Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

EightBit posted:

It's landing gear all the way down.

My god, we just invented trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In the vein of things pertaining to planes in slow motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8Onft1nXc

This is a really relaxing video

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

MrChips posted:

But what about the treadmill's landing gear?!

Thanks to the marines, the treadmill is VTOL.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

My god, we just invented trains.

Every thread in this forum invents trains at least once a year, on average.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

If only there was a train, that was capable of travelling at 600mph, and that did not require tracks between its origin and destination. Also maybe it could be suspended in air somehow, so that more than one could occupy the same volume of space...

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Finger Prince posted:

If only there was a train, that was capable of travelling at 600mph, and that did not require tracks between its origin and destination. Also maybe it could be suspended in air somehow, so that more than one could occupy the same volume of space...

But let's make it a real train, with closely-linked wagon airships for cargo and passengers, and with profiled locomotive airships at both ends.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Proudly Presented by Dahir Insaat.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cat Mattress posted:

But let's make it a real train, with closely-linked wagon airships for cargo and passengers, and with profiled locomotive airships at both ends.

This was, no joke, Count von Zeppelin's original idea. As he was a very rich man, people were like "let's get engineers, see what they say."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nebakenezzer posted:

This was, no joke, Count von Zeppelin's original idea. As he was a very rich man, people were like "let's get engineers, see what they say."

So the Elon Musk of his day then?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This isn't insane, but it's aeronautical something or other.

http://www.krem.com/mobile/article/...o/293-492496113

The fact that an airborne cock and balls is a cause for anger and not laughter shows that America is really, really wound too tight.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I'm pretty sure it's laughter from 20 year old bros, and anger from 50 year old representatives of stodgy institutions, same as it would have been in any era.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PT6A posted:

The fact that an airborne cock and balls is a cause for anger and not laughter shows that America is really, really wound too tight.
:siren: :nws: :nms: :siren:
https://i.imgur.com/W6THJlr.png

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Not amused

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

movax
Aug 30, 2008

PT6A posted:

It's absolute and utter bullshit if those pilots get any kind of actual disciplinary action (LORs, etc.). Goddamn.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“Sail” came on the radio as I read that article.

It’s sign. Of what I’m unsure...

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-42024712

quote:

An aircraft and a helicopter have crashed in mid-air over Buckinghamshire, with a number of casualties reported. Emergency services were called to the site at Waddesdon Hill, near Waddesdon Manor, near Aylesbury, at 12:06 GMT. The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) has sent a team to investigate.

A Wycombe Air Park spokesman said both aircraft came from the airfield near High Wycombe. The AAIB said the plane involved was a Cessna. South Central Ambulance Service said it received a call for a "mid-air collision" between a helicopter and an aircraft in Upper Winchendon, near Aylesbury. It said: "There have been a number of casualties at the scene, but at this stage this is all we are able to confirm."

Well that's not gone well. Wonder which of them was showing off, or if it was both of them?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PT6A posted:

quote:

“The officers and sailors of the United States Navy are professionals, held to the highest standards, while serving our nation with pride around the world. The actions of this aircrew were wholly unacceptable and antithetical to Navy core values. We have grounded the aircrew and are conducting a thorough investigation ¬- and we will hold those responsible accountable for their actions. The Navy apologizes for this irresponsible and immature act.”

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

slidebite posted:

US Navy posted:

“The officers and sailors of the United States Navy are professionals, held to the highest standards, while serving our nation with pride around the world. The actions of this aircrew were wholly unacceptable and antithetical to Navy core values. We have grounded the aircrew and are conducting a thorough investigation ¬- and we will hold those responsible accountable for their actions. The Navy apologizes for this irresponsible and immature act.”

All for drawing an elephant with floppy ears? :confused:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I wonder how many extra lovely PowerPoint presentations every enlisted dude in the Navy is going to have to sit through because of this. Combined with all the extra ones to tell them to stop crashing boats into other boats I have to wonder how much time they'll actually have to defend America and contain the norks or whatever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

"We have identified the person we believe was responsible for the crude drawing in question, one Private Woody Johnson."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PT6A posted:

"We have identified the person we believe was responsible for the crude drawing in question, one Private Dixie Normus."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

"We have identified the person we believe was responsible for the crude drawing in question, one Private Mike Rotch."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
C'mon, it's the Navy!

PT6A posted:

"We have identified the person we believe was responsible for the crude drawing in question, one Seamen Stains."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

See? All dick jokes are funny!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cat Mattress posted:

Please don't post my Bryce renders from the mid 90s.

(checks watermark date)

Yikes!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I used to fly giant dicks on the Frasca sims in school

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In the vein of things pertaining to planes in slow motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8Onft1nXc

What's the plane at 1:49? It looks really interesting.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm fairly sure that's a CRJ.

If this is some kind of joke, gently caress you

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

PT6A posted:

"We have identified the person we believe was responsible for the crude drawing in question, one Private Mike Oxlong."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zemyla posted:

What's the plane at 1:49? It looks really interesting.

It's the only one that wasn't filmed in slow-motion.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
https://i.imgur.com/e0Kn1zT.gifv

What's that flying over there? Oh. Hell of a way to die.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-norway-crash-airbus/norway-confirms-cause-of-fatal-airbus-helicopter-crash-in-2016-idUSKBN17U24K

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

I'm fairly sure that's a CRJ.

If this is some kind of joke, gently caress you

But what model CRJ. :colbert:

Also wtf knockoff hobbit theme music

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Something, something several thousand pounds of gyroscope at several hundred rpm on your center and mid lines resisting all efforts to make the aircraft turn.

Probably not a good idea.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

on FlightRadar24, do planes just disappear after entering the south pacific? cant see poo poo west of the coast of chile. a bud's going to nz and his plane hasnt moved in 10 hours

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Inacio posted:

on FlightRadar24, do planes just disappear after entering the south pacific? cant see poo poo west of the coast of chile. a bud's going to nz and his plane hasnt moved in 10 hours

FR24 is primarily based on ADS-B data so once the plane has gone a certain distance out over the ocean you won't see it again until it approaches more land.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:stare:

The helicopter gods need the blood of innocents from time to time.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Will this is bizarre: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/city-airport-eccles-plane-crash-13919768

Manchester Evening News posted:

A police investigation was launched into the crash and a 51-year-old man has now been arrested on suspicion of endangering an aircraft, fraud by false representation and other air navigation order offences following warrants being executed at two addresses near Blackpool, Lancashire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

wolrah posted:

FR24 is primarily based on ADS-B data so once the plane has gone a certain distance out over the ocean you won't see it again until it approaches more land.
Thanks!
It's landed, so I guess it didn't disappear or anything, but it's odd how in the north atlantic you can see a fuckton of planes