Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The Golden Age of Television box is great and makes me sad live TV drama faded and died so quickly and hasn't really come back. They're 60-year old kinescopes that feel as immediate and unique as breaking news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Time Dissolver posted:

The Golden Age of Television box is great and makes me sad live TV drama faded and died so quickly and hasn't really come back. They're 60-year old kinescopes that feel as immediate and unique as breaking news.

50s television in general is incredible. Shout! Factory released a few sets with all of Ernie Kovacs' surviving shows and specials. He was doing all this crazy experimental stuff on national TV while film-based artists were still on the fringe.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Davros1 posted:

Do they ever do TV shows? I'd love for the BBC versions of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People get their treatment. Especially Smiley's People, since the DVD is horrendous.

A couple of the Ingmar Bergman releases they have are miniseries

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Davros1 posted:

Do they ever do TV shows? I'd love for the BBC versions of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People get their treatment. Especially Smiley's People, since the DVD is horrendous.

Dekalog

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
World on a Wire was a two-part TV movie so that kinda counts

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Are you able to turn subtitles off? I was thinking of getting my parents that for Christmas.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Are you able to turn subtitles off? I was thinking of getting my parents that for Christmas.

They’re Polish?

Subtitles are always removable on Criterion’s releases unless it’s burnt in on the film source like Mysterious Object at Noon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

They’re Polish?

Subtitles are always removable on Criterion’s releases unless it’s burnt in on the film source like Mysterious Object at Noon.

Yeah. They both left Poland a year or two before it was made. And with the current B&N sale, it might be a good Christmas gift.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just wanted to say that the two episodes of The Dick Cavett Show with Katharine Hepburn included on The Philadelphia Story are among the best extras they've included on a release. Hepburn is electrifying in the interview.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I hope they do the same if they ever release Husbands.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Dick Cavett does some great interviews, and he's probably talked to enough people that a fourth of the releases could have it as a supplement.

I like the one where Groucho Marx and Truman Capote dont get along.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I hope they do the same if they ever release Husbands.

They'll probably get Husbands since it's a Sony title. Probably just waiting for them to complete a 4K master.

At this point, Criterion seems to be able to get any title they want as long as it's not already with another label. On the CF.org, someone noted that Warner's current editions of A Clockwork Orange and Excalibur just went OOP.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
In case nobody here has seen it, the Cavett Show episode where Cassavetes, Falk, and Gazzara promote Husbands is basically its own Cassavetes film. They show up drunk, stumble around, babble incoherently, and annoy Cavett so much that at one point he leaves the set. It's on Dailymotion and it's nearly impossible to watch all the way through.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

A Clockwork Orange and Excalibur just went OOP.

:vince:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

honestly criterion's recent focus on more mainstream hollywood stuff is kinda disappointing

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
As long as those sales can subsidize those curios and obscurities that come around every few months, I'm ferr it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Parallax posted:

honestly criterion's recent focus on more mainstream hollywood stuff is kinda disappointing

You say that like I didn’t just buy Stalker a couple months ago

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Parallax posted:

They seem to mix it up really well.

Though, one value of Criterion getting high-profile films like Dr. Strangelove and The Silence of the Lambs is the presentation. Classy packaging, booklets, and no-nonsense discs. You put a disc in the player and it goes straight to the main menu where one press of "play" goes right into the movie.

That's half their value. Not having bullshit like forced trailers, FBI warnings, lovely menu systems, and garbage quality packaging.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Who's going to say no to more Kubrick in the collection anyway?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Who's going to say no to more Kubrick in the collection anyway?
I for one can't wait for the inevitable Flying Padre blu-ray.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

You say that like I didn’t just buy Stalker a couple months ago

Don’t forget that we have unofficial confirmation of things like True Stories, Dersu Uzala and Napoleon.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I really don't care about packaging or books or nice menus and I know they still put out a lot of non-American studio stuff, I just feel like the ratio has shifted as time has gone along. There's other imprints like Arrow which have picked up some of that lapse, but there's still a ton of lesser known poo poo I'm more interested in being readily available than another Kubrick release

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I think part of it comes from popularity - the wider an audience, the less niche releases can be to be feasible - but Arrow isn't really picking up any slack that Criterion is possibly letting off when they're releasing stuff like Basket Case.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Their 2017 output is pretty impressive in terms of variety not even including Blu upgrades.

His Girl Friday
Something Wild (1961)
Fox and His Friends
Black Girl
Cameraperson
The Tree of Wooden Clogs
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Mildred Pierce
The Before Trilogy
45 Years
Canoa
Multiple Maniacs
Being There
Blow-Up
Buena Vista Social Club
Woman of the Year
Tampopo
Rumble Fish
Dheepan
Ghost World
World Cinema Project, Vol. 2
They Live By Night
The Marseille Trilogy
The Lodger
L'argent
Stalker
Lost in America
The Breaking Point
Meantime
La poison
Festival
Certain Women
The Piano Teacher
David Lynch: The Art Life
Othello
The Lure
Barry Lyndon
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
Personal Shopper
The Philadelphia Story
Jabberwocky
Desert Hearts
Election
100 Years of Olympic Films

Plus reissues for Good Morning, Rebecca, Sid & Nancy, Straw Dogs, Jeanne Dielman, Ugetsu, Rossellini's War Trilogy, Hopscotch, Vampyr, Le Samourai, and General Idi Amin Dada.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I, Butthole posted:

Arrow isn't really picking up any slack that Criterion is possibly letting off when they're releasing stuff like Basket Case.

Arrow Academy is absolutely playing in Criterion's ballpark though, and their releases are frequently phenomenal.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Masters of Cinema have some real good stuff over in the UK too. Lots of high quality stuff that should be right up Criterion's alley usually at a decent price and sometimes region free.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Warner's current editions of A Clockwork Orange

Yes please. It could really need the kind of treatment that Barry Lyndon got. I watched ACO not long ago and it barely looks better than a DVD.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

sethsez posted:

Arrow Academy is absolutely playing in Criterion's ballpark though, and their releases are frequently phenomenal.

It looks like there's a lot of cross pollination with titles though - are they the same masters/features?

And I'm never going to not ask for more Kubrick to be given the Criterion go-over.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

It looks like there's a lot of cross pollination with titles though - are they the same masters/features?

I think they usually each have exclusive features. The masters/transfers vary too. Generally, especially the last couple of years, Arrow's BDs have better compression.

An interesting recent example of different transfers is Ermanno Olmi's The Tree of Wooden Clogs. Criterion used the master supplied by Ritrovata which, unsurprisingly, doesn't look very good. It has the typical Ritrovata look of low contrast and wonky colours (the most infamous is their horribly yellow The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly). Arrow were unhappy with the result (just like they were with Ritrovata's work on Deep Red) and did their own colour correction after watching a 35mm vintage print and consulting with Olmi. (To be fair, Criterion also claims that their edition is approved by Olmi.)

The differences are massive, and, I think, all in Arrow's favour. Lots of caps:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/123879/picture:2
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/123878/picture:2
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/123877/picture:3

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Eyes Wide Shut would be one of the best releases from Criterion ever. I bet it would also be one of their best-selling.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I hope on one if the Kubricks they put Stanley Kubrick's Boxes which is basically an episode of hoarders about a severely ocd person

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Criterion is taking questions for Jim Jarmusch through the 8th of December. They've confirmed a release of Dead Man for 2018.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Cloks posted:

Criterion is taking questions for Jim Jarmusch through the 8th of December. They've confirmed a release of Dead Man for 2018.

If I didnt care for Down by Law would I like Dead Man?

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Probably not. But more importantly you should see a therapist.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Steen71 posted:

Probably not. But more importantly you should see a therapist.

My therapist is Michael Cain from Dressed to Kill

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Called it! Sorta!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One last haul: All That Jazz, Videodrome, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I haven't seen Down by Law, but I'm not usually a Jarmusch guy and Dead Man loving rules.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

My therapist is Michael Cain from Dressed to Kill

Oooh. Please never watch the last half hour of that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I like both but they're very different movies. Dead Man is Jarmusch's best, IMO. The bigger question is if you like Westerns.