Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

Brown Paper Bag posted:

UFC 213 is up. Romero and Whittaker is worth another watch, as our some of the prelims.

i just rewatched Romero/Whittaker last night. between rd 2 & 3 Bob's corner says to him push kicks no more turn kicks, ignore the leg injury and move forward, punch him in the face, and come on strong at the beginning of the round. and then he went out and did all those things. it was pretty rad. Romero couldn't do anything about the push kicks. any time he tried to grab him, Bob just shucked him off easily. and then Yoel really started slowing down.

also rewatched Browne/Oleinik. so fun to watch Browne try to throw laboured knees in the clinch after Oleinik tore up his body with dozens of huge punches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Whittaker's game planning and adaptation are insanely good, and his cornermen are a big part of that.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He's got Guts.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This weekend is a good weekend if you enjoy Fight Pass.

First up there's Glory: SuperFight Series 44 Fri, Aug 25, 2017 8:00PM ET
https://www.ufc.tv/video/glory-44-superfight-series

Women's Super Bantamweight 55 kg - Tiffany van Soest (c) vs. Funda Alkayis (Glory Women's Super Bantamweight Championship)
Heavyweight 120 kg - Cătălin Moroșanu vs. Michał Turyński
Middleweight 85 kg - Dustin Jacoby vs. Sean Choice
Middleweight 85 kg - Warren Thompson vs. Robert Thomas
Lightweight 70 kg - Rafał Dudek vs. Nate Richardson
Featherweight 66 kg - Victor Pinto vs. Adrian Maxim

Then of course there is the Mayweather vs McGregor fight on digital PPV on UFC.TV for $35 on Sat, Aug 26, 2017 9:00PM ET
https://www.ufc.tv/video/mayweather-vs-mcgregor

Super welterweight (154 lbs.) - Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor
Junior lightweight (130 lbs.) - Gervonta Davis (c) vs. Francisco Fonseca (for the IBF Junior Lightweight Title)
Light heavyweight (175 lbs.) - Nathan Cleverly (c) vs. Badou Jack (For the WBA Regular Light Heavyweight Title)
Cruiserweight (200 lbs.) - Andrew Tabiti vs. Steve Cunningham (Vacant USBA Cruiserweight Title)

There is also the playlist they made called The Sweet Science of some MMA fights showcasing exceptional boxing during a fight.
https://www.ufc.tv/category/the-sweet-science

20/20 also added McGregor vs Diaz 2 - https://www.ufc.tv/video/twenty-20-mcgregor-vs-diaz-2

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 25, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Really? $35? That can't be right or apply to all regions....

e. says 99.95 for me

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Really? $35? That can't be right or apply to all regions....

e. says 99.95 for me

Says $35 for me in my region.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pricing is varying depending on if its primetime I think, fights at like 5am here so its €25ish . Think its all of £15 in Britain.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Getting this week's update in a bit early. Here are the Fight Pass events this week.

Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series - Tue, Aug 29, 2017 8:00PM ET
Snoopcast - https://www.ufc.tv/video/dana-whites-tuesday-night-contender-series---snoopcast-week-8
Regular - https://www.ufc.tv/video/dwtncs-week-8-2017

This is also the last episode of the season for Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series.

Invicta FC 25: Pa’aluhi vs Kunitskaya - Thu, Aug 31, 2017 9:00PM ET
https://www.ufc.tv/video/invicta-fc-25

Bantamweight Championship (Vacant) - Yana Kunitskaya vs. Raquel Pa'aluhi
Strawweight - Livia Renata Souza vs. Janaisa Morandin
Bantamweight - Alexa Conners vs. Katharina Lehner
Strawweight - Sharon Jacobson vs. Kali Robbins
Atomweight - Alyse Anderson vs. Shino VanHoose
Bantamweight - Amberlynn Orr vs. Sarah Kleczka
Bantamweight - Yaya Rincon vs. Courtney King
Flyweight - Cheri Muraski vs. Tracy Cortez
Atomweight - Ashley Medina vs. Jillian DeCoursey

UFC Fight Night: Volkov vs Struve - Sat, Sep 2, 2017 3:00PM ET
https://www.ufc.tv/video/ufc-rotterdam-2017

Heavyweight - Alexander Volkov vs. Stefan Struve
Women's Bantamweight - Marion Reneau vs. TBA
Middleweight - Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Rob Wilkinson
Welterweight - Leon Edwards vs. Bryan Barberena
Welterweight - Darren Till vs. Bojan Veličković
Lightweight - Mairbek Taisumov vs. Felipe Silva
Lightweight - Michel Prazeres vs. Mads Burnell
Lightweight - Rustam Khabilov vs. Desmond Green
Light Heavyweight - Francimar Barroso vs. Aleksandar Rakić
Light Heavyweight - Bojan Mihajlović vs. Abdul-Kerim Edilov

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you ordered the Mayweather/McGregor fight on UFC.TV you may end up getting a refund because that is what happened to me. No clue why as the stream was perfect on my end aside from like 3 times it stuttered during the introductions of the fighters.

So keep an eye out on that I guess.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

What fight was the "break through" for Houston Alexander? I've been drawing a blank on that for a solid month.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He KO'd Keith Jardine in his first UFC fight but I remember his next match after that with Alessio Sakara making everyone I knew go "OH poo poo HE'S FUN TO WATCH"

That may or may not have been the fight where Sakara rubbed blood from his head onto the referee so he could see when the referee checked him during one of the rounds.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Unfunny Poster posted:

He KO'd Keith Jardine in his first UFC fight but I remember his next match after that with Alessio Sakara making everyone I knew go "OH poo poo HE'S FUN TO WATCH"

That may or may not have been the fight where Sakara rubbed blood from his head onto the referee so he could see when the referee checked him during one of the rounds.

I'm thinking of whichever fight he stormed around the ring afterwards and looked like he was about to kill everyone ever.

So probably both of those.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He only had 4 fights in the UFC before being cut if I remember, then he came back for the greatest Heavyweight fight ever in UFC against Kimbo.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Unfunny Poster posted:

He only had 4 fights in the UFC before being cut if I remember, then he came back for the greatest Heavyweight fight ever in UFC against Kimbo.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't see how you don't find that exhilirating.

Also

quote:

Dear Customer,

We apologize for the technical difficulties that you experienced Saturday night on UFC.TV.

You have been issued a full refund for your purchase. Please allow a few business days for your bank to process the funds into your account.

Thank you for your patience,

UFC.TV Customer Support

Mayweather/McGregor was fully refunded being perfectly fine on my end.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't see how you don't find that exhilirating.

Also

Mayweather/McGregor was fully refunded being perfectly fine on my end.

Was it a hundred bucks for you? These threads made me realise people around the world won't pay one hundred bucks to watch a fight at eight am.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was $35 to watch it via UFC.tv in South Korea. A lot of bars used it to show the fight and people I was texting said the bars couldn't log in for a while due to traffic load.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fightography is doing a series on Cat Zingano starting September 7, 2017 she appears to be talking about everything from her husband's suicide, knee reconstruction etc.

Should be good.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Which Shogun fights should I watch? He was out of his prime when I started following MMA seriously and I'd like to get a feel for who he is as a fighter.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

FishBowlRobot posted:

Which Shogun fights should I watch? He was out of his prime when I started following MMA seriously and I'd like to get a feel for who he is as a fighter.

All the 2005 GP fights (Rampage, lil' Nog, Overeem, Arona)

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Watch his PRIDE grand prix run.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Fat Twitter Man posted:

All the 2005 GP fights (Rampage, lil' Nog, Overeem, Arona)

agree. young shogun was magnificent.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
obviously also Machida v Shogun both fights. In the UFC after forrest crushed him he developed his power punching and became a much different fighter,. his knees dissipated into the ether sometime between 2006-2007 so there was some ugliness there until about 2009 when he started getting a lot of KOs. before he always volume TKO'd guys.

v Coleman both eras to see him get manhandled

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been on vacation so haven't posted much updates BUT this Saturday live from China, GLORY is doing a fight between HW Champ Rico Verhoeven and Antonio Big Foot Silva on Fight Pass.

https://youtu.be/epeDrDxJUBI

I'll try to add the link if I can find a way to get it on my phone.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Unfunny Poster posted:

I've been on vacation so haven't posted much updates BUT this Saturday live from China, GLORY is doing a fight between HW Champ Rico Verhoeven and Antonio Big Foot Silva on Fight Pass.

https://youtu.be/epeDrDxJUBI

I'll try to add the link if I can find a way to get it on my phone.

No snuff footage. :colbert:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
There is nothing else on, so I will watch this, but this definitely lowers my enthusiasm for a sport that is pretty much completely reprehensible.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

In shocking news Rico won by TKO early in the 2nd

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How sad was it?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

The ref stopped it before it could get really grim thankfully

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

This seems like the best bet for a thread to ask in. Anyone remember which fight had Brian Ebersole I think first toughing out a guillotine attempt for a long while and then keep sticking his neck out for a guillotine to the point that his gassed opponent refused to go for it any longer because it was obviously impossible to choke Ebersole. Thanks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bushmeister posted:

This seems like the best bet for a thread to ask in. Anyone remember which fight had Brian Ebersole I think first toughing out a guillotine attempt for a long while and then keep sticking his neck out for a guillotine to the point that his gassed opponent refused to go for it any longer because it was obviously impossible to choke Ebersole. Thanks.

I think it was Chris Lytle or Claude Patrick.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It was Lytle.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Excellent, many thanks to you both. I am off to watch a man be terribly, terribly confused about not winning a fight when by all accounts they should have.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am done traveling so here's the weekly "Events Post"

GLORY 47 SuperFight Series - Sat, Oct 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
https://www.ufc.tv/video/glory-47-superfight-series

Featherweight 65 kg - Dylan Salvador vs. Massaro Glunder
Super Bantamweight 55 kg - Anissa Meksen vs. Funda Alkayis
Middleweight 84 kg - Ahaggan Yassine vs. Maxim Vorovski
Welterweight 77 kg - Jimmy Vienot vs. Alim Nabiev
Light Heavyweight 95 kg - Abdarhmane Coulibaly vs. Florent Kaouachi

Cage Warriors 88: Fishgold vs Jacobsen - Sat, Oct 28, 2017 4:00PM ET
https://www.ufc.tv/video/cage-warriors-88

Chris Fishgold (c) vs. Alexander Jacobsen – for lightweight title
Lee Chadwick vs. Victor Cheng – for vacant middleweight title
Paddy Pimblett vs. Vlado Sikic
Molly McCann vs. Priscila de Souza
Soren Bak vs. Martin Stapleton
Paull McBain vs. Sam Spencer
Perry Andre Goodwin vs. Jack Grant
Josh McManus vs. Mick Stanton
Jack Della Maddalena vs. James Duckett

UFC Fight Night: Brunson vs Machida (Prelims) - Sat, Oct 28, 2017 10:00PM ET
https://www.ufc.tv/video/ufc-sao-paulo-2017

Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Lightweight - Hacran Dias vs. Jared Gordon
Flyweight - Deiveson Figueiredo vs. Jarred Brooks
Heavyweight - Christian Colombo vs. Marcelo Golm

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
Recently I've wanted a feature where a fighter's single fight vids would be displayed in correct chronological order, and without any of the other videos (interviews etc) showing so I don't get spoilers/indications, allowing me to go on a journey through the timeline of a fighter's career. Also it would be nice to have permanent urls to pages.

So I did what I usually do when I can't get features I want and try to make my own. So I went poking around fightpass and discovered that it directly queries a Solr cluster from the client (this is madness).

You can find out all sorts of things such as how many KO's and Sub's they have on record [INSERT GIANT ASTERISK]

I'm posting this because it might be a source of amusement to some of you but be warned - it's far from actually useful:

[HERE IS THAT ASTERISK]

Some of the errors fall in to "obvious and amusing":

No Chael Sonnen is not a Bantamweight

Speaking of bantamweights, Men's and women's are mixed together when they shouldn't be

These fights take place in the year 3003

That's not how you spell McKenzie

Some of them fall in to "Subtle and infuriating"

This fight is missing it's fight tag, but does have it's title tag

While this one has it's fight tag, but is missing it's title tagging

Although there is a program type categorization, it hasn't been implemented

In fact most of the fields have been inconsistently applied and are in a lot of cases just plain wrong. The url structure seems to have gotten better over time at least, now following a fairly rigid system but generally it's a mess. I've been trying to find ways and to think up algorithms to repair a lot of it but it's hard. Ideally it would be nice to have all videos linked to the correct fighters, linked to events, and categorized by various different types. Unfortunately though everything is so wildly inconsistent there doesn't appear to be any sensible fix. If I can find a way to build better data I'll make a whole range quality of life improvements.

If anyone has any better ideas or is much more versed in Lucene (I've used es before but not that much) than me, and can pull better results, let me know! Otherwise have yourselves a little fun looking up how many KO's Yan Cabral has on fightpass.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With UFC 217 around the corner, and this thread needing a bit more activity, how about this premise for future PPV events?

Post your favorite fight for each of the bigger fights two fighters on the card. Then link to it/discuss it.

This is just an idea I had and wanted to try out.

For 217 let's just stick to the 3 title fights:

Michael Bisping
Georges St. Pierre
Cody Garbrandt
T.J. Dillashaw
Joanna Jędrzejczyk
Rose Namajunas

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
The main event of Pancrase 291 is well worth a watch especially for the ending.

Gold Sexy Body
Nov 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!

Horse Inspector posted:

Pancrase is well worth a watch

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

It's two months until the PPVs are added to Fight Pass, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brown Paper Bag posted:

It's two months until the PPVs are added to Fight Pass, right?

There abouts yeah. 1 month for TUF episodes as well iirc.