Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My character is a lizard man named Linkzalfos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've got my son a Switch and the new Mario game for xmas, which is also his birthday - he will be 8 and loves all things Nintendo / fun times in general.
I am going to get Mario Kart and the Rabbids thingy, I think Zelda won't be for him so am I missing anything else that is essential? Christmas is depending on you goons.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Get your son Zelda.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay I hit 999 moons, now what do I play

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Argue posted:

Okay I hit 999 moons, now what do I play

Rocket League

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I just bought Rocket League even though I have it on ps4 and don’t think I’ll play it much anymore. They deserve the money.

Are there any diablo-like games coming for switch? I suddenly have an itch to play Diablo but zero will to sit down in front of the computer for it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario XCom might be over an eight year olds head unless that's mainly for you.

You know what my wife got that's actually really fun? Just Dance

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Simone Poodoin posted:

I just bought Rocket League even though I have it on ps4 and don’t think I’ll play it much anymore. They deserve the money.

Are there any diablo-like games coming for switch? I suddenly have an itch to play Diablo but zero will to sit down in front of the computer for it.

PSO2 next year, but thats Japan only. :(

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Simone Poodoin posted:

Hell, who knows? Blizzard might port diablo 3 at some point. If the switch sells enough it'd be pretty close to free money for them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Platypus Farm posted:

Hell, who knows? Blizzard might port diablo 3 at some point. If the switch sells enough it'd be pretty close to free money for them.

I hope so. Or even the Borderlands Handsome Collection. I know most goons think the game is painfully unfunny, and that's fine, I can't disagree, but I do enjoy the Diablo with Guns format.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

My ex-girlfriend (EX, holy poo poo) that I still live with because lease was like "oh, is that the new Nintendo thing? I'd play some old Mario if you have that. Does it have the old Mario?" And, having just bought the thing, I was like "yeah, of course." BOOM, nothing on the e-shop. What a lovely e-shop, the 3DS has better. She was willing to overlook how awkward being in the same room together is for some goddamned "old Mario."

I'm not lying, this happened yesterday after I hooked the Switch up. Nintendo, you dropped the loving ball.

Did you even *try* to play Snipperclips with your ex?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Takoluka posted:

Did you even *try* to play Snipperclips with your ex?

She's the old Mario type and does not clip her nails.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

RCarr posted:

Get your son Zelda.

Will do!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I'm not lying, this happened yesterday after I hooked the Switch up. Nintendo, you dropped the loving ball.

Honestly VS. Super Mario Bros. should be on the VC by now, IDK what the hold up is, they announced it

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Mario XCom might be over an eight year olds head unless that's mainly for you.

I think I was eight when I first played X-COM: Terror from the Deep so it's worth a shot. It's more likely to be over a kid's attention span than over their head.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

If the kids fine not getting perfects and just playing the game Mario + Rabbids is fine. The game encourages all out offensives for the most part and all you risk doing that is some regular damage. The puzzle bits are easy when they're necessary.

Otherwise I've been spending time playing Skyrim and just dungeon-diving non-stop. It's super repetitive and yet novel and charming at the same time. There's SO much to do.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can't imagine an 8 year old Nintendo fan not loving BOTW it's a good choice.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I made an Orc character in Skyrim and named him Ganon. Then I remembered the BotW link outfit and Iolled.

First ex was OCD that needed time have dishes soaked for 10 minutes minimum before cleaning, and books had to be wiped before putting back on the shelf. However, that didn't matter as after we moved, turns out she was a hoarder (very well hidden until uprooting) and I spent 7 of 9 years together (left for 2 years in the middle for Army Basic/AIT) in Phoenix (from Idaho) living between stacks of packed boxes full of mail and American Girl doll collections. Along with the permanently-disassembled bookshelves.

However ex 1 couldn't ever have been wooed by Old Mario, so I'm probably getting off-topic :v:

Came for switch news, stayed for this. :allears:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

When I woke my Switch up last night, it froze immediately. After resetting it, whenever I try to launch a game, it freezes on the black "Nintendo Switch" loading screen. Does anyone know how I can fix this? It's persisted through a factory reset.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Spellman posted:

Truthfully, Excite Truck/Bots isn't that remarkable without the motion controls. That was weird case for a racing game where they actually worked and made the game fun
It's kind of insane that the game with the best implementation of the Wii's motion controls was a launch title. Like Excite Trucks sold me on the idea of motion controls actually adding to a game rather than just being a gimmick. The whole game is built around controlling your vehicle in actual 3D space and it just couldn't work as well on a standard controller.

The switch has motion controls, so a sequel/port isn't completely out of the question, but the real obstacle is that Excite Bots sold like utter trash unfortunately.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I hope so. Or even the Borderlands Handsome Collection. I know most goons think the game is painfully unfunny, and that's fine, I can't disagree, but I do enjoy the Diablo with Guns format.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I guess it may or may not be funny, I honestly couldn't tell you. I just like the power grind in diablo-likes and making builds and so on. I couldn't even sort of describe the story in path of exile, d3 or borderlands past "uh, there was an apocalypse, I guess"

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Sorry if I missed a bunch of posts, but how is Skryim in handheld mode? Is the UI readable and distant enemies easy enough to target with magic and arrows? Also, is the game any more or less buggy than an unmodded PC Special Edition?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

yes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can't figure out how to open the map other than opening a specific quest. Also not sure how to Sprint

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I bought the wired Hori controller so I didn't have to keep taking the joycons off the Switch whenever I'm moving from toilet/bed to TV. It's pretty good though after spending several months with the joycon buttons the buttons on it feel gigantic.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

What exactly is the "Nintendo Switch Wired Controller" I'm seeing in stores now? It has the layout of a Pro Controller and is packaged like it's an official Nintendo product yet looks pretty dodgy.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

njsykora posted:

I bought the wired Hori controller so I didn't have to keep taking the joycons off the Switch whenever I'm moving from toilet/bed to TV. It's pretty good though after spending several months with the joycon buttons the buttons on it feel gigantic.
I felt like this with the pro controller, the buttons were so wide and the sticks so high. Think it made it more pronounced as I don't play any other home consoles regularly, just switch and 3ds with my tiny childlike hands.

For the guy that asked the wired controllers are like pro controllers but with no motion controls or rumble. They are made by hori, licenced by Nintendo I think

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

fadam posted:

When I woke my Switch up last night, it froze immediately. After resetting it, whenever I try to launch a game, it freezes on the black "Nintendo Switch" loading screen. Does anyone know how I can fix this? It's persisted through a factory reset.

Never heard that one, you'll want to call the big N

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
I'm really shocked by Switch Skyrim. I haven't played the game in years but I'm totally into it again.

Also it being on a console keeps me from going OCD and modding it more than actually playing it.

Also the knowledge that I wont have to stop playing on Tuesday when we travel to the inlaws, I can just take it with me.

Klisejo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 18, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ventana posted:

Doing side quests is basically going to be relative to how much you've done before which point, and which quests you did cause a bunch of them don't involve fighting anything and aren't useful for levels. I think for me, right before getting to Mechonis I did a lot of the sidequests then, then bee-lined up to Agniratha, did more quests, continued plot up til the final dungeon, and then finished the rest of the quests. Aside from Valak Mountain, I never had any issues with leveling or bosses when playing like that.

This is not true. Spike damage has a special border around it, is colored differently than other damage, and has a specifically smaller font (which is still pretty readable, at least on console). Even dumb me that forgot spike damage was a thing in the game could figure out that damage was special and what was happening pretty fast. You can always deal with spike easily too when you use Shulk's Purge ability, so it's never a big deal till the super bosses.

The real issue to me is how infrequent or ineffectual it is till the late game. So you can end up with cases like mine where I'd play the game for 70 hours and almost never see/feel spike effects, and then you roll up to one of the unique monsters in the later plot areas and die the first time from huge spike damage because "Oh yeah, that's a thing".

On 3ds the ui is extremely bad

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder how soon we'll get a new Pokémon Dungeon or Shiren the Wanderer game. The Switch could use one of those.

Regarding stuff like diablo and destiny, I thought this article about "maintenance games" by Austin from Waypoint was something I could relate to. Sometimes it's nice to take your brain out of your skull, put it in it's little brain-sized bed, and mindlessly grind out some game while watching videos or listening to a podcast.

BotW exploration has been fitting the bill for me since I never played it earlier. If my brain has melted from work, I'll just wander around filling in more of the map with tracks. BoI is sort of good for this, too. Bravely Default and DQ Games fit the bill in the past and their successors probably will, too. I could really go for an ARPG in the vein of Diablo or Destiny. And FFXIV would be sweet.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 18, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Real hurthling! posted:

On 3ds the ui is extremely bad

Yeah it's what I figured. Sorta like XCX on Wii U where playing on the gamepad is pretty annoying given how the tiny text normally is. In general I wouldn't really recommend anyone play the 3DS version unless somehow you absolutely never could play it on Wii/WiiU/dolphin.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Would pay $60 for a NEW shiren on switch. Don't port the vita port of the whatever :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Startyde posted:

Would pay $60 for a NEW shiren on switch. Don't port the vita port of the whatever :(

5 on vita is a good one

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/confessamiibo/status/930921715407904768

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Loads of people I know who are playing odyssey kind of feel like they’re done around 600 moons.

I think that’s the point where you stop finding moons by just running around and finding new places and when you have to do the “walk over to this totally innocent looking area and jump up to this one little square with no warning and ground pound and you’ll get a moon, have fun figuring out the other 4 moons you’re missing here”

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only moons like that are picture hint ones.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Loads of people I know who are playing odyssey kind of feel like they’re done around 600 moons.

I think that’s the point where you stop finding moons by just running around and finding new places and when you have to do the “walk over to this totally innocent looking area and jump up to this one little square with no warning and ground pound and you’ll get a moon, have fun figuring out the other 4 moons you’re missing here”

i never got stuck finding them thanks to the map and hints from toad and the parrot. i stopped when i started running out of environmental/platforming ones and it was mostly minigames and such left, those aren't really what I play mario for.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got 999. Good times. there are too many nothing moons though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah I just got to the darker side and I'm not really sure grinding out all the costumes and final moons is really worth my time when my backlog is so huge and game time so limited

Still, I'll probably get a few more hours out of it before I call it quits for good.

• Locked thread