Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well to be fair, an F series truck is going to be ten times safer than a death trap Kei truck, just saying man. Good luck trying to market them for anything other than driving off of public roads.

Ten times safer, ten times more comfortable, ten times more powerful, worth ten times as much.

Kei trucks are neat, I may buy one for my farm, but I don't want them on my public roads around here when all the ones I drove around in the AF had trouble getting to 50mph on flat ground. Too many hills and single lane roads around here.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Are drivers over there really that bad that you have to buy essentially a tank in order to survive the commute to work?

It's a scale thing. Look at the contemporary Ford taurus, a midsize car. It's as big as a 15 year old minivan. When I drive my MR2 I definitely notice how big modern cars have gotten, trucks are thereabouts the same size they've always been (barring some bodywork swelling).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Ten times safer, ten times more comfortable, ten times more powerful, worth ten times as much.

Kei trucks are neat, I may buy one for my farm, but I don't want them on my public roads around here when all the ones I drove around in the AF had trouble getting to 50mph on flat ground. Too many hills and single lane roads around here.

It's a scale thing. Look at the contemporary Ford taurus, a midsize car. It's as big as a 15 year old minivan. When I drive my MR2 I definitely notice how big modern cars have gotten, trucks are thereabouts the same size they've always been (barring some bodywork swelling).

I get the hills thing but trouble getting to 50 mph? The little tiny 83 Hijet with a 2cyl and a 4 speed easily gets to 55 mph where it screams at me with its speed alarm. My 1990 will go all the way to 80 if you'd like, 5 speed and 8500 redline will do it. The 83 Acty is the same as well.
If I wanted to 'keep things off of ~my~ roads' under the guise of safety I'd start with every old person, every motorcycle and moped (v. unsafe vs an F150) and especially any driver who has lifted their truck. And every Caliper. And every one of those 1990s-2000s era F150 that were horribly unsafe that would crush the passenger cabin in front impacts.
The reason kei vehicles are illegal before 25 years is because Mercedes convinced the US to impose the import rule so they didn't have to compete against themselves and sell $$$ cars within the US. Safety is not it.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

KakerMix posted:

I get the hills thing but trouble getting to 50 mph? The little tiny 83 Hijet with a 2cyl and a 4 speed easily gets to 55 mph where it screams at me with its speed alarm. My 1990 will go all the way to 80 if you'd like, 5 speed and 8500 redline will do it. The 83 Acty is the same as well.
If I wanted to 'keep things off of ~my~ roads' under the guise of safety I'd start with every old person, every motorcycle and moped (v. unsafe vs an F150) and especially any driver who has lifted their truck. And every Caliper. And every one of those 1990s-2000s era F150 that were horribly unsafe that would crush the passenger cabin in front impacts.
The reason kei vehicles are illegal before 25 years is because Mercedes convinced the US to impose the import rule so they didn't have to compete against themselves and sell $$$ cars within the US. Safety is not it.

I mean I get that, and I'm behind you with all the other garbage on the road. But adding a bunch of questionably maintained scooter-cars to the mix isn't going to help anything. I personally don't give a gently caress about their safety, I just care about people impeding my travels. I'm sure in favorable conditions some of the better kei's do 80, but they ain't going to be doing that around here.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I mean I get that, and I'm behind you with all the other garbage on the road. But adding a bunch of questionably maintained scooter-cars to the mix isn't going to help anything. I personally don't give a gently caress about their safety, I just care about people impeding my travels. I'm sure in favorable conditions some of the better kei's do 80, but they ain't going to be doing that around here.

:psyduck:
I take more issue with the authoritative claim of 'your' roads and the assumption about the maintenance record of these things than anything else, which is why I responded the way I did. You can't use safety because a brand new car is (usually) vastly more safe than the same car 10 years oder. You can't use size because motorcycles exist. Power is right-out because they are capable of going plenty fast to pass the minimum speed on interstates (if you are insane enough to take these there, I don't but people can do what they'd like) and are def. faster than mopeds. You also can't use assumed-maintenance because for everyone 1 kei vehicle that hasn't been maintained there are 500 Crown Vics that haven't. Heck I'd even argue that there is a good chance that your kei vehicle is going to be better maintained that most domestic vehicles 10 years newer simply because of the standards imposed on them in Japan and that they can't even get on a boat to leave if they are leaking anything.
Point is I want to drive things that I never got and 'your' roads are also 'my' roads.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

KakerMix posted:

:psyduck:
I take more issue with the authoritative claim of 'your' roads and the assumption about the maintenance record of these things than anything else, which is why I responded the way I did. You can't use safety because a brand new car is (usually) vastly more safe than the same car 10 years oder. You can't use size because motorcycles exist. Power is right-out because they are capable of going plenty fast to pass the minimum speed on interstates (if you are insane enough to take these there, I don't but people can do what they'd like) and are def. faster than mopeds. You also can't use assumed-maintenance because for everyone 1 kei vehicle that hasn't been maintained there are 500 Crown Vics that haven't. Heck I'd even argue that there is a good chance that your kei vehicle is going to be better maintained that most domestic vehicles 10 years newer simply because of the standards imposed on them in Japan and that they can't even get on a boat to leave if they are leaking anything.
Point is I want to drive things that I never got and 'your' roads are also 'my' roads.

I agree, when you're on the road they are your roads, and when I am on them they are my roads. My rights end where yours begin and vice versa? If I am stuck behind one of these gimmicks doing 10 under chugging up MY road at 2700' elevation, I'm now infringed upon.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I agree, when you're on the road they are your roads, and when I am on them they are my roads. My rights end where yours begin and vice versa? If I am stuck behind one of these gimmicks doing 10 under chugging up MY road at 2700' elevation, I'm now infringed upon.

Same but replace 'gimmicks' with 'old person' or 'young kid in a primer EF Civic that's lowered and scraping every slight bump' or 'lady with pretty hair in an Infiniti Q looking down at her phone' or 'garbage truck' or 'dude in the loudest Harley you've ever heard until the next one passes in another block' '__________'. Driving is inconvenient and everyone sucks at it, including you and I.

There is no coming apocalypse of tiny trucks that are going to make you late to work. This is not something you have to worry about. There are far more inconveniences that you deal with already and the line of thinking you currently have is how the import rule got spun up in the first place, convince people its a good idea when the whole point is to pad your manufacturing bottom line. I'm sorry you have issues with getting stuck behind people but a tiny kei truck is never going to be what you are behind, it's going to be whatever you get stuck behind right now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I hate being stuck behind a slow driver as much as the next guy so... Pass them?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I didn't mean to start an argument, and I personally don't care what anyone drives safe or not, that's a personal choice. I'm just saying good luck selling Kei trucks/vans as a good commuter car in North America because the unsafe perception is there whether you like it or not, and you shouldn't hope to convince people that that driving a Kei truck is just as safe and comfortable as driving a F150. There's no "educating" people away from their full size trucks to a Kei truck it's not going to happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

There is no coming apocalypse of tiny trucks that are going to make you late to work.

the best apocalypse

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

I didn't mean to start an argument, and I personally don't care what anyone drives safe or not, that's a personal choice. I'm just saying good luck selling Kei trucks/vans as a good commuter car in North America because the unsafe perception is there whether you like it or not, and you shouldn't hope to convince people that that driving a Kei truck is just as safe and comfortable as driving a F150. There's no "educating" people away from their full size trucks to a Kei truck it's not going to happen.

I should have said these guys were tradesmen. I wouldn't try to convince anyone that they are a comfortable commuter car. The problem I have is they want something that saves them money and will still let them drive around town (it does both in spades), and haul tools and poo poo(check) and they can't get over "reasons".

I am all for drive what you like, and don't drive what you don't like. I was just venting about the frustration of people saying they want something that these trucks deliver, looking at it and then saying it "i dunno".

fake edit: also lol at the kei truck hate, guy has probably never seen one in person

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I'm now infringed upon.

These are joke words, right? You typed them in complete jest?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

These are joke words, right? You typed them in complete jest?

Get under my wheels plebs.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

I personally don't care what anyone drives safe or not, that's a personal choice.

Besides the whole "kei car vs f150" thing, car fleet considerations are kind of a special subject. No one would accept it if I one day just started running everywhere with my elbows straight out, and if someone complained just went "well, maybe you should just stick your elbows out as well if you don't want to get clocked in the face :smuggo:"

Except my elbows generally aren't capable of killing people.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I am all for drive what you like, and don't drive what you don't like. I was just venting about the frustration of people saying they want something that these trucks deliver, looking at it and then saying it "i dunno".

It's a cultural thing, everyone has to have a pickup truck because reasons, what is this tiny go kart "truck" you speak of?

Never mind getting through to all the insecure males that NEED a F150 to help them feel more manly, that's a nut you're never going to crack. No way I'd be caught dead in a Kei truck the guys at work will laugh at me!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Are drivers over there really that bad that you have to buy essentially a tank in order to survive the commute to work?
You do notice the size difference in terms of the majority of vehicles you see. Though people seem to drive quite slowly, too, even though the roads are quite wide and open. It's weird.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's a cultural thing, everyone has to have a pickup truck because reasons, what is this tiny go kart "truck" you speak of?

Never mind getting through to all the insecure males that NEED a F150 to help them feel more manly, that's a nut you're never going to crack. No way I'd be caught dead in a Kei truck the guys at work will laugh at me!

All these dudes were bullied at school.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

All these dudes were bullied at school.

Nah, I think you'll find these guys were the bullies.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

Nah, I think you'll find these guys were the bullies.

Around here they are the smallest dudes in the world in size.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

poo poo even my 00 4Runner is dwarfed by my wife's 07, and even more so by the 5th gen.

Cars are fuckin huuuuuuuge now.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Shut the gently caress up about "infringing on MAH ROADZ" you loving grognards.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MikeyTsi posted:

no u

Pictured: Rights being INFRINGED

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

MikeyTsi posted:

loving lol. I'll continue to play my old war games however i wish!

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

KakerMix posted:

Pictured: Rights being INFRINGED

I mean laugh, but I'm the guy actively trying to run scooters off the road for going ten under. It doesn't matter if you have the right of way if you're non-ambulatory.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah scooters can gently caress right off. If your vehicle/scooter can only top 35 max, stay the hell off of 45mph roads and take the back roads k thanks.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Please paint one Yellow and put "Don't Tread On Me" with a Treadmark racing stripe on it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I mean laugh, but I'm the guy actively trying to run scooters off the road for going ten under. It doesn't matter if you have the right of way if you're non-ambulatory.

Jokes on you bub that Rugger has a 2.8 liter TURBO DIESEL and is plenty speedy and isn't a kei vehicle in any sense :smuggo:
Really though all I am reading here is that you hate driving and wish to be some sort of Stalin of Speed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also if you're actively trying to run scooters off the road then gently caress you, you belong in jail you psychopath, don't try to murder people because they're mildly inconveniencing you, for gently caress's sake.

But of course you aren't really, you're just internet tough-guying your frustration that some people drive under the limit, the thing everyone is actually legally obliged to do.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Internet tough guy aside, it's dangerous and shouldn't be done. Why someone would want to risk their life on a scooter because they can't be bothered with slower roads is beyond me, and this is coming from someone that commuted on a scooter at one time. Call me crazy, but I didn't want road raging assholes in f150s riding up my rear end so I took the back roads instead.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
I'm like 80% joking, but really, I can't stand the slow inattentive driving. I love to drive and ride, and have a bunch of (different kinds of) cars and bikes to show for it. I put my phone down, and pay attention to the lines on the road and the signs as well. Thank loving christ that I'm retired and work from home now, I couldn't handle being out there in genpop during the herding hours.

Leperflesh posted:

Also if you're actively trying to run scooters off the road then gently caress you, you belong in jail you psychopath, don't try to murder people because they're mildly inconveniencing you, for gently caress's sake.

But of course you aren't really, you're just internet tough-guying your frustration that some people drive under the limit, the thing everyone is actually legally obliged to do.

Every time we cross paths on AI you're bitching about a socioeconomic situation or standing up for the downtrodden. Bravo! Do you even own a car, why do you cruise the car forums?

KakerMix posted:

Jokes on you bub that Rugger has a 2.8 liter TURBO DIESEL and is plenty speedy and isn't a kei vehicle in any sense :smuggo:
Really though all I am reading here is that you hate driving and wish to be some sort of Stalin of Speed.

Yeah, Rugger is a bad dude. We had Daihatsu and WuLing 'leaded gas only' kei trucks at Tinker and Elmendorf, AFBs that were worse than walking.

blugu64 posted:

Please paint one Yellow and put "Don't Tread On Me" with a Treadmark racing stripe on it.

I want to for lulz, but no one would be laughing. It's not a joke around here, I think they are "can't have a license from the likor" purveyances

e: just wanted to circle back and say - as I was flipping down my welding shield, I couldn't stop thinking "gently caress, Rugger is the coolest name for a sassy little TD SUV"

Garage2Roadtrip fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 17, 2017

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Nothing beats spandexed idiots doing 5 mph down the middle of the lane in a 55mph, though.

KakerMix posted:

How does the Rugger compare size-wise to a Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ (not humvee-sized JK)?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Mammal Sauce posted:

Nothing beats spandexed idiots doing 5 mph down the middle of the lane in a 55mph, though.

Ain't that the truth. I've never encountered #serious bikers on a road with a good shoulder either. Always like the BRP with no shoulder, cranking away in low gear weaving back and forth huffing up the hills.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Mammal Sauce posted:

How does the Rugger compare size-wise to a Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ (not humvee-sized JK)?

According to poo poo I've Found Online™:

CJ-5
11.5 ft long
5.7 ft wide
5.6 ft tall
2665 lb curb weight

Rugger
13.5 ft long
5.1 ft wide
6.3 ft tall
3406 lbs curb weight

Heavier, longer, thinner and taller. The turbo diesel is hella fun though, climb up over 2500 rpms and the turbo indicator lights up and you get a little shove with a diesel whistle. :3:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 17, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Hey bud, I think you might have the wrong thread. This sounds more like something that belongs in the "Let's not import vehicles from Japan because muh rahts" thread. Please direct this type of stuff over there.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KakerMix posted:

Rugger
13.5 ft long
5.1 ft wide
6.3 ft tall
3406 lbs curb weight

Heavier, longer, thinner and taller. The turbo diesel is hella fun though, climb up over 2500 rpms and the turbo indicator lights up and you get a little shove with a diesel whistle. :3:

I better get my USDM Rocky out of his roads too! (Wanna trade?!)

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

Hey bud, I think you might have the wrong thread. This sounds more like something that belongs in the "Let's not import vehicles from Japan because muh rahts" thread. Please direct this type of stuff over there.

Anyways, working on a 90 Acty G w/ 4wd and a/c. Dealer is going to take some Xtra pics and video of it idling this weekend. Hopefully the van is legit then I can get the Sambar and Acty on the same boat over here.

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 17, 2017

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Bought another car today.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-8cxzeLZxl74pgN.htm

4wd, 5 speed, 660 motor, pretty clean for the age, ac does not work, and door handle does not open from the outside. I am debating wether or not to have the a/c fixed in japan or try my hand over here.

Lets play a game what do you think I paid for that van?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

4wd, 5 speed, 660 motor, pretty clean for the age, ac does not work, and door handle does not open from the outside. I am debating wether or not to have the a/c fixed in japan or try my hand over here.

This isn't an Acty at all! I was also thinking about bidding on this one till I realized I don't have anywhere to park it :v:
Sweet buy for real though

EDIT
Have to make an account but it's worth it

https://partsfan.com/daihatsu/jp/bf3c3dc3325fe60da5f5c2576485db6e/455463f7693402dbcf189026de324c93/

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 18, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm guessing $1.50 per cc.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

How do I interpret the results of this recent nice BE-1 auction ? https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-5lQViUPIxtCGeBC.htm

Start
Sold for

198 000¥

sold

Did this sell for 198 000¥? Or was that a starting bid of 198k¥ but it didn't sell (but it says sold anyway?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011
I am lonely and spend most of my time on 4Chan talking about the superiority of BBC porn.

Femtosecond posted:

How do I interpret the results of this recent nice BE-1 auction ? https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-5lQViUPIxtCGeBC.htm

Start
Sold for

198 000¥

sold

Did this sell for 198 000¥? Or was that a starting bid of 198k¥ but it didn't sell (but it says sold anyway?)

I think that means it sold by negotiation