Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

didn't you know? every time you update your iphone it become half as fast as the previous update. enough updates and you won't be able to use it at all which is how crapple forces you to buy a new phone. i saw this on fox news so it must be true

it amazes me how many people actually believe “planned obsolescence” and that Apple internationally slows down your phone to make you buy a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
people ask me all the time how to downgrade iOS because They Hate the new one.

when I tell them they can’t because they’ll deliberately be putting tons of vulns on their device the universal response is ‘ugh stop scaring me with your nerd poo poo I’ll be fine’.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

it amazes me how many people actually believe “planned obsolescence” and that Apple internationally slows down your phone to make you buy a new one.

yeah its incompetence, not malice

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

didn't you know? every time you update your iphone it become half as fast as the previous update. enough updates and you won't be able to use it at all which is how crapple forces you to buy a new phone. i saw this on fox news so it must be true

what shagger literally believes lol

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

The Management posted:

It amazes me that people still deny it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

what shagger literally believes lol

i thought it was blue stymie who had the meltdown over updates breaking phones and demanded to be able to downgrade the baseband firmware or apple had to backport all sec fixes to every previous version of ios in perpetuity

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I would rather have a phone that works than ios 7+

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Endless Mike posted:

a friend who works at IBM believes this, and he told me not to upgrade my phone to the new iOS

I just don’t know what to believe anymore

Edit: he says new update broke his iPad and he has to send it to Apple to fix

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

a friend who works at IBM believes this, and he told me not to upgrade my phone to the new iOS

I just don’t know what to believe anymore

Edit: he says new update broke his iPad and he has to send it to Apple to fix

i dont understand what the confusion is. both working at ibm and believing that are signs that hes an idiot

pram
Jun 10, 2001
working at ibm must be a constant existential crisis

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pram posted:

i recently tried to research their bi tools and that was basically identity-crisis.html

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

"natural" scrolling: tragic mac fad

given your tastes in avatars I'm not surprised you aren't into the natural

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

bi ... basically identity-crisis.html

yup, checks out

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i saw a "study" that "proved" apple's sinister agenda by looking at google trends for "iphone slow" and noting it peaks every time a new iOS comes out (and then returns to the same baseline as before within a couple days)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if anyone cared you could easily do direct comparisons of boot times, load times, and ui interactions between every major update on the same hardware.

i suspect you could also fairly trivially determine what is causing any differences in responsiveness.

also, doesn't ios end up re-indexing content after major upgrades? meaning performance is noticeably worse immediately after an upgrade, and then returns to normal after a couple days?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yes thats what I was getting at

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
friend is still on ios 10 but this is handy coz I use they phone for spotify and ios11 is far slower to open if youre not using touchid

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
major release tends to have some performance bugs that get addressed in point releases. and they are usually felt more on older devices.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
iOS started being bad right after they got rid of Skeuomorphism.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
iOS 7 was bad for multiple reasons. but they’ve walked most of those back or fixed them.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

iOS started being bad right after they got rid of Skeuomorphism.

i miss ios6 :(

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
the ios skeuomorphism of yore only reminds me of the godawful stock podcasts app. can't believe i put up with it as long as i did

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol podcasts

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pram posted:

depends on where, really

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

carry on then posted:

depends on where, really

I'd imagine it's usually in the soul-shaped hole they gouge out of you at new employee orientation?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Schadenboner posted:

I'd imagine it's usually in the soul-shaped hole they gouge out of you at new employee orientation?

that would be the consulting division

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Kenny Logins posted:

the ios skeuomorphism of yore only reminds me of the godawful stock podcasts app. can't believe i put up with it as long as i did

this was really stupid. but the stark, sharp, thin font, blurry layers of ios7 was garbage. it’s taken a long time to tone it down to a pleasant interface again.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

this was really stupid. but the stark, sharp, thin font, blurry layers of ios7 was garbage. it’s taken a long time to tone it down to a pleasant interface again.

I find ios11 to be way too much on the side of "plain black text on plain white fields" and it's p boring tbh

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cis autodrag posted:

I find ios11 to be way too much on the side of "plain black text on plain white fields" and it's p boring tbh

god yes. honestly ios 6 outside of the skeuomorphic stuff was my favorite look. visually interesting without being distracting.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The Management posted:

i remember being quite excited for the big ios7 overhaul but you look at screenshots and it hasn't really aged particularly well ngl. it's been moderated quite nicely, although there is still too much loving white in every app

cis autodrag posted:

i really don't like the music app/podcasts app now playing screen and i can't really articulate why, but it's probably something to do with this. am i the only person who actually quite liked itunes/music app taking on the dominant colour of the art of the currently selected album? it hosed up a fair bit but it did look nice, and i never had any trouble reading it.

hmmm it's either the whiteness or that the bouncy animation on the now playing screen feels ever so slightly laggy on my iphone 6. gently caress knows

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 16, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

god yes. honestly ios 6 outside of the skeuomorphic stuff was my favorite look. visually interesting without being distracting.

it's really loving ugly if you actually look at it today

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

it's really loving ugly if you actually look at it today
but enough about your mirror

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I miss the old safari and settings icons

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So my 6 is dying (screen is dead and it's like 2 years old), seriYOSPOSt: is the 8 a good phone to get or is it a piece of poo poo?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Both of these look fine.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

So my 6 is dying (screen is dead and it's like 2 years old), seriYOSPOSt: is the 8 a good phone to get or is it a piece of poo poo?

it's p much the X internally

so if you want to keep touchid and don't care about a slightly less good camera get the 8
if you want to keep touchid and want the same camera as the X, get the 8 hugephone

i like my 8 :shobon:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

how could it not be good

its a 7 but faster

which is a 6 without a button

that curved edge though is a crack waiting to happen

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

I miss the apple maps icon telling you to jump off a bridge because apple maps is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

it's p much the X internally

so if you want to keep touchid and don't care about a slightly less good camera get the 8
if you want to keep touchid and want the same camera as the X, get the 8 hugephone

i like my 8 :shobon:

I never use touch ID, does PIN still work?