Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
With my history of buying every bundle I see I think I can find some keys to contribute :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I realized I don't know anything about Tangledeep (except that it's goon made). What is its gameplay like? How long is it? Does it have a quest system? I love the chrono trigger aesthetic, if it plays well I've check it out.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Happylisk posted:

I realized I don't know anything about Tangledeep (except that it's goon made). What is its gameplay like? How long is it? Does it have a quest system? I love the chrono trigger aesthetic, if it plays well I've check it out.

It plays like a sproggiwood with ff5s class system, a more standard rpg equipment/consumable system and randomly generated quests.

E: actually the gameplay feels very much like a hybrid between dmans and sproggiwood.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 16, 2017

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Klaus Kinski posted:

It plays like a sproggiwood with ff5s class system, a more standard rpg equipment/consumable system and randomly generated quests.
Much love to Sproggiwood, but the combat in Tangledeep is a bit more complex.

The game is playable start to finish right now but the ending isn't fully implemented. What you can do outside of the main quest is pretty dense, there's a lot of ways to improve your gear through item dungeons, and there's also a monster ranch.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

:siren:ALART: Everbody's* Favorite* roguelike themed hunger relief charity is back for 2017:siren:

Stop the Hunger Clock

:toot:

I have ~50 keys from various bundles that I'll never use, I'll see about getting them to you this weekend.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Threw a few keys your way. I'll dump some more when I can verify they are unused because humble is in that show-redeemed-keys-as-unredeemed mood again.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I get the distinct impression that you have a lot more people who would like to give you games to give away, then you have people who would like to receive games in exchange for donating to charity. Maybe the charity should be "Give $10 to food relief, and I'll take game keys off your hands." :v:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

madjackmcmad posted:

:siren:ALART: Everbody's* Favorite* roguelike themed hunger relief charity is back for 2017:siren:

You should probably put this in the monthly chat thread to get more eyes on it. I was going to cross post it but I don't want to step on your toes. It sounds like a cool way to be charitable.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I'd love to contribute, but I'm far more on the recipient side of charity, and money's been so tight that I literally do not currently own $10. I do make some space for Humble Monthly, so I do have some keys laying around I could put towards the sale. I'll email 'em... sometime soon. When I feel like it.

(haha yes I spent money on a SomethingAwful forums account even though I live in poverty, it was a great value for the money)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

John Lee posted:

(haha yes I spent money on a SomethingAwful forums account even though I live in poverty, it was a great value for the money)

Everyone needs to spend some amount of time/money on self-care, or else they'll literally go insane.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Don't I know it, man.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

No joke, the 20$ I spent on an account here and archives have been the best value for any money I've spent. Hours and hours of time spent reading posts here in various subforums, engaging with the community, and people helping me get into games/hobbies/exercise...

I don't precisely remember why my teenage self wanted to spend 20$ here (aside from reading more LPs) but it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. No regrets.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Looking at the internet now, I am pretty sure coming here in 2002 and buying in 2003 was one of the absolute best ideas I've had

Looked at Reddit, looked at 4chan, looked at Facebook, looked at Twitter, looked at it all and walked away fast because holy gently caress I already had the best, why bother with the rest

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

LawfulWaffle posted:

I lost my first "serious" run of ToME a few hours ago. I spent 3 lives in rapid succession while I was surrounded in the Dreadkeep(sp?) after breaking into the vault and lost my last life on the next floor to some bad positioning a burn damage. I kept thinking I was close enough to the boss but the tower kept on going. As frustrating as it was to lose my level 17 Bulwark, seeing the list of classes I had unlocked laid out for me was nice.

Too bad I never got a chance to send any one to the anti-magic town. I ran into three while in the keep but they couldn't stay out of danger long enough to escape.

You made 2 errors: 1 is opening Dreadfell vaults, and 2 is playing a Bulwark. Bulwarks are a problem as they're decent vs melee damage but very poor vs magic, and so you can easily get lured into a false sense of security and then get deleted by a lightning bolt. However they have quite simple talents and are basically impossible to build badly so they're good as a newbie class, compared to something like Rogue which is powerful but very difficult to play and build early.

If you want an easy win I'd recommend an Archer. I developed them for the last patch but screwed up the balancing so they're hilariously overtuned. Once you get core talents up and running you have:

- About a flat 30% chance to ignore melee hits and counterattack with a bow shot
- A 5 turn silence/disarm that disables any mob that doesn't use mental or nature attacks
- Multiple escapes, status immunities and passive defenses
- Sentinel, a unique talent that straight up cancels the next talent the mob uses and puts a bunch of it's talents on cooldown
- Range/sight of 13, so you can snipe mobs from offscreen
- Tons of utility shots like a flare that blinds and removes stealth/invis, poison shots, stunning shots, knockback shots, pinning shots, dispelling shots...
- The highest ranged damage of any class, and probably the highest damage period behind a few melee classes

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

No joke, the 20$ I spent on an account here and archives have been the best value for any money I've spent. Hours and hours of time spent reading posts here in various subforums, engaging with the community, and people helping me get into games/hobbies/exercise...

I don't precisely remember why my teenage self wanted to spend 20$ here (aside from reading more LPs) but it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. No regrets.

I paid for the crawl thread. It went behind a paywall and I wanted to keep reading. I think my first few years I only posted a bit in games, a bunch in E/N, and a lot in YLLS.

I do remember being in a goon channel in an online game back in like 2004 though. Had no idea what lljk meant. Still don’t (or didn’t, I just looked it up).

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

LawfulWaffle posted:

You should probably put this in the monthly chat thread to get more eyes on it. I was going to cross post it but I don't want to step on your toes. It sounds like a cool way to be charitable.

That's excellent advice, and I will do that...

...uh but which one is the monthly chat thread? I have only posted in this thread, Elona, and Dungeonmans for the last like 100 years.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

That's excellent advice, and I will do that...

...uh but which one is the monthly chat thread? I have only posted in this thread, Elona, and Dungeonmans for the last like 100 years.

It changes monthly!

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Oh my god Biskup I don't need half my screen covered because I touched a door

Edit: Also loving spamming pick pockets causing me to sometimes to try and haggle instead since the list only shows skills you can use at the moment so first aid appears/disappears if I take damage while failing to steal anything.

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 17, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Razakai posted:

You made 2 errors: 1 is opening Dreadfell vaults, and 2 is playing a Bulwark. Bulwarks are a problem as they're decent vs melee damage but very poor vs magic, and so you can easily get lured into a false sense of security and then get deleted by a lightning bolt. However they have quite simple talents and are basically impossible to build badly so they're good as a newbie class, compared to something like Rogue which is powerful but very difficult to play and build early.

If you want an easy win I'd recommend an Archer. I developed them for the last patch but screwed up the balancing so they're hilariously overtuned. Once you get core talents up and running you have:

- About a flat 30% chance to ignore melee hits and counterattack with a bow shot
- A 5 turn silence/disarm that disables any mob that doesn't use mental or nature attacks
- Multiple escapes, status immunities and passive defenses
- Sentinel, a unique talent that straight up cancels the next talent the mob uses and puts a bunch of it's talents on cooldown
- Range/sight of 13, so you can snipe mobs from offscreen
- Tons of utility shots like a flare that blinds and removes stealth/invis, poison shots, stunning shots, knockback shots, pinning shots, dispelling shots...
- The highest ranged damage of any class, and probably the highest damage period behind a few melee classes

Thanks for the advice!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Dr. Dos posted:

Oh my god Biskup I don't need half my screen covered because I touched a door

Edit: Also loving spamming pick pockets causing me to sometimes to try and haggle instead since the list only shows skills you can use at the moment so first aid appears/disappears if I take damage while failing to steal anything.

The second you can fairly easily solve by quick marking pickpocket. At least you should be able to, I admit I haven't tried quick marking in the new versions. It could also be stupid and weird.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hah! I got an account because I had a desk job and spent a ton of time on the LP Archive, and wanted access to the fresh stuff.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

John Lee posted:

Hah! I got an account because I had a desk job and spent a ton of time on the LP Archive, and wanted access to the fresh stuff.

Me, it was primarily ResearchIndicates' Trespasser LP and a couple of others. I just wanted to see if it was possible to NOT suck in that horrid piece of crap.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I joined for the bootleg pokemon crystal LP. There's a whole lot of cursing in that particular translation and I was tired of the censor

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I spent my $10 solely because I was mad as hell about Black August' s ADOM game dying and had to know how it would have ended via PMs.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Razakai posted:

I spent my $10 solely because I was mad as hell about Black August' s ADOM game dying and had to know how it would have ended via PMs.

The fact that ADOM 3 is going to be ending this coming summer, after 10 years of work, almost brings me a sense of dread in having to achieve the absolute best in its finale. Discovering Traditional Games here in 2004 after such a horrible roleplaying career before with awful people was unbelievable ambrosia. I mean, I also got into ADOM because of SA, so. This drat site has done a lot for me and to me on this corner of my life.

And thank you for spending that money for them and me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Razakai posted:

:eyepop:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

What is Black August's ADOM game?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

I always thought ADOM had amazing world building and was conceptually cool but the mechanics were brutal. Incidentally, what Black August did, converting the setting into a tabletop rpg, was really, really cool.

which was originally run on our own forumid=103 years and years ago

e- https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2266908

though the tribulations of archives have likely eaten some of the posts, here's where it all began

e2- this is adom 2, a near 4k post game, and like a proper sequel, vastly expands on what had come before and makes it all better https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2764063

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 17, 2017

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I registered for Jerusalem's Total War insanity transplanting Scotland to Egypt. Fascinating how many regs from that sort of just settled in over the years.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

StrixNebulosa posted:

What is Black August's ADOM game?

Captain Foo linked it above, the 2.0 thread. A fascinating read until one of the players threw a tantrum and brought things to an untimely end. Which is when I registered so I could find out what the intended plot and ending would have been.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

It took me forever to go to the forums and buy an account, I feel stupid now for waiting so long. The final motivation was wanting to get into the Conan MMO with some new friends from Gearbox who were all goons.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

John Lee posted:

I'd love to contribute, but I'm far more on the recipient side of charity, and money's been so tight that I literally do not currently own $10. I do make some space for Humble Monthly, so I do have some keys laying around I could put towards the sale. I'll email 'em... sometime soon. When I feel like it.

Amortized over the lifetime of your account, you've paid half a penny a day. Hope it's worth it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I remember joining because of the LP subforum, but I don't remember quite what actually finally spurred me to do it. It might've just been finally being able to afford to.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think for me it was the Lone Wolf LPs. :goleft:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Anyone have examples of 3D turn-based roguelikes that handle height, movement, and LOS nicely?

e: or just any 3d turnbased RLs you like, really

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

taqueso posted:

Anyone have examples of 3D turn-based roguelikes that handle height, movement, and LOS nicely?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw7y4_JDkRM

:v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Honestly the only game I can think of that's vaguely close to those specifications is XCOM.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

taqueso posted:

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned before, but the etrian odyssey format would make for an awesome roguelike.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly the only game I can think of that's vaguely close to those specifications is XCOM.

That seems like a shame, I didn't think those things would be that esoteric. Maybe some 7DRLs that are a sketch of something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I unironically want to play this with the proper enemy graphics.

taqueso posted:

That seems like a shame, I didn't think those things would be that esoteric. Maybe some 7DRLs that are a sketch of something like that?
Old-school XCom is exactly the right kind of finicky and esoteric to match the feeling of playing old roguelikes.