Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

skasion posted:

Nah, the CK2-style “this is what your nation is like” popup. It’s neat.

Just started a new campaign and yeah, the screen is pretty neat. For Yemen it gives a nice brief of your situation and history and like some other strategy games, it more or less gives you a hint of where it might be wise to expand first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
One of the features I best liked in Europa Barbarorum was the this year in history popups. Yearly wouldn't be right in EU4 but maybe century or half century events with a brief rundown of what your nation was up to at that time would be cool, so you could compare how your world is unfolding against reality, which is always one of the coolest bits of map games imho.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I gave the Timurids a couple of hours before work. I don't have anything much to say about this expansion so far, there's no sea-changes but a lot of neat little things. The opening dynamic for Timurids is certainly different. I kind of miss the old scramble into northern India to form Mughals ASAP or else: right now it feels like a much more dysfunctional take on Ottomans or France, where you're clearly the biggest dog surrounded by a bunch of minors you're naturally supposed to eat, but can definitely get in trouble nonetheless. Once you lose your starting monarch the situation can get dicey, I had to develop vassals quite a bit just to keep them from sitting out my wars for my western cores.

The new Muslim mechanics are reasonably fun, nothing mind-blowing. The trade policies seem like they might be pretty useful depending on situation.

Army drilling seems to take a long time (=lot of money) and wear off really quickly. Might be better with financial situation less mediocre than the Timurids start with, but I'm not super impressed with it so far.

Army professionalism seems really slow to build. Probably that is working as intended but it means I won't have a very clear impression of it and the associated mechanics for a while.

Haven't noticed Ming sphering anything ridiculously far away in this patch yet.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There's too many fun new nations to try and I'm paralysed by choice.

E: in case anyone else cares as much as I do about this sort of thing:

Rum can take the "City of the World's Desire" decision but otherwise doesn't get any cool freebies aka events or decisions.

Persia can't be formed by a tribe meaning that the Sheep can't form Persia without changing government type, even though AQQ has a special exception to allow then to form Persia while being the wrong culture.

Most of the Persia flavour events still require you to be Shia.

Hisn Kayfa gets 2 unique missions to conquer some land.

Forming Mughals now only requires 200 development.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 17, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Pharnakes posted:

One of the features I best liked in Europa Barbarorum was the this year in history popups. Yearly wouldn't be right in EU4 but maybe century or half century events with a brief rundown of what your nation was up to at that time would be cool, so you could compare how your world is unfolding against reality, which is always one of the coolest bits of map games imho.

isn't that the idea with ages and things like the league war

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Groogy posted:

e: though seriously I think bunch of them are on sale on our paradoxplaza store

Well then, no real criticism, but you have no control over steam putting them on sale as well, it's just that most people would look there first, or am I wrong ?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Earwicker posted:

are there any statements or plans or even rumors regarding an EU5 or for that matter a CK3 or a Victoria 3?

seems like all of these series* have just turned into endless DLC, I don't see anything new on the Paradox website or forums

*not Victoria I guess that one's just dead

They're officially 'wrapping up CK2', but they've been doing that... for a while now, and it might mean we've got one more dlc incoming or 3-4? I found an interview just now saying Conclave would be the last major dlc. :lol: I think CKIIs lead dev has said he's got some 'cool ideas' for CK3 that they couldn't do with CK2.... But yeah, I wouldn't expect it for some years, I imagine they'll take a break and do something else like V3 or Rome 2 before returning to CK.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

skipThings posted:

Well then, no real criticism, but you have no control over steam putting them on sale as well, it's just that most people would look there first, or am I wrong ?

They're all on sale on Steam now too

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

tombom posted:

They're all on sale on Steam now too

They are! Groogy must have listened to my childish whining and pressed the button

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m trying the Mamluks for the first time ever. So their government guarantees a randomized, low-legitimacy ruler each time? How do I get out of it?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I must have missed this, how exactly does Common Sense let you get institutions at will?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

vyelkin posted:

I must have missed this, how exactly does Common Sense let you get institutions at will?

Developing provinces is still a paid feature afaik

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jay Rust posted:

I’m trying the Mamluks for the first time ever. So their government guarantees a randomized, low-legitimacy ruler each time? How do I get out of it?
Isn't the choice between low-legitimacy rulers with majority culture support, and high-legitimacy rulers with little-to-no cultural support?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dunno, my dude just died and I got some random 20-year-old with 20 legitimacy. No room for consorts or heirs on the ruler screen that I can see.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Fintilgin posted:

They're officially 'wrapping up CK2', but they've been doing that... for a while now, and it might mean we've got one more dlc incoming or 3-4? I found an interview just now saying Conclave would be the last major dlc. :lol: I think CKIIs lead dev has said he's got some 'cool ideas' for CK3 that they couldn't do with CK2.... But yeah, I wouldn't expect it for some years, I imagine they'll take a break and do something else like V3 or Rome 2 before returning to CK.

How do people think a Rome 2 would play out with how far they've come with other game series'?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

would be nice to get the orthodox benefits of third rome without also giving russia an ungodly portal to the land of neverending soldiers

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

unbutthurtable posted:

How do people think a Rome 2 would play out with how far they've come with other game series'?

Great.

Hard to go wrong with the period. I still think they should probably just reboot the title of that too. Rome 2 could get confused with another major game, Europa Universalis Rome is just... bad.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I envisage a classical antiquity paradox game as some kind of hybrid between EU and CK systems. Done properly it could be superb, but EU:R and Sengoku, well...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fintilgin posted:

Hard to go wrong with the period. I still think they should probably just reboot the title of that too. Rome 2 could get confused with another major game, Europa Universalis Rome is just... bad.
Since they already used March of the Eagles, Daqin is the only option left.

Pharnakes posted:

I envisage a classical antiquity paradox game as some kind of hybrid between EU and CK systems. Done properly it could be superb, but EU:R and Sengoku, well...
CK and Victoria, clearly. Gladiators would be a pop type.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Had something weird but useful happen while I was playing Timurids with the DLC. I was able to instantly annex my starting vassals without losing DIP points and then got to integrate other vassals normally. First I absorbed Transoxiana for free, then I had to do Afghanistan and Sistan over time like normal, then I got Fars and Khorasan for free. Is this working as intended, are there some special events for this in the new DLC? If so I haven't seen them pop up when I've annexed my vassals.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Do the Tims start with cores on the provinces owned by Transoxiana, Fars and Khorasan? If memory serves you don't pay points or time to integrate provinces you already have cores on.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, it’s that (Afghanistan you only need to core a couple of provinces, but it still takes time). The difficulty is in keeping Shah Rukh alive till 1454 so you can eat Transoxania before they throw an endless tantrum.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is there any way to calm down a rebellious vassal/colony once i reaches 100% liberty desire? I crossed the line due to having a new dynasty come to power (three heirs died on me, the Habsburg one literally one day after being born!), but since no on is supporting them due to everyne currently murdering each other over succession wars. Developing them or decreasing tariffs does nothing, and I can't declare war pre-emptively. Do I just sit here forever with a disloyal colony?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Sephyr posted:

Is there any way to calm down a rebellious vassal/colony once i reaches 100% liberty desire? I crossed the line due to having a new dynasty come to power (three heirs died on me, the Habsburg one literally one day after being born!), but since no on is supporting them due to everyne currently murdering each other over succession wars. Developing them or decreasing tariffs does nothing, and I can't declare war pre-emptively. Do I just sit here forever with a disloyal colony?

Under the subjects menu, what's causing their liberty desire to be so high? Do they have a stronger military than you, better diplo tech?

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

I love it when someone shits out a map screenshot without any context or explanation.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm assuming it's mega Lithuania in 9 years?

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I kinda thought the mouse-over and text log was enough, but maybe the burgundy inheritance going extremely weird is more common then I believe?

Edit: I think they usually have their diplo slots filled so getting a marriage would seem pretty rare

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity
I started up a game as the Ottomans with the new dlc and the first thing I did was to hire an orthodox inquisitor to help me get rid of all the orthodox

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Makes perfect sense if you ask me.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Rassids is a much more awkward start than I was expecting, forming Yemen is easy but the Somalis keep allying everyone I want to declare on and I'm way too poor to afford a navy so I can't actually go fight them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty sure that shot is just about Milan sniping the Burgundian Inheritance event.

Pharnakes posted:

I'm assuming it's mega Lithuania in 9 years?

That's regular Lithuania (and they actually look to be having a rough time).

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvHhBsUpVCk

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm not really a fan of how the Islamic schools mechanic works. Having your school based on your starting nation is fine, but the 'invite school' option might as well just be blanked out unless you have vassals or you're in the earlier part of the game when you can actually have allies that stick around for a while. And there's far too many schools which can get wiped off the map before you even get a chance to use them.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

does zoroastrianism still exist somewhere in the new patch

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Now that Cradle of Civilization has dropped, I kind of want to play this because everyone else says this game is fun. I have all of the DLC. However, here is my experience playing Europa Universalis 4: I play the tutorial, and am still confused as hell, then stop playing, and eventually uninstall. This has happened twice now over many years.

So for someone that wants to play this, but has been through the tutorial twice and still has no idea what is going on, is there a Youtube series or something that teaches morons how to play and enjoy this game?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm currently playing Brandenburg and the Religious War is exploding all around me. I'm just sat in the middle of the apocalypse, at war with nobody, planning my next move to snipe a province from my neighbours.

It kind of feels like cheating to be this weird island of chill while Europe evaporates.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well that's what real life Brandenburg tried to do. It did not go well.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Arsonide posted:

Now that Cradle of Civilization has dropped, I kind of want to play this because everyone else says this game is fun. I have all of the DLC. However, here is my experience playing Europa Universalis 4: I play the tutorial, and am still confused as hell, then stop playing, and eventually uninstall. This has happened twice now over many years.

So for someone that wants to play this, but has been through the tutorial twice and still has no idea what is going on, is there a Youtube series or something that teaches morons how to play and enjoy this game?

Yeah linked in the op https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DesDCb2WU

arumba is good. dunno if this particular series with filthyrobot is good but maybe its worth a watch. just watch him do a campaign you'll figure out most of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How do I find out when an army will arrive at its destination a few provinces away? Before, you could mouse over the tiny arrow towards the top of the unit info screen, but it looks like they removed that tooltip. Where did it go?