he remembers from the old days.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Thank you Citizen. Can I interest you in a luxury spaceship?

You can tell it's luxury because of the palm trees. Deuce Citizen will have real-time coconut shucking. Please keep in mind that none of this is real right now, but don't let that stop you- in the event that it does release, there will probably be all kinds of coconut related gameplay. I can't think of any fun applications for coconuts, so please dream some up and write me thousands of pages of stupid garbage. I guarantee that each and every idea will eventually be made just as real as Deuce Citizen itself.

In honor of this being twice as awesome as Single Citizen, I’m buying two!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

fargom posted:

God drat that screencap of their employees yelling at avocado testers is cringeworthy. I mean gently caress you've had 5 years, why don't you have an automated solution for "getting x clients in game and have them do a specific thing so we can measure performance." The studio has eleventy billion dollars in free money, enough to produce multiple dumb web shows, but they can't hire a single technical test / automation capable QA guy to bang out some basic poo poo?

I mean this is legit embarrassing, even if you ignore the whole "free QA nothing to see here folks these aren't employees" side of this, the actual work they are having them do is not the qualitative type testing you would expect it's just "stand here move here generate data for us." Jesus christ now I want to go up to santa monica and interview for a QA spot just to kinda laugh about it and see just how little the interviewer knows about modern QA for game companies in TYOOL 2017.

I half expect to see loving VHS tapes and VCR's on desks, like crobbers set them up exactly as he remembers from the old days.

Do Evocati have access to all the ships?

Because it'd be even better if they got kickbanned from the QA group for testing the ships that they personally paid hundreds of dollars for.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

VictorianQueerLit posted:

It might be the developer or that the people that like Star Wars are more prone to get buttmad about videogames but an important difference between the two is that one game actually exists. You can go start playing it and be presented with it's bullshit which people are rightly mad about.

"Star Citizen" exists in the realm of the imagination right now. You can't get pissed off at how bullshit it's pay 2 win mechanics are because you can't state with 100% certainty what the specifics of it's mechanics actually even will be. Even though they are obviously bullshit you can technically argue they might not be bullshit. That technicality is all they need.

Like LTI. Nobody even knows how that works but we know backers have paid tens of millions of dollars for the concept. It's pay2win bullshit but backers live in that little area of the brain that makes you go "Well we don't know for certain it will be bullshit, and here is all of the ways it could not be bullshit." They won't get angry because they don't want to which is a luxury of the state of the product and it having no firm definition of anything at any level.

All of that falls apart when there is a game though.

Yeah, it's two reasons.

One, there are several thousand people emotionally invested in Star Citizen. There are several hundred thousand people wanting to play a Star Wars game.

Second, you are exactly right, nothing exists yet, so nobody can hard core nail down what Star Citizen's paid economy really is.

Same is the answer to this:

Deki posted:

Everything that's pissing people off about Battlefront, Star citizen does. Is it really just because it's EA that people are freaking out about Battlefront?

There's just way more people interested in an EA Star Wars game. The Star Citizen consumer base is so tiny that nobody outside really notices it.

XK fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 15, 2017

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

This is like an elaborate and choreographed Olympic level mental gymnastics floor routine by a seasoned master.

It isn't even about what he is saying. It's about the technique and mastery in which he vaults onto tangents, backflips from things that make him wrong and spins like a top so that nobody can ever actually say he faces any one direction.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Do Evocati have access to all the ships?

Because it'd be even better if they got kickbanned from the QA group for testing the ships that they personally paid hundreds of dollars for.

Likely they either have their own accounts, and are just being asked not to spawn a ship outside of the test parameters, or they have dev command line access and can just pop any ship into the gameworld at any time. Both allow testers to gently caress up the test environment/crash the game server/muddy the test data. This is just one reason why this type of testing should be automated.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Daztek posted:

Evocati testing going well!

They don't bother emailing you about the tests/procedures so if you're not on the Spectrum 24/7 you might get banned :allears:

I wish my newsvan jpeg existed so I could be on scene to interview Cymelion when he first learns of this development :saddowns:

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Daztek posted:

Evocati testing going well!

They don't bother emailing you about the tests/procedures so if you're not on the Spectrum 24/7 you might get banned :allears:

:lol: going through a game logs dump file just to see who spawned what at what time because your game code is so loving broken your servers crash and you cannot disable the spawn system on your end.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

XK posted:

Not only was Ben in his mid 20s when he did a lot of the things on his website, he literally tried to blame attempting to be a cool kid like the people on SomethingAwful for his behavior, yet the site had equally representative behavior which predated the existence of SomethingAwful.

Also, if I remember correctly, he had publicly linked his website 6 months before any Goon found it. It was only when he publicly linked its existence a second time that somebody here found it.

We were literally digging for it so hard, he had to broadcast its existence twice before we saw it.

and then he reactivated his livejournal to apologize and tell people that it wouldnt be deleted because ITS WHO I AM, DUUUUUUDE.

And then he promptly killed his livejournal.

Then he eventually killed off his website (or is it still around? I forget/don't care) but not before we were able to archive it. We almost got jewed there.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The last battlefront sold 14 million copies, this shitstorm won't affect them enough for them to care.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Using volunteers to replace actual employees is actually a pretty big no no for corporations. But if challenged they'll just say its a special early access bonus for high end players.

Say, Chris, let me whitewash a little

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

XK posted:

Yeah, it's two reasons.

One, there are several thousand people emotionally invested in Star Citizen. There are several hundred thousand people wanting to play a Star Wars game.

Second, you are exactly right, nothing exists yet, so nobody can hard core nail down what Star Citizen's paid economy really is.

Same is the answer to this:

There's just way more people interested in an EA Star Wars game. The Star Citizen consumer base is so tiny that nobody outside really notices it.

Anyone truly mad at CIGs business practices have long jumped ship.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Pantsbird posted:

Can't even sleep without missing something.

It started out as a bunch of commandos hanging around on the landing pads. Stress test level amount of commandos, like 30+ or something.

He ran inside and ordered his ride from the console, then was directed to a pad, with a pip on the screen for his ship. When he got there, it wasn't the ship type he had requested. It was literally the wrong ship. He turned to look around the pad at a Connie falling over the side, clipping, or whatever. When he turned back around, his ship had become an entirely different ship. It was like a magic trick. He literally turned around and an entirely different ship was there. He told discord about the weirdness, then someone ran past him and said that new ship was theirs.

He then ran back to the requisition computer, and found his ship was on another pad. He then went over there, found an adjacent ship, gave a shot at trying to enter the bay, and said he's probably going to hit an invisible wall. He then totally ran against an invisible wall in the cargo bay. He then ran over to his ship, tried to enter his ship through the bay, the internal door refused to open or have any interaction whatsoever. He finally accessed the side hatch at the end of the video.

The whole time, whenever people were spawning ships, the FPS totally ate it.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Thank you so much. It's like I can see it.

The only doors you can't clip through are the invisible ones.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

fargom posted:

Likely they either have their own accounts, and are just being asked not to spawn a ship outside of the test parameters, or they have dev command line access and can just pop any ship into the gameworld at any time. Both allow testers to gently caress up the test environment/crash the game server/muddy the test data. This is just one reason why this type of testing should be automated.

Based on the deleted video, they have the same access as normal. They choose a ship from a menu on the Port Olisar computer terminal. Then the computer literally gives them the wrong ship. lol

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

XK posted:

Based on the deleted video, they have the same access as normal. They choose a ship from a menu on the Port Olisar computer terminal. Then the computer literally gives them the wrong ship. lol

That's neat... so they might get banned from the evocati for spawning a blacklisted ship they didn't even request :laffo:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If you can't trust the members of your super secret club of exclusivity, who the gently caress can you trust?

<chrisbear.jpg>

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I obviously don't understand game development but it seems if you have too many lou polls your game will be poo poo

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

stingtwo posted:

:lol: going through a game logs dump file just to see who spawned what at what time because your game code is so loving broken your servers crash and you cannot disable the spawn system on your end.

Well there are several levels of absurdity of it all:

Level one - From Robert's foaming mouth during the Con... "We never thought of a scenario where you would spawn a bunch of Starfarers" in regards to QA. No poo poo Sherlock, there is nothing else to do.

Level two - We have the super secretive evocati that CIG felt compelled to insert watermarks to contain leaks on the dumpster fire of transparent development.

Level three - The DPRK. My god, you don't follow our rules you will be booted. The dichotomy of this one is astounding. Patrons/suckers paying thousands to have access and doing free testing. The epic part is the fact there is some "team" that will go through the logs to find testers that don't comply. Either so few testers for them to analyze the logs or just empty threats.

What an absolute tire fire.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:trustme:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

Abuminable posted:

That's neat... so they might get banned from the evocati for spawning a blacklisted ship they didn't even request :laffo:

An evocati goon sent me this on his carrier pigeon:

We have access to all the ships in etf but we literally had to fight for it, because cig wanted players to play like they only had access to their paid ships. Which is hilarious if you consider that half the ships in the game have horrendous bugs that need desperate focus testing. Pointing this out was the argument that ultimately persuaded CIG to give us access to all of them.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

DapperDon posted:

In the history of video games, has there ever been a project that has such an authoritative iron fist and thirst for vindictive revenge, punishment, cruelty, and humiliation as this? Because for the life of me I thought these things were SUPPOSED to be fun.

'It all filters down from the top' Sandi Gardener

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DadJokeCinema/status/930878722764431362
https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/930888944581054466

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

A normal dev team: "oh look, whenever ship X spawns, the server crashes. How about I just turn off the ability to spawn ship X."

Crobbits team of modders: "do wop woah diddy dum gently caress you, banned!"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

An evocati goon sent me this on his carrier pigeon:

We have access to all the ships in etf but we literally had to fight for it, because cig wanted players to play like they only had access to their paid ships. Which is hilarious if you consider that half the ships in the game have horrendous bugs that need desperate focus testing. Pointing this out was the argument that ultimately persuaded CIG to give us access to all of them.

Someone needs to point out that giving the first dose free is like the biggest drug trope ever, and they really need to catch up with that Zynga curve.

If, y'know, they want to sell jpegs.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

On that deleted video, it seemed to run fairly okay, when it was just the several dozen commandos on the launch pads.

As soon as they ran inside and ships started to be requested, performance began to tank, badly.

This is just good old standard Port Olisar. Not planet surface or anything, just the space station we've been seeing since 2.0.

Also, the dude knew he was going to hit an invisible wall in the other person's cargo bay, and then he totally did. He didn't hit an invisible wall entering his own ship's cargo bay the same way. The internal door totally didn't work, though. And it was still the wrong ship from what he requested, somehow Houdini'd onto a different pad.

I have to assume that him knowing he was going to hit that invisible wall on the other dude's ship means CIG has implemented that as their means of ship security. I would guess they're preventing people from sprinting into ships, or clipping through the ship exteriors, as a means to jack chariots, via the use of invisible walls.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
The only way that CIG can make walls work is to make them invisible.

Hilarious.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

CIG could create temp accounts that have the full access of ships to testers if this were case, this isn't hard to do. 400 employees and not one thought of just doing that for evocati, loving gently caress this company is full of idiots.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

stingtwo posted:

just another example of sc doing things that have never been done before and hitting problems nobody knew existed.
Being able to control what spawns in a mmo, who could have predicted that would be useful?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

drat you Braben and ED! :argh:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Krycek posted:

A normal dev team: "oh look, whenever ship X spawns, the server crashes. How about I just turn off the ability to spawn ship X."

Crobbits team of modders: "do wop woah diddy dum gently caress you, banned!"

I lolled so hard at this. Please stay.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

Yes. It's an on-going theme. Sometimes it's the wrong ship, or the wrong loving pad. Or nothing. Like at all.

3.0 is such a poo poo-show, I don't even want to write about it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
  • Stable
  • Multiplayer
  • Ability to use spaceships in your spacegame

Pick 2.