Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was all bullshit, it was a Tumblr hit piece and the person who published it admitted it was made up. That's why it was deleted. Please don't spread it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It was all bullshit, it was a Tumblr hit piece and the person who published it admitted it was made up. That's why it was deleted. Please don't spread it.

It's amazing how so many fuckwads out there believed an anonymous Medium account with one post on it. I predicted it was a 4chan prank in the other thread—close!

Social media has genuinely turned the public into easily exploitable shitheads ruled by perpetual hysteria and outrage.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Apparently the person who posted it doesn't admit it was made up. It was deleted for violating site policy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Apparently the person who posted it doesn't admit it was made up. It was deleted for violating site policy.

You got links to this drama as it unfolds?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

From the cache

I'm having a little trouble buying this one. Why would you wait until now to make this public? Gal's been in the public eye in a major way for several years now.

So was Kevin Spacey

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

So was Kevin Spacey

The Kevin Spacey thing had been discussed and joked about for what, 12 years at least? The FG joke was from 2007 wasn't it? Are there any other sources of Gal being a bad person on record anywhere?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I dunno whether it's true or not but "why didn't the victim come forward earlier?" is not the best question. Many victims in these situations do not come forward immediately for many reasons, among them fear of not being believed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno whether it's true or not but "why didn't the victim come forward earlier?" is not the best question. Many victims in these situations do not come forward immediately for many reasons, among them fear of not being believed.

It just feels weird that this comes out on the eve of her continued massive success as a female empowerment icon.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Michelle Pfeiffer Says Every Woman In Hollywood She's Talked To Has Been Abused
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/michelle-pfeiffer-says-every-woman-174500280.html
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainment-arts-41875547/michelle-pfeiffer-abuse-of-women-in-hollywood-is-systemic

Viola Davis on why she's 'done' pretending sexual assault in Hollywood is 'news'
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/viola-davis-shes-done-pretending-sexual-assault-hollywood-news-162458155.html

'...she feels compelled to “out” predators because she isn’t “falling from a really high space.”

She explained, “It’s not like I’m going to headline the next Spider-Man movie. I’m not rolling around in bed with Tom Cruise, so I’m not going to lose a $20 million endorsement and a $50 million beauty campaign. That’s just not my career.”'

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

There are a lot of stories of Cranston pulling sexually oriented “pranks” on the set of Breaking Bad, so yeah, get yourself ready for that one

Some here would definitely find his Howard Stern sessions to be vomit inducing.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Cranston's never done horror (that I'm aware of)...

He was in Terror Tract (2000) which is currently available on YouTube. He fights a little monkey in that film.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The people “debunking” that Gal Gadot story are stupid as hell. Just as somebody can make a story up, somebody can also make a confession up.

Like others have said, there are unique identifiers in the story. Wait for somebody to follow up on the leads. Somebody will. Save your indignation, whichever side you’re on.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, especially since this isn't a story about Gadot herself sexually assaulting somebody, people should probably cool their heels until there's more information.

If she did do what this person said, it's super hosed up. But it also would have happened thirteen years ago, and while I'll sympathise deeply with the victim in this case, I can't see it being that big a deal unless similar, more recent stories of Gadot being a hateful, predatory bitch come out. One would hope Gadot has grown since she was nineteen.

It also doesn't help that the person accused of rape seemed to be a good friend of hers. I would find it hard to believe my good friend cheated on my other good friend in such a hosed up fashion. Loathe as I am to admit it, it would be easy for me to side with the people I'm close to over the girl I've been rooming with for a short amount of time.

Whatever happened, if it happened, sounds like a loving mess.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Vegetable posted:

The people “debunking” that Gal Gadot story are stupid as hell. Just as somebody can make a story up, somebody can also make a confession up.

Like others have said, there are unique identifiers in the story. Wait for somebody to follow up on the leads. Somebody will. Save your indignation, whichever side you’re on.
I posted in the comic movie thread about one tweet claiming to debunk the story; they linked to a Youtube video claiming that events depicted in the article suspiciously "mirrored" a scene from Gal Gadot's recent movie Keeping Up With the Joneses, implying this was all deranged fan fiction or something.

The tweet was getting more and more retweets and responses saying stuff like "U really deserve a Pulitzer Prize for this..." except, if you watched the video, it had literally nothing in common with the story from the article except that two women were talking and one was Gal Gadot. And now that Twitter account is "protected" so you can't see the tweet.

I'm not saying it's particularly suspicious, given how stupid and reactionary people often are on Twitter (I'm guessing none of the responders actually watched the video), but it's definitely all an example of how bad social media can be as a way of actually sorting through these kind of events.

Martman fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 15, 2017

NeekBerm
Jun 25, 2004

Who are you calling chicken?

College Slice
Repost of the story for people that care: http://www.imasurvivor.xyz/

Anonymous stories like this are sometimes a tough pill to swallow, but that inherently doesn’t make it untrue.

Imagine if you were sitting on this information for years, watching this former friend of yours reach mega stardom; reliving a horrible experience every time you saw her face on a billboard. All you want to do is ignore it, but boom, there’s that face again.

Then you think about telling the story, but then you have to think about the inevitable internet backlash of incredulity, followed by accusations that your just doing it for attention. So you sit on it for a couple more years.

I don’t know about you, but I would break down when the story about Gal standing up to sexually abusive Hollywood executives started to get some play in the news.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I'm not going to totally dismiss the story entirely. I just don't see the need to make a huge fuss and go down some rabbit hole of is it or isn't it a lie. Not without more information.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

ihatepants posted:

How about that time in 2014 when she posted the pro-IDF messages to her social media accounts and calling Hamas cowards for hiding behind women and children at the same time that Israeli forces were bombing women and children in Gaza?

I wish more folks (not in this thread, just in general) would care more about this and stop hailing Gadot as some kind of feminist icon

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

peer posted:

I wish more folks (not in this thread, just in general) would care more about this and stop hailing Gadot as some kind of feminist icon

People do a weird thing where they want to binary categorize people as good/bad as opposed to judging specific actions at the time. While not doing it to themselves and adding all kinds of excuses and nuance for all the bad they did in their lives. Gadot's stance on Israel is hugely problematic and probably based on her background and being exposed to one-sided information. Her making a stance against Ratner in public is good. You (as in people, not you) should be able to simultaneously judge her harshly for Zionism while being positive about her stance on abuse, but people have a problem doing that and default to all good/all bad.

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 15, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

It just feels weird that this comes out on the eve of her continued massive success as a female empowerment icon.

Are you really that surprised more and more allegations are coming out at the same time as each other? If this was in isolation then sure, but a lot of people are having their dirty laundry come to light right now and that's going to embolden other victims to come forward.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I know some of us already read Terry Crews's twitter story about his own assault experience, but here he is talking about it on tv:

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/930779189174665217

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's definitely wrong to try to get into a victim's head and interpret why they chose to come forward at a particular time. So many factors go into that and each person's situation is unique(both victim and perpetrator), so it's pointless at best.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Darko posted:

People do a weird thing where they want to binary categorize people as good/bad as opposed to judging specific actions at the time. While not doing it to themselves and adding all kinds of excuses and nuance for all the bad they did in their lives. Gadot's stance on Israel is hugely problematic and probably based on her background and being exposed to one-sided information. Her making a stance against Ratner in public is good. You (as in people, not you) should be able to simultaneously judge her harshly for Zionism while being positive about her stance on abuse, but people have a problem doing that and default to all good/all bad.

Sure, totally, I agree, and of course it's great that she's taking a stand against Ratner. I've just seen a lot of both women and men portraying her as a champion of modern feminism recently, which in light of her past statements is pretty gross.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

peer posted:

Sure, totally, I agree, and of course it's great that she's taking a stand against Ratner. I've just seen a lot of both women and men portraying her as a champion of modern feminism recently, which in light of her past statements is pretty gross.

Some of that is related to the Wonder Woman character though, she kinda comes with the feminist icon mantle so playing her automatically causes people to want to cast you in that light.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Terry Crews is great. I think he'll be up there with Keanu for people that no one has a bad word against.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm still waiting for the Spielberg domino to fall. That's bound to be a big one.

I'n fairly convinced that's the super-powerful and well-known pedo that Feldman is terrified of, too. It's not that I have 'proof'. Like any artist, you look at the work. One thing about Spielberg is that there is always at least one child character in every single one of his films, nearly. I think the exceptions are... well there's a schoolbus of kids in 'Duel' but they aren't really characters. Munich, that's the only one I can recall without any kids either front and center or at least in the background. Plenty of other directors make scores of movies without any children; in fact, most directors find them difficult and troublesome to work with. I cannot imagine Spielberg feels that way.. A number of his films also involve children going through horrible, traumatic experiences where they are terrorized or suffer. Jurassic Park comes to mind, Empire of the Sun, Temple of Doom has lots of scared, suffering, abused children in it..

And when I think about these things I can't help but... sort of mentally contrast it with the "PENIS BREATH!" insult from ET used by one little boy against another. I dunno if I'm alone here, but even after seeing ET and absorbing lots of insults from other movies, I never called another boy "penis breath" and I can't say that I was ever called it as a kid, either. Um, now, jokingly it comes it up at times, but I'm 32. Makes me wonder if "penis breath" was in the script or not.

Um, anyway. The main reason why I always thought Spielberg was a pedophile was based on reading a crazy essay by Crispin Glover online back in, like, the stone ages of the internet (02-03 or some poo poo). The essay was totally off the loving wall and whether it represented Glover's genius beliefs or was an over-the-top proto-troll by someone who has always been kind of an over over-the-top proto-troll (see: his appearance on Letterman wearing platform shoes and nearly kicking Letterman in the face),

Anyway, here's an excerpt of the essay:

CRISPIN HELLION GLOVER posted:

Does Steven Spielberg hold the same values I wish upon myself? Does the mind of this grinning, bespectacled, baseball-capped man entirely reflect this culture?

Is it true that in his waning years, Orson Welles asked Steven Spielberg for a small amount of money with which he could make a final film? Is it true Steven Spielberg refused? Is it true that Steven Spielberg bought a sled used in Citizen Kane for an extremely large sum of money?

Do Steven Spielberg’s passions burn? Do passions burn in the man now imprisoned who wished to anally rape Steven Spielberg? Do our cultural mouthpieces confidently inform us that the wish to anally rape Steven Spielberg is a bad thought? Could anal rape of Steven Spielberg be simply the manifestation of a cultural mandate?

Do you believe Steven Spielberg is an ideal guide and influence for our culture? Do Steven Spielberg’s films question our culture? What do Steven Spielberg’s films question? Does Steven Spielberg focus much of his fantasy life on young people? Did he portray children wallowing in sewers filled with fecal matter in Schindler’s List? Did he use children to finger paint an adult in Hook? Does he collect the illustrations of Norman Rockwell, such as the one showing a young boy in his underwear examined by a doctor? Are the inclinations of Steven Spielberg above suspicion by the media-fed culture? Was Steven Spielberg very friendly with Michael Jackson? Wasn’t Michael Jackson supposed to play Peter Pan in Steven Spielberg’s version of the story? Now that Michael Jackson is no longer held in favor by the mass media, does Spielberg associate with him? Do Michael Jackson and Steven Spielberg share similar opinions about the sexuality of young boys?

Did Joseph Goebbels popularize certain ideals to the mass culture? Does Steven Spielberg attempt to do the same thing? Is celebrity more special than actual truth in art?

When you join in a conversation with strangers, do you openly discuss any idea whatsoever without fear of conflict? Or do you restrain yourself from discussing certain things for fear of offending people and then becoming an outcast? Are there laws that deem certain forms of thought as bad and wrong? Is what is now termed “hate” a form of thought?
Does our culture consider it acceptable to have a minstrel represent a black person on film? Does our culture consider it acceptable to have a person of average intelligence represent a retarded person on film? Why is one thing questionable, and one thing acceptable? Did Adolf Hitler entertain any good thoughts? Was Shirley Temple sexy as a young girl?

What if you wish to express these ideas? Can people sue you for expressing ideas, particularly if they’re blamed for inspiring behavior considered antithetical to cultural norms?

Would the cultural mainstream ever silence or suppress Steven Spielberg? Has the United States government given the immensely wealthy Steven Spielberg millions of dollars to fund a media project that reflects his religious heritage, and his cultural beliefs? Does The Talmud speak of the superiority of the Jews and the inferiority of other cultures and beliefs? Does Steven Spielberg reflect this religious imperative? Is Steve Spielberg neurotic? Is this belief hidden and suppressed?

If one discovers that everything one has been taught to be good is actually false, what then? At what point is one neurotic?

Did Vincent Van Gogh, Diane Arbus and Rainer Werner Fassbinder die for the sins of their culture? Did Joseph Goebbels?

Are we fed massive cultural propaganda? Are we infused with the belief that we act as we wish and do what we want? Are we not simply believing what cultural propaganda suggests us to think?

Do you like MTV? Do you like Steven Spielberg? Do you like post-punk rock? Do you like trip hop? Do you like rap? Do you define yourself according to the music you listen to? Do you consider yourself a true lover of music because you are in a rock band, or because your boyfriend is in a rock band? Do you like tattoos? Do you like body piercing? Do you believe that love, kindness, compassion, recycling and equality will save this culture from all its woes? Do you? Do you?

Is it considered “career suicide” to question Steven Spielberg if one is involved in the entertainment business? If one is not involved in the entertainment business is it considered a social suicide to question Steven Spielberg? If these things are so, what does that point to? Does this mean freedom of expression is actually curtailed in our culture by certain social pressures? Is calling someone a “fascist” in American culture today the counterpart to saying someone was a “communist” during the Joseph McCarthy era of the 1950s?

I actually thought this was kind of a cool thing to re-post because 15 years ago when he wrote this a lot of this stuff hadn't quite come true but especially with the election of Trump and just the Weinstein scandal this seems both utterly insane and extremely prescient

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That bit where he talks about his wife calming him down, oof. Gets you right here.

I wonder about accountability and holding up standards of behavior a lot lately, because it's now exploding in the entertainment industry and a lot of other fields of work, while in politics it seems like people are actually being protected from accountability more and more.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

E.T the extraterrestrial actually ad-libbed the "Penis breath" line on set.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Spielberg is a pedo because he has children in his films :downs:

Maybe talk about things that actually happend instead of this baseless and tasteless speculation?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does Glover ever offer anything as proof other than the fact that Spielberg has child characters in most of his movies and was friends with Michael Jackson? Have there been any whispers of anyone accusing him of anything in the past? Are there any now? I 100% believe Feldman when he says a really powerful person in the industry molested him but there are plenty of those, not sure what would lead someone to assume Spielberg.

I don't want Spielberg to be a child molester, I admit, it would really make me see a lot of my childhood memories in a different light.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'd more likely think that there's skeletons in Crispin Glover's closest than Spielberg

DrVenkman posted:

Terry Crews is great. I think he'll be up there with Keanu for people that no one has a bad word against.

Well, there was his whole "Oh, it's okay to be transgender, but not transracial" protest last year

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It could have been Glover still angry at Spielberg over Back to the Future. I know he refuses to even talk about BTTF or sign any of the merch at cons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Davros1 posted:

Well, there was his whole "Oh, it's okay to be transgender, but not transracial" protest last year

That's... correct? What are we saying Rachel Dolezal was cool now?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That's... correct? What are we saying Rachel Dolezal was cool now?

Crews' question was "why is it okay to be transgender, but not transracial", which is a moronic statement

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Basebf555 posted:

Does Glover ever offer anything as proof other than the fact that Spielberg has child characters in most of his movies and was friends with Michael Jackson? Have there been any whispers of anyone accusing him of anything in the past? Are there any now? I 100% believe Feldman when he says a really powerful person in the industry molested him but there are plenty of those, not sure what would lead someone to assume Spielberg.

I don't want Spielberg to be a child molester, I admit, it would really make me see a lot of my childhood memories in a different light.

Feldman has categorically stated that he had nothing but a healthy relationship with Speilberg and Joe Dante and credits both of them with trying to help him out in life. But also, as Feldman allegedly reached private settlements years ago, he wouldn't say a bad word about anyone currently working in Hollywood.

Glover's rant is a little weird and I think at times gets a little anti-semetic.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It could have been Glover still angry at Spielberg over Back to the Future. I know he refuses to even talk about BTTF or sign any of the merch at cons.

He's kind of fine with it. He's talked about it a lot more though he still hates the ending. However, he credits Bob Gale with loving him over which is an oddly specific target to go for over Speilberg or Zemeckis.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah. A friend of mine met him at an event here a couple years ago and could only get him to sign a Willard poster.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

peer posted:

Crews' question was "why is it okay to be transgender, but not transracial", which is a moronic statement

Wait, was he arguing against people being transgender or against people being transracial, or something else altogether?

As far as transracial goes, I've literally never even heard of the concept.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

-Blackadder- posted:

Wait, was he arguing against people being transgender or against people being transracial, or something else altogether?

Last year it was revealed that a woman working for the NAACP wasn't actually African American, but Caucasian. Her defense was she identified as AA, so that should be considered her race. Crews is married to a Caucasian women, so his argument was shouldn't his kids be able to identify as Caucasian if they wanted to. He was trying to bring up the point that since people can choose what gender they identify with, why can't they choose what race they identify with. But he worded it all wrong. Instead of saying "why is it okay to be transgender, but not transracial", he should have said "why is it not okay to be transracial?" He should never have brought up transgendered people, and rightfully caught flack for doing so.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's actually fairly easy and banal to answer "why is it okay to be transgender but not transracial", or to be more accurate, it's fairly easy to explain why one is a thing and the other is just odd. It's not that being transracial is "not okay", even, it's just... silly and depends, at best, on a willful ignorance of neuroscience.

And according to most legal systems, it actually is perfectly acceptable to identify as any race you want already. It's only a problem in strange edge cases like that woman reporter (edit: or that woman mentioned in the post above)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Much neuroscience is horseshit. It’s a really lousy way to attack transracialism.

Anyway, the debate about transgenderism and transracialism has raged in academic circles too. A philosopher and a journal were recently subjected to a witchhunt for making, in essence, a more substantial version of Crews’ point.

I accept that the two should not be compared, but the response to these things should not be unmitigated outrage. It’s new terrain for everybody.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm 100% white, but I identify as black—particularly Haitian. gently caress off, haters.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
The best answer to 'why is it okay to be transgender and not transracial' is a combination of 'what the gently caress are you talking about transgender people are murdered every day just for existing' and 'the two concepts have completely different social contexts and histories and basically have nothing in common besides the fact that some idiot decided to steal terminology from transgender people'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It's pretty easy to see where Crews was coming from with that question and it's not transphobia. It might be ignorant but like, ignorance isn't always about hate or biases. Sometimes it's just genuinely not knowing what to do with a concept that is new or foreign to someone.