Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

True. Stanton is Stanton but Kyle Tucker could be anything. He could even be Stanton!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
On the other hand Stanton + the short porch in in LF at Minute Maid could very well mean 70+ HR's.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sadly his spray chart shows him hitting very few flyballs in the direction of the boxes, most of them to the deepest part of the park (left-center)

Is there a way to overlay spray charts onto particular parks?

I found this http://www.hittrackeronline.com/detail.php?id=2017_595&type=hitter but it seems to only show the balls that were homeruns already

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
There's no question judge had an all time rookie season if altuve didn't have such an amazing year it would have been easy to give judge both, but as a Yankees fan I agree with what was decided on I wish the voting was a little closer but it was the right decision I can't be upset.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
hella congrats to the tiny amazing man

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

"I sure don't want Giancarlo Stanton on my team even though ownership stated clearly they can afford his contract" is one scalding hot take.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I love people trying to use "narrative award" as a bad thing, like yes we're trying to get more young fans into baseball but can we please keep the sport about cold dead statistical analysis.

Baseball needs more narrative imho. Players already have entrance music, now they need to start cutting WWE style promos during pitching changes.

"Jose Altuve! You think you're the MVP now!? Well that MVP title gold is mine! And I'm coming for you! At Summer Slam! Ohhhhhh yeeeeaaaahhh!"

E: also instead of batflips, stone cold stunner the catcher after running the bases

Comptroll The Forums fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 17, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Rather than tagging a player with the ball, to get the out the fielder needs to cover them for a 3-count.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chief McHeath posted:

"I sure don't want Giancarlo Stanton on my team even though ownership stated clearly they can afford his contract" is one scalding hot take.

look man, you can't just easily replace Josh Reddick and his league leading twelve sacrifice flies

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

IcePhoenix posted:

look man, you can't just easily replace Josh Reddick and his league leading twelve sacrifice flies

Sac-flies are an unselfish act. How many of Stanton's home runs were solo shots? Pretty selfish player imo, not a true MVP.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Comptroll The Forums posted:

I love people trying to use "narrative award" as a bad thing, like yes we're trying to get more young fans into baseball but can we please keep the sport about cold dead statistical analysis.

Baseball needs more narrative imho. Players already have entrance music, now they need to start cutting WWE style promos during pitching changes.

"Jose Altuve! You think you're the MVP now!? Well that MVP title gold is mine! And I'm coming for you! At Summer Slam! Ohhhhhh yeeeeaaaahhh!"

E: also instead of batflips, stone cold stunner the catcher after running the bases

this guy gets it.

I really, really want judge and altuve to hockey fight. i bet altuve would do better than you'd think.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Objectively, I would take Stanton in a heartbeat. That means we probably couldn't sign one of Altuve, Correa, Bregman or Springer. While decidedly irrational because Stanton is better than everyone but Altuve on that last, I'm not ready to come to terms with losing any one of those guys

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 17, 2017

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Comptroll The Forums posted:

We need heel turns!

It’s a tight game, the pitcher has a one run lead with two outs in the ninth, the opposing hitter steps to the plate. The pitcher then throws a batting practice pitch that the batter hits over the wall to win the game. The pitcher then rips off his jersey to reveal the opposing team’s jersey and joins his new teammates at home plate in celebration!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sab0921 posted:

Objectively, I would take Stanton in a heartbeat. That means we probably couldn't sign one of Altuve, Correa, Bregman or Springer. While decidedly irrational because Stanton is better than everyone but Altuve on that last, I'm not ready to come to terms with losing any one of those guys

If your team owner is saying you can afford Stanton he is probably accounting for that already.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Armitage posted:

We need heel turns!

It’s a tight game, the pitcher has a one run lead with two outs in the ninth, the opposing hitter steps to the plate. The pitcher then throws a batting practice pitch that the batter hits over the wall to win the game. The pitcher then rips off his jersey to reveal the opposing team’s jersey and joins his new teammates at home plate in celebration!

Then he repeatedly DX crotch chops his teammates in the dugout who are all in disbelief.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
John Hart has parted ways with the Braves after making it clear that even after being kicked upstairs (or to the golf course) he would still try to meddle with daily operations. Anthopoulos ain't having it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Lol, I guess <PLAYER> should have got more votes in his loss is officially the baseball version if It Should Have Been a Split Decision.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I actually think Trout hurt Judge. Trout took away first from Judge in OBP, SLG, OPS, and OPS+. Even funnier is Trout only qualified by 5 plate appearances because of his injury. If Judge would have been first place in all of those categories plus HR I feel it would have swayed more voters towards Judge.

How on Earth did Trout not take 3rd though. I guess the games played really hurt him that much to put Ramirez over him?

Trout: WAR 6.7 306/442/629 187 OPS+ 507 PA's
Ramirez: WAR 6.9 318/374/583 145 OPS+ 645 PA's

Oh well!

Edit: lmao who were the clowns that put Trout 9th and 10th on their ballots my god

VVV- True, I forget "playoff team" helps a lot too!

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 17, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I actually think Trout hurt Judge. Trout took away first from Judge in OBP, SLG, OPS, and OPS+. Even funnier is Trout only qualified by 5 plate appearances because of his injury. If Judge would have been first place in all of those categories plus HR I feel it would have swayed more voters towards Judge.

How on Earth did Trout not take 3rd though. I guess the games played really hurt him that much to put Ramirez over him?

Trout: WAR 6.7 306/442/629 187 OPS+ 507 PA's
Ramirez: WAR 6.9 318/374/583 145 OPS+ 645 PA's

Oh well!

The Angels were below .500 and the Indians won 102 games, also Ramirez was on fire in the second half of the season which helps his ~~*Narrative*~~

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Downballot votes don't really matter. Altuve & Judge were clearly 1/2 and Trout & Ramirez were clearly on a second tier from them and thats exactly how the voting went.

At least this year there was a debate, if Harper & Trout are both healthy all year they each run away with the MVP I think, at least Trout does.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Bryce would've been in the MVP conversation for sure, but 59 dingers sure is a big shiny number. It's crazy to think that Giancarlo never hit more than 37 in a season before. I mean he always had light tower power but I wonder if we'll look back on his 2017 as an outlier.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Pussy Boss posted:

Bryce would've been in the MVP conversation for sure, but 59 dingers sure is a big shiny number. It's crazy to think that Giancarlo never hit more than 37 in a season before. I mean he always had light tower power but I wonder if we'll look back on his 2017 as an outlier.

I dunno, in the scheme of things that 37 HR season might be the outlier due to his weird health issues. He was on pace for 40+ that season before Fiers broke his face, 50 in 2015 before his hand injury, and 40+ in 2016 before his knee injury. Even '12 and '13 could've each been 40+ homer seasons without so many missed games.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The Pussy Boss posted:

He is literally in fourth place career in AB/HR. Behind Mark McGwire, Babe Ruth, and Barry Bonds.

He has played over 125 games in only 3 of his 8 seasons in MLB.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He is literally in fourth place career in AB/HR. Behind Mark McGwire, Babe Ruth, and Barry Bonds.

He has played over 125 games in only 3 of his 8 seasons in MLB.

*in extreme cubsposter voice* just wait until Schwarber has more full seasons in the big leagues

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The arguments that you need to be on a winning team for MVP annoy the poo poo out of me. If that's the case they already handed that award to Springer at the end of the series. Otherwise you are whining about Joey Votto not getting it done even if you send him out there with 8 border Collies. Where are all your RBIs Votto, stop taking walks and hit a dog in.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Now I just want to watch Billy Hamilton race some dogs.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I just imagined the bases full of border collies with joey votto at the plate and need dogs running bases now.

Poque posted:

*in extreme cubsposter voice* just wait until Schwarber has more full seasons in the big leagues

He (obviously) isn't qualified yet for the career AB/HR, but the beefy lad would slot in at 8th all time right now just ahead of Sosa.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 17, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I just imagined the bases full of border collies with joey votto at the plate and need dogs running bases now.

https://twitter.com/RidersBaseball/status/877231479155281920

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

loving cheating dog cutting the bases

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Never touched first, this dog sucks at base running.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
lmao at the kid who gets trampled around first

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

That kid got smoked

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

loving cheating dog cutting the bases

Yeah he was really dogging it :haw:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah he was really dogging it :haw:

Booo this man! Booooooo! Booooo!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Goodpancakes posted:

Booo this man! Booooooo! Booooo!

It's too bad he wasn't pitching, because that sets up for a wonderful K/9 joke.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
He's never going to steal bases if he doesn't even have a good lead.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Intruder eat the pie.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Poque posted:

lol

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Intruder eat the pie.

Get out

*Edit* great pun podcast

http://punnery.libsyn.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes