Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Basebf555 posted:

It's unfortunate but there's simply no way to continue the show without Tambor. This is part of the issue when it comes to show business, the star of the show is crucial to the ongoing employment of a ton of other people, and that of course ends up being a huge factor when it comes to victims' decision to come forward or not.

What if Tambor's character got gender confirmation plastic surgery and altered her face? Then they could have an actual transwoman play the part.

I don't watch the show, maybe she already got confirmation surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I do really wish we could shy away from extrapolating which artists we think are predators based on the art they made (Larry Clark notwithstanding)

The whole situation is just making us all voice our fears that creators we love might be bad people. And then what does that say about us?

A friend of mine just had a major revelation about his own past behaviors and he's pretty much locked himself in his apartment because he feels like a piece of garbage and he won't tell us what pushed him to this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I do really wish we could shy away from extrapolating which artists we think are predators based on the art they made (Larry Clark notwithstanding)

You're right, that really wasn't the intention of my post but obviously this isn't the right thread to be just throwing random thoughts out there. My bad.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What if Tambor's character got gender confirmation plastic surgery and altered her face? Then they could have an actual transwoman play the part.

I don't watch the show, maybe she already got confirmation surgery.

Tambor's performance is what drives everything though, so if you get rid of him you may as well just do a completely new show about a different transwoman.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The whole situation is just making us all voice our fears that creators we love might be bad people. And then what does that say about us?

As far as this goes, I'm not saying you have to separate the art from the artist, but I am saying there's absolutely zero correlation between being a good artist and being a good person.

Basebf555 posted:

You're right, that really wasn't the intention of my post but obviously this isn't the right thread to be just throwing random thoughts out there. My bad.

To be fair, it can be a complicated issue, and I think all of us have had that moment of trying to psychoanalyze an artist based on their work (I definitely get those "hmm maybe this dude had some problems with women" vibes watching Peckinpah movies, for example). I just think it can be a dangerous road to go down.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 17, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Basebf555 posted:

Wouldn't really effect me, I've always had a hard time separating the man from this bit part he played(and wrote) in Taxi Driver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_szlzh9Dgrw

Totally unfair on my part to judge him for that alone, but I'm just describing the connection that was made in my brain between the character and the real person that I've had a hard time shaking over the years, it's not something I really can control. I know for myself that in a million years I could never come up with dialogue that disgusting, it's just not in me.

Every time I've seen him interviewed about film in the past 30 years though he comes across as extremely nice and engaging.

I mean, there's a million different possible explanations as to why Scorsese played that role. It could be that the actor that was going to play it was unavailable and they were running out of time so he did it himself. Maybe he didn't want to make an actor play a distasteful role. Maybe he thought it would be funny to play a character completely different from himself. Or maybe his girlfriend was cheating on him with a black dude and instead of doing something terrible in real life he decided to fictionalize his anger.

The last option isn't a good one, since it means that Scorsese is racist (and honestly there's nothing in his body of work to suggest that he isn't) but it's not the only possibility.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

lelandjs posted:

I mean, there's a million different possible explanations as to why Scorsese played that role. It could be that the actor that was going to play it was unavailable and they were running out of time so he did it himself.

This is actually exactly what happened.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It really was just a stream of consciousness post that I didn't put a ton of thought into and maybe I should edit it out? When I hear Scorsese brought up I immediately think of that scene I can't really help it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Transparent is legitimately great and does a lot of good. Too bad that's going to be hosed now. Thanks Heffe.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is actually exactly what happened.

Also the exact scene is in the original Schrader screenplay, so he didn't write the scene at all.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Also the exact scene is in the original Schrader screenplay, so he didn't write the scene at all.

This part I was unsure about since I know Scorsese has a tendency to rewrite dialogue on the fly on his movies

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This part I was unsure about since I know Scorsese has a tendency to rewrite dialogue on the fly on his movies

Yea I had that wrong, I thought he'd written the scene.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Nah, it's all there - Scorsese actually sticks closer to the script than most actors would, funny enough. Then again Taxi Driver is obsessively close to the script overall, it's kind of amazing how precise Marty went at replicating what he read on screen.

edit: although I can see how people can imagine Marty writing that scene since he was coked out of his mind in the 70s and kept a high-powered handgun in the trunk of his car alongside the reels of his cut of Taxi Driver because he was afraid Columbia was going to want them so they could recut the movie

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 17, 2017

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.avclub.com/gene-simmons-has-been-banned-for-life-from-fox-news-1820542740

...Not that this is a surprise , but when loving FOX NEWS bans you for being too much of a creep...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AceOfFlames posted:

https://www.avclub.com/gene-simmons-has-been-banned-for-life-from-fox-news-1820542740

...Not that this is a surprise , but when loving FOX NEWS bans you for being too much of a creep...

I had to check to make sure I wasn’t reading an Onion article. Twice.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

There is not a "gently caress you" big enough on Gene Simmons. Not just for his abhorrent actions mentioned in that article, but also for his long quest to be The Worst loving Dude. I'd say he should be loaded into one his KISS-branded coffins and fired into the sun, but I wouldn't want to inadvertently trigger the heat death of the universe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
True, there have been a long list of reasons to hate Gene Simmons for years before now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Basebf555 posted:

Tambor's performance is what drives everything though, so if you get rid of him you may as well just do a completely new show about a different transwoman.

I think the idea that actors are so good they're "irreplaceable" is part of the reason they get away with poo poo. It's worth a shot.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think the idea that actors are so good they're "irreplaceable" is part of the reason they get away with poo poo. It's worth a shot.

Agreed--the best response to someone who has abused their position or power to hurt others is to move on without them. I don't think I'll ever listen to or go see Brand New again, but if the other three members of the band got a replacement singer and wrote new songs, I would gladly give their album a listen. Heck, the song I liked the most on their new album wasn't even written by Jesse.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 17, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I suppose I agree that's worth a shot, but I wouldn't be optimistic that it would work out. Unfortunately the idea that an actor's performance could be so good that it's irreplaceable is a reality, sometimes performances are just that good that entire productions revolve around them. Like, if Mads Mikelssen had decided to decline to continue with Hannibal, I'd have said hey it's a shame that it has to end but there's no way you can replace him.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 17, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

In the case of Transparent, I'd point out that other shows have survived lead actors dying in real life, and that the core message of the show - giving a human face to transitioning - is not particularly bound to one person's story. If they were to dump Tambor, they could always enter a second narrative phase where they refocus on a new character who is going through the same situation. Perhaps even flip it to a character that is transitioning female-to-male, and explore that side of the topic. You could even set it in the same city so that current cast members could stay on in some capacity.

I agree that doing something like replacing Mikkelson in Hannibal would be far more difficult, but there is something to reminding these powerful celebrities that their success hinges on public opinion, and that no one is without recourse should they behave badly.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 17, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh I definitely think Tambor needs to go, regardless of what the consequences might be for the production itself.

But I actually like your idea there about just switching over to a brand new character that examines the issue of transitioning from a new perspective. But obviously the casting would have to be a home run for it to work.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Basebf555 posted:

Oh I definitely think Tambor needs to go, regardless of what the consequences might be for the production itself.

But I actually like your idea there about just switching over to a brand new character that examines the issue of transitioning from a new perspective. But obviously the casting would have to be a home run for it to work.

I've never watched the show, so can't really comment on the characters, but would it be possible to have one of the other characters comes to term with who they are, and inspired by Tambor's character's decision, decide to transition themselves?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

I've never watched the show, so can't really comment on the characters, but would it be possible to have one of the other characters comes to term with who they are, and inspired by Tambor's character's decision, decide to transition themselves?

Nobody else currently on the show could just carry it on their shoulders like Tambor can(at least in my opinion). I think you'd have to go outside and nab a legit lead actor to get people to buy in.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Basebf555 posted:

Nobody else currently on the show could just carry it on their shoulders like Tambor can(at least in my opinion). I think you'd have to go outside and nab a legit lead actor to get people to buy in.

Yeah, that wouldn't work unless they got a whole new supporting cast.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd find Scorsese being a racist to be a bit unlikely given he's started multiple world cinema preservation/restoration programs.

There's probably not a lot of overlap between racists and world cinema cineastes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm not making any claims about Scorsese but I feel like you could totally appreciate world cinema and still be racist

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It would also probably be good to stop "Waiting for the other shoe to drop on [x]" posts. Substantiate or gently caress off with that poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

It just feels weird that this comes out on the eve of her continued massive success as a female empowerment icon.

What

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

So was the gal gadot stuff true or nah

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The author who published the article hasn't posted anything on twitter in 2 days. :shrug:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Speaking of Gene Simmons, an actress/director acquaintance just posted this today on facebook:

quote:

Gene Simmons was at a studio today. He said hello, I went to shake his hand and he pointed to his dick saying "that's the fun machine". I took a moment of pause and after hearing he did that to a number of other women at the studio, I followed him out to the parking lot and called him out on it:

ME: I went to shake your hand and you pointed to your dick.
Gene: I did not!
ME: Yes you did. That is NOT OKAY.
Gene: I was joking!
ME: You guys need to learn that it's not funny.

I walked away. And I'm still shaking. Shaking for standing up for myself, almost feeling guilty. But I'm so glad I said it.

#MeToo

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Speaking of Gene Simmons, an actress/director acquaintance just posted this today on facebook:
Overreaction?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"Oh no. Not Gene Simmons too," said nobody ever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Grouchio posted:

Overreaction?

Yelling at a guy seems appropriate unless you have a different way of reacting to a guy making touch-my-dick jokes to your staffers?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Yelling at a guy seems appropriate unless you have a different way of reacting to a guy making touch-my-dick jokes to your staffers?
Flip him off and carry on?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

Flip him off and carry on?

Flipping someone off is an unprofessional response that could potentially get a person fired, which goes to show the power dynamic that's going on in a situation like that. Simmons feels totally free to just make crude sexual remarks towards random women in a work situation, and it's not cool because they may not all feel comfortable enough to just, as you say, flip him off and carry on.

Following him out to the parking lot was actually more reasonable response than he deserved, because the exchange didn't take place in front of everyone else.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Sometimes I like to look at these things with a birds eye view of humanity. It's fascinating to observe how culture functions and how groups of people define boundaries for acceptable behavior and how the culture and those boundaries evolve over time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Sometimes I like to look at these things with a birds eye view of humanity. It's fascinating to observe how culture functions and how groups of people define boundaries for acceptable behavior and how the culture and those boundaries evolve over time.
Spoiler: you don't have a bird's eye view of humanity.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Martman posted:

Spoiler: you don't have a bird's eye view of humanity.

uh, are you racist against birds man? just cause he's posting on a website doesn't mean he's not a bird.

although i understand the confusion, because I was led to believe that birds mostly posted on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well Lena Dunham is going to be back in the news for a while now.