Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

XK posted:

lol

Wait until you begin wrapping your head around cross chassis upgrade tokens, and how you can hoard them, and how they can magic LTI onto new ships.

and that LTI is both hugely important and not important at all at the same time and CIG has no loving clue how insurance or the economy in general is going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

Cymelion is the canary in the coal mine as far as I'm concerned. Situation is dire.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Nyast posted:

Of course those animations don't work in VR. But disabling them isn't hard. In fact you could easily fade to black and make the camera jump into the ship / cockpit / whatever. Of course that wouldn't align with CR's "vision", but all I'm saying is that at least there's an easy and cheap-to-implement solution to that problem. On the other hand, solving the framerate.. there's no solution to that. You either accept the current sub-par framerate and the induced headache/nausea, either wait until hardware catches up. I don't believe for one second they'll be able to optimize the engine/assets to reach a much higher framerate.

Yeah, I'll grant you're right on that, but that would require someone not only taking over the project, but removing Chris as well. I don't see that happening.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Daztek posted:

Here's MoMA practicing for 10 for the Toast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bYY8m1Lb2I

the last thing a moderately successful comedian like matt berry would want to be associated with is a weird bad space game fanboy

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Cymelion is the canary in the coal mine as far as I'm concerned. Situation is dire.

As far as I'm aware he is still planning to spend $1000 once 3.0 comes out.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Wuxi posted:

Did I miss something, because I'm pretty sure Hannibal never sacked Rome, or even tried to.

Why aren't I surprised at a CIG apologist also being a history revisionist.

Hannibal sacked Rome.

No he didn't. He sacked Carthage.

That's just semantics.

Dooguk posted:

I have a fwend in Wome.

Biggus Dickus?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/hugoflsilva/status/930253528047656962
https://twitter.com/Neightril/status/931461349443624960

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Spiderdrake posted:

Wait wait.

You can't fly most of these ships and I'm not sure anyone has mentioned the mechanics to even make these ships in game. But you can buy them, obviously, and process your fictional jpeg into some form of currency?

This thread is seriously like a slowly circling motorboat around the greatest wreck in the history of gaming. I know this poo poo is all old to regulars, but I still hit things every week I've been reading that make me sit up and goggle at the screen.

It's a huge clusterfuck and I'm sure someone will go into it in a more detailed manner but you can convert your ship into straight store credit to be applied to anything else. You also get the ability to use a "Cross Chasis Upgrade" which costs money itself and changes one ship into another for difference in price between the ships but transfers all insurance and limited items. So then they sell cheap ships with "Life Time Insurance" that people buy in huge quantities so that they can apply that insurance to other ships.

Every time they sell a $40 space bike with LTI backers are buying like 5-10 of them at a time for the ability to project their insurance.

It gets funnier when they refuse to let you use your store credit or gift cards on new ship sales by making them "New Money Only."

It gets way funnier when you realize that nobody even knows what LTI is or how it would work.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Toops posted:

I think it's important we don't punish the hardcore/faithful when they have a moment of clarity.

Like Fandred yesterday. I was genuinely proud of him. He saw through the smoke screen for a minute, and I encourage him to look deeper and follow his curiosity. Challenge his own well-held beliefs about Star Citizen, Chris Roberts, etc.

Same with Cymelion. He's seeing through CIG's facade in his own way, and if he has the courage to look a bit deeper, he might start to understand the mechanics behind CIG/RSI and this whole "Star Citizen" thing.

I think the tricky part for people is that the camps are so dug in that they think “being critical of these obvious bad things and lies mean I don’t want Star Citizen to succeed and I am Derek / a goon.”

However I’d like to encourage you to do both. You can want Star Citizen to succeed, and also be critical of how poorly CIG is handling development.

Now nobody in this camp is talking about Chris’ genitals constantly though so there will be a transitional period where you realize that our mockery of Chris and crew isn’t about him as a human being (generally), but rather about his actual actions.

Actions such as:
1: Promising Star Citizen / Squadron 42 always being almost ready
2: Promising financial disclosure if they miss the deadline Chris Roberts set himself
3: Am unending barrage of lies about how far along progress is
4: Addition of avocados to needlessly split their player groups into elite sects instead of a unified whole
5: Endless hostile moderation where critical thoughts are not allowed to happen
6: A very obvious tilt towards “making a cinematic video” instead of “making a game”, the former of which is often used to help facilitate #3
7: A constantly changing terms of service that attempts to remove normal consumer rights and company employees who inform people to believe their consumer rights are wrong and bad

These aren’t goonisms or Derek isms. These are just things CIG actually does, constantly. It’s not a bad thing to rub your chin and go “huh!”

But it is dumb to see all this, and then actively ignore it. It’s also wildly silly to not only ignore it but also somehow find a way to defend and justify it.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe the internet has broken me, but that door looks a bit like goatse.

No ring ofc.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
not to mention they are light years away from getting the servers to be able to handle any type of MMO capacity, which means that the majority of "features" (including insurance) are not even applicable in their original secondary tertiary scope.

They want the economy level of Eve without the realization that Eve only works because it's a single server universe. This large of a scope would be hilariously poo poo with multiple servers as done in WoW.

Basically, the design route that they want to go in can only work in a single universe MMO type game. Which is effectively impossible because of hardware limitations; which is why Eve has ti-di so that servers can actually keep up with thousands of people fighting in a single system.

As soon as they finally announce that Star Citizen will be smaller or private servers, it's going to be a loving torrential downpour of tears because all of these jpegs that people have sunk thousands of dollars into will be worth even less than they currently are

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Slow_Moe posted:

No ring ofc.

Oh man, I totally see it

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/thanks-for-the-ship-sale-post/650725

Ship prices are spoilers now :downs:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Slow_Moe posted:

No ring ofc.

Somebody should tell that guy that he doesn't have to get over the door, he can just glitch through it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Yep. It's important to remember that once 3.0 is live, all goons will be eating their words forever.

It's important to remember that, because it's been two years and it still hasn't happened. As the clock ticks on it will become increasingly easy to forget. Personally I recommend engraving in granite. Neal Stephenson has some kind of foundation (the "Long Now") building a clock and time capsule in a mountain in Nevada that is supposed to last for 10,000 years. Perhaps you could store your tablets in there? By the time it opens again, 3.0 should be right around the corner.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Sarsapariller posted:

Yep. It's important to remember that once 3.0 is live, all goons will be eating their words forever.

It's important to remember that, because it's been two years and it still hasn't happened. As the clock ticks on it will become increasingly easy to forget. Personally I recommend engraving in granite. Neal Stephenson has some kind of foundation (the "Long Now") building a clock and time capsule in a mountain in Nevada that is supposed to last for 10,000 years. Perhaps you could store your tablets in there? By the time it opens again, 3.0 should be right around the corner.

Every time they declare "This will shut them up!" and it just doesn't. Then again if they had pattern recognition Star Citizen wouldn't still have backers.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

It’s not a bad thing to rub your chin and go “huh!”

Ok, just asking for a friend, when we have been saying rub, and rub always, we have been meaning your chin and to go "Huh!" That's totally what I my friend has been doing and NOT anything else.

Just so you all know. :colbert:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

If the canary was an rear end in a top hat, then yes

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

hot balls man no homo posted:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Foo Diddley posted:

Oh man, I totally see it

You know, if they had just found some more wood maybe they could have made a door without a visible gap in it :laffo:

That guy's brain is so loving broken he's making me reconsider my major. Psychotherapists are gonna make a loving killing off these idiots when Star Citizen inevitably lets them down.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Jumbify a mod in the SC subreddit? Noice.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

hot balls man no homo posted:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rugganovich posted:

Why aren't I surprised at a CIG apologist also being a history revisionist.

Hannibal sacked Rome.

No he didn't. He sacked Carthage.

That's just semantics.
I thought for a moment the guy was trying to say Star Citizen was an alt-history game and it's kinda scary how you could totally see Chris expounding on how "the history of the republic changed because, uh, you see like, all of democracy changed when Hannibal..." with his crazy spazzing hands making little roman column shapes but then I realized I was misreading and it's just comparing fictional apples to hypothetical oranges

VictorianQueerLit posted:

It gets way funnier when you realize that nobody even knows what LTI is or how it would work.
Well the one thing I've learned is the answer to that hovers between "it won't" and "not very well"

Currently I imagine you'd wreck your [genericname] and then you'd put in a claim for another one, and some npc would drive up in the wrong ship, crash it into the space station and clip through the canopy into the empty void. Then the game yells at you for not picking up your ship, then you get arrested because it's the wrong ship.

poo poo I'm playing star citizen.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Every time they declare "This will shut them up!" and it just doesn't. Then again if they had pattern recognition Star Citizen wouldn't still have backers.

2.4 ~~persistence patch is really going to prove the doubters wrong.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

ManofManyAliases posted:

3p9xd1nlnisvzjwzrrqnoypzrus/rgs2l6oovmpahtgspi68f0gb5p5dhouxu4rxwaugisoyh8cso61rrd/ftjnmstmzkojzhgfjp9gc2fqxsl/dluvh9mifkvoicjmiflbiq+fnpauvfmj4tlnf/jjtarlaxlrspkh8qvm8honhzfdt4zoctv6zj9f4xfg64bsnwlv+7abx67ue+fu031uzyzh
hxxh0bgk9omsv6yiizuwv+c7o71c1uwkxgh/wmyqwf1ghlfravloim2rzxuufzlwedjztqn/wav1f1l9xsprcdk9u0rwdaqusphc6nwh1tblm6zt18ghlrl5fvya8glad68emsb6uc3fr3yjpnkbuulzju/iemku+kpikeodlmgewg2gniqjjdblfzza17hydnt79znye3nmef+kucl
ekeb+c9tufmg7ft9mo6flzfimavjowtxn4ymbbbiudnoomvkl4x846rsuqofj9zuj92hgrhxhgpjelinzkyqewg4z08znogmanybsegrmsztj/hc8dz2cljjlo/1sdecooopkifkribms8/znqgumhlkmss+78q2gqpfsakyyxpyvkqc8ncw2zpxfd1lsehr7zi3xenm2ta+tphhdh
khesmoo1aqtl7iwqjjnjgtlhlomnap92+p63xm9q2psgj+gpezryz6hdzig3mnp2ejzeioodtjsuxhpkt2/z8mbmartnuzmykjgftdoquvztxoaepx4tm3hwpknwpyaxdmdi4fj/nvfbl2fwrrqdw5ndiwl/a4ss1n+fagirwnprj7mapfgrb584gadoopkt1hi8xgew2s8mn8few
d80maidiy/vhhwssof30ci6jb2qutsmchf/lgc1harf/klbex0qc5uv2b/6vrnttp7adjknwkcdekdj7cubgp/af4y=

More substantial and informative than a blog post.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Fine, this shitflinging is all fun and all, but that loving bird is an innocent.. whatever the gently caress it is so let's try to keep it on the down low before we get shut down okay

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

Thing is, as was proven back when they came "clean" and posted a massive list of bugs, they are STILL withholding the true amount of issues in the project. Which means, given how massive 3.0 is, there are probably 1000+ bugs in there, added to the 3000+ still in 2.6.3

Even despite the bugs, the comedy of it all is that there is no content to go with those bugs.

They’re not looking at 100’s of hours of gameplay and complex systems and a complex game.

They’re looking at a game with about 2-3 hours of content before you need to find enjoyment somehow in a “sandbox” with no gameplay loop.

The amount of bugs vs the content present is hugely off base. Nobody cares though because questioning why CIG has made virtually no progress isn’t a topic for discussion.

Instead of talking about what they’re developing and working on, and the loving game, it’s a week long of DLC sales. For Pete’s sake guys, wake the gently caress up.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
How will I budget appropriately to spend egregious amounts of money on imaginary spaceships now?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hey, hey guys! Remember this is a war! Us vs them! Is good smart people vs those goons and Derek alts! Remember? Remember??? Us vs them!!!

Keep asking questions Cymelion. Nobody is going to stop you, don’t be blinded by some stupid us vs them war because it should be gamers vs CIG.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

"What the gently caress, grandpa? How is it christmas if you don't tell me beforehand how much to widen my butthole? Cmon now"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Or what? You guys are going to show more photoshops, artwork, and faked videos to counter your lack of progress and ability in making the game behind it?

I’m scared. :chloe:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Ok, just asking for a friend, when we have been saying rub, and rub always, we have been meaning your chin and to go "Huh!" That's totally what I my friend has been doing and NOT anything else.

Just so you all know. :colbert:

Exactly. Never not rub your chin and go “huh!” :hfive:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

is everyone at CIG a lead something or other?

Ah there it is... the beginning breath of their next big pitch. PLANETSIDE LAND OWNERSHIP

Can't wait

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Omniblivion posted:

not to mention they are light years away from getting the servers to be able to handle any type of MMO capacity, which means that the majority of "features" (including insurance) are not even applicable in their original secondary tertiary scope.

They want the economy level of Eve without the realization that Eve only works because it's a single server universe. This large of a scope would be hilariously poo poo with multiple servers as done in WoW.

Basically, the design route that they want to go in can only work in a single universe MMO type game. Which is effectively impossible because of hardware limitations; which is why Eve has ti-di so that servers can actually keep up with thousands of people fighting in a single system.

As soon as they finally announce that Star Citizen will be smaller or private servers, it's going to be a loving torrential downpour of tears because all of these jpegs that people have sunk thousands of dollars into will be worth even less than they currently are

The thread no backer wants to pull is that all of their speculation, all of their purchases, all of their promises revolve around their intention to create an extremely complex and intensive economy on day one that services more than a million people while maintaining the value of their investments into it. They even think their assets will grow by hundreds of percent in value.

They want to compare Star Citizen to any other game economy that has proven the concept that real money can be involved like WoW or EVE. EVE started small from nothing and had more than a decade of slow, incremental improvements and foundation work. They had to employ literal economists to work on it and develop it over a decade long span. People didn't start on the first day with hundreds of thousands of carriers and titans.

If you actually consider the complications of the economy by itself you start running into huge problems really quickly but like all things Star Citizen it's been designed in reverse. So they are dumping a million endgame ships and hundreds of billions in purchasing power in a giant pile.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

Oh man, I totally see it

Oh christ I'm dying