Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

The New tab URL option in Vimium is set to about :newtab

This is probably because vimium/addons are basically JavaScript now, so tst probably thinks a page opened your new tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

Can someone link me to the documentation for web extensions in ff? I'm not gonna do a full salr rewrite, but I am gonna throw together a replacement for the grenade menu, quote highlighting, the navigator thing, and navigation gestures because I liked those features and I miss them.

your own quote highlighting is a forum feature now btw

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Doesn't support uBlock Origin. :(
Unless there's a secret version around somewhere, but the version on the MS store just says "This app does not work on your device."

Right now I'm weighing the positives/negatives of switching to Samsung Internet Browser by Samsung and the separate ABP for Samsung Internet Browser app.
Advantage: New tab page is actually usable.
Disadvantages: Having to use ABP with no ability to add custom filters and no "I Don't Care About Cookies" addon to make up for the inability to block those through ABP.

I think I might just have to make a html file with the pages I frequent and see if I can't get Firefox to display that as new tab page.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The few pages that loaded faster in 57 now load just as fast in 56 and I kept my old functionality. The update was almost worth the annoyance.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have noticed a faster startup time as of late.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

astral posted:

your own quote highlighting is a forum feature now btw

Is it off by default, because it wasn't doing it for me :(

One less feature to implement I guess. I don't really see a point in any of the color changing stuff being reimplemented given a tiny amount of css can do that in any of the many the theming extensions.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

iospace posted:

There seemed to be a couple options to enable multi-row tabs in :config, but I didn't toy with them because that wasn't the setting I wasn't looking for personally.

No kidding? Well, that's something to Google. Thanks!

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Update went well for me. It's definitely significantly faster than previous versions. I lost a handful of extensions like Cookie Monster, Flashblock, QuickJava; luckily Request Policy and NoScript should be coming out with new versions soon. Though, uMatrix seems to be working pretty well as a temporary replacement.

Overall, I think this is a really great step for Firefox.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

tonberrytoby posted:

So I have been updating my addons in preparation for the move to ff57.

To get mouse gestures to work correctly on linux, I followed the recommendation in the 7 month old bug report and installed easystroke. It hasn't been updated since 2013 and is so obviously a product of the early days of compiz that my system feels totally rad and modern now.

To get "open with" updated to webex it needed me to install an external python script. I feel much saver now.

I got some questions, too.
I use "Context Search" and "Add to Search Bar" a lot. Are there webextensions that allow me to add a new search engine to the context menu? The Context Search author is waiting for an API method before he ports.
And a method to add my own search engine to the list of engines. A casual search seems to imply that the recommended way is to write my own webex for every engine separately.

Also, I sometimes use a addon called "right to click", which overwrites sites that make it impossible to select text on their site. Is there a webex that can do something like this? It is seriously annoying to google.

Don't know if it's been answered the past few pages but Foxy Gestures and Context Search take care of two of your issues.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Don't know if it's been answered the past few pages but Foxy Gestures and Context Search take care of two of your issues.
I did find Context Search. Foxy Gestures doesn't work on linux or macos, thus the crazy workaround.
I technically got everything to work, but some of those methods are just hilariously clumsy.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Does anyone know of a good alternative to this or if it's even going to be possible with the switch to webextensions? It certainly looks like the dev abandoned it at this point, so I'm not holding out much hope for that one getting an update.

That and SALR are the only two extensions I have left that don't have updates or good alternatives that I know of.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lum posted:

userChrome.css
code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#TabsToolbar, #sidebar-header {
    visibility: collapse !important;
}
Also turn on the OS titlebar in the customise menu.

My profile doesn't seem to have a /chrome/ or a userChrome.css

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

My profile doesn't seem to have a /chrome/ or a userChrome.css

Just create them yourself.

mediaman
May 11, 2004

That's the beauty of it. It doesn't DO anything!

Geemer posted:

Holy poo poo, the new tab page is completely worthless now!
The tiles with most-visited sites are now lovely little favicons with barely any indication where they lead to.

This is why I came here. I tried searching for 'Firefox 57 font' or 'Quantum tabs' = nothing. I'm on 51.0.1 32 bit at work. Tabs have 10 characters. At home on 57 it shows, I think 5 characters?!?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mediaman posted:

This is why I came here. I tried searching for 'Firefox 57 font' or 'Quantum tabs' = nothing. I'm on 51.0.1 32 bit at work. Tabs have 10 characters. At home on 57 it shows, I think 5 characters?!?

You can switch browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.enabled to false in about :config to get the old style new tab page back.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

mediaman posted:

I was talking about the Android version specifically. I haven't even tried desktop yet.

Jack Trades posted:

You can switch browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.enabled to false in about :config to get the old style new tab page back.

Unfortunately, this switch doesn't exist for Android.

E: Lol, you can't even edit pinned sites anymore on Android, just remove them and hope whatever you want shows up in the blank spot, I guess.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 16, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Foxy doesn't have one for bookmarks or I can't find it. What a strange thing to lack.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thanks for these links. This looks way less gross than the .net webforms poo poo I used to do for work. If none of the official SALR maintainers has anything up by the time I'm done I'll share my work, but I'm not gonna work particularly fast because I'm really just doing it for the hell of it.

Astral are you cool if I steal icons and stuff from the existing SALR extension? I'm no artist. If there's anybody that needs crediting in the About page I'll of course do that.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Xenomorph posted:

Well, I'm finally trying out Firefox, again.
It was my primary browser starting with Phoenix 0.1, but (like many others), I found Google Chrome scaled and performed much better on newer hardware, so I switched to it some time ago.

This new Firefox 57 seems to finally perform as well as Chrome, so I'm giving it another shot.

The default look is so ugly, though. Square, boxy tabs makes it look like some old version of Opera.
I then found this page:

https://github.com/wilfredwee/photon-australis

Its userChrome.css settings seem to give Firefox 57 the nice, rounded tabs again.

Not everyone uses a computer with a ton of RAM. My primary Laptop and Desktop have a ton, but my secondary systems (and a lot of the computers my clients use) still only have 2-4GB of RAM.

Firefox (pre 57) performed best on those systems due having fewer processes and using limited RAM.

i think they look nice? they definitely look nicer than the rounded australis look; prob more information density too

astral
Apr 26, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

Thanks for these links. This looks way less gross than the .net webforms poo poo I used to do for work. If none of the official SALR maintainers has anything up by the time I'm done I'll share my work, but I'm not gonna work particularly fast because I'm really just doing it for the hell of it.

Astral are you cool if I steal icons and stuff from the existing SALR extension? I'm no artist. If there's anybody that needs crediting in the About page I'll of course do that.

Probably depends on the icons/images involved. By the way, if you (or anyone else, for that matter) are interested in collaborating on some kind of SALR Lite: WebEx Edition we can absolutely get something official going to tide people over until whatever XenForo future may occur. Thanks to the work done to make it multiprocess-friendly, some stuff would be nearly as simple as a copy/paste. A lot requires more finessing, and there are some things that are quite frankly still impossible with webextensions.

sidenote: last I heard content scripts still don't get "extension is shutdown you should shutdown" messages but I'd have to see if 57 actually fixed that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The one thing I would love (personally as a mod) is this: rap sheet link again on the profile page and "custom titles" for users which is useful for keeping track of avatar/name changes for problematic users.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just upgraded and like it a lot. Pages do seem to load faster but that might be placebo from reading the marketing. This is on a desktop with 16 gigs RAM so it never felt slow in the first place.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

iospace posted:

The one thing I would love (personally as a mod) is this: rap sheet link again on the profile page and "custom titles" for users which is useful for keeping track of avatar/name changes for problematic users.

The "hide avatar" button is helpful too in case people have borderline nsfw titles.

The search in thread is great too. Really pretty much everything in SALR is great except gesture navigation but I say that because I don't use it so I can't really judge.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

astral posted:

cis autodrag posted:

Probably depends on the icons/images involved. By the way, if you (or anyone else, for that matter) are interested in collaborating on some kind of SALR Lite: WebEx Edition we can absolutely get something official going to tide people over until whatever XenForo future may occur. Thanks to the work done to make it multiprocess-friendly, some stuff would be nearly as simple as a copy/paste. A lot requires more finessing, and there are some things that are quite frankly still impossible with webextensions.

sidenote: last I heard content scripts still don't get "extension is shutdown you should shutdown" messages but I'd have to see if 57 actually fixed that.

Don't forget to use the Chrome SALR addon as a resource, as it's already a webextension, just not a Firefox compatible one.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Well with some userChrome.css tweaks I find 57 tolerable. I never had any speed or memory issues before, and performance seems completely identical to me. But whatever, progress I guess. I do still have a few annoyances if anyone knows a fix for.
  • I'm the one guy left who doesn't use tabs all that much, I browse with a lot of different windows instead. Is there a way to hide the tab bar when you only have one tab open? Because that's my normal browsing state, and now I lost another 50 pixels or whatever of screen real estate to a constant tab bar.
  • I used to use the add-on Open link in... to be able to override links hardcoded to open in a new window, to redirect them to open in the current window or a tab or something. I don't want every new window link to open in a new tab instead, I know about that option, I just want to be able to redirect new window links when I want. Is there a userChome hack to add custom things to the context menu?
  • Addition: Apparently you can't middle-click in a page to load a url that's in the clipboard anymore, I'm not sure if that was just a Linux thing or not but I used that all the time.

Knormal fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 16, 2017

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
the only SALR thing I really want is its dropdown menu for favorite forums
I hate bookmarks

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Since the update my tab bar scrolls really slowly, is there a way to speed it up?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Merkinman posted:

Go to about :support (no space, don't know why it's there)
Click "open folder"
In said folder create a folder called chrome (if not already present)
make a new file called userChrome.css and have its content be this:

Thanks a tonne for this.

I resize my hover link popups because for some reason, Firefox displays them in a size readable only by mice and, like Insurrectionist, my changes just stopped working the other day.

Now I've pasted the code into the userChrome file and everything's working again.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
on my good desktop this new firefox is using an incredible amount of cpu, what the actual gently caress. 70% on it's own, my computer's so noisy with it running

stop changing the look of the browser and make it run better you mongoloids

Relin fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 16, 2017

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Maybe you're on one of those sites with a coin miner script in the background? :v:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the only tab i had open was SA. now it's behaving

:iiam:

other people are reporting similar problems elsewhere i see

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Firefox having TreeStyle tab is like the main thing keeping me to it, though it's been good, or at least OK, to me, over the years.

Out of interest to any other browsers have it? Chrome has an extension but it's a weird docking sidebar window.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

bewilderment posted:

Firefox having TreeStyle tab is like the main thing keeping me to it, though it's been good, or at least OK, to me, over the years.

Out of interest to any other browsers have it? Chrome has an extension but it's a weird docking sidebar window.

Most other browsers ARE Chrome at this point. Unless they're Safari, which Chrome is a fork of. The only reason Firefox still has it is because Piro has spent a ton of time working with Mozilla to get necessary features into the API.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Relin posted:

the only tab i had open was SA. now it's behaving

:iiam:

other people are reporting similar problems elsewhere i see

Did you click the page number dropdown on a long thread? That seems to spike the cpu for me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I find it uses less CPU and perhaps less memory. Haven't stress tested it, but definitely notice the slowdowns I used to get (caused by tab state saving to disk making GBS threads itself after x amount of tabs) are gone. But one thing I have noticed, also with Chrome, is that an ad blocker will sometimes fight an ad, the ad script keeps trying to relaunch an ad when it gets blocked. This causes loads of CPU use. You can really poo poo up your browser with some unfortunate javascript, as I noticed when I tried writing some javascript.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

iospace posted:

Oh right, and I miss the vimperator addon but that one was effectively dead well before the API change :smith:

(Vimium is fine, but I miss my ctrl-a and ctrl-x functionality, as well as gu working the way it did in Vimperator)

In the same boat here, though I'm pretty sure Vimium can be configured to use gu as vimperator did.

Vimium is acceptable for now, but there's a much better Chrome extension call cVim that I hope can get ported.

Config files, much more control & goes a bit further in terms of features.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Trip report from the GIF thread. Actually perfectly navigable. It would totally poo poo itself on the second page before, Chrome would too for me. Blocked autoplay gifvs make it no sweat of course, but even autoplay enabled is fine, although the gifvs struggle a bit with loading and playing back completely all at the same time.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Bit the bullet. I want the close tab button removed from all tabs, even the current tab.

code:
.tab-close-button {
    display: none !important;
}
is not cutting it.

One other major thing: how can I scroll through tabs using the mouse wheel when hovering over the tab bar?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Bit the bullet. I want the close tab button removed from all tabs, even the current tab.

code:
.tab-close-button {
    display: none !important;
}
is not cutting it.

CTR's collection of CSS hacks uses this:

code:

.tabbrowser-tab .tab-close-button {
  visibility: collapse !important;
}
They've also got a css to hide the page action button as of the latest version (and probably before, but I didn't check), which is good because for some reason my using the exact same code in userchrome did gently caress-all after the beta updated itself. So if that doesn't work, I guess you could bite the bullet and use their thing, which just imports css files from a directory, so you can switch things on and off easily enough for all the crap you don't want.

RichardA posted:

Did you click the page number dropdown on a long thread? That seems to spike the cpu for me.

I feel like I heard a story about how that actually does something insane to figure out how many pages there are, and I doubt that'll ever be fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Zenostein posted:

CTR's collection of CSS hacks

Thanks, it's working now.