Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Linguica posted:

did anyone really think otherwise? the fact that they had never announced a specific release date made it obvious it wasn't coming out in time for xmas 2017

nah. this almost always means manufacturing problem. either that or they found a flaw that couldn’t be fixed in software very late in the game, but that’s pretty unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

still not totally certain what the challenges of connecting some crappy 2" drivers to a wifi radio and putting same garbage eq that you claim is super dsp controlled beamforming on it is, most tech reviewers think beats pills sound good

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Management posted:

nah. this almost always means manufacturing problem. either that or they found a flaw that couldn’t be fixed in software very late in the game, but that’s pretty unlikely.
remember just last year when airpods were due out in "october" but then got pushed back to the end of december and even then in extremely limited quantities 🤔

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
tim was supposed to be a pro at wrangling supply chain and that was his one strength and now he can't even do that much

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Linguica posted:

remember just last year when airpods were due out in "october" but then got pushed back to the end of december and even then in extremely limited quantities 🤔

yep. i also know what the issue was.

qirex posted:

still not totally certain what the challenges of connecting some crappy 2" drivers to a wifi radio and putting same garbage eq that you claim is super dsp controlled beamforming on it is, most tech reviewers think beats pills sound good

this thing is way over the top internally. it’s got an A8 cpu in it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
whats scotty forstall up2 these days

is his still on the tizen (lol) team

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Management posted:

this thing is way over the top internally. it’s got an A8 cpu in it
my understanding is that theres basically a headless iphone se in there running a full ios stack

ufarn
May 30, 2009
it's tony fadell's time to shine

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Linguica posted:

iirc airpods and the homepod are made by the same chinese manufacturer. no idea if that's actually anything to do with it though

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Management posted:

yep. i also know what the issue was.

tell us :allears:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

my understanding is that theres basically a headless iphone se in there running a full ios stack
it’s an iPhone se? never mind the HomePod is good now

also lol “HomePod” is already in the Apple autocorrect

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

rip apple

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

poty posted:

rip apple

can you lose money not shipping something no one was going to buy?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yes, through the continued damage to apple's reputation

it starts with a delay to a stupid, ill-advised alexa clone and then later becomes a delay to the next stupid, samsung-alike iphone model

Stymie fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 17, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

THC posted:

tell us :allears:

nope. but it wasn’t “lol, just yanking your chain about shipping dates”

IUG posted:

can you lose money not shipping something no one was going to buy?

the market for round speaker you can ask questions will be all sewn up by echos and google homes and Apple will be out of business, rip

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the airbuds delay was just more of tim's ongoing incompetence for supply chain

the plus side was nobody wanted them anyway so the delay wasn't all that impactful

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zen death robot posted:

you still a sensitive little bitch i see

:rolleyes:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i thought no one would buy the apple watch because it was terribly ugly, but they did

airpods look like tampons poking out of your ears but hey apparently the market will tolerate any amount of stupid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's also terrible at being a watch, but sure, whatever.

i'm willing to bet the airpods sound as bad as every other first-party apple headphone

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i've seen no proof that people are buying iwatches either, nor has apple provided any

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i thought no one would buy the apple watch because it was terribly ugly, but they did

airpods look like tampons poking out of your ears but hey apparently the market will tolerate any amount of stupid

I love comments like this. if nerds think it’s bad and dumb then it’s a sure sign Apple has a hit on their hands.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

I love comments like this. if nerds think it’s bad and dumb then it’s a sure sign Apple has a hit on their hands.

the iwatch seems great aside from being ugly. same with airpods.

i am astonished people are willing to look so bad in public.

especially in the watch case. watches are primarily articles of jewelry. they are meant to communicate wealth and taste. the apple watch is both inexpensive and ugly, so it ain't gonna get either message across.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

i've seen no proof that people are buying iwatches either, nor has apple provided any

it's true that apple has not been forthcoming with sales figures, but come on, look around

the apple watch is inescapable in my neck of the woods

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
iwatches aren't so much bad and dumb as they are pointless

literally the only thing i've heard one being used for to any real purpose was cheating in baseball

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
you moron

you loving idiot

they control your airpods

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
which are for listening to beats one on your lte apple watch

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Grassy Knowles posted:

you moron

you loving idiot

they control your airpods

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
man if they really make an ipad pro x with a 13 inch screen and no bezels i will have to buy it immediately

if it comes with an 120hz oled screen i will go camp out at the apple store today so im first in line when they start selling them

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

I bought AirPods and I feel like a fool. Probably going to return them due to the conferencing app on my MacBook nuking quality anyway. :negative:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
apples new manufacturer is the super racist chinese cat from the aristocats

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
my home pod is delayed until early 2018 and i am loving fuming

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

just buy a pair of Sonos Ones for the same price

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

it’s always strange when Apple announces something so far in advance(strange in itself) and then it gets delayed

however you slice it, it says bad planning, what happens to the lean manufacturing Tim

it’s the Sony PlayStation 2 vs Dreamcast move, but I guess Apple doesn’t like amazon selling so many echoes in the meantime

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

it’s always strange when Apple announces something so far in advance(strange in itself) and then it gets delayed

however you slice it, it says bad planning, what happens to the lean manufacturing Tim

it’s the Sony PlayStation 2 vs Dreamcast move, but I guess Apple doesn’t like amazon selling so many echoes in the meantime

no you see tim is good at supply chain and thats why the most profitable business in the world has missed the holiday season two years in a row.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well tbf, it clearly doesn't matter if they make it in time for the holidays or not

brave

zen death robot
May 27, 2001
alexa sucks and hompod will too

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

I can't imagine this level of Loving The Product, especially one that doesn't even exist yet, especially one that lives or dies on the prospect of siri suddenly becoming good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the sonos one is super crippled, like alexa is only able to interact with amazon music with any smartness; if you're playing spotify or apple music or pandora or tidal or even your own locally stored stuff all it can do is play, pause and skip forward/back

the whole point of sonos is that it plays everything [except mqa but that's for idiots]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
its been all downhill since soundjam mp