Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I guess I have to rewatch the scene. Makes sense.

Wait, is the wife abused by the father too?

Everybody is smacked by Dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Abusive fathers people rarely limit themselves to one target.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Waffleopolis posted:

Soo....what are the chances season 3's monster has some correlation to a beholder?

Look out guys, it's a flumph!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

When he isn't abusing children Brenner makes a mean tuna sandwich.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Straight White Shark posted:

Yes, his wife is quivering and trembling in mortal terror of his strong good parenting skills.

It's a fantastic scene because it starts out looking like Billy's dad is stepping up and doing the right thing and you're rooting for some sweet justice, but as the scene goes on and you start to gauge the reactions from Billy and his stepmom it gradually dawns on you what you're watching.

Yeah holy poo poo the construction of that scene is incredible. It's especially strong when you remember back to Max's fear of becoming like Billy.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wait, is the wife abused by the father too?

I don't think so. Not yet. Billy's dad still needs to prove to his new wife and family that he loves them. But once familiarity sets in, once little patterns start irritating him, the targets of his abuse are going to slowly shift from Billy alone, to the other members of the new family.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, pretty sure she is. It looks like she is jerking her face like in sympathy with getting smacked around.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Yeah I rewatched the scene. I can definitely see him being an abuser.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I don't think everyone hates season two, it was pretty good for a second season. It just kind of hosed up and stumbled with episode 7.

Every other nail in the board was flush, episode 7 wasn't. So it got hammered

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I wasn't disappointed by season 2 and thought it was better than the first. I need to finish rewatching season 1, might rewatch season 2, then get my thoughts in order though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You know Billy's dad is a bad guy because he said "human being" and smacked him. As bad as Billy was he at least dog whistled his bigotry and didn't physically hurt Max because he's not ready to take that final step, but his dad just straight up went there. Bad guy.

But he probably loves Billy. :can:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
tbh i think an aboleth would be a better metaphor for the shadow monster than a mind flayer

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zeal posted:

tbh i think an aboleth would be a better metaphor for the shadow monster than a mind flayer

That is a good point, but did they exist in '84?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

zeal posted:

Yeah, the only mind flayer in the show is Eleven.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Actually 8 is a better example of a mind flayer than 11.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Unless you know something we don't, it's the best metaphor we have for understanding whatever the hell this is!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd of called it "Geoff." Geoff is a good name for a monster.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Just got caught up, was a good show. I'm ambivalent about Ep. 7 because it was an important character moment for Eleven and it did some good world building, but its placement kneecapped all of the suspense built up in the previous episode. I would have much rather seen it earlier on, with Eleven's vision of everyone in trouble used as a way to ratchet up the tension. Hitchcock's old "show the audience the bomb" thing.

Also, I love Steve. He has less reason to be invested than any of the other characters, but he just keeps on chipping in and giving a poo poo. You go Steve.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iron Crowned posted:

That is a good point, but did they exist in '84?

according to wikipedia, they were introduced in a module that was released in '81

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Former Human posted:

When he isn't abusing children Brenner makes a mean tuna sandwich.

I can't even imagine why MBB would think Brenner was a good guy.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

King Vidiot posted:

I can't even imagine why MBB would think Brenner was a good guy.

Honestly, a really warm, caring guy who also just happens to constantly torture his adopted daughter for science/glory sounds like an interesting premise.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Since season 2 is 1984 and they had the Ghostbusters references, any bets on 1985 using Back to the Future?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Former Human posted:

Since season 2 is 1984 and they had the Ghostbusters references, any bets on 1985 using Back to the Future?

They won't like it because they didn't grow up in the 50's.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Solice Kirsk posted:

But Time Travel! Wait, what if season 3 revolves around time travel!?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Neither did I and I love BttF, and did when it came out even.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Solice Kirsk posted:

Make like a tree and get outta here.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Former Human posted:

I'm still thinking they have to mention the Goonies unless they think that'd be too on the nose. That movie was absolutely massive with kids in the 80's.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I'm still thinking they have to mention the Goonies unless they think that'd be too on the nose. That movie was absolutely massive with kids in the 80's.

The kids will be really into Monster Squad and keep trying to explain why it’s the better of the two.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

business hammocks posted:

The kids will be really into Monster Squad and keep trying to explain why it’s the better of the two.

I actually looked up when Monster Squad came out when I watched S2, and it wasn't until 1986.

In season 4, I hope Deputy Steve kicks a demogorgon in the nards.

I'm sure S3 three will have some zany subplot where Billy becomes aware of the Upside Down stuff and is forced to team up with Lucas.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Lab Director Steve Harrington

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Junkfist posted:

Lab Director Steve Harrington

Little do we know, that's actually what his dad's business is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

They'll complain that it was overloaded with 50s references.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

So what 80s thing looks like the Stranger Things title but isn't one of the Stephen King novel covers it's supposed to be based on?

Coincidence? Quite possibly. But I love it all the same.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

They'll complain that it was overloaded with 50s references.

“So much licensed music! God, oh it’s ‘Mr. Sandman’ like it’s the 50s. We get it!”

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Was Biff a racist? I see no evidence of that.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

You misspelled rapist.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Solice Kirsk posted:

Was Biff a racist? I see no evidence of that.

His gang was, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Former Human posted:

You misspelled rapist.

He's a racist rapist.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's a racist rapist.

A rapcist, if you will.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

And More posted:

Honestly, a really warm, caring guy who also just happens to constantly torture his adopted daughter for science/glory sounds like an interesting premise.

adopted? i was under the impression brenner was the one who knocked up el's mom during her time with mk ultra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Something they haven't really touched upon in this show is the Conservative "Satanic Panic" craze in the 80s where everything dark or weird or offbeat was seen by society as "in league with Satan". It's a surprising omission for such a dark show set in that specific time. D&D in particular was accused of it all the time, and the earliest scenes in the show were the boys playing it - only after which the things they're talking about manifested in reality. Of course it's explained via the lab experiments going too far, but I wonder if there's also an intentional tongue-in-cheek undertone of the show that the kids' "Satanic D&D playing" caused a portal to Hell to open and now evil monsters are pouring out and/or possessing children. Has that idea ever been addressed by the showrunners? I'm almost surprised there isn't a religious character addressing that angle in the show (and probably played by Beth Grant).

• Locked thread