Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braxton Beverly now apparently eligible for State, what it took was finally getting lots of lawyers involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Last night the Gavitt Games kicked off with Minnesota winning at Providence. Tonight Purdue is at Marquette.

Wednesday:
Indiana @ Seton Hall
Butler @ Maryland
Creighton @ Northwestern

Thursday:
Nebraska @ St. John's
Xavier @ Wisconsin

Friday wraps up with DePaul @ Illinois.

Purdue / Marquette, Butler / Maryland, and Xavier / Wisconsin should all be good games. Is Creighton any good this year?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lobos are playing their N7 game tonight against Nebraska-Omaha, and they’re wearing special turquoise uniforms for it.

The color scheme is cool but the butt strips and shorts striping is bad to meh.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

This Ball sucks but the next one seems like he’ll probably be a good colllege player so presumably they want to hang on until this. They already hired Steve Alford to coach the team and he’s way more reprehensible than LaVar ball acting like a doofus has ever been

Allegedly he's the best Ball.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

I liked what I saw from the Gophers last night. I look forward to them using their non-conference schedule to gradually build up my confidence in them before crushing my hopes and dreams in spectacular Minnesota fashion by the middle of the conference schedule.

The national media tweets about 'final four caliber' are entirely unfair and ridiculous. Set your expectations to "between Sparty and the Wildcats" and enjoy the season.

Unless Reggie learns how to avoid foul trouble, Isiah figures out how to manage the game's flow as a true freshman, and Murphy actually has the outside shot he claims to have developed. If those three things happen, I'll save a seat for you at the front of the bandwagon.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is NOT good.

Rumor Billy Preston will not play. Again. He's bitching on twitter 2 hrs before the game.

Billy Preston♕

@nolimitbill

Facts! I got people that’s trying to hold me back from that though #NotGonnaHappen @BartenderChic78

Billy Preston♕‏Verified account @nolimitbill

Smh people love trying to see me fail.
2:27 PM - 14 Nov 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Grayson Allen is a flopping bitch

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We lost to Liberty.

This is as close to a firable two game start as I've ever seen. Jesus Christ Almighty.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

WELP

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
NC State picked up another former Ohio State commit, Derek Funderburk. Don't know anything about why he got dismissed from OSU, but as a Hargrave alum who played there with Beverly and has known Keatts for years, it's pretty natural for him to move over to Raleigh. He'll be eligible next year and count as a redshirt sophomore.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/dreyerchina/status/930460790204723200

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GobiasIndustries posted:

Grayson Allen is a flopping bitch

The flopping part is not necessary. He plays for Duke, and thus is a bitch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Allegedly he's the best Ball.

Nah, Lonzo’s the best one

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lobos had their first triple digit game in 4 years, and first consectutive triple digit games since 1998.

I knew our offense was bad under Neal and Alford, but I didn’t know we were Wisconsin-lite.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's immensely frustrating that Izzo will never beat Krzyzewski or Roy Williams again and that loss would've been uglier with Bagley but it was still a hell of a game. I might actually get back into college hoops this year.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
gently caress Duke

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Duke is producing/has produced some extremely cool NBA players. Get in on the ground floor.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Not at all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Adun posted:

Duke is producing/has produced some extremely cool NBA players. Get in on the ground floor.

Only Grant Hill and Elton Brand are cool. The rest are a flat earther and a bunch of Plumlees.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Khagan posted:

gently caress Duke

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/930815626460921856

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Super excited for months of wall to wall coverage of a trump lavar ball fued over whether the least relevant ball brother was sufficiently grateful definitely not gonna go home and set my tv on fire

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

Only Grant Hill and Elton Brand are cool. The rest are a flat earther and a bunch of Plumlees.

Jayson Tatum and Seth Curry are both fun and cool!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tyus Jones is also very cool and good

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
gently caress Duke and gently caress Kansas.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Adun posted:

Seth Curry went to both Liberty and Duke. He is extremely uncool.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Thank you President Deals for saving the least skilled Ball brother from Chinese prison.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I found this enjoyable. An exerpt from a book about the KU/Big 12 streak when Kevin Durant waltzed in as a freshman and set Allen Fieldhouse on FIRE

quote:

An excerpt from the book about the KU-Texas game —which KU won over Durant’s Longhorns, 90-86, in 2007 — appears below.

From “Beyond the Streak: Untold Stories from Kansas Basketball’s Unrivaled Big 12 Reign.”

Russell Robinson: “In the back of my mind I was thinking, ‘Sure, he (Durant) has been playing really well. But he’s still a freshman. The pressure of the Fieldhouse is going to get to him. The fans are going to be turned up and we’ve got a strong team with lottery picks, as well.’” We felt like we’d be fine. How much can he really do? We thought it was more about keeping guys like A.J. Abrams and D.J. Augustin from getting hot.”

Durant — the Big 12-leader in points, rebounds and blocks — opened the game by making 8 of his first 10 shots. He hit the 20-point plateau with a three-pointer at the 7:55 mark, as Texas surged to a 51-35 lead.

Russell Robinson (laughing): “Boy, did he surprise us that first half. I remember going back to the bench for a time-out. I walked in last, just as the coaches were huddling up, and I heard coach Bill Self asking coach (Joe) Dooley, ‘What are we going to do with this guy?’ Dooley was speechless for a minute, and then he just shook his head and said, “I don’t know. I really don’t know.’”

Kevin Durant: “I was just lost in the game. I was so happy to be there and to be playing in that arena at that time against that great team.

“They had Chalmers, Shady, Julian Wright, Brandon Rush, Darnell Jackson, Russell Robinson, Sasha Kaun … they had a squad. They were all pros. I’d known Julian for a long time. He started off on me and then they switched to Brandon Rush and eventually to Darnell Jackson.

“My first shot went in and, from there, my confidence level kept rising and rising and I was able to knock down some shots.

“It was fun, man. It was fun to look over and see coach Self shaking his head and to hear the crowd get quiet when we built that lead. We were up by 16 at one point. To suck the air out of that historic arena, even for a half … I’ll take that.”

Assistant coach Kurtis Townsend: “Julian Wright started off on him. He’s a good athlete and we thought he could give Durant some trouble with his length. But he was just killing Julian. He had 25 in the first half. We switched Julian off of him and gave Brandon a chance. Brandon was our best perimeter defender and we thought maybe Brandon playing underneath him would be good. That was eight minutes into the first half. I remember the next timeout Brandon came to the bench and said, ‘“I can’t guard that (bleep). He’s too big. He’s too good.’”

Assistant coach Tim Jankovich: “We started Julian on him and Durant starts shooting it from 25 feet. Then he moves back and tries to hit a shot from every logo on the court. He was making every shot.

“I look up at the 8:00 mark of the first half, maybe just under eight minutes, and they’ve got everyone’s scoring total up on the scoreboard. He had 20 points! I leaned over to Bill and whispered, ‘He’s going to get 80 on us! He’s going to score 80!’ I’ll never forget thinking, ‘Oh my God, this guy is going to come into the Fieldhouse as a freshman and hang 80 on a team that has five pros on it.’”

Assistant coach Joe Dooley: “Jank was always so positive.”

Bill Self: “At one point, I turned to Danny Manning, who’d had a decent game or two at Allen Fieldhouse during his career. I said, ‘Danny, you have any ideas?’ And he said, ‘That’s the baddest man to ever play on the this court. He’s a baaadddd man.’”

Director of Student-Athlete Development Danny Manning: “You always appreciate guys that are able to do things you hardly ever see. You can’t help but marvel at talent like that.

“You’d like to think you could play better defense, but he was making some tough shots. He was catching the ball, squaring guys up, jabbing them off, rising up, shooting pull-up Js and scoring at all three different levels. He was out there balling and we didn’t have anything to stop him.”

Jeremy Case: “I remember sitting in there thinking, ‘“Can anybody guard this guy?’ Coach Self’s like, ‘OK, Julian, you try to guard him.’ He scored like five straight on Julian. ‘OK, Darnell, you try.’ I’m sitting there like, ‘We’re going to have Darnell guard him? Come on, coach, what are you thinking?’ Then he scores on Darnell. I’m like, ‘Are we going to box-and-one this dude? What are we going to do?’’’

Brandon Rush: “I didn’t know he was that good and that tall. He was killing Julian. He was tearing Julian’s (behind) up, left and right. Then it was my turn.

“Then they put me on him and, right off the bat, he hit a shot over me and he goes, ‘Uh oh, it’s about to be a long night! You’re too little!’ He was talking trash and I couldn’t say anything back. How could I? He drat near had 30 points—in the first half!”

Texas coach Rick Barnes: “The first 20 minutes of that game was the best half of basketball Kevin Durant ever played collegiately. We were isolating him and giving him the ball, just daring them to double-team him. They tried to double-team him from every possible angle you could double-team him, and he always made the right read. He got wide open shots. That first half … they had no answer. No matter what they did, he had an answer for anything.”

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

Extremely nah

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Quentin Grimes to Kansas.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

quote:

I discovered that it was at Duke that Spencer began to develop his belief that the cause of white nationalism would require the dissolution of college and professional sports. He laid out his thinking in a pair of pieces, one in 2010 titled “White Devils: The Unbearable Whiteness of Duke Basketball,” praising the fact that Duke’s basketball team often had more white players than other top college programs; and a sequel in 2015 called “Where Have All the White Devils Gone?” which documented his disappointment that the number of black players at Duke had since gone up.

Duke success in the one and done era pisses off Richard Spencer so that’s cool too.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Adun posted:

Duke success in the one and done era pisses off Richard Spencer so that’s cool too.

On the other hand he's definitely got a lil Nazi chubby for Grayson Allen, exemplary Blue Devil four-year student athlete.

Honestly I don't get the evangelistic overtures, surely the biggest thrill of Duke fandom outside the admittedly pure and righteous hatred of UNC is knowing that every loving other person hates your team. It's like being a Yankees fan or a serial murderer, if you have to do it out of whatever deficiency of your soul you might as well embrace it to the hilt.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

well northwestern lost to creighton, does that mean they pretty much are done with the NCAA tournament? i've never rooted for a team that was supposed to go to the tournament before.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

R.D. Mangles posted:

well northwestern lost to creighton, does that mean they pretty much are done with the NCAA tournament? i've never rooted for a team that was supposed to go to the tournament before.

They could somehow win the Big Ten.

Or pull of an impressive streak of wins.

But chances are, they're toast. :rip:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gently caress to the mcdermotts

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

R.D. Mangles posted:

One bad loss doesn't matter, two is concerning, three is real bad. Just means when the inevitable dumb loss to Nebraska or Rutgers happens you'll start refreshing bubble analysis pages furiously for a month or two.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Creighton isn’t even a bad loss

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

Creighton isn’t even a bad loss

Yeah haven't they been a fairly solid team for a pretty long time now?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/931122234437046272
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/931123400810037248

This sounds like he's reading off a bad Hallmark Card or something. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

R.D. Mangles posted:

You still have Georgia Tech and Oklahoma. Neither are as good as Creighton, but if you win those and don’t bomb in the Big 10, you’ll be fine.

• Locked thread