Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Iron Crowned posted:

Now I want a car that sounds like a TIE Fighter :allears:
This would be excellent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My Camry Hybrid is completely silent when it's on battery.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Just make it sound like a fart. It'll give "tearin rear end down the highway" an all new meaning.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Grassy Knowles posted:

As a pedestrian and cyclist, no.

Yeah I'm a cyclist too, I meant the interior noises they're pooping into the cabin, not the exterior (which is mostly tire noise anyway).

E: meant to type piping but :itwaspoo:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Me! posted:

I can't remember when it stopped happening, but I remember incoming cell phone calls would cause a lot of computer speakers to go haywire with these loud, buzzing beep noises. Some sort of interference I guess?

That's your 3g signal. I remember CMDA not having that problem.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Grassy Knowles posted:

As a pedestrian and cyclist, no.

As a pedestrian, tyres will not be silent any time in the near future.

I wish engines would be, though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Electric motorcycles already sound like TIE Fighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlxZs2-gICc&t=60s

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do know that Harley Davidson motorcycles have a thing in them to make them extra loud. So once they go out of business in a few years once the boomers are too old to drive, the streets should be much quieter. :)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inco posted:

Just make it sound like a fart. It'll give "tearin rear end down the highway" an all new meaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieJUP9O9RG8

Collateral Damage posted:

Electric motorcycles already sound like TIE Fighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlxZs2-gICc&t=60s

That was insane on my laptop playing full screen. This is kind of video I would want to see in 3D.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Nov 16, 2017

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Iron Crowned posted:

My second car was a lovely renault Clio with a dodgy gearbox and no third gear.. but in second it sounded exactly like a TIE when you put your foot down.

Horrible car. And I used to regularly have to drive London-Aberdeen (c600 miles) in it. The whine was fun in short bursts, but after a while it was like nails down the blackboard of my soul.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwbxqPuzmBE

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I woulda killed for this as a kid, also I bet you could hack it to make your car sound like a tie fighter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGraodpVQu4

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Pokey Araya posted:

I woulda killed for this as a kid, also I bet you could hack it to make your car sound like a tie fighter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGraodpVQu4

That is amazing. I want a system like that for when I'm walking to work, so it speeds up when I run to make a light.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I concur, but it has to be this or this

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Nah, it went away with 3G - it was regular old GSM that had this problem. Takkata takkata takkata takkata WRAAAAA

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Capn Jobe posted:

In college I lived in a number of small rooms, which meant my computer and guitar amplifier were in close proximity. drat near anything wireless would produce a distinct tone from the amp if it was turned on. My favorite was the scroll wheel on my mouse producing noticeably different tones when scrolling up or down.

Probably could have made a whole song out of it.
At Jimi Hendrix' Isle of Wight gig the walkie-talkies security used interfered with his amps so the chatter was played through them.

The clicking and noise through speakers I've experienced many times. Usually on old motherboard sound cards. I think the graphics card itself interfered with the horribly-shielded sound circuits.

But recently I had the same problem in VirtualBox - Windows 7 would make the same sound when playing audio, if the virtual CPU maxed out AND there was network activity. Annoying.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I concur, but it has to be this or this
I've always liked this myself.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Nah, it went away with 3G - it was regular old GSM that had this problem. Takkata takkata takkata takkata WRAAAAA

GSM in 2G mode.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

JazzmasterCurious posted:

At Jimi Hendrix' Isle of Wight gig the walkie-talkies security used interfered with his amps so the chatter was played through them.

As recreated in Spinal Tap.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's ridiculously faint and highpitched, so I doubt it's intentional.

I also get some crosstalk from my LCD monitor too, so I think its just a design flaw.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Analog and then a bit into 3G. It was a GSM thing, and I loved it. It would "bup-bup-bup... bup-bup-bup..." like 5 seconds before a phone call. In Japan, and on sites like ThinkGeek, they even sold cellphone charms that would spin to let you know a call was coming in:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IKRARG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1mlponX_jw

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tunicate posted:

It's ridiculously faint and highpitched, so I doubt it's intentional.

I also get some crosstalk from my LCD monitor too, so I think its just a design flaw.

I want to say I'm an "audiophile," but not in the sense that I care about Monster cables and such. I just have a poo poo-ton of headphones and amps and PSB speakers I've recovered from the trash or goodwill etc etc, but I don't care if I also have to listen using a tablet's built-in speakers, and I don't "set up a room" for audio. More of just a speaker gadget junkie, if that makes sense. Anyway, I have a set of STAX SR-307 earspeakers. They look like this:

When my ex's kids would play on their Amazon Fire tablets, whenever there was a screen draw/refresh using touch input, I could hear a high-pitched whine from the earspeakers. Playing Youtube? Fine. Watching Plex? Fine. Touch input with no visual cue (like touching the background of the homepage with no icons)? Fine. But when there was a touch combined with a visual refresh, like a pointer or something moving on the screen, I could hear a "bweeeeeEEEEEeeeeee~" as their finger moved around. I could hear the touch motions

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Detective No. 27 posted:

I do know that Harley Davidson motorcycles have a thing in them to make them extra loud.

:thejoke:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I want to say I'm an "audiophile," but not in the sense that I care about Monster cables and such. I just have a poo poo-ton of headphones and amps and PSB speakers I've recovered from the trash or goodwill etc etc, but I don't care if I also have to listen using a tablet's built-in speakers, and I don't "set up a room" for audio. More of just a speaker gadget junkie, if that makes sense. Anyway, I have a set of STAX SR-307 earspeakers. They look like this:

When my ex's kids would play on their Amazon Fire tablets, whenever there was a screen draw/refresh using touch input, I could hear a high-pitched whine from the earspeakers. Playing Youtube? Fine. Watching Plex? Fine. Touch input with no visual cue (like touching the background of the homepage with no icons)? Fine. But when there was a touch combined with a visual refresh, like a pointer or something moving on the screen, I could hear a "bweeeeeEEEEEeeeeee~" as their finger moved around. I could hear the touch motions

This is amazing in every way.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

My car has a really satisfying backfire sound when I’m in Sport + mode and you engine break (neither of which is actually happening). It’s fun and stupid.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Vanagoon posted:

They need to offer an SSD with a little speaker on it that goes clickety clickety like an old mechanical HDD so you can tell if the computer is working without even looking at it.

Something in my work laptop (I think it's the SSD) does a remarkably good impression of hard disk noise (it's sort of like rapidly changing coil whine). Probably more of a flaw than a feature.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

When I watched that awful Kevin James/James Vaughn movie, I thought the premise was ludicrous. People really care how their car sounds? What are they, 12?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Go back to sleep grandpa, we'll tell you when dinner is ready.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

TerryLennox posted:

When I watched that awful Kevin James/James Vaughn movie, I thought the premise was ludicrous. People really care how their car sounds? What are they, 12?

I dunno, there's a certain pleasure at hitting the gas, jumping the ravine, and playing Dixie on your car horn.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Analog and then a bit into 3G. It was a GSM thing, and I loved it. It would "bup-bup-bup... bup-bup-bup..." like 5 seconds before a phone call.

I think it was gta4 that recreated this perfectly when you were driving a car with the radio on and got a call.

my amp picked up my scroll wheel too. it was like a theramin

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

TerryLennox posted:

LOL if you care how your car looks.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

LOL if you own a car.

(Big city lyfe)

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Back in my day if we wanted our cars to make cool sounds we just drilled a bunch of holes in the airbox.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Proteus Jones posted:

Go back to sleep grandpa, we'll tell you when dinner is ready.

Actually we'll just use a device that makes it sound like we're preparing dinner.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Actually we'll just use a device that makes it sound like we're preparing dinner.

While we shake up some Soylent for grandpa, because this IS the future you know.

And no one likes him.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hey I love the sound of a motor starting.

https://youtu.be/pdSKT_8OfKg

(I am a little concerned about the current imbalance they might want to do some additional tests in case there is a problem with the windings... :ohdear:)

Three-Phase has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Nov 18, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Horace posted:

Back in my day if we wanted our cars to make cool sounds we just drilled a bunch of holes in the airbox.

I stick baseball cards in the spokes

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
It’s dat WOOO WHOOOOO

https://youtu.be/JZD-ADArwXo

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Bubb Rubb an Lil Sis - Ghetto Hooptie Woo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXzSZVgQwts