Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Five different Dodgers received MVP votes so we know who the real winners are here :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ehhhh I wouldn't go that far, just certain posters can be counted on to meltdown easily

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Really loving the "This is a WS narrative win for Houston" and "This is a narrative win for Altuve" hot takes, as if Harvey magically propelled the team to a World Series win after playing under .500 all season. :rolleyes:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

It was a pretty terrible five weeks though. "Make Kyle Schwarber look like an all-star" terrible. Dude also had a 30.7% strikeout rate and lead all of baseball in strikeouts which is uh... not good. Like I get it he javelined a lot of dogs but he's a significantly less impressive batter than Altuve is.

e. And a significantly less impressive player all around, really.

173 wRC+, 8.2 fWAR but OK.

Kirios posted:

Yankee fans just can't be happy with him winning RoY (and deservedly so). No, they have to poo poo on Altuve winning the award too.

And they wonder why people would edit their thread to "The Donald Trump of baseball"

I don't think anybody's making GBS threads on Altuve?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Who cares if Judge has better hitting stats? He's a corner outfielder. Altuve put up stellar numbers playing second. No-brainer. Congrats Altuve and Astros fans.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Surprised at the amount of Yankee tears over this. You all didn't really think Judge was going to win did you????

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

Surprised at the amount of Yankee tears over this. You all didn't really think Judge was going to win did you????

I loving thought he was

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I thought he was too but once again my pessimism has been proven unfounded this year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Baseball arguments are a waste of time. Either you're looking at facts or you're talking yourself into whatever your original opinion was.

MrMidnight posted:

No. Undeserving players win awards all the time. Says Cy Young winner Rick Porcello.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

I loving thought he was

He had the MVP at the all Star break. After that he played like poo poo for a month and lost it. ROY and try for the MVP next year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Baseball arguments are a waste of time. Either you're looking at facts or you're talking yourself into whatever your original opinion was.

:thunk:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I didn't think Judge was gonna win after he slumped hard after the break. but man the hot takes about how Judge isn't actually that good are amazing in here

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mr. Fix It posted:

Who cares if Judge has better hitting stats? He's a corner outfielder. Altuve put up stellar numbers playing second. No-brainer. Congrats Altuve and Astros fans.

Also, Judge finished better in most of the stats that adjust for positional value.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

No. Undeserving players win awards all the time. Says Cy Young winner Rick Porcello.
:lol:

Altuve is not undeserving of this MVP award. Judge would not have been either, had he prevailed. They're both insanely good at baseball and pretty fun to watch for different reasons. Your boy got beat, and that's ok.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

:lol:

Altuve is not undeserving of this MVP award. Judge would not have been either, had he prevailed. They're both insanely good at baseball and pretty fun to watch for different reasons. Your boy got beat, and that's ok.

Fine. LESS deserving players.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrMidnight posted:

He had the MVP at the all Star break. After that he played like poo poo for a month and lost it. ROY and try for the MVP next year.

Saying the August slump rightfully cost him the award is saying it's a narrative award, not a stats one.

Again, I think Altuve was absolutely deserving and I'm not mad he won (well I mean, beyond the obvious bit about wanting my guy to win), but the idea that he was clearly the MVP isn't borne out by the numbers.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

I didn't think Judge was gonna win after he slumped hard after the break. but man the hot takes about how Judge isn't actually that good are amazing in here

He is definitely good. I read articles that his stats in clutch situations were poor compared to Altuve which may have swayed voters.

He deserved more 1st place votes for sure though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Byron Buxton got MVP votes :unsmith:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

Judge is obviously good but I also hope he's been figured out and fades into the obscurity he was destined for before the 2017 season started god bless

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Intruder posted:

Judge is obviously good but I also hope he's been figured out and fades into the obscurity he was destined for before the 2017 season started god bless

2018 MVP :colbert:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrMidnight posted:

He is definitely good. I read articles that his stats in clutch situations were poor compared to Altuve which may have swayed voters.

That loving Fangraphs clutch stat is so misused and bad :argh:

IcePhoenix posted:

I like a lot of the downballot AL MVP votes, they're all very :unsmith: (Sir Didi, Khris Davis, etc.)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Fine. LESS deserving players.
It is hard to precisely quantify the performance of baseball players, particularly when we start talking about defense at very different positions. You can not claim definitively that either player is better than the other. The award must be given based on the judgement of someone and in the end the writers chose Altuve.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Carlosologist posted:

I never said he wasn't a good player, I'm saying a player who excels at almost everything is a better choice for MVP than someone who is by and large a one-trick pony, even if that trick is freakishly impressive.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Trout will stay healthy and put up 11 WAR, shame on everyone who slept on the king.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

If he can even be a mediocre offensive player he's going to be a MVP frontrunner every year. His defense is other worldly. To me Correa is the clear #1 in that draft in Buxton is the clear #2. Both teams got their picks right.

bawfuls posted:

Trout will stay healthy and put up 11 WAR, shame on everyone who slept on the king.

Trout's the rightful king in the AL which is why I'm glad Altuve got his award this year. He probably won't have another chance like this.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

Close and late
Altuve: .441/.529/.661
Judge: .227/.380/.380

Tie game
Altuve: .383/.432/.600
Judge: .231/.389/.477

bawfuls posted:

Angels trade for Stanton, sign Otani, we all just give up

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

I never said he wasn't a good player, I'm saying a player who excels at almost everything is a better choice for MVP than someone who is by and large a one-trick pony, even if that trick is freakishly impressive.

The statement that Judge is a one trick poney is completely ridiculous and unfactual.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Infidel Castro posted:

That's fine to say, but it's a factually incorrect characterization of Judge as a player.

Intruder posted:

Close and late
Altuve: .441/.529/.661
Judge: .227/.380/.380

Tie game
Altuve: .383/.432/.600
Judge: .231/.389/.477

Gimme just RISP.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yes Aaron .227/.380/.380 in the clutch Judge is totally deserving of MVP mcmagic what was I thinking

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If we're seriously talking about "clutch" as MVP-deciding then I'm gonna just talk about how Judge had more RBIs I guess. Goodness people.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Infidel Castro posted:

But enough about Stanton's MVP...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

If we're seriously talking about "clutch" as MVP-deciding then I'm gonna just talk about how Judge had more RBIs I guess. Goodness people.

It's a joke dude relax

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Tiny MVP of my heart. :allears:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Gimme just RISP.

Both good, Judge with the edge in slugging Altuve with the edge in BA and slight edge in OBP

Altuve: .303/.392/.439
Judge: .262/.390/.624

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kirios posted:

It's a joke dude relax

(Sorry I shouldn't post here and on the EW Facebook group and Twitter at the same time, too many dummies in the latter two places.)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

Trout's the rightful king in the AL which is why I'm glad Altuve got his award this year. He probably won't have another chance like this.
Agreed. I think MVP and CY awards are narrative/legacy awards that people look back on for guidance on contemporary perception of players from the past.

Trout's dominance will (I hope) rise to the top in the end when he's sitting on a pile of MVP awards. Altuve is a remarkable and special player who should be remembered decades from now, and having an MVP award helps solidify his legacy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
MLB N/V Offseason: Yankees fans melting down ITT

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kirios posted:

It's a joke dude relax

Adam Jones had the highest BA with RISP in the AL this season. I guess he's the MVP then.

Intruder posted:

Both good, Judge with the edge in slugging Altuve with the edge in BA and slight edge in OBP

Altuve: .303/.392/.439
Judge: .262/.390/.624
NBD just 200 points of OPS heh.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Infidel Castro posted:

I mean...

if Judge was a one trick pony then he would just be pulling the ball all the time? he doesn't get enough credit for being able to hit the ball the other way I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
goodness can you all please move on

• Locked thread