Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tim0mit
Dec 28, 2008
Audiobook just downloaded, 55 hours! See you all in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Ok I giggled through the Ellista interlude.

Sequels always have to be bigger

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Nice Adolin's fashion sense callback.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The book is $16.79 on Walmart.com and they price match in store

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
My hardcover arrived today and I've just realized how unprepared I am and am debating whether or not I should cliffnotes book 2 or re-read it
:ohdear:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Razzled posted:

My hardcover arrived today and I've just realized how unprepared I am and am debating whether or not I should cliffnotes book 2 or re-read it
:ohdear:

There are summaries online

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Boy, uh, this Dalinar flashback has been foreboded to hell and back

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Read this webpage. That should be a good recap of WOR.

Fezz posted:

Here's a quick recap that someone was looking for earlier.

https://www.tor.com/2017/08/15/stormlight-archive-refresher/

Poor Venli, all she wanted was power.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Fezz posted:

Kind of wondering how the Eshonai thing will go at this juncture (haven't finished yet)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Fezz posted:

thanks! this is perfect

i cannot wait for more cute syl and kaladin conversations

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just finished Part two. And drat have I been enjoying this

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

M_Gargantua posted:

Just finished Part two. And drat have I been enjoying this

I'm halfway through part 4 and it o my gets better.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ok I giggled through the Ellista interlude.

That's the one with the bodice ripper? That was an unexpected bit of fun.

Lopen is still the best Lopen.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Boy, uh, this Dalinar flashback has been foreboded to hell and back

Like an Animal hoo boy. Beats Shallan's flashback in WoR.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My hardcover arrived from Amazon with a badly crinkled/damaged jacket sleeve... :argh:

They just threw the poo poo in a box that was too large and sent it off. I’ve asked for a replacement, but how annoying.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
What's on the inside of the dust jacket?

I'm sad the kindle version doesn't have the end pages despite Words or Radiance having them.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

A map of Roshar. Not sure if it's the same one from previous books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Done at 2am. Wow.

So, Szeth and Eshonai to round out this arc, eh???

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Done at 2am. Wow.

So, Szeth and Eshonai to round out this arc, eh???

Fixed your loving post for you

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

That was good, when's the next one out?

Few quick questions for stuff I can't be bothered to check:

1) Where have we seen the spren that Venli gets before? I'm sure I remember a similar Spren being referenced once or twice.

2) Is Azure someone in particular from Warbreaker? It's been a while and I can't remember poo poo.

3) What was the only order missing from the Knights Radiant scene that Dalinar comments on? Seems like it could be portentous.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

team overhead smash posted:

1) Where have we seen the spren that Venli gets before? I'm sure I remember a similar Spren being referenced once or twice.

2) Is Azure someone in particular from Warbreaker? It's been a while and I can't remember poo poo.

3) What was the only order missing from the Knights Radiant scene that Dalinar comments on? Seems like it could be portentous.

For question 2: I think that's meant to be Vivenna. I noticed she's a lot better at not dropping inappropriate colour metaphors then Vasher is.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

1) It's the spren that crawls out from under Eshonai's corpse. Was she swearing her oaths before she died? Or is it somehow Eshonai herself? Venli has a voidspren in her gemheart to grant her the new stormforms, but it's apparently not a surgebinding spren, so she's still open to a bond.

3) Of the ones at the scene who have actually sworn a real order with the appropriate spren: Skybreaker - Szeth, Edgedancer - Lift, Bondsmith - Dalinar, Lightweaver - Shallan, Elsecaller - Jasnah, Windrunner - Kaladin.

At the scene we're missing Willshaper, Stonewarden, Truthwatcher (Renarin has sworn to a corrupted spren of this order, does this count? or is he a new thing entirely), and Dustbringer (Malata) so Venli will be a Willshaper?

Note that per Nin the original Heralds mostly did not actually swear the Oaths of their patron Orders, so I'm not counting Shalash as a Lightweaver or Taln as Stonewardens yet, though Taln is probably a sure thing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 15, 2017

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

1) It's the spren that crawls out from under Eshonai's corpse. Was she swearing her oaths before she died? Or is it somehow Eshonai herself? Venli has a voidspren in her gemheart to grant her the new stormforms, but it's apparently not a surgebinding spren, so she's still open to a bond.

3) Of the ones at the scene who have actually sworn a real order with the appropriate spren: Skybreaker - Szeth, Edgedancer - Lift, Bondsmith - Dalinar, Lightweaver - Shallan, Elsecaller - Jasnah, Windrunner - Kaladin.

At the scene we're missing Willshaper, Stonewarden, Truthwatcher, and Dustbringer (Malata) so Venli will be a Willshaper?

Note that per Nin the original Heralds mostly did not actually swear the Oaths of their patron Orders, so I'm not counting Shalash as a Lightweaver or Taln as Stonewardens yet, though Taln is probably a sure thing.

Re 1) No, I got that. I'm just thinking that I remember a spren described similarly from previous books.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Tunzie posted:

For question 2: I think that's meant to be Vivenna. I noticed she's a lot better at not dropping inappropriate colour metaphors then Vasher is.

That was my gut feeling too. If I'm not the only one then I'm fairly certain that's what Brandon intended

love that her sword sucked the color out of its victims

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

After some googling, Eshonai sees a comet-like spren that seems to bring back her past self in book 2. Kalidan also sees what is possibly a corrupted version when he fights Szeth.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

After some googling, Eshonai sees a comet-like spren that seems to bring back her past self in book 2. Kalidan also sees what is possibly a corrupted version when he fights Szeth.

Good catch. That's a setback for the Eshonai/Venli theory.

e: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/62362-ob-on-the-varieties-of-true-spren/ (spoiler warning etc) with the most likely categorization of the surgebinding spren types plus their descriptions in the physical and cognitive realms.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 15, 2017

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I kind of feel dumb for only realising this after the fact: The Stormlight Archive is probably that collection of gems with messages left in Urithiru.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

blue squares posted:

Fixed your loving post for you

It's not a spoiler that Szeth and Eshonai are the remaining flashback focus characters of the front 5.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

It seems like it's a lightspren - which adds up from the description, and also the captain on that boat mentions his daughter went to go bond someone

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Trasson posted:

It's not a spoiler that Szeth and Eshonai are the remaining flashback focus characters of the front 5.

Yeah, it kind of is as it isn't part of the books themselves and not everyone digs around the Cppermind wiki or or reads all Sanderson interviews to find stuff like that out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The book is great. But reading Warbringer went from "recommended" to "required".

Favorite little moment in the book: Venli thinking that Dalinar meant her when he said "You can change. You can become a better person. I did."

Mr. Hasty
Jan 12, 2004
Dick Tasty for President 2020

3. I think he's not commenting on the orders so much as the 10 flashback characters where only Eshonai is missing

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tunzie posted:

No I'm pretty sure Azure is Shashara. She mentions being responsible for the Nightblood (that Vasher used to have in Warbreaker and now Szeth has). Shashara was one of the Five Scholars and created the Nightblood with Vasher. Also, Zehel is almost certainly Vasher.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
WoB is that Zahel is Vasher. This is 100% not disputed. Azure is Vivenna, she learned the kata from the same person that Adolin did. She was a student. Shashara would not have described her relationship with Vasher as such.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fezz posted:

WoB is that Zahel is Vasher. This is 100% not disputed. Azure is Vivenna, she learned the kata from the same person that Adolin did. She was a student. Shashara would not have described her relationship with Vasher as such.

Fair enough.

Also,

What's WoB?

EDIT NVM figured it out "Word of Brandon"

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Reading the Coppermind, it looks like Vasher killed Shashara with Nightblood so she's probably not on Roshar during the SA books.

Do you think the lighthouse keeper in Shadesmar was an Elantrian? Or just a regular Selish person?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Fezz posted:

While I'm 90% sure Azure is Vivenna as well, I think there's a small possibility that she is Vivenna or Siri's kid. She had the royal locks so she has to be of that bloodline. However, there are some comments that Azure makes in Shadesmar that don't quite mesh with her being Vivenna. She references learning about ruling from her father and uncle (Susebrone and Vasher?), she references turning down a kingdom, she would need to be several hundred years old to be on Roshar during Stormlight (possible if she has thousands of breaths), and some others I can't remember off the top of my head.

I'm still pretty sure she's Vivenna but there's a small possibility that's she's just someone else in the same family (or hypothetically just another descendant of a Returned).

Fezz posted:

Reading the Coppermind, it looks like Vasher killed Shashara with Nightblood so she's probably not on Roshar during the SA books.

Do you think the lighthouse keeper in Shadesmar was an Elantrian? Or just a regular Selish person?

He's definitely hopped to more than Swl because he mentions heightenings as well.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, it kind of is as it isn't part of the books themselves and not everyone digs around the Cppermind wiki or or reads all Sanderson interviews to find stuff like that out.

I've got another spoiler, then. There's ten books planned. Arc of five, timeskip, then another 5. Oh, and there's more Mistborn planned, and it takes place at after Stormlight.

Etc. Etc.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Trasson posted:

I've got another spoiler, then. There's ten books planned. Arc of five, timeskip, then another 5. Oh, and there's more Mistborn planned, and it takes place at after Stormlight.

Etc. Etc.

I remember reading Mistborn when it came out thinking, "Hey here's a neat little fantasy book. I like the internally consistent magic system he's made. I hope he makes some more like this"

LITTLE DID I KNOW WHAT WAS TO COME

and I love it.

Also, didn't realize there was wiki on all of this stuff. Welp, there's a rabbit hole for me, I guess.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's like knowing there's going to be a han solo disney star wars movie

that's really not a spoiler however you slice it