Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

David Cage is an outlier of endless bad decisions and should not be counted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Woolie and Matt need to lay off bad games.

Cause you're suggesting prison break and bug island were bad lps

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It depends very much on why and how the game is bad.

Like Tae said, the LP also really needs to have Pat.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Burkion posted:

On the other hand

David Cage

David Cage games hit a sweet spot where they're short enough and are dense enough in stupid poo poo to keep a full LP of mockery going. Omikron was an exception and was legit tough to watch after a while, outside of the moments where the schadenfreude boiled over.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 17, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Omikron lp was art

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That lp would've been garbage without pat because he was the only one that cared after 30 episodes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Omikron was saved by going COMPLETELY off the rails. Not even in an exaggerated sense, the game broke so bad the future of the LP was in doubt. When it was just Super Fuckbois Stumble Around In Omikron it was kinda eh.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah everyone remembers the highs of omikron not the twenty episodes of nothing happening

I don't think the Sonic Forces videos are bad because it's a bad game but because Woolie seems understandably zoned out that means instead of a lot of good bits we get fifteen minutes of Matt trying to figure out how to use a grappling hook because he didn't read a tutorial

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The problem is that the Super Best Friends Zaibatsu is too insular. They need to reach out and get a studio apartment and bring in all their friends from every video game for their birthday to poo poo on something for a couple episodes if they can swing it. Kinda like they're streaming the thing and people pop in and out to fling vitriol EA or Sierra or Gearbox's way.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think Woolie also has a problem any time he's not on sticks of trying to talk about anything but the game and while Liam was happy to go on those trips with him Matt tries to remain somewhat focused so we end up getting two disconnected conversations happening

There's a dozen different occasions in Getting Up where Woolie ends some kind of anecdote, notices Matt's stuck, and tells him to try doing something he's already tried.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

yeah everyone remembers the highs of omikron not the twenty episodes of nothing happening

I don't think the Sonic Forces videos are bad because it's a bad game but because Woolie seems understandably zoned out that means instead of a lot of good bits we get fifteen minutes of Matt trying to figure out how to use a grappling hook because he didn't read a tutorial
Yeah that was sub-Game Grumps level of "This game is beneath me even though I have no clue how to play it". I even checked.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I worry that we might never see another trip to the clawshot chest.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Now that Liam's been gone for a while it's clear they benefited from having someone around with different interests who challenged their opinions and was enthusiastic about new stuff, or at the very least, could pass the bare minimum competency when it comes to, like, pressing buttons and retaining information. The increasing amount of videos with them playing games they don't like, aren't paying attention to and don't understand is embarrassing and I wish they'd come up with something new to renew their enthusiasm or just quit already.

Like Dangan Ronpa and Mega Man: Command Mission?

Could not disagree with you more.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Command Mission actually got better!!! When Liam and Woolie decided gently caress this noise let's talk about how cool MMBN is while actually following a guide for this poo poo, which supports the other Liam claim. It definitely wasn't worse than Getting Up (oh such great heights) for instance. Unleashed was pretty decent until the great SBFP crisis too, it's not like his LPs were ALWAYS bad.

Okay, Danganronpa was a mistake and Astro Boy...I don't even remember that one.

Liam's worst moments were on the podcast, because his optimistic view on garbo anime stuff actually became 20min arguments with Pat or Woolie instead of just positivity over a cool jump or something. On the channel I usually liked his stuff, even though he pushed what were probably the two worst LPs there.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
He was pretty good in other LPs like Star Fox. Reducing him to DR isn't fair, and yeah I'd take 10 Command Missions over another Getting Up.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Sonic adventure lp is great

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Blockhouse posted:

This is what makes the bad game LPs worse. So many occasions where they'll be talking about something unrelated, totally miss a prompt from the game, then complain the game is being obtuse and broken.

Jumping into the pool in THUG1 is possibly the zenith of this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Nilbop posted:

Like Dangan Ronpa and Mega Man: Command Mission?

Could not disagree with you more.

I didn't say he was good at picking games to play, just that he added a dynamic that they now lack and that they're worse off for him being gone.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I dunno about you guys, but I'm getting my daily dose of Liam from the Flophouse. Life is Strange has been pretty drat fun so far.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tbh I don't care if they dump on a poo poo game unfairly

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

tbh I don't care if they dump on a poo poo game unfairly

Them complaining about stuff that is their own fault isn't very fun to watch

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The impetus of this complaint is the hookshot thing that lasts for less than a minute (if that) and Sonic Forces is a trash fire so I don't care.

Maybe if the icon for the homing attack/hookshot didn't pop up before you could actually home-in/hook it wouldn't have been a problem and Matt would have noticed earlier.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I can't wait for the eventual Detroit LP and see how much Cagery is in it.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress, I just saw the new sidebar on the subreddit

:perfect:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think there's just some content that kinda needs Liam, like the Sonic stuff. And the podcast could use some level of challenge from time to time when Woolie goes in a tangent about pseudo-philosophical complaining or Pat's crazy talk rants go full throttle (though, admittedly, Liam caused the latter) and some positivity needs to be injected.

But for the most part, their output's been fine this year.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Liam's run of Aria of Sorrow was really good. You had Liam informed, excited, and playing well, with Matt being along for the ride doing what he does best.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

li am should be imprisoned

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Personally, I wish Rollercoaster Dreams came out before Liam left because he absolutely would've pushed one of the other guys into making a video of that treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaOnwbutg9U

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GulagDolls posted:

li am should be imprisoned

Well he's streaming cool Japanese games that I would probably never see without him, so I thank him for that. Liam's kinda like a condiment he goes great with whoever you sprinkle him on, but he's just a bit dry when it's solo.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

FauxGateau posted:

Well he's streaming cool Japanese games that I would probably never see without him, so I thank him for that. Liam's kinda like a condiment he goes great with whoever you sprinkle him on, but he's just a bit dry when it's solo.
You mean most vegetables?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

jesus christ, Billy

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
The only thing I don't understand about the sonic forces lp is how no LPer can wrap their head around the boost mechanic that's been in every sonic game for a decade now

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Monicro posted:

The only thing I don't understand about the sonic forces lp is how no LPer can wrap their head around the boost mechanic that's been in every sonic game for a decade now

lol if you ever played a modern sonic game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dias posted:

lol if you ever played a modern sonic game

but all of these people have

multiple times

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blockhouse posted:

but all of these people have

multiple times

lol if you ever sincerely engaged a modern sonic game

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rush did it too.... and regardless, it's brain-dead simple and there's nothing counter-intuitive about it whatsoever.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Dias posted:

Omikron was saved by going COMPLETELY off the rails. Not even in an exaggerated sense, the game broke so bad the future of the LP was in doubt.

Forget the LP, that was about when Liam left, right? The future of the entire channel was in doubt.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

never forget that without Liam, Woolie and Matt would be trying to beat Metroid Fusion to this very day

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Keep Liam sedated in a damp cupboard somewhere until an interesting 2D platformer comes out, then force him to sit by as Pat plays it.

While whining about how much better Rocket Knight was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
In light of some of the "jokes" I often see here, Woolie has something to say.