Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
As a heads up for those considering an EverDrive purchase in the near future, KRIKzz will have his annual Black Friday sale on November 24 (https://krikzz.com/store/). I believe it's usually ~20% off. I'm looking forward to picking up an EverDrive GG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kynikos posted:

As a heads up for those considering an EverDrive purchase in the near future, KRIKzz will have his annual Black Friday sale on November 24 (https://krikzz.com/store/). I believe it's usually ~20% off. I'm looking forward to picking up an EverDrive GG!

Definitely thinking about picking up an SD2SNES or an NES Everdrive. The only ones I have right now are the GB and GBA ones and they're great

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Have they sold out before on Black Friday?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'm going to black friday myself an everdrive 64 v3

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Remember that Stone Age Gamer normally does a Black Friday sale as well, with prices close to Krikzz without the month wait time.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Does any one still import for ps1 or has that well been run dry? I've been on a ps1 lark lately and been looking into the Japanese catalog though it looks like my best bet is like everything else: emulate or hack a console. Any good goon suggestions that may or may not be on psn already?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Does any one still import for ps1 or has that well been run dry? I've been on a ps1 lark lately and been looking into the Japanese catalog though it looks like my best bet is like everything else: emulate or hack a console. Any good goon suggestions that may or may not be on psn already?

Do I need to say it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-kqzwwsgQ

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I meant besides the often heralded goon classic there. If I try playing that without the controller is it like playing ddr without a dance mat: totally possible but totally pointless?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

I meant besides the often heralded goon classic there. If I try playing that without the controller is it like playing ddr without a dance mat: totally possible but totally pointless?

The controller is a cool peripheral for cool kids, but you can play without it with no problems. The only inputs the game needs are up and down accelerator levels, up and down brake levels, and horn.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fishmech posted:

Nintendo definitely intended there to be an open port there, they added the additional plastic cover you need to slice off after Nintendo decided they'd never use it. The basic NES case design has those three channels to run a cable out to either side or the back for something plugged into the port, anyway.

In addition to the conduit channels on the bottom of the case, the space in-between the male clips on the expansion port cover are also designed to be wide enough through which to route the AC adapter and composite A/V or RF switch's cables. It's especially useful if you still use the composite connections, since otherwise they're just dangling off of the side of the console.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Casimir Radon posted:

Last year, anything sold out went straight to back order.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Appreciating the heads up on flashcart sales! Are there any noteworthy sellers of RGB/SCART cables that do Black Friday stuff?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I ordered my GB Everdrive and SD2SNES on the last day of the sale last year, and still had everything by Christmas. I don't recall seeing anything sold out, just backordered. My GB Everdrive may have been backordered, but it still shipped within a week.

If StoneAgeGamer's prices are close, I'll buy from them this year just to avoid the shipping nightmare. I have a PCE Duo coming from MonitorBurn, so I'll be picking up a Turbo Everdrive this year.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I should grab an everdrive, but which one... hmm.

The only way I could justify dropping money on the SD2SNES would be to sell my CIB copies of FF2 and FF3. Which, I wouldn't mind doing since I don't really have the nostalgia there. The SNES CE will hold me over for a bit, so maybe next year.

I already own all the NES and N64 games I want and haven't been playing enough to justify getting an everdrive to avoid swaps, and those are the systems I have the most nostalgia for, so I wouldn't really offload those games. Maybe just the ones I have acquired since childhood.

So I am thinking either the GB or the GBA one. I am leaning towards GBA, but the GB one wouldn't be bad since my collection is smaller there. Though I have more GBA games to sell off to counter the purchase if I wanted.

Does anyone know if the GB Boy Colour has issues with everdrives? What about playing either on the GB Player? I am guessing since the GB/GBC functionality on a GBA is physically detected, any GB/GBC roms on the GBA everdrive would be emulated, and poorly?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FireMrshlBill posted:

Does anyone know if the GB Boy Colour has issues with everdrives? What about playing either on the GB Player? I am guessing since the GB/GBC functionality on a GBA is physically detected, any GB/GBC roms on the GBA everdrive would be emulated, and poorly?

I have a GB Boy Colour and the GB Everdrive works perfectly on it. It's a true hardware clone so anything that runs on a real GBC should run on it

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Minidust posted:

Appreciating the heads up on flashcart sales! Are there any noteworthy sellers of RGB/SCART cables that do Black Friday stuff?

I've never seen any, probably because they're already so cheap and commonly available that sale pricing wouldn't give retailers much in the way of profit or competitive advantage.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yes the GBA Everdrive firmware has a built in GB/C emulator. I believe it’s Goomba Color? But it runs fine. If there’s any deficiencies I haven’t noticed them past the inherit screen differences.

Hell I remember back in the day getting low impact SNES games running on gba, but that was with sound disabled and probably a lot of frame skip.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pablo Gigante posted:

I have a GB Boy Colour and the GB Everdrive works perfectly on it. It's a true hardware clone so anything that runs on a real GBC should run on it

You haven't had issues changing ROMs? I've had to pop the ED out into something else to do that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Manky posted:

You haven't had issues changing ROMs? I've had to pop the ED out into something else to do that.

I haven’t used it in a little while but I don’t remember having any problems

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
I have a GB Boy Colour and an EverDrive GB. The ED seems to use a lot of power so I've found that 2400 mAh rechargeable batteries work best. I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZV9WTM

As for shipping, last time I bought something from KRIKzz's store it came from Cyprus and arrived much quicker than when he used to ship from Ukraine.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

kynikos posted:

I have a GB Boy Colour and an EverDrive GB. The ED seems to use a lot of power so I've found that 2400 mAh rechargeable batteries work best. I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZV9WTM

I thought it might be power related, thanks for the tip!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
FYI, the current revision of the GB Everdrives have reduced power consumption over the original release.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

What's the megaeverdrive that won't blow up my console? X5?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I realize that one guy did an eval of the components and that's cool but has that literally ever happened?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It could potentially shorten the lifespan of your console or break the flash cart over a very long span of time.

You probably don't have to worry about it too too much.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Best part is a replacement second hand console is negligible compared to that of the flash cart.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
For what it's worth, most of the Everdrives do have protection on the flash memory to keep them from taking the full 5v, the article writer just doesn't consider it up to his standards.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

dishwasherlove posted:

What's the megaeverdrive that won't blow up my console? X5?

But to answer this particular question, X5 was the one listed as being fine in the voltage department.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I am by no means an electrical genius, but in my opinion there is no additional risk in using one of the "dangerous" everdrives. The guy that wrote that article just doesn't like the component krizzz used to drop the voltage from 5v for use with 3.3v flash memory because that isn't its intended use, just like a side effect. On paper krizzz's way drops the voltage from 5v to 3.75v. The real world is not that perfect and the actual voltage would end up slightly less. On top of that the 3.3v flash memory used is rated on paper for 3v-3.6v. Its actual real-world normal operating threshold is probably slightly more lenient in both directions.

However multi-carts just jam the 5v into the 3.3v memory and that probably will shorten the life of the multi-cart.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Man oh man! This lead me down a rabbit hole and it turns out someone released an english patch for the N64 version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhei0uM72Ag

It works on an Everdrive 64 if you update the OS to the latest version.

Edit: Link to the patch.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 18, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

Man oh man! This lead me down a rabbit hole and it turns out someone released an english patch for the N64 version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhei0uM72Ag

It works on an Everdrive 64 if you update the OS to the latest version.

Edit: Link to the patch.

whoa that's seriously awesome, the N64 version was my intro to the series thanks to N64 copiers. I wonder if this works on a V64...

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

holy poo poo the new arcade version of densha de go looks awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O3bWKGHtTo

hoping taito does a PC release like with dairusburst, between those two games I might become a crazy person and do a triple monitor setup

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

RodShaft posted:

I am by no means an electrical genius, but in my opinion there is no additional risk in using one of the "dangerous" everdrives. The guy that wrote that article just doesn't like the component krizzz used to drop the voltage from 5v for use with 3.3v flash memory because that isn't its intended use, just like a side effect. On paper krizzz's way drops the voltage from 5v to 3.75v. The real world is not that perfect and the actual voltage would end up slightly less. On top of that the 3.3v flash memory used is rated on paper for 3v-3.6v. Its actual real-world normal operating threshold is probably slightly more lenient in both directions.

However multi-carts just jam the 5v into the 3.3v memory and that probably will shorten the life of the multi-cart.

It's not just voltage concerns. He also says the 3V components have internal clamping diodes which would short when too high of a voltage is applied, leading to the potential for console damage because there's too much current.

Krikzz might have curbed this somewhat with his resistors, but it's still potentially too much current and isn't ideal.

I'll continue to use my Everdrives, but I'm keeping an eye out for newer revisions with the proper components.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It sounds like the sort of problem that you should be able to hand-solder in a few components to mitigate, on the older boards.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
A wild package arrived from Japan (and I was promptly banned from importing by my partner)

First thing while not retro is :retrogames:

A set of hardware for Puzzles & Dragons the arcade game so I can play at home :weed:

And so I can post it here I also got some retro poo poo too

Beggar Prince came in a separate package but it came today to so it made it into the photo taking fun

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

flyboi posted:

A wild package arrived from Japan (and I was promptly banned from importing by my partner)

First thing while not retro is :retrogames:

A set of hardware for Puzzles & Dragons the arcade game so I can play at home :weed:

Nice! Where did you order it from? I’m looking for a decent price on a Mr. Driller G board.

(Also, how the heck are you gonna play this at home?)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

UnhandledException posted:

Nice! Where did you order it from? I’m looking for a decent price on a Mr. Driller G board.

(Also, how the heck are you gonna play this at home?)

There were two arcade games, this one is from http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/49/1386236179-2.jpg

It’s a touchscreen game so you just need the overlay to play it.

As for buying I use yaj with buyee

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

flyboi posted:

As for buying I use yaj with buyee

The worst thing about Buyee is that it can allow you to make grievous purchasing decisions while totally sober.

Do you have any kind of cab configuration to put your PnD stuff into, or are you doing more of an impromptu supergun setup?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The worst thing about Buyee is that it can allow you to make grievous purchasing decisions while totally sober.

Do you have any kind of cab configuration to put your PnD stuff into, or are you doing more of an impromptu supergun setup?

it's just a PC so I imagine he's hooking it up to a monitor/pc speakers and attaching the touch overlay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I finally got my gscartsw_lite set up on all my consoles that natively support RGB, and it's really helped with making playing games a lot easier:

One output goes to my PVM, the other goes out to my newly acquired OSSC for capture/streaming.

I haven't been acquiring many games lately simply because I'm out of space to store them properly, and I'm finally considering biting the bullet and going everdrives for most of my systems.

Projects I'm starting to eye are RGB mods for the rest of my consoles. I'm a bit overwhelmed by a lot of the GC options. Any suggestions on the best GCVideo mod to output analog RGB on a US system (with digital video port)? I saw this but the site doesn't have any instructions on it for installation and I'd like to review those before purchasing.