Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Did this episode have another of those Alara moments where she turns to camera and says "By the way nerds, I'm single, guys on this ship just can't handle that I have super strength, not like you!"

I kinda respect how none of the women on the show are sexualized. Alara is borderline nerdbait because she's so darn cute, but they never force it.

To be honest, when Alara took off her jacket for the brain scan, I was half expecting her to strip down and show as much skin as Fox would allow, but they took the high road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gynovore posted:

I kinda respect how none of the women on the show are sexualized. Alara is borderline nerdbait because she's so darn cute, but they never force it.

To be honest, when Alara took off her jacket for the brain scan, I was half expecting her to strip down and show as much skin as Fox would allow, but they took the high road.

Crazy Finn wouldn't even go under her shirt to mark up for invasive surgery. I mean, that's tact.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Guycot posted:

To be fair to discovery though, star trek has always has disposable crew members, 'red shirts' exists for a reason after all. Some of my favorite trek episodes, though, are where they actually have to face death and its consequences, like when Worf gets that kids mom killed on an away mission.

Yeah but every other trek series is an ensemble with a dozen protagonists, not just one. It was a big mistake to make a star trek about only one character, if you dislike Michael than the show is worthless to you. But an actual star trek has more variety. Worf fans will get some Worf action regardless if they hate Quark episodes

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have to wonder how many Union captains show up for work extremely drunk.

Also the Isaak/Alara fight stunts were great. Lots of throwing/being thrown, using beams as melee combat tools, Worf would've been proud.

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 17, 2017

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

double nine posted:

I have to wonder how many Union captains show up for work extremely drunk.

Also the Isaak/Alara fight stunts were great. Lots of throwing/being thrown, using beams as melee combat tools, Worf would've been proud.

I especially enjoyed the shuttle-bay fight. "Oh, you wanna grab me? Well, I needed to go downstairs anyhow--" GISSHHH *dives thru a loving window* "aight here's my shuttle"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tom Guycot posted:

Its an incredibly poor pilot and doesn't give you the sense that it would ever lead to episodes like the one tonight.

I'm not sure I'd say it's a poor pilot - part of the job of a pilot is to see what works and what doesn't. The real issue is that it got aired as-is, rather than re-writing and re-shooting, but I guess the studio and/or network felt it was good enough to not warrant the expense.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I was impressed that the Alara prosthetics were letting Halston Sage move her eyebrows so much, without crinkling or otherwise looking weird!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Definitely nothing keeping her nostrils from flaring, either.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ha ha I noticed that shot, too, right up her nose!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so, like, given that she invoked Rule 34 and everything and nobody could halt or modify the simulation, what would have happened if she couldn't break out of those restraints in the med bay? Can you be holographically lobotomized?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm going to bet that the restraints were programmed to be able to be broken at the right moment.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I would guess the program would end when it determined it was about to seriously injure her.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Penny Johnson looked like she was having a blast being evil crazy doctor.
Also I love the robbit's fluid almost dainty hand movements, he's got a badass C-3PO vibe going on

At some point I was thinking it looked a lot like the hand movement the guy with the Guy Fawkes mask makes in the vid they always use when "Anonymous" feels like making an announcement.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Actually, he's doing a very good Doug Jones impression right now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It took me a half second to understand why Alara was asking Issac how he knew about "the creature", because I had figured that they were collectively talking about The Entity That Was Causing All This Stuff, and not the specific spider creature.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

It took me a half second to understand why Alara was asking Issac how he knew about "the creature", because I had figured that they were collectively talking about The Entity That Was Causing All This Stuff, and not the specific spider creature.

Ditto this momentary confusion.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

so, like, given that she invoked Rule 34 and everything and nobody could halt or modify the simulation, what would have happened if she couldn't break out of those restraints in the med bay? Can you be holographically lobotomized?

Rule 34 is an entirely different and terrifyingly real problem. Unless that's :thejoke:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Mercer's misidentification of the rule was straight out of Red Dwarf and it was great.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My god, one contains a jar of pickles.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Good episode. I thought it was kind of weird at first and thought it was just not hitting the points it should, but the final reveal did make everything come together pretty well.

I'd say the final conversation should have just been with Alara and one other crew member. Having everyone there kind of makes the "lesson learned" feel a little too social.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Gynovore posted:

Yeah good they didn't uh, do that uh, kind of pandering *tugs collar*

Sagebrush posted:

so, like, given that she invoked Rule 34

:staredog:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I like how the security officer being the only person to make it off a ship (with a complement of hundreds if not thousands of people) alive gets praised for it proving that she is good at her job. Next week try it again, and try to actually save people this time.

Seriously though great show, Bortus rules.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bagrada posted:

I like how the security officer being the only person to make it off a ship (with a complement of hundreds if not thousands of people) alive gets praised for it proving that she is good at her job. Next week try it again, and try to actually save people this time.

tbf by the end everyone else had literally disappeared for some reason

also the Orville is a pretty small ship, IMO, judging from the size of the windows and shuttlebay. I think it's about the size of Voyager or a little larger. Crew complement of like, maybe 150 people max? There were about eighty people in the room for the crewman's funeral.

If any of these shows bothered to follow OSHA regulations, you could easily estimate the size of the workforce from the scale of the medical facilities, as there's a minimum emergency healthcare standard that must be met which grows with the number of people expected to use it :spergin:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 17, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

bagrada posted:

I like how the security officer being the only person to make it off a ship (with a complement of hundreds if not thousands of people) alive gets praised for it proving that she is good at her job.

She didn't break down and freeze like she did in the engine room. The spider monster was literally invincible, everyone disappeared because it was literally a simulation and she had no control over that, and her response to a homicidal killer robot was to use him as a crash pad.

Though to be fair her exposure to the fire should just have been "Wait, i'm in a ship that can survive re-entry." (Jetsons spaceship noises)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

tbf by the end everyone else had literally disappeared for some reason

One of the folks added a part to the simulation where they were scared of loneliness. That's why everyone had disappeared.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's also a reference to that one episode of TNG where Crusher gets trapped in a collapsing universe built around her fear of dying alone. There's like, six or seven different Trek episodes they were subtly referencing in this one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kurieg posted:

It's also a reference to that one episode of TNG where Crusher gets trapped in a collapsing universe built around her fear of dying alone. There's like, six or seven different Trek episodes they were subtly referencing in this one.

The spider monster was Barclay

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Kurieg posted:

Or not so subtly.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, I was wondering if somebody was going to yell at Alara to put the fire out with her miiiind.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kurieg posted:

If you put together TOS, TNG and VOY, you've covered 99% of the stuff that happens on a starship. Unless an episode is karaoke from start to finish, there will be some overlap with Trek.

It's kinda like "The Simpsons did it!" in space.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gynovore posted:

If you put together TOS, TNG and VOY, you've covered 99% of the stuff that happens on a starship. Unless an episode is karaoke from start to finish, there will be some overlap with Trek.

It's kinda like "The Simpsons did it!" in space.

Yeah, but since it was basically Isaac putting together a computer program based around cliche fears it worked for me.

Like I remembered the death abyss, and the annoying death clown, and the spider monster. But in an episode that's rather explicitly about Fear it just sorta clicks.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

nmfree posted:

Or not so subtly.

I was hoping someone would find this shot and post it. It's exactly what I thought of when that part of the episode hit. Orville pulls a lot from TNG but, ever since spotting all of this stuff from the pilot, that's only made the show more endearing to me than anything else.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

If any of these shows bothered to follow OSHA regulations, you could easily estimate the size of the workforce from the scale of the medical facilities, as there's a minimum emergency healthcare standard that must be met which grows with the number of people expected to use it :spergin:

If it followed OSHA regulations, the only access to the bridge probably wouldn't be a spiral staircase with no handrails.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Epicurius posted:

If it followed OSHA regulations, the only access to the bridge probably wouldn't be a spiral staircase with no handrails.

it adds character!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beachcomber posted:

Alara is a cute girl who can kick a moderate amount of rear end.

She's a cute girl who can kick a moderate amount of rear end with whom a robot offered to have sex. Clearly more Yar than River.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

She's a cute girl who can kick a moderate amount of rear end with whom a robot offered to have sex. Clearly more Yar than River.

No don’t curse her with Yar - let’s choose a character that lasted longer. Someone more complex. Someone who wouldn’t be replaced and forgotten. Hmmm... howabout Dax. Also I need to finish watching DS9. Whomever mentioned hating Quark is just plain wrong. He’s awesome though somehow reminds me of some of my moms side of the family.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

She's B'Elanna Torres you nerds. Just security instead of engineering.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
"It's fitting that his last name was Paine, because he probably died in a lot of it." :vince:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

nmfree posted:

"It's fitting that his last name was Paine, because he probably died in a lot of it." :vince:

I laughed because it's the sort of thing my group of wiseass friends would likely say in a eulogy.

As much as I've enjoyed each Orville episode so far (yes, even the pilot), this one has to be my favorite if I had to pick one. Dr. Finn's bit was incredible from the Marathon Man-esque dialog in sickbay to her straight up monolog in the cell. I can't wait to see what they do with season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

nmfree posted:

"He was neat"