Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Necrodancer was super hard for me as well and I consider myself decent at rhythm games. It's not entirely the same skillset since you're not just following the rhythm, you have to recognize patterns and make decisions to the rhythm.

Enemies and behaviors are incredibly predictable though so it's literally a case of practice makes perfect. I can nail down wins on a daily basis now but it took a decent effort to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

RyokoTK posted:

Necrodancer was super hard for me as well and I consider myself decent at rhythm games. It's not entirely the same skillset since you're not just following the rhythm, you have to recognize patterns and make decisions to the rhythm.

Enemies and behaviors are incredibly predictable though so it's literally a case of practice makes perfect. I can nail down wins on a daily basis now but it took a decent effort to get there.

Thank you I thought I'm crazy because I'm also reasonably good at rhythm games but eat poo poo in Necrodancer. I don't have enough patience to put in the effort when there's other stuff to play, but it's a shame because it's a neat concept.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

I initially made the mistake of just mashing into minibosses to attack instead of moving in and away to the beat/with their pattern. That made a big difference. Noodling around in the easier Dancepad Mode helps, too.

My current favorite little thing in this game is how the merchant sings along when he's in earshot. Dude's got lungs!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you have the DLC you also have access to an easier character, Nocturna, who starts with a really good weapon and has a cheat death ability in the bat transform. So that's a good way to get more comfortable with the game.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

RyokoTK posted:

If you have the DLC you also have access to an easier character, Nocturna, who starts with a really good weapon and has a cheat death ability in the bat transform. So that's a good way to get more comfortable with the game.

She also introduces enemies from the new zone right of the bat :drac: which slightly offsets her advantages, at least initially.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
You can also try the Bard, who doesn’t have to move with the music and has no time limit.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

jaclynhyde posted:

You can also try the Bard, who doesn’t have to move with the music and has no time limit.

You can do that yeah, but I'd advise against it since it eliminates the actual challenging part of the game that needs practice, which isn't the Roguelike stuff, it's having to do the Roguelike stuff to the rhythm. But at least it lets you get a good handle on enemy movements.

Overminty posted:

She also introduces enemies from the new zone right of the bat :drac: which slightly offsets her advantages, at least initially.

Zone 5 is super cool, and one of my PYF little things is standing on the electrical coils and blasting a swarm of skeletons at once. There's even an achievement for getting ten kills in one attack from that. :black101:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've never beaten zone 1 of crypt of the necrodancer. It's a great game, just really difficult for me for some reason.

... And I literally lived only to play rhythm games for about a decade. I breathed, ate, chewed, and poo poo nothing but Amplitude, Rez, Frequency, EBA, DDR (had a custom hard pad with bar), and even imported Ouendan. I just can't jive CotND.

Well, you just made me look and yes, people have hooked up DDR dance pads to play Necrodancer

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

RyokoTK posted:

Zone 5 is super cool, and one of my PYF little things is standing on the electrical coils and blasting a swarm of skeletons at once. There's even an achievement for getting ten kills in one attack from that. :black101:

Agreed but after getting the dlc it had been an age since I played vanilla, so being rusty AND having all this new poo poo thrown at me took a bit to get used to. The orcs still throw me off.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

1stGear posted:

One of the best is in Pillars of Eternity. In that game, you can pick various backgrounds that give you different dialogue options and flavor. But one of the least used is Philosopher (Nihilist). Until the end of the game when you discover the gods aren't real. The long-suffering Nihilist finally gets to shout "I KNEW IT".

gently caress me, I mean say what you want about the tenets of

MizPiz posted:

This is easily my favorite easter egg in a game:

Dude, but at least its an ethos.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CzarChasm posted:

Well, you just made me look and yes, people have hooked up DDR dance pads to play Necrodancer

Dancepad Mode is actually a difficulty mode on vanilla that rejiggers everything to make playing via dancepad feasible.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SiKboy posted:

gently caress me, I mean say what you want about the tenets of

Dude, but at least its an ethos.

:what:

e: vvv :doh: of course.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Nov 16, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_29yvYpf4w

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I am bad at Necrodancer. Farthest I've ever made it is zone 3; normally, I can't get 1. I still bought all the DLC just for the soundtracks.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

CzarChasm posted:

The first time I played it was on pad at a con demo with a friend. I was so out of practice for ddr type stuff but I loved that that was a control option right off the bat because it just makes sense.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Aleph Null posted:

I am bad at Necrodancer. Farthest I've ever made it is zone 3; normally, I can't get 1. I still bought all the DLC just for the soundtracks.

Zone 3 is a big jump in difficulty and Zone 4 is even worse.

Try to do the individual zone clears before you dig into All Zones, it’ll help you a lot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm going to reinstall Necrodancer now. I hope you guys are happy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I hated the writing in Borderlands 2 enough that it made me stop playing, and I have plenty of gripes with other Telltale games, but Tales from the Borderlands is absolutely fantastic. The QTE for Rhys to break the bandit's neck being literally impossible, and followed by the bandit and Sasha both roasting him for being a wuss had me in tears :allears:

Also Patrick Warburton is in it and does his Patrick Warburton voice and that's always a massive plus

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Danaru posted:

I hated the writing in Borderlands 2 enough that it made me stop playing, and I have plenty of gripes with other Telltale games, but Tales from the Borderlands is absolutely fantastic. The QTE for Rhys to break the bandit's neck being literally impossible, and followed by the bandit and Sasha both roasting him for being a wuss had me in tears :allears:

Also Patrick Warburton is in it and does his Patrick Warburton voice and that's always a massive plus
Tales is insanely fun. Chapter 4 has a long moment that literally made me laugh out loud, which is the only time a Borderlands game has made me laugh in any way whatsoever. It's extremely good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FactsAreUseless posted:

Tales is insanely fun. Chapter 4 has a long moment that literally made me laugh out loud, which is the only time a Borderlands game has made me laugh in any way whatsoever. It's extremely good.

It also has the only character death in a Borderlands game that made me feel sad :ohdear:.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm going to reinstall Necrodancer now. I hope you guys are happy.

Good luck! :)

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also has the only character death in a Borderlands game that made me feel sad :ohdear:.

See you, space cowboy.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Chapter 5 is also imho the best ending they've done since the original Walking Dead, it's like the one time where instead of being kind of abrupt and unsatisfying and petering off it winds up being one of the biggest and best in the entire game.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I played Tales from the Borderlands before any other Borderlands game. It's the reason I bought 1 and 2 and the Pre-Sequel. Tales is still the best of the bunch.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

I played Tales from the Borderlands before any other Borderlands game. It's the reason I bought 1 and 2 and the Pre-Sequel. Tales is still the best of the bunch.
Easily. Although I have a soft spot for BL2, which is bad but in a way where you can see it eventually getting good. But Pre-Sequel proved they learned gently caress-all.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

VolticSurge posted:

See you, space cowboy.

Catch a ride, you beautiful bastard.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

FactsAreUseless posted:

Easily. Although I have a soft spot for BL2, which is bad but in a way where you can see it eventually getting good. But Pre-Sequel proved they learned gently caress-all.

2 is the only other one I actually completed a play-through on. Almost twice, but it got old. Gage's robot was starting to lose its tankiness and I am bad at games.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Aleph Null posted:

Gage's robot was starting to lose its tankiness and I am bad at games.

My eternal paradox - to simultaneously love all games, and be bad at the good ones...

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Something about Borderlands 2 really tapped into my inner sperglord and I got really into grinding out OP levels and getting all the cool orange guns and poo poo.

I also played it with a friend who is apparently a space alien because he thinks it's the funniest game ever made, which made playing the game also useful for science and the general advancement of our understanding of the universe.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The jokes were all right the first time around, the serious parts were hot garbage. I don't see why a game meant to be played several times wouldn't have an easy way to skip all the dialogue but after several playthroughs I still loved everything that came out of Mr Torgue.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

rodbeard posted:

The jokes were all right the first time around, the serious parts were hot garbage. I don't see why a game meant to be played several times wouldn't have an easy way to skip all the dialogue but after several playthroughs I still loved everything that came out of Mr Torgue.

THERE IS NOTHING MORE BADASS THAN RESPECTING A LADY

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rodbeard posted:

Yeah, it's not the funniest thing ever made, but the jokes made for a lighter tone than a lot of FPSes, which I enjoyed. When it went serious it lost what I really liked about it.

Torgue got me to laugh out loud a lot, though, that was really something else.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Screaming Idiot posted:

The one meme gamers refuse to emulate

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

New Butt Order posted:

Something about Borderlands 2 really tapped into my inner sperglord and I got really into grinding out OP levels and getting all the cool orange guns and poo poo.

I also played it with a friend who is apparently a space alien because he thinks it's the funniest game ever made, which made playing the game also useful for science and the general advancement of our understanding of the universe.

I didn't like any of the Borderlands shooters that I've played but I did like the concept of that persistent stat tracking they did across characters in 2 where you got a drip feed of upgrade tokens based on all the different little milestones. Both because I love it when games track every tiny thing and have a nice big stats.page you can visit, and because it was a good idea for a way to make it so that starting a new character didn't send you back to square one.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I know a lot of people didn't like the writing in borderlands, but I genuinely enjoyed that the tiny Tina dlc was about a literal child using roleplaying games as a method to work through her grief over a friend's death.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I know a lot of people didn't like the writing in borderlands, but I genuinely enjoyed that the tiny Tina dlc was about a literal child using roleplaying games as a method to work through her grief over a friend's death.

The framing devices and world poo poo is often really good in those games, but the writers were really unaware of what was good and what was not and it starts to show about halfway through 2.

They've got a society of immortal weirdos who kill each other on the regular, and they also try to have classically dramatic character death beats where all of a sudden everyone in the plot decides that murder is this big important thing instead of a slap on the wrist.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Screaming Idiot posted:

ALCOHOLISM DESTROYS FAMILIES!

Seriously though I'm not sure how Torgue's voice actor managed to stay on maximum attack mode for however long it took to record all his lines.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I was thinking about the same thing earlier. It was a poignant DLC using ridiculous and broken characters to tell an absurd story. But it worked.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tales also has Loaderbot, and he's the greatest character ever.

"Circumstances analyzed. Engaging disproportionate response mode."

"Why must the universe punish the good?"

I bought him a tuxedo. No regrets.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I liked borderlands a lot when I was playing coop with 3 other buddies and we just tore through pandora making our own stupid in jokes than when I played it solo. Still cant tell you the story despite the amount of hours I've sunk into it but I had fun playing it because "diablo with guns" triggered some kind of primal instinct of wanting to make numbers go up while also shooting things in the face.

Tales from the Borderlands being well written is probably the most pleasant surprise I've had in a game, next to me actually liking Wolfenstein for more than just killing Nazis. The part where Vaughn is shirtless and people just cant stop saying how weird it is that he's totally jacked is hilarious and my favorite part of the second part.