Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Can we put the dog punning on paws and go back to talking about baseball please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Y'all need to go to church and tell Jesus what you done

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Goodpancakes posted:

Y'all need to go to church and tell Jesus what you done

I'm dyslexic, so I pray to dog

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Fur gently caress's sake

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Pretty sure that dogs can't play baseball. There's gotta be something about that in the rulebook I bet.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Airbud revolution is here, and it's bringing us amazing dingers.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Pretty sure that dogs can't play baseball. There's gotta be something about that in the rulebook I bet.

Wrong:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm late to the freakout but I would have liked to see Judge get a little more love in the voting but its like I said with the Cy Young, you can't represent a narrow victory unless you manipulate the votes so whatever. Altuve's a plenty deserving MVP and was always the favorite. Judge isn't a one trick pony and that argument is stupid and trolly but its not going to get anywhere. He got plenty of hardware in 2017 for the people who care deeply about that.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The All-Baseball Dog Team:

Alex Woof P
"Jack" Russell Martin C
Paw Goldschmidt 1B
Robinson Canine 2B
David "Bichon" Freese 3B
Spaniel Descalso SS
Dalmatian Kinsler LF
Michael Tailor CF
George Springer RF

Managed by Terrier Francona.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Yasiel Pug right there on a tee for you and you blew it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Yeah replace Michael Tailor (wtf?) in center with Springer and Pug can play RF this is so obvious

Also Puig is the only player who actually plays baseball with the enthusiasm of a good doggo

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The thing I am disappointed most with Trout only getting 4th place, is that it ruined his 5-year streak of either winning the MVP or being the runner-up. Oddly, this is his best statistical year, too. If only he didn't miss 50 games.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

stop sliding headfirst plz Mike

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

stop sliding headfirst plz

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Joc Puperson

bawfuls posted:

Also Puig is the only player who actually plays baseball with the enthusiasm of a good doggo

Correa is right on his tail.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Pug Rodríguez.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

God dammit. I had Pug Fister but a) ugh and b) I already had a pitcher.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Correa is right on his tail.
counterpoint

https://media.giphy.com/media/q37FJM3XxA7U4/giphy.gif

edit: idk why this won't embed but it's the tongue wag gif

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I'm late to the freakout but I would have liked to see Judge get a little more love in the voting but its like I said with the Cy Young, you can't represent a narrow victory unless you manipulate the votes so whatever. Altuve's a plenty deserving MVP and was always the favorite. Judge isn't a one trick pony and that argument is stupid and trolly but its not going to get anywhere. He got plenty of hardware in 2017 for the people who care deeply about that.

I thought that Judge was a bit better with the bat but Altuve added a lot more value on the basepaths (32 of 38 in stolen base attempts) and plays a pretty good, not great, second base which is more valuable than Judge being an adequate right fielder (source: me watching base ball games) which gives Altuve the edge overall. IMO. Nobody flame me for this opinion please.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

God dammit. I had Pug Fister but a) ugh and b) I already had a pitcher.

Drew Pomeranian

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Pussy Boss posted:

I thought that Judge was a bit better with the bat but Altuve added a lot more value on the basepaths (32 of 38 in stolen base attempts) and plays a pretty good, not great, second base which is more valuable than Judge being an adequate right fielder (source: me watching base ball games) which gives Altuve the edge overall. IMO. Nobody flame me for this opinion please.

Its a totally fair opinion and basically the same one I have and why I slightly favored Altuve in my own my mind. I think some of the bad feelings probably comes that Yankee fans feel Judge is being undervalued defensively and as a general hitter just to reduce him as a one dimensional HR hitter. But like we're not going to get anywhere quoting RF defensive stats so all we can really do is wait a few months and see how Judge's 2018 goes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Drew Pomeranian

Max Schnauzer.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

The All-Baseball Dog Team:

Alex Woof P
"Jack" Russell Martin C
Paw Goldschmidt 1B
Robinson Canine 2B
David "Bichon" Freese 3B
Spaniel Descalso SS
Dalmatian Kinsler LF
Michael Tailor CF
George Springer RF

Managed by Terrier Francona.

Talking dog, while shrugging his shoulders," Maybe I shoulda said DiMaggio?"

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Does Jon Bois have any other good baseball videos? I watched the Bonds one, Lonnie Smith, Koo Dae Sung, the Jeff Francour one, and "the saddest at bat ever" and they were all really well done. Can't seem to find any others though

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Are you talking specific to baseball or any videos? His video on the 1904 olympic marathon is pretty good.

e: oh duh, you said right in there baseball videos. I stand by my post :downs:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Intruder eat the pie.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Oh man it's pie weekend isn't it :allears:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
wait did i miss the pie

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Are you talking specific to baseball or any videos? His video on the 1904 olympic marathon is pretty good.

e: oh duh, you said right in there baseball videos. I stand by my post :downs:

Another classic sports moment brought to you by St. Louis. :smug:

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Julio Cruz posted:

Max Schnauzer.

Chipper Jones! "We named the dog, Chipper!"

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
So I was wondering the other day if there were any games where a fielder played all nine innings without ever touching the ball (obviously ruling out the pitcher and catcher by default). I didn't really know how to look this up so I went straight to Anibal Sanchez's 17 strikeout game since fewer balls in play means better odds. As it turns out, in that game shortstop Jhonny Peralta never touched the ball on any play. He could have laid down on the field and taken a nap and nothing would have changed.

He did however get two hits and two walks. Now I'm wondering if there was ever a game where a position player never touched the ball defensively and had zero impact on offense.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

So I was wondering the other day if there were any games where a fielder played all nine innings without ever touching the ball (obviously ruling out the pitcher and catcher by default). I didn't really know how to look this up so I went straight to Anibal Sanchez's 17 strikeout game since fewer balls in play means better odds. As it turns out, in that game shortstop Jhonny Peralta never touched the ball on any play. He could have laid down on the field and taken a nap and nothing would have changed.

He did however get two hits and two walks. Now I'm wondering if there was ever a game where a position player never touched the ball defensively and had zero impact on offense.

For outfielders there probably hundreds of such an occurrence. I found a game on 7/5/15 where David Ortiz had no putouts as a first baseman somehow, and went 0/3 (but he walked).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Dude this is way up Effectively Wild's alley, you should reach out to them to see if they can do this on the podcast

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Accident Underwater posted:

For outfielders there probably hundreds of such an occurrence. I found a game on 7/5/15 where David Ortiz had no putouts as a first baseman somehow, and went 0/3 (but he walked).

Keep in mind I'm not talking about just fielding for an out, I'm talking about any defensive touching even if it's just to throw the ball back to the infield to stop a single from becoming a double. So anything scored as a hit to LF/CF/RF would still count as touching.

And Ortiz did field the ball in that game in the top of the second (Groundout: 1B-P)

Comptroll The Forums fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 18, 2017

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

In Koufax's perfect game, Billy Williams played RF for the Cubs and obviously had no offense, but also had no putouts or assists, and the lone Dodgers hit was fielded by Ernie Banks.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAN/LAN196509090.shtml

e: You could probably find a few of these if you looked through perfect games/no-hitters. Just looking at the last perfecto (King Felix), Michael Saunders was in center for Seattle and didn't have any hits.

Petanque fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 18, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

hello friends

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

John Wilkes Booth posted:

In Koufax's perfect game, Billy Williams played RF for the Cubs and obviously had no offense, but also had no putouts or assists, and the lone Dodgers hit was fielded by Ernie Banks.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAN/LAN196509090.shtml

Guess that answers my question!

I won't press my luck and try to figure out if a player ever went nine innings without touching the ball defensively and without ever touching bat-to-ball (no ground/fly outs, no foul balls, just striking out swinging/looking every time). I'll just assume that's never happened.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Guess that answers my question!

I won't press my luck and try to figure out if a player ever went nine innings without touching the ball defensively and without ever touching bat-to-ball (no ground/fly outs, no foul balls, just striking out swinging/looking every time). I'll just assume that's never happened.

Yeah, probably not. I did find this game where David Peralta went 0-4 with four strikeouts, and only fielded one ball which he overthrew for an error :lol:

And I've just now found this, which is where I'm going to stop: https://www.mlb.com/gameday/cardinals-vs-reds/2014/03/31/380551

Billy Hamilton started Opening Day 2014 for the Reds in the leadoff spot, and proceeded to accomplish absolutely nothing in center field, and struck out four times. He made contact on only 5 pitches, and only one of those was with 2 strikes so that was the only foul ball that really mattered.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Intruder posted:

hello friends

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Intruder posted:

hello friends