Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT

is frozen custard any good, there's a pretty decent burg place around here that sells frozen custard as a desert and fried cheese curds as a side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

I wish I lived in a place that had fried cheese curds as a side

put them on my fries with some gravy

sb hermit

break the monopoly of fries as a side with my burgers

gimme some mac and cheese

... I wonder if mac and cheese are a tasty replacement for cheddar in a cheeseburger...

TOOT BOOT

el dorito posted:

I wish I lived in a place that had fried cheese curds as a side

put them on my fries with some gravy

We don't, it's just the one place (Culver's)

alnilam

el dorito posted:

... I wonder if mac and cheese are a tasty replacement for cheddar in a cheeseburger...

it is

cda

by Hand Knit

TOOT BOOT posted:

is frozen custard any good,

Yeah it's real good, creamy like ice cream but smooth like frozen yogurt

Twenty Four

TOOT BOOT posted:

is frozen custard any good, there's a pretty decent burg place around here that sells frozen custard as a desert and fried cheese curds as a side

TOOT BOOT posted:

We don't, it's just the one place (Culver's)

Culvers cheese curds are pretty good when hot, and the custard is basically just decent ice cream, maybe a little richer.

Not anywhere near earth changing, but good for what you can get around here. The burgs aren't bad for a fast food place either. Disappointing pork tenderloin though.

I remember working (not at Culvers) with a girl who was super picky and was all "curds? custard? eeeewwwww those words sound gross!" and wouldn't touch them.

After watching everyone else enjoying the food we picked up, she reluctantly tried them and had to admit that she liked it.

Not liking a food without trying it based on its name even after having it described as something you usually would like has to be some sort of stupid first world problem.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

cda posted:

Way to go. That's awesome. What was it about?

the institutional structures of the hungarian field of history, 1954-1975

lsd turning your uncle into glasses of orange juice

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i remember when my 6th grade teacher was trying to teach us about drugs. we all got pretty good idea of the acid scene during the 70's

Nosfereefer

"a friend of mine took a hit of acid and ended up backstage with jimmi hendrix and marty balin. gently caress, woodstock was something. you kids have no idea what you'll be missing out on"

Nosfereefer

"... and after staying up all night doing speedballs with frank sinatra and half of the grateful dead, we finally passed out somewhere outside of reno. so, i guess what i'm trying to tell you kids, the 80's was a loving wild time. what class is this again?"

Nosfereefer

"drugs were so cheap back then, people would basically pay you to eat quads. hell, i remember once when david bowie just came in with an entire bucket full of assorted pills and just kind of started handing out fistsfulls. to this very day noone has yet discovered the true ingredients of bowies secret pill mix"

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
you're on a roll this morning, friend

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

City of Glompton

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

you're on a roll this morning, friend

:agreed: would be a good thread

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

City of Glompton

hamjobs posted:

ok i'll name one of the fancy ones after you. i'm going to get a barred rock from mom next month!

:love: thank you! looking forward to chook pics

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Fredflonston

Spend some time in NY State and those crazies were trying to serve me some sort of cold Mac n Cheese with my burger except it wasn't cheesy at all. I was so confused.

shwa

yeah I'm a game yeah I play girls

alnilam posted:

oh no, i hope it feels better :ohdear:

It feels better, but it's bigger than i expected

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
It's starting to look like a computer parts Christmas this year. I definitely need a new gfx card and probably more ram, but my PC is also having some really strange issues that I need to isolate that may be hard drive related. It's like pulling the thread of a sweater- pretty soon the whole thing unravels and you just need a whole overhaul... for your sweater.

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

shwa posted:

It feels better, but it's bigger than i expected

Specs and inside pics please. You know you want to brag share.
Stills from Tron would be an acceptable substitute.

sockingtonsworth

Fredflonston posted:

Spend some time in NY State and those crazies were trying to serve me some sort of cold Mac n Cheese with my burger except it wasn't cheesy at all. I was so confused.

was it western NY? they have all this bulls*hit food that they all say is amazing but it’s really just like :wrong:

sockingtonsworth

then again, my favorite food is lemon so what do I know

Back Alley Borks

Awoo.

Is there a secret to making iced tea, or is it really just as "make some tea and put ice in it"?

Starman Super DX posted:

It's starting to look like a computer parts Christmas this year. I definitely need a new gfx card and probably more ram, but my PC is also having some really strange issues that I need to isolate that may be hard drive related. It's like pulling the thread of a sweater- pretty soon the whole thing unravels and you just need a whole overhaul... for your sweater.

A new line of CPUs with big architectural changes is coming early next year, so maybe wait just a bit longer.

Renegret

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Codeacious posted:

Is there a secret to making iced tea, or is it really just as "make some tea and put ice in it"?

No actually that's pretty much it.

Prostrat is to cold brew your tea instead. Use cold water, put your tea in, and let it sit overnight in the fridge (This works really well with coffee too). I think it tastes a lot smoother and it's harder to over seep the tea. It only takes a little bit more time but who cares that's why you do it the night before.

POOL IS CLOSED

I brew a strong tea and then chill it. Then when it's iced, the dilution is just right! But cold brewing sounds legit too.

cda

by Hand Knit

Nosfereefer posted:

the institutional structures of the hungarian field of history, 1954-1975

lsd turning your uncle into glasses of orange juice

Did any good historiography get done in hungary during those years or was it all Cold War propaganda stuff

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Renegret

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I brew a strong tea and then chill it. Then when it's iced, the dilution is just right! But cold brewing sounds legit too.

I used to cold brew coffee all the time. It's easy and really tasty.

I'm not much of a tea person so I've only cold brewed tea once but it was good.

FactsAreUseless

Hello my frands. There are many laughs to be had in this thread.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Codeacious posted:

Make the tea strong so the ice won't dilute it.

My grandma just boiled a crapload of teabags with the sugar, pretty concentrated, then dumped it over the ice and lemons in the big drink cooler

Did it all wrong and was the official #1 favorite "bring the iced tea" person at church

I think the extra tannins and the lemons touching hot water for a few seconds made it super-quenching

The cold brew idea is good, and sun tea is fun too because the sun helps make it

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I'm getting over the flu and anyone who is, has or will be suffering from it this season you have and will have my continued sympathy, which is different from thoughts and prayers in that I have personally suffered the tragedy in question and wish you didn't/won't have to, as opposed to a tragedy involving a Mentos truck hitting a Diet Coke truck for example. Can you imagine? Would it make a loud SPLOOSH! sound do you think? I don't know, I think I have a fever still...

I'm still considering my diorama and have gathered parts. I just need the will and energy

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

POOL IS CLOSED

hello friends, don't forget to sign up for the byob secret santa if you meant to :shobon:

splatmaster i hope your recovery is fast and thanks for reminding me to get a drat flu shot before i'm in the grip of a disaster virus again

TOOT BOOT

Twenty Four posted:

Not liking a food without trying it based on its name even after having it described as something you usually would like has to be some sort of stupid first world problem.

'Try the puckered pig anus, it's excllent'

Manifisto

hello thread and congrats nosfereefer on the thesis and hamjobs on the excellent looking house and anyone else who deserves to be congratulated, which is all of you. good job!

Starman Super DX posted:

my PC is also having some really strange issues that I need to isolate that may be hard drive related

that "really strange issues" thing sux, I had weird issues for a while that I eventually tracked down to a stick of RAM that had gone bad

I guess you prolly know with the hard drive (if it's a mechanical/spinning hard drive) to check the S.M.A.R.T. status using a utility (lots of free ones around). if any of the tests fail your hdd is likely on its way out.

ty nesamdoom!

shwa

yeah I'm a game yeah I play girls

Barking Gecko posted:

Specs and inside pics please. You know you want to brag share.
Stills from Tron would be an acceptable substitute.

Oh course! It's sort of a hodgepodge but it's doing me well so far

Processor: AMD Phenom II 1100T
Graphics Card: AMD R9 290X
RAM: 16 GB

The processor and the ram look to be bottlenecking the system a little bit, but the graphics card is more expensive to buy new then I spent on the whole system, and I'm really happy with it

here's some interior pics:

Also check out these cool switches in the front that do... something...

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Manifisto posted:

hello thread and congrats nosfereefer on the thesis and hamjobs on the excellent looking house and anyone else who deserves to be congratulated, which is all of you. good job!

that "really strange issues" thing sux, I had weird issues for a while that I eventually tracked down to a stick of RAM that had gone bad

I guess you prolly know with the hard drive (if it's a mechanical/spinning hard drive) to check the S.M.A.R.T. status using a utility (lots of free ones around). if any of the tests fail your hdd is likely on its way out.

ever since I had to do an emergency reinstall of windows on a less than reliable hd it's just been doing a handful of odd things. the most specific of which I can pin down is that it's crashing whenever I use iTunes and certain other programs involving audio files. I tried disabling my sound card and that did nothing. I'm hoping it's something drive related among other evidence (more obvious clicking and whirring than usual) and really, really hoping that it's not the motherboard :cripes:

e:

shwa posted:

Also check out these cool switches in the front that do... something...

although if an overhaul ended in having awesome mechanical switches like these then yes maybe

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 17, 2017

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

alnilam

holy crap I'm watching the famous darmok ep of star trk tng for the first time and it really is so good

POOL IS CLOSED

alnilam posted:

holy crap I'm watching the famous darmok ep of star trk tng for the first time and it really is so good

it was actually a pretty cool episode and i liked seeing a story that handles idioms in (mis)communication :sun:

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Starman Super DX posted:

ever since I had to do an emergency reinstall of windows on a less than reliable hd it's just been doing a handful of odd things. the most specific of which I can pin down is that it's crashing whenever I use iTunes and certain other programs involving audio files. I tried disabling my sound card and that did nothing. I'm hoping it's something drive related among other evidence (more obvious clicking and whirring than usual) and really, really hoping that it's not the motherboard :cripes:

e:

although if an overhaul ended in having awesome mechanical switches like these then yes maybe

Hddscan is a useful program for reading the SMART info from your hard drive. It can also do various drive tests. http://hddscan.com/
Memtest+ is a good program for testing the RAM on your system. http://www.memtest.org/

Audio issues: Make sure you have the latest drivers for your audio chipset installed. If you have a separate, plug in audio card, check the support website for the card manufacturer for the latest Windows drivers. If your audio chipset is built in to your motherboard, check the motherboard manufacturer's support website for the latest audio chipset drivers for your motherboard. You may need to uninstall the current drivers from Device Manager before you install the new drivers. You may also want to check the website for the audio chipset manufacturer to see if they have more up to date drivers available, e.g. Via, C-media, Intel, etc.

Apologies if you have already tried these things. Good luck.

sb hermit

Starman Super DX posted:

e:

Putty posted:

if your reading this and havent backed up your computer today do it now or else!!!

To be quite serious - mechanical noises are more likely to be the hard drive. Back up your hard drive just in case! Nothing is more heartbreaking than losing an entire lifetime of carefully curated bookmarks that include youtube videos that can serve as any reaction post.

sb hermit

alnilam posted:

what does it mean when they say “al and dorito at the Culver’s”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer

cda posted:

Did any good historiography get done in hungary during those years or was it all Cold War propaganda stuff

ca until the 60's it was pretty much all extremely low-brow stalinist propaganda outside the very elite academy of sciences. from then on the hungarian field of academic history would go on to become world class. the vice-president of the academy's historical institute was actually employed at a university in indiana as well by the 80's and would frequent between the countries.