Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah linked in the op https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DesDCb2WU

arumba is good. dunno if this particular series with filthyrobot is good but maybe its worth a watch. just watch him do a campaign you'll figure out most of it

I watched about 10 minutes of this and it's really bad. He spends a lot of time just reading things on the screen without explaining a drat thing.

Also the whole tutorial series is over 50 hours long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
the one with Cknoor and DDRjake is pretty okay iirc, I watched a couple of episodes of it as it was coming out. It's the other one I linked in the OP.

vyelkin posted:

I must have missed this, how exactly does Common Sense let you get institutions at will?

When you develop a province, it gives you a chunk of whatever the first institution you don't have is. If you develop low dev provinces it's like +.001 so you'll probably not notice, but it adds up when the province is wealthier. Normally developing a ~15 dev province to start with is what people do. It takes something like... 2000 monarch points to seed the institution. Maybe less if you stack development discounts.

sudo rm -rf posted:

does zoroastrianism still exist somewhere in the new patch

Still in Yazd. Maybe it got converted quickly in your game.

Jay Rust posted:

How do I find out when an army will arrive at its destination a few provinces away? Before, you could mouse over the tiny arrow towards the top of the unit info screen, but it looks like they removed that tooltip. Where did it go?

This has gotta be a bug, the green arrow is still on the interface and everything but it uses the tooltip for stuff that's next to it.

edit: I just went to the Paradox forums to report it but someone beat me to it, but they also showed you can still get the tooltip by hovering over the very top of the arrow:

kind of annoying but at least it's something until they fix it

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 17, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Arsonide posted:

Now that Cradle of Civilization has dropped, I kind of want to play this because everyone else says this game is fun. I have all of the DLC. However, here is my experience playing Europa Universalis 4: I play the tutorial, and am still confused as hell, then stop playing, and eventually uninstall. This has happened twice now over many years.

So for someone that wants to play this, but has been through the tutorial twice and still has no idea what is going on, is there a Youtube series or something that teaches morons how to play and enjoy this game?

It's best to just dive in and learn while you play, tackling new mechanics at your own leisure. The game is so complex I still learn things after 200 hours, very basic things. This thread has been helpful when I've posted here with basic questions, and the EU4 Wiki explains everything in great detail for whenever you're curious about something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Any Ming tributary news?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I watched about 10 minutes of this and it's really bad. He spends a lot of time just reading things on the screen without explaining a drat thing.

Ew yeah. I never watched that one it was just in the op. I learned by watching any of his actual gameplay videos. Like he generally explains himself while he's playing.

The game is going to take like 10 hours to get to the point where you mostly understand what you're seeing though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
drat, it's that bad? I saw people recommending Arumba's tutorial stuff before, maybe one of his earlier serieses is better? Anyone here learned by watching them?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Any Ming tributary news?

nope

I'm liking army professionalism, even if it would be better if it wasn't totally detached from army tradition. Taken as its own mechanic though, it's a really welcome change to have some incentive to not always 1. lower maintenance and 2. use assloads of mercenaries in every single game.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Koramei posted:

drat, it's that bad?

I think it's pretty good personally, filthyrobot asks good questions and that helps avoid a lot of the pitfalls of these kind of tutorials

the main drawback is that it's insanely long (because it's an EUIV game played at tutorial/heavy discussion pace), but it's not like you need to watch the whole thing

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Koramei posted:

drat, it's that bad? I saw people recommending Arumba's tutorial stuff before, maybe one of his earlier serieses is better? Anyone here learned by watching them?

I stumbled across it while looking for Civ VI pre-release gameplay footage and eventually watched the whole thing. It plus the Rights of Man dev clash convinced me to buy the game. Assuming you're willing to put in a few hours I'd say it's a pretty effective teaching tool. The game's far too complex for any reasonable-length tutorial to accomplish anything, but it's not like they're still introducing major mechanics 40 hours in; by that point it's all edge cases and optimizing and such.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maybe it's because I'm old but I really don't like the kids these days doing insanely long youtube videos instead of just writing their dang guides down.

I guess I should be thankful it doesn't have a facecam too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm not really a fan of how the Islamic schools mechanic works. Having your school based on your starting nation is fine, but the 'invite school' option might as well just be blanked out unless you have vassals or you're in the earlier part of the game when you can actually have allies that stick around for a while. And there's far too many schools which can get wiped off the map before you even get a chance to use them.
Seems like maybe the schools could be tied to provinces as well? So like, you have Muslim religious centers for the various schools, which as long as they are not converted, remain a source of that type of scholar even if the country that controls it isn't of that school - and of course you get the option of inviting a scholar from these schools if you control their religious center yourself. Some schools might have more than one center, and perhaps if a religious center is converted there should be a chance that the school relocates to another Muslim province - either the capital of a nation of that school, or if not available, a random province in a nation which currently has a scholar of that school.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Groogy posted:

But how am I going to afford my Ferrari otherwise :(
e: though seriously I think bunch of them are on sale on our paradoxplaza store

second edit: also why is it so quiet, is everything okay with the patch and expansion? :ohdear:

FYI I wanted to browse all of the EU4 expansions, and setting the filters in your store to Europa Universalis and Expansion did that, but it also somehow put a CK2 expansion (Jade Dragon) in that list so I'm guessing that the CK2 expansion is mistagged

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

sudo rm -rf posted:

does zoroastrianism still exist somewhere in the new patch

Yeah I think it is in Yazd. Neither me nor Trin Tragula would remove the one true faith from the game. Praise be Ahura Mazda

QuarkJets posted:

FYI I wanted to browse all of the EU4 expansions, and setting the filters in your store to Europa Universalis and Expansion did that, but it also somehow put a CK2 expansion (Jade Dragon) in that list so I'm guessing that the CK2 expansion is mistagged

Ah at paradoxplaza? Thx I'll get it fixed

Groogy fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 17, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Browsing a little more, it looks like the Jade Dragon page includes a bundle option for Cradle of Civilization, so maybe that's why it got categorized into the EU4 expansion filter (because it has an option that includes an EU4 expansion). So the bug goes away whenever that bundle option ends I guess, if you even want to call it a bug (I guess it is, technically? Maybe?)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe it's because I'm old but I really don't like the kids these days doing insanely long youtube videos instead of just writing their dang guides down.

I guess I should be thankful it doesn't have a facecam too.

arumba is like 35-40 with a kid so he's around your age probably lol

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Seems like maybe the schools could be tied to provinces as well? So like, you have Muslim religious centers for the various schools, which as long as they are not converted, remain a source of that type of scholar even if the country that controls it isn't of that school - and of course you get the option of inviting a scholar from these schools if you control their religious center yourself. Some schools might have more than one center, and perhaps if a religious center is converted there should be a chance that the school relocates to another Muslim province - either the capital of a nation of that school, or if not available, a random province in a nation which currently has a scholar of that school.

I was thinking this exact same thing - it would seem reasonable to have 'centre of <school>' similar to how we currently have other sites of specific religious importance as part of the map setup. They would work more or less exactly as you've described.

It just seems weird that you can apparently totally remove a strain of Islamic thought from existence by annexing a couple of states.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fister Roboto posted:

Arumba is goddamn awful.

Unfortunately I can't really recommend any specific EU4 Youtubers, as they all have their ups and downs (except Arumba, where it's just downs... the only positive thing I'd have to say about him is "dude at least knows how to play the game really, really well"). Quill18 is probably too fast and spergy for a lot of people, but is probably the one I'd be closest to recommending. Shenryyr is okay but gets old after awhile. Cringer63 is supremely chill but I don't think he does EU4 that often, mainly CK2 and Stellaris.

Edit: oh yeah forgot DDRJake. Yeah, watch his stuff.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

arumba is like 35-40 with a kid so he's around your age probably lol

All the ones I mentioned are in that age range too. I'm sure there are plenty of Paradox LP'ers out there that are younger, but the key age range seems to be 30-40.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 17, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Reman is pretty good. He doesn't have enough videos yet to be a tutorial unto himself, but they're all pretty clear and informative. For example, here's a guide to the trade system. It's done in an earlier version of EU4, of course, but not much has changed since then and the fundamentals remain the same.

Also, a question: Did this update make Mamluks stronger even if you don't have the paid content? Because they just fought off the Ottomans in my game, which I've never seen without me mucking around in the region.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Mr. Fowl posted:

Also, a question: Did this update make Mamluks stronger even if you don't have the paid content? Because they just fought off the Ottomans in my game, which I've never seen without me mucking around in the region.

They begin the game as a GP, and I believe they have an extra vassal compared to before.

My Mamluks game started with Ottomans getting their poo poo kicked in by Albania/Aragon/Naples right at the start, so I jumped in on a humiliate CB and long story short the endgame boss is already beaten by 1450.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
When a friend wanted to understand the game we simply did a co-op game, sadly they found it too boring. Easiest way to learn the game really.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I decided to try to form the HRE (again), and so far it is one of my most entertaining games yet.

I'm Austria, I've done all the usual Austria early game stuff (PU'd Hungary and Bohemia, beaten Venice up for their lunch money a couple of times), when my heir suddenly dies. No big deal, my Emperor is only 40 and his wife is 32, they're bound to knock out a Emperorling sooner or later. Nope, the next loving month my 40 year old Emperor dies. Because I have no heir, I can't be elected Emperor, so loving Hesse becomes Emperor. My new leader is some 1/2/1 dipshit from a family I've never heard of, I am now 20 over my force limit, and some no-name OPM is Emperor of the loving HRE. I'm mad as hell.

I consider just no-CBing Hesse, vassalizing them, and forcing a re-election, but my legitimacy is now so low thanks to my bungled succession that only Bohemia, my minor partner, will vote for me, despite good relations with all the electors. I decide to just wait until the Emperor dies, at which point my Legitimacy will have healed, and I'll easily win the election. About two months later, the Emperor dies, and Hesse is re-elected - And a loving 18 year old is crowned Emperor. I've got no time for that.

I've had enough of this Hessian Emperor bullshit. I no-CB the Pallatine and Saxony, and Vassalize them. I've now got three Electors in my pocket. I then no-CB Hesse, and vassalize them. A election is held, and my incompetent 1/2/1 dipshit is crowned Emperor (short may he reign). Of course, all of this no-CBing means that the entire HRE, as well as a few Italian states, form a giant coalition against me. I misjudged their strength horribly - I believed that the combined strength of Austria and my partners, as well as my allies in Poland and Castille would be enough to deter them from declaring on me.

Nope. The coalition attacks me. Half of Europe is now at war with the other half. A couple of battles hit 100 thousand troops per side, which is by far the largest I've seen in the 15h Century. I eventually lose, and am forced to release Styria and two other OPMs in the Balkans.

But, I'm Emperor again. And I still have unions with Bohemia and Hungary. And all it cost was a couple of hundred thousand dead soldiers and a few illegitimate wars.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

snoremac posted:

It's best to just dive in and learn while you play, tackling new mechanics at your own leisure.

Yes.

My usual recommendation would be to start learning the game by playing Muscovy -> Russia. (Been my favourite method since EU2.) Muscovy in 1444 is a medium-sized power with potential to grow into a huge monstrous powerhouse. You have to beat up on various smaller neighbours and get strong enough to beat up on the bigger neighbours. Then you can form Russia and have tons of fun with expanding across Siberia and becoming a world power. And you can basically ignore the whole naval aspect of the game for now.

I speak as someone who's had an on-again, off-again love affair with Paradox games since the first release of the original Europa Universalis. Played each game in the EU series extensively, but hadn't for a few years and didn't pick up EU4 until a few months ago, so it was a lot like starting over. My normal method is to pick one interesting country and play that a number of times until I stop making the really stupid mistakes (and rack up a few relevant achievements), then move on to another country that looks interesting.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Geisladisk posted:

I decided to try to form the HRE (again), and so far it is one of my most entertaining games yet.

I'm Austria, I've done all the usual Austria early game stuff (PU'd Hungary and Bohemia, beaten Venice up for their lunch money a couple of times), when my heir suddenly dies. No big deal, my Emperor is only 40 and his wife is 32, they're bound to knock out a Emperorling sooner or later. Nope, the next loving month my 40 year old Emperor dies. Because I have no heir, I can't be elected Emperor, so loving Hesse becomes Emperor. My new leader is some 1/2/1 dipshit from a family I've never heard of, I am now 20 over my force limit, and some no-name OPM is Emperor of the loving HRE. I'm mad as hell.

I consider just no-CBing Hesse, vassalizing them, and forcing a re-election, but my legitimacy is now so low thanks to my bungled succession that only Bohemia, my minor partner, will vote for me, despite good relations with all the electors. I decide to just wait until the Emperor dies, at which point my Legitimacy will have healed, and I'll easily win the election. About two months later, the Emperor dies, and Hesse is re-elected - And a loving 18 year old is crowned Emperor. I've got no time for that.

I've had enough of this Hessian Emperor bullshit. I no-CB the Pallatine and Saxony, and Vassalize them. I've now got three Electors in my pocket. I then no-CB Hesse, and vassalize them. A election is held, and my incompetent 1/2/1 dipshit is crowned Emperor (short may he reign). Of course, all of this no-CBing means that the entire HRE, as well as a few Italian states, form a giant coalition against me. I misjudged their strength horribly - I believed that the combined strength of Austria and my partners, as well as my allies in Poland and Castille would be enough to deter them from declaring on me.

Nope. The coalition attacks me. Half of Europe is now at war with the other half. A couple of battles hit 100 thousand troops per side, which is by far the largest I've seen in the 15h Century. I eventually lose, and am forced to release Styria and two other OPMs in the Balkans.

But, I'm Emperor again. And I still have unions with Bohemia and Hungary. And all it cost was a couple of hundred thousand dead soldiers and a few illegitimate wars.

To be honest that is solid roleplaying of a complete dipshit who had no right or skills to be Emperor throwing a fit because everyone realized how worthless he was and didn't hand him the throne.

Long may he reign!!!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So independent of Cradle of Civ: which country does the game's "meta" currently favor for being best to form Scandinavia? I remember back in the day it used to be Sweden, but did it swing back to Denmark?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Drone posted:

Unfortunately I can't really recommend any specific EU4 Youtubers, as they all have their ups and downs

florryworry and siuking are both super good at the game but they're problematic

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Florryworry is highly entertaining but the way he plays is not new player friendly.

Budgetmonk119 has some good guides on opening moves for some harder to play nations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah florry is less "how do i make a claim to avoid no cb wars" and more "how do i exploit the only event in the game that changes government to steppe horde to get a horde United States"

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Florryworry is highly entertaining but the way he plays is not new player friendly.

He's got some pretty good hats and stuff, though.

And also, one of the main attractions of Paradox games has always been finding (or watching other people find) weird exploits and loopholes to make completely idiotic things happen to world history.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
I think for my first real CoC game I'm going to try the good old Ottomans and see how much more challenging they've been made.

Then after that, an honest Byzantium run? I've been seeing reports of AI Byzantium surviving in the wild so it must be more feasible again to do so as a player. (Yes, I've succeeded at pulling off the Negroponte/Corfu trap strategy in the previous version and that's fun enough, but.)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Groke posted:

I think for my first real CoC game I'm going to try the good old Ottomans and see how much more challenging they've been made.

Then after that, an honest Byzantium run? I've been seeing reports of AI Byzantium surviving in the wild so it must be more feasible again to do so as a player. (Yes, I've succeeded at pulling off the Negroponte/Corfu trap strategy in the previous version and that's fun enough, but.)

I am doing an Ottomans ironman run too. In 1445 Poland chose to appoint a local noble instead.

:getin:

Also expanding towards the middle East isn't a piece of cake anymore. Not hard of course, but not having free cores (and a big strong mamluks) slows you down a lot in the beginning with AE, rebels and admin costs

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 17, 2017

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My first CoC run is with the Mamluks and so far the Ottomans are not pushovers at all. They seem to pump enormous amounts of monarch points in developing provinces while maintaining tech parity with the rest of the world.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Drone posted:

So independent of Cradle of Civ: which country does the game's "meta" currently favor for being best to form Scandinavia? I remember back in the day it used to be Sweden, but did it swing back to Denmark?

In my latest games Denmark's had no trouble hanging onto Sweden and Norway, so uh, them I guess?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Drone posted:

Probably Denmark. There was a patch a while back focused specifically on buffing Denmark, and there are plenty of options available to keep Norway and Sweden's liberty desire under control until you can integrate them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gort posted:

In my latest games Denmark's had no trouble hanging onto Sweden and Norway, so uh, them I guess?

Probably still Sweden, since even the AI routinely pulls it off.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I would say that it is probably a tossup. Sweden has great ideas and events, but Denmark -as already mentioned- got buffed and has a first age Denmark only bonus that gives them Subject Liberty Desire reduction.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

TorakFade posted:

I am doing an Ottomans ironman run too. In 1445 Poland chose to appoint a local noble instead.

Well, that was helpful of them.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
My current England game is pretty fun regarding Scandinavia. Sweden is big, bossy and strong, and Denmark has been eaten by Holstein.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Groke posted:

Well, that was helpful of them.

Yeah me and Muscovy will make sure to send baskets of flowers and chocolates to thank them.

Our stacks of 30k angry soldiers will be carrying the baskets, nothing to be alarmed about, it's tradition

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
So Timurids apparently went from being a weird horde without a steppe to a proper kingdom with tons of unhappy subjects. the Denmark of asia minor, you could say.

Any obvious strats for it now? Since we don't need to rush desperately to form Mughals (and indian provinces are out of coring reach at first), I guess snacking toward Qara Qonlyu while you integrate a couple of vassals is the way. They are all pretty unruly, though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I spent literally all my game playing time yesterday trying to decide which state would be the most fun to use to form a Shia powerhouse and I'm still not really decided (I did spend most of that time playing but it was just testing various starting scenarios and poking around at new fun stuff)

I really wanted to try an Ayyubid Persia game but gently caress that start is RNG as hell and I can't be bothered with that poo poo. Rassids are a fun start but Yemen is a bit of a boxed in region and having to deal with all the assholes on the other side of the Red Sea is a nuisance. Most of the states in the Azerbaijan / Caspian region are weak and have fairly rubbish rulers. I think I'm probably settling with Mazandaran for a few reasons (good school, good income, young monarch with high stats) but it's taken a while to get this far.

I definitely want to do a Shia Rum game at some point, though; most likely as Dulkadir. I would imagine it's going to suck complete rear end diplomatically, but OTOH QQ will probably be nice to you after you convert. Having to take on the OE and/or Mamluks without the other one giving assistance will be an interesting experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sephyr posted:

So Timurids apparently went from being a weird horde without a steppe to a proper kingdom with tons of unhappy subjects. the Denmark of asia minor, you could say.
Christian IV of Denmark should have been our Babur. :(