Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rarity posted:

Joe staying in over Desi makes sense when you realise he's an annoying butthole with an inflated ego who would be great to sit next to FTC

Just like Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zesty posted:

Just like Tony.

Tony was visibly the decision maker all through the merge. So far Joe... is not.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the Joe - Tony comparisons are entirely superficial and don't address actually gameplay. Joe's successfully used an idol to get out Alan. Otherwise he doesn't appear to have done anything gamewise except turn people away from him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Desi interview snippets:

quote:

There were a lot of discussion-worthy things that happened at that Tribal Council, but I need to start with your vote. Where did Lauren come from?!
I thought the Healers were all voting for Lauren. We had a conversation about who we were going to vote for and it was Lauren, Chrissy, or Ashley. We had decided we were all voting for this one person, and then…nobody else voted the way we said. It seems like my vote was super random, but that’s who I was told we were voting for!

So then how did the target shift from Ben to Lauren, considering all the efforts Joe took to throw Ben under the bus to the Hustlers?
I don’t know how we got away from Ben, actually. I think the issue was that Mike didn’t want to vote for Ben; he thought he could bring Ben in. So we went the female route. They’re not showing enough of Lauren, but she was very smart and charming. She’s a lot more likable than the edit she’s getting because she’s hilarious. I could hang out with Lauren all day. I was told to vote to Lauren, and I went with what we agreed upon, and I look like the fool. I promise I was told other people were voting with me!

Outside of that vote, it seemed like an extremely emotional Tribal Council for you. When the tiebreaker votes came in against you, I saw you holding something in. When you were walking out, we heard audible sniffs and those feelings continued in your Final Words. What’s going through your head as these events transpire?
I sort of knew I was causing my own downfall in that moment. I had a very strong inkling that they were splitting the votes between me and Joe. I remember, in my confessional before we went to Tribal, I said, “I know to stay in this game, all I have to do is write down Joe’s name. If I write down Joe’s name, he’s going home, I’m going to stay.” But I also was having a really tough moral battle with the fact that he was the only person I trusted in the game. Everybody else had lied to my face time and time again. He was the only person who was looking me in the face and actually telling me the truth. In that moment, I said to myself, “Do I go with what’s going to keep me in this game for another day, or do I go with what’s going to keep me sane for the rest of my life?” And I just felt if I betrayed the one person I trusted in the game, the one person who was truthful to me, I might not ever trust anyone again. So it became this larger-than-the-game moral battle, and that’s where the tears came from. I know I could keep myself in this game, and I know exactly how to do it, but I can’t bring myself to do that one thing.

TLDR: people told Desi the vote was gonna go Lauren, and she thought about voting Joe to save herself but felt loyalty to him and felt squicky about betraying someone.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Desi interview snippets:

TLDR: people told Desi the vote was gonna go Lauren, and she thought about voting Joe to save herself but felt loyalty to him and felt squicky about betraying someone.

You go with what keeps you in the game one more day because loyalties can turn on a dime, you scrub.

e:Desi is the scrub, not you ApplesandOranges

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Interesting that she says that Lauren is actually even better than what we're getting on the show, because I already liked her a lot.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I want impressed by her pre-game stuff, not because lunch lady Denise or anything, she just seemed like a nicelady but not too savvy. She's made missteps like the weird redhead comment with Patrick, but she's got a great sense of social awareness.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spergatory posted:

Interesting that she says that Lauren is actually even better than what we're getting on the show, because I already liked her a lot.

I still can't get past her dumb southpark racism earlier on to really like her

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I still can't get past her dumb southpark racism earlier on to really like her

I'm going to do the charitable thing and assume this is sarcasm.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd find it hard for Lauren to win because I think too many of the gamebots will think she's not savvy just by her appearance. Like how Ken/Hannah didn't get any credit, and nobody knew how hard Wentworth was playing til they were actually watching the show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have a tough read on Lauren. She was really out of place in her original tribe but they're all gone besides Ryan and Devon. She seemed to really connect with Mike and Ben and even though Cole annoyed her she actually seemed kind of ok and comfortable with him and Jessica. I thought the way she and Jessica were telling him he had to change his behavior seemed very "close". She could just have a hard time with the kids and do better with the grown ups (Jessica was a kid but seemed more mature than the rest of the younger players). Desi seems more in that mature category so her liking Lauren seems to support that. That could be good for Lauren on a jury assuming she can get someone of Chrissy, JP, and Ashley. But its hard to read with what we've seen.

I don't totally blame Desi for not voting for Joe. Yeah, it maybe would have bought her another tribal and who knows what happens in 3 days but that's a tough call if no one's really filling you in and your only play is to betray the one person who has been loyal to you. Even if you can get past it personally its probably not going to win you any favor with anyone else since you've shown yourself willing to betray your allies. I mean, hindsight being what it is she probably should have done it but I don't blame her that much. Especially if she was so in the dark that she didn't even know who her own allies were supposed to be voting for.

Desi had bad luck with the tribes but ultimately she probably just showed too much too early and made herself too obvious of a threat. Its funny because people see a smart, physical guy who wins comps, seems pleasant, and makes a lot of sense at tribal and they see them as huge threats. Desi did all that. The tribe seemed to recognize her as a threat even if viewers didn't necessarily. I was thinking the whole Tribal with the way she was talking and really showing how aware she was was probably the final nail in her coffin.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm actually not sure when the trend has been that winning immunities pre-merge is now a bad thing. Even earlier seasons like Tocatins and Philippines the fracture of the dominant tribe was more due to inter-tribe conflicts than anything.

I mean part of it is because of the three-tribe format, but I can't remember off the top of my head the last season where the dominant tribe going into a merge actually pulling off a Pagoning (or close to it).

I'm a bit sad that this season has been axing off so many girls that showed such promise from pre-game press (Ali, Roark, Desi). Chrissy and Lauren are still surprisingly competent, but most of the guys left aren't that impressive.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 17, 2017

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah it's pretty notable that there's only three women left, and only one of them has any real prominence in the game

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Spergatory posted:

You guys are loving crazy, this season is great. Comedy, drama, and a perfect mixture of actual smart people and amazing idiots.

This. It's a cool season so far. I find myself either liking for whatever reason (including Cole for his pure foolishness), or at least being indifferent toward, everybody left. Its nice that there's nobody overtly dislikable. Chrissy is probably an arrogant move away from that category, though, at least for me. She reaaaaaally needs to stop whispering to alliance members when other people are a foot or two away, jeez.

I get the sense that Ryan/Chrissy supremacy is being set up for an eventual collapse, as they're now being given a bit of an edit similar to Tyler/Mama C from Worlds Apart. I was very low on Lauren last week, but could now see her and somebody like Mike being in the right place at the right time when the core Hero/Hustler alliance starts eating itself and having a real chance at the end.

The question is, how would that process begin? As much as they appear to dislike eachother, Ben and Joe/Cole are gonna have to put their machismo aside and start working together because that's their best shot at survival. There's no way any of them make it past the Chrissy/Ryan/Ashley/JP foursome otherwise. So, those 3 need would need to get it together, bring in Mike and Lauren, and flip the balance of power at the next tribal using Lauren's advantage. Or, they could try and pry Devon away by convincing him he's the bottom of that 5, but I sort of doubt that happens.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 17, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nothing says that Ashley/JP are glued to Chrissy/Ryan; we just haven't heard anything from them since the merge. If Ben can swing them, then it's Ben/Lauren/Mike/Ashley/JP. They don't even necessarily need Joe/Cole.

Honestly, keeping Chrissy/Ryan right now isn't necessarily a bad thing until they start going after Ben; Chrissy's pretty unlikable (she's definitely not getting Desi's vote from exit press). I feel like Ryan will have to cut Chrissy eventually since her threat level might be more of a liability sooner or later. Either she turns on Ryan, or people will vote for Ryan to weaken Chrissy.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nothing says that Ashley/JP are glued to Chrissy/Ryan; we just haven't heard anything from them since the merge.

There's been nothing to indicate that Ben has any pull over Ashley/JP. They didn't even really work together while on the original Hero tribe. Conversely, there's a strong history of various combinations amongst the Chrissy-Ryan-Devon-Ashley-JP unit working and voting together since day 1. I'd put my money on that group staying strong instead of Ashley and JP randomly starting to work with the healers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ben was working with Ashley and JP early on before Alan blew it up, then he shifted to Chrissy and Ashley but wanted JP out. That was all a long time ago though so it might not mean anything even though the original tribes ended up back together.

Ryan and Chrissy wanted JP out once already because they saw him as a huge post merge threat out so you gotta assume that's going to come up again real soon. Devon and Ashley seemed to get close but Devon might end up stuck in the middle. And Ashley and JP started distancing themselves from each other after Alan called them out so they might not be as secure a duo as Cole and Jessica were.

It all seems very tangled and I don't know that we can really predict who will side with who. Although I remain a bit pessimistic about pagonging and the most boring way it could probably go is for Ryan, Chrissy, Devon, Ben, Lauren, and Mike just picking off JP and Ashley after they take out Cole and Joe. It gets worse if Mike can't work his way into the group.

That's definitely my fear for like a month+ of pretty boring gameplay so I'm hoping that big group starts getting cocky and overplaying and turn on each other. Lets Zeke this up!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Propaganda Machine posted:

She's made missteps like the weird redhead comment with Patrick, but she's got a great sense of social awareness.

Uhh. No? You just explained why she doesn’t have a great sense of social awareness.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Ryan and Chrissy wanted JP out once already because they saw him as a huge post merge threat out so you gotta assume that's going to come up again real soon.

I feel like this was not really that big of an issue, and was moreso just editors showing the two power players going through their only options to curry suspense before an obvious vote.

I mean, they'll be candidates to be picked off eventually just by virtue of being friendly enough people who haven't ruffled any feathers, but for now, the likelihood of them getting targeted (as well as of them organizing any sort of coup) is pretty low.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 17, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not saying they have a vendetta against him or anything but the reasons they saw that JP was a threat they needed to get out are still there so they're going to come up sooner or later. Ryan has Devon and Chrissy has Ben now so the need for JP goes down with each week and those reasons become bigger "lets get him out before he can go on an immunity run" whispers, you'd think.

Cole is probably JP's best shield right now and Joe might follow but after that? Maybe Ben's a target or maybe Chrissy or Ryan overplay and make themselves one but JP seems like the next logical option, especially if Ashley and him are considered a duo. I could see that happening before Joe even, and if he's half as smart as he thinks he is he should probably be working that angle.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Those are fair points, but letting the most well liked player left (Mike) and the player with the most compelling narrative (Ben) make it through so you can take out the non-strategic immunity threat is risky as hell. My guess is those two (plus Cole) go before JP does.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There's so many Survivors that it doesn't really feel like one I'd call great but it's good. Gameplay isn't great but I've gotten used to that in new player seasons and there's no one who makes me want to turn the TV off. Like Cole is a moron but he's not THAT douchey and Joe fighting for Desi won me over (even though it's his fault that she got into trouble to begin with).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can definitely see Ben being targeted before JP but the Chrissy connection plus his relationships with Lauren and Mike give him some security. And Ryan can't make the move without Chrissy or risk losing her. It's definitely possible they make the move but Ben's got a fair bit of protection there.

Mike has less protection but I'm not sure I see him getting seen as a threat this early. Even if he is seen as a big jury threat he's probably not a big immunity threat. And this seems like a tribe that generally gets along so one person might not stand out as a well liked jury threat alone.

Who knows? But JP and Ashley seem like an obvious traditional target so it seems like it could just go naturally that way if no one gets too backstabby early.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 17, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm not sure the tribe gets along that well. Ben can't stand Cole and Lauren/Mike don't like him either. Joe freaks everyone out. Desi at least couldn't stand Chrissy (from exit press).

The tribe doesn't seem nearly as bad as Worlds Apart but there's a lot of fragmentation.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

Uhh. No? You just explained why she doesn’t have a great sense of social awareness.

Cool strawman, nice work.

I meant gamewise. She's smart and perceptive enough to have a reliably decent read on her current situations and predicaments.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
I, for one, am bitterly disappointed that we didn't get to see Ryan and Chrissy pull off the ultimate heist by replacing the buried immunity idol with Chrissy's spent super idol from the first tribal. What we got was fun, but that there was an opportunity missed.

I meant gamewise. She's smart and perceptive enough to have a reliably decent read on her current situations and predicaments.

Perceptive enough to leave herself and her closest ally, Ben, vulnerable at tribal by greedily chasing her advantage. It's unclear what information she had on hand, but based on what we were presented Lauren's vote would have been crucial if Mike/Cole had stayed Healer-strong and voted as four with Desi and Joe.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cool strawman, nice work.

Strawman? What are you talking about? She made a bigoted remark in front of everyone (which you acknowledged) and then you said she had a great sense of social awareness. Those two statements don’t jive.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 17, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If she can make a "bigoted" remark knowing that no one on her tribe will give a poo poo (which they very clearly didn't and still don't) then yeah, she's pretty loving perceptive.

And she had to use her advantage this vote or it went away. She knew it might potentially mess things up, which is why she went to Ben to talk it over and they got the Healers to mess up their own vote. And since it totally worked and she got away with it scot-free with zero negative consequences to her or her allies, I guess you can chalk that up as another correct read on her part.

Are we honestly at the point where we are labeling redheads as a persecuted minority? Like have we really reached that place as a society?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Spergatory posted:

If she can make a "bigoted" remark knowing that no one on her tribe will give a poo poo (which they very clearly didn't and still don't) then yeah, she's pretty loving perceptive.

[...]

Are we honestly at the point where we are labeling redheads as a persecuted minority? Like have we really reached that place as a society?

Yeah? Born with it. Nothing he can do about it. Guess we’re just allowed to say he’s a natural liar because it’s not as stigmatized as being bigoted against other genetic features.

And what do you mean they don’t care that she said it? Let’s see her win the game and then you can say they didn’t care. No reason to vote her out when she’s not going to win any immunities or be able to get people to like her enough to vote for her to win.

It’s pretty irrelevant right now that she sucks. No reason to show us that people just don’t care for her.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 17, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Persecution is systematic discrimination. It is not the mean things that little kids say to each other at recess. If you honest-to-God think that something as silly as "redheads are liars" counts as actual discrimination, then I don't know what to say to you. You're pretty much beyond help and I wish you luck in life.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spergatory posted:

Persecution is systematic discrimination. It is not the mean things that little kids say to each other at recess. If you honest-to-God think that something as silly as "redheads are liars" counts as actual discrimination, then I don't know what to say to you. You're pretty much beyond help and I wish you luck in life.

Two things.

Even if it doesn't rise to whatever arbitrary line you think we're allowed to be offended if it crossed, it made her look like a stupid rear end in a top hat that quotes Cartman unironically.

Kids actually and literally do get bullied and mistreated for being ginger with that given as the stated reason. Many end up with some level of psychological damage due to it. Seeing an adult perpetuate it is disgusting even if there's not a ginger holocaust going on.

If you have so little self awareness that you'd say something like that on national TV I'm allowed to dislike you personally.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spergatory posted:

Sure, redheads are not a seriously disadvantaged minority. They'll be fine, more or less. But if you don't think Lauren was being discriminatory toward Patrick then do you even know what the word means? It was humorously bizarre to see her say that stuff and mean it, but she did.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 17, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I have never once in my life been tempted to use the term "snowflake" unironically until today, so thanks for pushing me into the dark side, I guess.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I mean i don't give a gently caress about like anti-redhead bigotry because that's mostly a joke, obviously. But it's also clear that Lauren herself, personally, is prejudiced against them for some absurd reason. To me that was a funny thing because it's so ridiculous, but it was still a bad look for her.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I dislike Lauren solely due to the episode where she repeated "I played centerfield for 30 years" roughly 100 times.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Shocking that the person with the ablest slur in their username doesn't think anyone is harmed by bigotry unless they are literally exterminated or enslaved.

Kids commit suicide over this poo poo. It's not even close to being the biggest problem facing the world but that doesn't mean you can't care about it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I dislike Lauren solely due to the episode where she repeated "I played centerfield for 30 years" roughly 100 times.

For a purported sports genius, why do you hate sports so much?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Spergatory is where I live, man. :shrug: I'm sorry that you are bound and determined to be offended by every single thing but I am a sperg and I think portmanteaus are funny.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah, we get slurs don’t bother you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spergatory posted:

portmanteaus are funny

They are, it's true.

Disliking casual slurs is different than being offended by them. I know they cause real harm in the world so I try to refrain. It really is that simple.

• Locked thread