Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It's not even just that - to branch it out further, it's going to mostly be liberals that suffer from this in general.

In cases of liberals like Franken, you have both lberals and conservatives going for his head. In cases of conservatives like Trump, you only have liberals doing the same and they skate by with conservative backing. Franken will be replaced by a democrat, but in other cases, where, again, practically every powerful man has some kind of history of sexual misconduct - what happens when they aren't in situations to be replaced by other liberals?

We have years of Republican politicians doing the same and nothing happening unless it was gay, but now that "liberal" Hollywood is in the target, something is happening because there is a unified front among *everyone*. But there is a reason there is a unified front, and there is a side that sees this as a tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think Franken's statement on it is refreshingly honest given the poo poo we've heard recently.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Stallone too, apparently

(warning: daily mail + gross details)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5081605/Sylvester-Stallone-accused-forcing-teen-threesome.html

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

I think Franken's statement on it is refreshingly honest given the poo poo we've heard recently.
"I certainly don’t remember the rehearsal for the skit in the same way"

How is is this " refreshingly honest"?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'll care about this when it's in a real paper.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't Loren Michaels have a lovely rep like 20 years ago? I've been waiting for the SNL doors to blow wide open with poo poo like this.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Alhazred posted:

Maybe he doesn't? But he does say that what he remembers and what his intentions were certainly don't matter in how that woman was made to feel. Would I nix that one sentence from his statement? Probably I would yes, but it reads like an actual statement and not something prepared by a lawyer.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rocky had sexual misconduct in it, so that would be like the least surprising thing ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Frankin's response is not what I expected

quote:

The first thing I want to do is apologize: to Leeann, to everyone else who was part of that tour, to everyone who has worked for me, to everyone I represent, and to everyone who counts on me to be an ally and supporter and champion of women. There's more I want to say, but the first and most important thing—and if it's the only thing you care to hear, that's fine—is: I'm sorry.

I respect women. I don't respect men who don't. And the fact that my own actions have given people a good reason to doubt that makes me feel ashamed.

But I want to say something else, too. Over the last few months, all of us—including and especially men who respect women—have been forced to take a good, hard look at our own actions and think (perhaps, shamefully, for the first time) about how those actions have affected women.

For instance, that picture. I don't know what was in my head when I took that picture, and it doesn't matter. There's no excuse. I look at it now and I feel disgusted with myself. It isn't funny. It's completely inappropriate. It's obvious how Leeann would feel violated by that picture. And, what's more, I can see how millions of other women would feel violated by it—women who have had similar experiences in their own lives, women who fear having those experiences, women who look up to me, women who have counted on me.

Coming from the world of comedy, I've told and written a lot of jokes that I once thought were funny but later came to realize were just plain offensive. But the intentions behind my actions aren't the point at all. It's the impact these jokes had on others that matters. And I'm sorry it's taken me so long to come to terms with that.

While I don't remember the rehearsal for the skit as Leeann does, I understand why we need to listen to and believe women’s experiences.

I am asking that an ethics investigation be undertaken, and I will gladly cooperate.

And the truth is, what people think of me in light of this is far less important than what people think of women who continue to come forward to tell their stories. They deserve to be heard, and believed. And they deserve to know that I am their ally and supporter. I have let them down and am committed to making it up to them.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Ethics Investigation might just be to buy time while they arrange him resigning without giving the Republicans a free shot at whatever insane legislation of the week is happening. Or not. This really sucks, I was hoping he'd run for president, but now I just want him to resign.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I expect poo poo like this to come out for most 80s action stars

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Apparently the woman says she accepts his apology and doesn't think he should step down unless others come forward. I disagree personally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm pretty torn on this one too.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Believe women.

There's no denying that the photo is lovely. The only way it would be remotely ok is if it were posed, but even then it's still stupid, dumb, and insensitve. And if it were posed ("Hey, why don't you pretend to be asleep while I pretend to grab your boobs for a goof?") Franken would have said so in his statement.

It's REALLY lovely timing, because it's almost certainly going to distract from Roy Moore AND we need as many Dems in the Senate as possible right now, but I don't think it's the huge conspiracy Reddit it trying to make it out to be. I don't want to, at least.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 16, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Apparently the woman says she accepts his apology and doesn't think he should step down unless others come forward. I disagree personally.

Link?

As a personal request could y'all link stuff when you find it?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

That is a really solid apology, it doesn't change what happened. But, looking at all the other statements that have come from the accused, that is the first one that is actually an apology and sounds from the heart. I was also somebody was hoping that he would run for president very soon, but this changes that.

MacheteZombie posted:

Also, this.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Because most men don't remember or realize the way they have wronged women and if we understand our perspective or intent doesn't really matter, women would be better off for it.

Similar to how the most important part of CK's (for men) was where he said his relative position is what made it wrong even though he didn't realize it at the time.

These are the parts that *men* need to read and take in.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MacheteZombie posted:

Link?

She interviewed on MSNBC a half hour ago

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://twitter.com/MPRnews/status/931232695694307329

Looking for video of the presser as well.

e:

Article with quote: http://www.businessinsider.com/leeann-tweeden-al-franken-allegations-sexual-misconduct-2017-11

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 16, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I guess it won't happen but it would be pretty funny to live in a world where Franken steps down and Moore wins in a landslide.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

porfiria posted:

I guess it won't happen but it would be pretty funny to live in a world where Franken steps down and Moore wins in a landslide.

The pessimist in me thinks this will happen.

e

https://twitter.com/AlxThomp/status/931262111979782144

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 16, 2017

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

dont even fink about it posted:

I'll care about this when it's in a real paper.

I guess the police report is a fake?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Speaking of linking, I mentioned this ruling in another thread and was asked for a link but I'm posting it here to avoid further derailing the original thread.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-people-cosby/u-s-appeals-court-rejects-cosby-accusers-bid-to-revive-defamation-suit-idUKKBN1CN36J

"The decision found that McKee had made herself a public figure by wading into the controversy with Cosby, rejecting her claim that her dispute with the entertainer was a private one. As a public figure, McKee would have to prove that Cosby acted with malice in his response."

It's a 1st circuit ruling so it is only binding to the lower courts in the extreme NE of the country, but it's going to be viewed and argued as precedent throughout the country.

Its effectively giving defense teams carte blanche to smear accusers since malice is almost impossible to prove in a civil trial.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
This country deserves to burn (more than it already does) if Al Franken remains in office and Roy Moore gets elected. It would simply be irredeemable.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

zandert33 posted:

I guess the police report is a fake?

I really just don't want to read Daily Mail's mentally ill formatting style or give them clicks, and if there's any credibility to anything in the Mail, it will show up in a paper worth reading, which this did. People should stop linking Daily Mail poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I don't want to start some stupid "slippery slope of forgiveness", but I think it's probably okay to let Franken voluntarily resign or not, unless more people step forward.

edit: Actually, what he did sounds worse than I thought. I'm not sure now.

precision fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 17, 2017

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

precision posted:

I don't want to start some stupid "slippery slope of forgiveness", but I think it's probably okay to let Franken voluntarily resign or not, unless more people step forward.

edit: Actually, what he did sounds worse than I thought. I'm not sure now.

Someone who abuses their position of power like that almost certainly has more than one victim. People argued that the US should've stopped trying to arrest Roman Polanski, because his victim just wanted to drop things, but then it turned out that there were probably more victims. A person doesn't stop being a danger to society because their victims forgave them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, I'm just hoping that Franken steps down of his own accord. It'd be a good thing.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another person has come forward accusing Jeffrey Tambor.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Rhyno posted:

It just feels weird that this comes out on the eve of her continued massive success as a female empowerment icon.

Holy poo poo dude, log off the loving internet

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Apparently the writing staff of Transparent are considering writing him out, which is insane. Just end the show.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

This is so goddamn creepy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

well why not posted:

Apparently the writing staff of Transparent are considering writing him out, which is insane. Just end the show.

I've never watched the show but the argument against doing this is that then everyone on the show is out of a job because of Jeffrey Tambor. In her letter in that article, Trace Lysette says that she hopes the show isn't cancelled over it.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 17, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's unfortunate but there's simply no way to continue the show without Tambor. This is part of the issue when it comes to show business, the star of the show is crucial to the ongoing employment of a ton of other people, and that of course ends up being a huge factor when it comes to victims' decision to come forward or not.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It's also depressing because Transparent has been such a positive representation for an often overlooked and underconsidered community. Tambor's actions are disgusting enough, but when you take into account that both of his victims have been trans, it's even more enraging. Like, if Transparent isn't a safe place for trans artists to create and perform, where is? There's just layers of awful to the whole thing.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

viral spiral posted:

This country deserves to burn (more than it already does) if Al Franken remains in office and Roy Moore gets elected. It would simply be irredeemable.

We dove into a pool of kerosene when we elected Trump.

We're going to see more stories about old/older actors, directors and producers and poo poo they did in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Things are terrible now but imagine what poo poo show it probably was back then.

Don't turn out to be a monster, Scorsese. :ohdear:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cash Monet posted:

We're going to see more stories about old/older actors, directors and producers and poo poo they did in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Things are terrible now but imagine what poo poo show it probably was back then.

Basically all of them are going to get their turn. Seriously, read almost any autobiography of any kind of popular figure in the mid-20th century. A ton of poo poo that simply would never fly today.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cash Monet posted:

Another one that I'm trying to prepare myself for is the possibility that while on a coke binge, Robin WIlliams did something horrible and we just haven't heard about it yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cash Monet posted:

Wouldn't really effect me, I've always had a hard time separating the man from this bit part he played(and wrote) in Taxi Driver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_szlzh9Dgrw

Totally unfair on my part to judge him for that alone, but I'm just describing the connection that was made in my brain between the character and the real person that I've had a hard time shaking over the years, it's not something I really can control. I know for myself that in a million years I could never come up with dialogue that disgusting, it's just not in me.

Every time I've seen him interviewed about film in the past 30 years though he comes across as extremely nice and engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I do really wish we could shy away from extrapolating which artists we think are predators based on the art they made (Larry Clark notwithstanding)