Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Game needs an additional pass on teacher / student interactions and the skill-building value of independent study. Let dwarves teach each other non-military skills the way they do military skills, make studying much more effective when supplemented by books written by experts, and overhaul the trading system so that a) requests actually work and can be made in a specific manner instead of just using an incredibly clumsy priority system that the AI doesn't really respect anyways and b) we can request books on a particular subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've often wanted some sort of pairing, where I could glue two dwarfs together and get 0.8 of their regular output, but with the better one teaching the lesser one faster. They could form a relationship, and you could have this tree of mentorship where whoever had the most mentees until them transitively was named the Guildmaster.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haven't played for a few years, very excited.

Is there a trick to getting goblins to exist? 6 large worlds, no goblins listed as neighbours anywhere. I tried setting creation to only run for 100 years, as I seem to remember extinctions being more likely the more time goes on. I tried slightly upping the starting evil zones, as humans and elves don't care for evil lands.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh, I think I figured it out. When I was messing around with advanced parameters I set cavern layer water min to 20, hoping that would ensure water in my caverns. Maybe that drowned all the goblins in the cradle?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Jothan posted:

Diagnosis skill level only determines the time taken, yeah; and on the one hand, while I'd love to one day open up a dedicated Healthcare Log page and read out a procedurally generated transcript of 'House, But With Dwarves', if misdiagnosis got implemented I would probably never assign a doctor ever again.
One of the few times where the Rimworld implementation is more dwarf fortress-y than dwarf fortress.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh, I think I figured it out. When I was messing around with advanced parameters I set cavern layer water min to 20, hoping that would ensure water in my caverns. Maybe that drowned all the goblins in the cradle?

Shouldn't matter... No goblins exist in the entire world or are you just embarking too far from them to be neighbors? Are there at least gobbo civs but just dying off super quick (might be too many megabeasts)?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Facebook Aunt posted:

The game is too abstracted outside of play to recognize that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Don't goblins usually take over the world? That's pretty unusual to get none

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah at least since 43.* most of my worldgens by 250 years are overrun by goblins.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Zesty posted:

The game is too abstracted outside of play to recognize that.

Not necessarily. It's possible that the site finder can't find suitable sites to start the goblin civs during world creation. It depends on if the site finder can make a distinction between flooded and non-flooded caverns.

You are right that they wouldn't actually drown.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Returned to my fort after a year inRL. I forgot what all the levers do but I remember now why I stopped playing it

Lpzie fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 16, 2017

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Brutal. FPS is the thing that always kills my forts.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
You thought you could get rid of the lag by throwing it in your refuse stockpile?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

So Math posted:

You thought you could get rid of the lag by throwing it in your refuse stockpile?

Stuff in a refuse pile does disappear more quickly than normal as long as it's subject to wear or rot in the first place.

Overproduction + not using quantum stockpiles is a much bigger contributor, because lots of distinct piles hooks into pathing and job production somehow and pathing is always the #1 problem.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont remember the last time i didnt cap a fort at like 60 or even fewer dwarves because running forts with a shitton of dwarves has never ever been fun due to how loving slow it gets

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Stuff in a refuse pile does disappear more quickly than normal as long as it's subject to wear or rot in the first place.

Overproduction + not using quantum stockpiles is a much bigger contributor, because lots of distinct piles hooks into pathing and job production somehow and pathing is always the #1 problem.

I was joking about the word "Lag" spelled out in corpses, but good to know!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

COMRADES posted:

Shouldn't matter... No goblins exist in the entire world or are you just embarking too far from them to be neighbors? Are there at least gobbo civs but just dying off super quick (might be too many megabeasts)?

I started a new set of advanced parameters and got goblins right away. I think the only thing I did differently in the new parameters was I didn't mess with the water level in the caverns. But I suppose I may have fat fingers some obscure parameter and not noticed. :shrug:

After the first 5 apparently goblin-free words I started exporting the P thing before accepting the new words, and the next 4 were 100% goblin free as well. Thousands of kobolds, no goblins.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lowering water levels in caverns can wipe out certain underground plants / animals and in some cases this can cause societal problems when e.g. tower caps or beak dogs no longer exist.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Does using stockpiles as opposed to quantum stockpiles really have THAT big an effect on FPS?

Follow-up question: does atom smashing piles of junk actually remove it from the game and improve FPS, or does it just set all that stuff as invisible but it still technically exists? The internet and even the wiki seem really unclear on this point.

e: generally I just give all my excess crap to the caravans but you can't really do that with all the boulders you get from mining

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

So Math posted:

the word "Lag" spelled out in corpses

Primo thread title right here

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I'm playing around with methods to increase my FPS. One realization is that I had too many animals running around

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Lpzie posted:

I'm playing around with methods to increase my FPS. One realization is that I had too many animals running around

Better yet, pit them directly into magma. No muss, no fuss!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Pasturing chickens or turkeys or whatever over your refuse stockpile supposedly makes stuff dissappear more quickly too, because they make vermin that eat the stuff.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Nettle Soup posted:

Pasturing chickens or turkeys or whatever over your refuse stockpile supposedly makes stuff dissappear more quickly too, because they make vermin that eat the stuff.

I wonder if you could mod goats that just directly eat useless garbage.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neurion posted:

Better yet, pit them directly into magma. No muss, no fuss!

When I do this there's always some dolt that manages to set something on fire or splash magma on himself or just jump in somehow so now I just put all the animals in 1 cage and drop that into magma.

Make your cage out of not magma proof stuff because curiously temperature doesn't transfer and animals inside an iron cage in a volcano will be just fine. More curious is that if your dwarf is hauling an iron cart full of magma they will absolutely burn their hands off.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

COMRADES posted:

animals inside an iron cage in a volcano will be just fine

I think we just found out how to build a dwarven bathysphere.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

COMRADES posted:

More curious is that if your dwarf is hauling an iron cart full of magma they will absolutely burn their hands off.

Knowing dwarves, I expect they're holding it from the top with their thumbs inside.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Neurion posted:

One of my biggest wishes is for Toady to code in ropes and cables beyond the simple leash and well that we have now.

Imagine being able to make actual elevators. A dwarf lowers a car to the bottom of a shaft, another dwarf pushes a minecart on, then rides up with the cart to the level he wants to stop at and away he goes.

Of course more realistically it turns out as: "A dwarf elevator operator starts to lower a car, then goes on break, comes back a year later, finishes lowering the car, the dwarf at the bottom finally pushes the mine cart into the elevator car, then promptly dies from thirst triggering massive job order cancellation spam due to the unattended mine cart being stuck in the elevator car and the player just fills the elevator shaft with magma out of a combination of frustration and incompetence."

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On a side note I discovered that cage heat thing when I was trying to build an automated execution system for captured goblins where the cage would get loaded into a cart pulling from a goblin cage stockpile and tracking through magma and then the cart dumps the now empty cage off for re-use but alas it only works with wood cages and then that defeats the point a bit.

It felt weird building such a contraption this game turns us into monsters.

TheCIASentMe posted:

One of my biggest wishes is for Toady to code in ropes and cables beyond the simple leash and well that we have now.

Imagine being able to make actual elevators. A dwarf lowers a car to the bottom of a shaft, another dwarf pushes a minecart on, then rides up with the cart to the level he wants to stop at and away he goes.

Of course more realistically it turns out as: "A dwarf elevator operator starts to lower a car, then goes on break, comes back a year later, finishes lowering the car, the dwarf at the bottom finally pushes the mine cart into the elevator car, then promptly dies from thirst triggering massive job order cancellation spam due to the unattended mine cart being stuck in the elevator car and the player just fills the elevator shaft with magma out of a combination of frustration and incompetence."

This would be awesome. Also dwarves accounting for cart paths in the pathfinding somehow. Right now you can have them 'ride' a cart but only as a specific command and they won't ever shortcut a path they were already taking like some kind of Dwarven metro.

I was wanting to build a gate complex in which the doors/gates only open for incoming carts and that's the only way into the fort but if I have to manually bring dwarves in/out then nope too much hassle.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 16, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Please describe your automated cage incineration system for the class.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

COMRADES posted:

On a side note I discovered that cage heat thing when I was trying to build an automated execution system for captured goblins where the cage would get loaded into a cart pulling from a goblin cage stockpile and tracking through magma and then the cart dumps the now empty cage off for re-use but alas it only works with wood cages and then that defeats the point a bit.

It felt weird building such a contraption this game turns us into monsters.

Yeah the biggest attraction in my fortress is always the elaborate death room.Usually a mass pitting affair with a selection of cruel poo poo at the bottom like upright spikes or just a hard floor surrounded by spiked ball traps or a drop into a few z levels of water or magma. It's just because the most hilarious part of the game is the plastic way it treats body parts.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Creatures in cages are essentially invincible right? I wonder what happens if you cage up all your dwarfs when faced with an insurmountable threat, and just wait for it to get bored and wander off. OR do things still die of thirst/starvation? I forget.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I set up a minecart stop that pulled from a stockpile specifically set to only have full cages of goblins. That way I could incinerate all the goblins but keep the fancier caged invaders/animals around. Once it is full up, a dwarf comes by and gives it a shove. It then goes down a z-level into a filled pool of magma, and gets slowly dragged by the rollers (have to make with all magma safe components like iron or they will melt) before getting pulled up and then dumping the contents onto a grate, which lets the magma inside back into the pool below. Then the empty cage is ready to be re-used on a trap.

The downside of that design is the magma safe equipment inside the cages isn't recovered but I figured I had enough iron anyway that it wasn't worth the hassle. Otherwise you can dump onto a cage pile and recover the inside stuff as normal but then you might have to wait for magma to evaporate.

Of course the cages didn't transfer heat so in practice I ended up using wood cages which burned away and then the prisoner was melted and I just had to build a lot of wood cages. Elves weren't too happy with me but whatever I have to constantly be cutting trees away from near my walls in the new versions anyway lest invaders climb and jump over them.

I should also note that there were a few squares of distance between any point on the track that dwarves were involved (such as the pushing the cart) and magma because dwarves will absolutely just randomly trip into the magma somehow once in a while or get magma mist splashed onto them.

Pharnakes posted:

Creatures in cages are essentially invincible right? I wonder what happens if you cage up all your dwarfs when faced with an insurmountable threat, and just wait for it to get bored and wander off. OR do things still die of thirst/starvation? I forget.

Thirst/starvation still applies but otherwise yeah you can drop them from any height or whatever and nothing will happen, can't be attacked, can't drown.

What you could theoretically do is stuff the cage full of food/drinks as they can hold an unlimited amount of things inside last I checked, but to get dwarves inside you have to knock them onto the trap via webs or roof collapse. Not sure if the dwarf will eat stuff inside the cage either although animals do?

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 16, 2017

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Pharnakes posted:

Invaders don't die of either. Can things in cages drown? I'm assuming not, otherwise you can have a really long submarine ride.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also what is fun is setting up a few tracks in parallel (like 8-10) inside a little closed off area that has to be passed through, then when you hit the lever the mechanisms/gates/rollers start working and each track has a cart flying over it at ludicrous speeds and at various times so it is like frogger for invaders. You get the carts going fast enough and they won't stop unless they hit a particularly dense group which lets them come around and get sped up again for another pass.

Also at high speeds you can shoot them over a channel and through fortifications so your frogger zone will stay contained.

You'll probably have to use impulse ramps for this though so depends on if you want to abuse glitches or not. I don't have an issue with q-piles but impulse ramps are definitely a bit cheat-y (still though whatever I just wanna see gobbos get gibbed).

I've tried filling the carts with magma before they go in which... works but the carts are heavier so harder to accelerate and they get stuck a bit more. The magma also doesn't spill out as nicely as you'd hope. What works better is filling carts full of something like serrated discs but of course that can't be automated unfortunately (I've tried carts dumping into other carts doesn't work). It is pretty cool watching a cart full of discs slam into a troll and then have all the discs fly out to shred whatever else is nearby though.

e: We will be cruel to the gobbo and through our cruelty they will know who we are :black101:

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 16, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Is it possible to get an entire siege on a single long minecart track and then just slam a minecart into them at some ridiculous speed so it splatters the whole lineup of goblins? I never quite figured out how to build minecart tracks and this is motivating me to learn.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Neurion posted:

i once had the idea to coat a dwarf entirely in adamantine everything to see if they could survive in magma

it was generally fine except for the 'all the fat in the body spontaneously igniting' thing

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

This got linked in my minecraft discord channel and I couldn't not link it here. :nws: for language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvJsG4F2Img

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My biggest disappointment re: elaborate murder systems was learning that dwarfs still get afraid of scary stuff even though it's behind a glass wall. I laid out a 4-sided dining room surrounding a large glass-walled central area, with a system of levers to open cages of goblins. There was a crossbow platform above it, and I also had plans to release minotaurs or whatever in there as dining entertainment. The first time I uncaged the goblins for a show it initiated a giant panic throughout my fort and I had to get all my crossbow dwarfs over to kill them all while I was getting spammed with panic messages etc.

Some day I would like to be able to make glass hamster tube systems throughout the fort where I can dump goblins and cheetahs and all that sort of stuff, but I guess I'll just have to wait until fear gets rationalized a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It would help with siege weapons too.