Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
defmacro? I’m imagining call-with-current-continuation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

idk, it all gets pretty wishy-washy, but i have a hard time imagining just tossing an r4rs scheme in there wouldn't have made things a bit better. stuff like proper integers (rationals even, which are usually pointless, but on the layout side of the web they do rather make sense) most obviously, but also specifically the dom may have developed in a cleaner way as a result. e.g. many lisp'isms are pretty natural for working on and transforming a syntactic tree, something jquery-like would likely have developed a lot sooner

true, however, that it is a mistake to imagine what the web would look like if one had planned it all out in one go, no doubt there would have been other bad missteps as things developed over decades even if we had been luckier with some small details at the start (call/cc ending up central to the runtime would likely have been a horror-show)

i am now struck with how we started talking about alternative history javascript replacements and choose *another* language without namespaces/modules

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

this reminds me of how John Carmack wanted to use Haskell as a scripting language for id's game designers but had to settle for Lua

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rjmccall posted:

i mean javascript is not a great language but the biggest problem with javascript is not the actual programming language, it's the dom and everything that goes with it, and lol if you think that would actually have been better with a lisp as the scripting environment

this isn't even remotely true. javascript the language is total dogshit. lisp is terrible too. the web should never have had a scripting language.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

eschaton posted:

no it won’t because a web page isn’t a replacement for a desktop (or mobile) application

the 90s want their opinion back!

right now, on average, web apps aren't as good as their hypothetical (or literal) counterpart, but they definitely could be if wasm goes the right direction (big if, but I trust Suspicious Dish is on the case now)

actually, even right now without any wasm, I only regularly use two types of native apps...IDEs and games (well I guess there's Chrome too!)

my calendar, email, misc chat, social, photos, accounting, project management, note-taking, music are all already web-only apps without any wasm

Many of those you wouldn't even know were a web page because they live in their own tabless chrome window with their own icons

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

look at this old person not using web ides and web games

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Thermopyle posted:

right now, on average, web apps aren't as good as their hypothetical (or literal) counterpart, but they definitely could be if wasm goes the right direction (big if, but I trust Suspicious Dish is on the case now)

actually, even right now without any wasm, I only regularly use two types of native apps...IDEs and games (well I guess there's Chrome too!)

my calendar, email, misc chat, social, photos, accounting, project management, note-taking, music are all already web-only apps without any wasm

Many of those you wouldn't even know were a web page because they live in their own tabless chrome window with their own icons

lmao ux is dead

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
mods this thread title is out of date. please change it to "The PL (Programming Language) thread: I'm glad Rust is the current hipster l"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Thermopyle posted:

why would you subject yourselft to such misery

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Powaqoatse posted:

why would you subject yourselft to such misery

which part is supposed to be miserable?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the part where you touch the computer

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

i would hope one less layer of translation but from what suspicious dish says it doesnt sound like it lol

I'd have though they'd just compile wasm to native code and cache it on the browser side (through a wasm to llvm converter) so it would have native code performance but nope for some reason it reuses the javascript jit interpreter

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Thermopyle posted:

which part is supposed to be miserable?

i dont even care about performance, webapps just annoy the hell out of me they all look and behave differently in subtle and not-so ways and ughhhhhhh i would throw my computer and everything out the window if i had to use more than one

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zlodo posted:

I'd have though they'd just compile wasm to native code and cache it on the browser side (through a wasm to llvm converter) so it would have native code performance but nope for some reason it reuses the javascript jit interpreter

i just wanna quote this "wasm to llvm converter" cause it makes me feel all weird

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the thread slowly reinventing pnacl

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the thread slowly reinventing activex

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Powaqoatse posted:

webapps just annoy the hell out of me they all look and behave differently in subtle and not-so ways and ughhhhhhh

the same can be said of literally every native app i've ever used

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the thread slowly reinventing pnacl

pinochle?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

this isn't even remotely true. javascript the language is total dogshit

i didn't say it wasn't

Shaggar posted:

lisp is terrible too

i literally said things would be worse if the web used lisp

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

use better native apps

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rjmccall posted:

i didn't say it wasn't

the dom is not the biggest problem with javascript. the biggest problem with javascript is javascript is a bad language.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

goog's "native client," abbreviated to "NaCl" because nerds are salty

it was an attempt to make shipping x86 code around and executing on the client HW directly work. it wasn't a bad shot (code was restricted to a subset of ops, return addresses and jump targets enforced to be %32==0) but their first still had truck-sized security holes (e.g. code was checked once, then memmap() could be used to load up whatever other garbage) and it never really got off the ground

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
pnacl was specifically the even-more-half-hearted attempt to say that nacl wasn't a huge fork in the eye to web portability because hey if you happen to not include a binary for the host architecture we can also jit your code from this llvm ir, and i really do mean that they literally just took a random snapshot of llvm ir (which has pretenses of being a stable format but which doesn't really see much exercise that way) and pretended that they were going to maintain compatibility forever

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

weeelll maybe somewhat but not to the 100% degree that webapps do

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

JawnV6 posted:

goog's "native client," abbreviated to "NaCl" because nerds are salty

they should have called it Salzklient because it would be weird and stupid

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
nacl and pnacl are stupid poo poo that Google pushed because Google is quasi monopolistic and can do that kind of garbage

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Malcolm XML posted:

nacl and pnacl are stupid poo poo that Google pushed because Google is quasi monopolistic and can do that kind of garbage

well i never heard of neither. nice monopoly :thumbsup:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Zlodo posted:

V8 has a plan for baseline AOT, known as Liftoff, but I think the goal is to reuse their optimizing compiler for hot loops even still. Because you really want to have one of those.

LLVM is a sucky JIT. Remember when Apple, the people that push LLVM to no end, tried to use LLVM as a JIT and then had to replace it like a year later with B3?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
no. that being said there is a general attitude that llvm is a magical "make it fast" pixie dust despite being

- a tool like any other

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

paging rjmccall

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but ya afaik, llvm is better than gcc because:

- architecturally it has like 20 years of new experiences baked in
- its younger and hasnt accumulated as much cruft yet
- probably the peeps working on both are roughly equally smart idk

its not better because:

- weird edge cases
- deep knowledge somewhere

i just wanna convert wasm into llvm though OvO sorry ill stop

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

But should they? Instead of "Can it run Crysis" we're now left with "Can it run Slack???" as our benchmark. (and the answer is no)

A tab of Google Play Music somehow manages to take more CPU than Photoshop and Visual Studio on my work machine combined. Somehow, we've managed to make the slowest apps imaginable. People that think that this is because of JavaScript and that WebAssembly will fix this are, pardon my french, insane. Profile any of this stuff, there's literally a profiling button right there in your browser. The issue isn't "lol JavaScript slow", it's that Google Play Music has 30 timers set up to fire every frame and recalculates the DOM every time you move your mouse. WebAssembly won't fix that.

WebAssembly will make that worse.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

- architecturally it has like 20 years of new experiences baked in
- its younger and hasnt accumulated as much cruft yet
- probably the peeps working on both are roughly equally smart idk

i just wanna convert wasm into llvm though OvO sorry ill stop

Andrew Scheidecker has a WASM->LLVM VM over here: https://github.com/AndrewScheidecker/WAVM

Again, nobody is going to use that thing in production browsers.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I remember the time someone posted about a new app to Hacker News. The developers were saying "yeah this is slow, WebAssembly will make it faster" and I literally open devtools and move the mouse and end up in an error trap path because their window.onmousemove had a bug, and they were using some lovely ad serving network which captured all untrapped errors and reported them back to HQ for ad tracking. And of course that thing was built of like 50 npm modules to make one AJAX call.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
llvm is better than gcc in basically every way, except for the part where idiot programmers used obscure gnu c extensions

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Powaqoatse posted:

i dont even care about performance, webapps just annoy the hell out of me they all look and behave differently in subtle and not-so ways and ughhhhhhh i would throw my computer and everything out the window if i had to use more than one

also they perform terribly

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

rjmccall posted:

you’re right about a lot of things but very much not this, friend

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
out of all the things designed to be cross platform runtime environments, it's extremely lol and depressing that the industry has settled on google's chrome web browser as the standard

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rjmccall posted:

pnacl was specifically the even-more-half-hearted attempt to say that nacl wasn't a huge fork in the eye to web portability because hey if you happen to not include a binary for the host architecture we can also jit your code from this llvm ir, and i really do mean that they literally just took a random snapshot of llvm ir (which has pretenses of being a stable format but which doesn't really see much exercise that way) and pretended that they were going to maintain compatibility forever
ahahaha

Powaqoatse posted:

where's that GCC IR documentation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Suspicious Dish posted:

Andrew Scheidecker has a WASM->LLVM VM over here: https://github.com/AndrewScheidecker/WAVM

Again, nobody is going to use that thing in production browsers.

sorry i was just being a semantics rear end in a top hat lol

i believe the preferred terminology is llvm wasm frontend or wasm llvm frontend