Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
one thing i'm struggling with is WhiteRose's plan for Elliot + Angela. I thought she said they weren't needed after Stage 2, when she was talking to her lackey. I assumed Elliot + Angela would be the perfect fall guys to toss to the FBI - who, other than Dom, don't believe there's a connection between f-society and the Dark Army. But at this point I feel like both of them know too much, so... what's the plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

This whiterose discussion is interesting. I always figured that the goal was the standard power thing because she's such a shithead but this better world/super tech is throwing me a little because its way beyond what she needs to be king. In my head I'm kind of expecting some kind of fanatic belief in a timecube that's just utterly lame and only the kind of thing a crazy aristocrat would believe in. If that happened though it would just be the ultimate wet fart reveal. Very 2017 but I don't know if I could suggest that anyone ever watch the show and have that be what it leads to. And on the other if it turns out to be real and she's some kind of ends justify the means techno wizard that would also be retarded.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Goofballs posted:

This whiterose discussion is interesting. I always figured that the goal was the standard power thing because she's such a shithead but this better world/super tech is throwing me a little because its way beyond what she needs to be king. In my head I'm kind of expecting some kind of fanatic belief in a timecube that's just utterly lame and only the kind of thing a crazy aristocrat would believe in. If that happened though it would just be the ultimate wet fart reveal. Very 2017 but I don't know if I could suggest that anyone ever watch the show and have that be what it leads to. And on the other if it turns out to be real and she's some kind of ends justify the means techno wizard that would also be retarded.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/02/elon-musk-tesla-space-x-paypal-hyperloop-simulation

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

That's loving batty as poo poo.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I know we live in the crazy timeline. The Mr Robot dystopia that resembles our own closely even feels kind of dated in a way because reality got so much more grotesque and we're used to expecting villains to be quasi rational instead of raging on the internet or just utter buffoons and obviously empty suits. It would be just jarring as gently caress if it turned out that the great villain who is into everything is a total moron

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Goofballs posted:

This is my worry about where the show is ultimately headed as well. Whiterose is a fascinating character but the direction her story is taking is either utterly banal or balls-out wacky.

EDIT: Heh ... "balls-out"

Laterite fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 18, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Laterite posted:

This is my worry about where the show is ultimately headed as well. Whiterose is a fascinating character but the direction her story is taking is either utterly banal or balls-out wacky.

I get a strong Adrian Veidt vibe from him/her

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Laterite posted:

I've been saying this since the start of S2, but you know what? I'm trusting Esmail on this. The show might not deliver on some of us hope What Could Be, but I think Esmails going to deliver a great story even if it gets off the rails and goes in a different direction than you might have thought based on S1.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

I get a strong Adrian Veidt vibe from him/her

In a way I get that in one way but in another she pisses on the graves of people that got in the way. Like at some point I hope we get some insight into the psychology of whats going on there. It was fine n season 1 when she was just a nutty leader of chinese hackers. Its another thing when she's a heavyweight politico and involved in the fate of nations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Goofballs posted:

In a way I get that in one way but in another she pisses on the graves of people that got in the way. Like at some point I hope we get some insight into the psychology of whats going on there. It was fine n season 1 when she was just a nutty leader of chinese hackers. Its another thing when she's a heavyweight politico and involved in the fate of nations.

Consider who her audience is in those scenes and you get quite a bit of clarity. Outside of people she trusts, Whiterose presents herself as vulnerable but guarded. Someone whose tough exterior occasionally breaks to "reveal" some bit of information to her audience. In Price she behaves much in the same way as she does around her underlings. Completely ruthless and willing to do whatever is necessary to accomplish her as of yet unrevealed goals. Someone who is on the verge of cracking alternate universes or time travel probably wouldn't jeopardize those lofty ambitions by executing stage 2 unnecessarily

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Fans reading into innocuous dialogue isn't really foreshadowing though. Also, it would feel extremely out of place in a show about hacking that is actual.

I think there is a huge misunderstanding about how accurate the hacking is in this show. That is to say, very. Blowing up ups's is a little extreme, but everything else has been very legit.

This would be like watching Mindhunter, and one of the characters suddenly becoming psychic like Professor Xavier.

Re-watch the scene. It was not innocuous dialogue. The whole scene was basically a big neon sign saying "Hey, here are White Rose's motivations!" This was the same scene where we saw hundreds of clocks filling a giant room all perfectly in sync in the upstairs of her house. Whether or not she's playing the emotions of her underlings by misleading them, she is still obsessed with time. That's been a thing since season 1 even, so these ideas are not coming out of nowhere. Who knows where the actual plot will lead, but to say there is no precedent to any of these projections is silly.

d0grent fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 18, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Maybe she needs things to perfectly stop and start at an exact time because she’s trying to keep herself on a specific timeline?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I mean come on guys, they set up entire subreddits around alternate reality type discussions. That's a pretty far way to go for a red herring.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Maybe "I hack... time" will be whiterose's catchphrase in season 4 when the series devolves into a live action rick & morty

It does seem much more likely to me that the show that is depicting the fallout from an anti-establishment hermit's wet dream would decide to swerve away from its commentary about society and economics in order to inject a hipper, BttF dynamic to the show. Maybe Whiterose and Elliot will form a time traveling duo who attempt to be the first trans WOC and neurodivergent hitsquad after they kill hitler.

that said, with the bombing it seems like the FBI are going to have to bring everyone in immediately for some type of 24-esque terror dragnet. Having 70+ buildings blow up in a single act of terrorism would almost certainly be a catalyst for ww3

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 18, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Maybe she needs things to perfectly stop and start at an exact time because she’s trying to keep herself on a specific timeline?
This is pretty much the only "moderately silly" theory that I actually want to be true and would subscribe to if it wasn't for the fact that this show has so many red herrings, it's impossible to literally, or symbolically, interpret anything in order to guess at a larger plot. The idea that she is constantly checking the time and lining up her actions to a schedule in order to prevent herself from being where she shouldn't in a separate timeline is intriguing and a lot smarter than that jackass from TimeCop who bumped into himself thus negating his own existence.

But if everything strange is just a red herring, Whiterose just has severe time-focused OCD, which in lesser forms is probably one of the more common OCDs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
White Rose: I've always wanted to be in a band.
Elliott: Oh yeah? What do you play?
WR: I play uh... with minds. Sshhhh. Go home and think about that.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

d0grent posted:

Re-watch the scene. It was not innocuous dialogue. The whole scene was basically a big neon sign saying "Hey, here are White Rose's motivations!" This was the same scene where we saw hundreds of clocks filling a giant room all perfectly in sync in the upstairs of her house. Whether or not she's playing the emotions of her underlings by misleading them, she is still obsessed with time. That's been a thing since season 1 even, so these ideas are not coming out of nowhere. Who knows where the actual plot will lead, but to say there is no precedent to any of these projections is silly.

Philosophical discussions about time don't necessarily have to be alluding to something literal either though. Being obsessed with time doesn't always mean time travel like the Doc in bttf.

Like in this quote:

Entertainment Weekly posted:

The episode opens with a glimpse at some enormous piece of machinery, and there seems to be a big answer hidden in there. Is this mystery something we can expect to be solved this season?
Whiterose’s motivation has also been shrouded in a lot of mystery for those last two seasons. Even though I didn’t want to answer exactly what it was, I wanted to at least show the thing, and I really wanted to drill down on her obsession to control her reality vis-a-vis this technology she’s producing. That parallels any real-life billionaire in our world who’s obsessed with technology and makes these lofty claims, whether it’s anti-aging or singularity or A.I. or space. We kind of wanted to model Whiterose’s arc on that level. What if someone with extreme wealth and resources had this goal of being able to control their own reality and they really wanted to execute that through technology? That’s as much as we want to reveal right now to the audience. We’re going to give out more details later. It was important to set that up this season because I think we’ve been teasing it long enough. We thought it was important to at least show the thing, even if you’re not exactly clear on what you’re seeing.

When he says "control her reality" I highly doubt reality refers to dimension, or timeline in a scf-fi way. He means it in the way that a human shapes their own reality. Their beliefs, their surroundings, their future. I'm altering my own reality now by posting in a thread. I'm not literally shifting into other dimensions.

"I hack time." Isn't literal. It's a metaphor. I look at White Rose and Wong like Roger "Verbal" Kint and Keyser Söze. Him "hacking time" would be the equivalent of Kyser planning out every little aspect of his plan to the T, right down to predicted actions of people.

If anything, White Rose is obsessed with trying to make a quantum computer that can predict the future.

Entertainment Weekly posted:

Just as a general question, totally disconnected from Mr. Robot: Do you think season 3 of a television show is too late to introduce the concept of time travel?
[Laughs] The problem with time travel — I’ve always said in the writers’ room that whenever you introduce time travel, it’s game over. Then all of the rules go out the window. Throwing out time travel in the middle of a series run is a little late.

He is right. Travelling through time in a delorean would gently caress everything up. But being able to predict it accurately, that would allow a person to tailor their actions, based upon the required steps one needed to take, to achieve any result desired. Hence being the master of their reality.

Having so much faith in time, to just walk whatever path you need to, is more than an obsession. It's a belief. That's the kind of passion a world leader needs, that's what someone with ambition and more money than God needs. Belief. Not time travel.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
Was there a plate of shrimp in the version of reality portrayed in the show this week? I'm going to have to keep an eye out.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.
I have a super crackpot theory... What if Whiterose knows she's in a television show and that all the suffering the character's go through is just for the viewing pleasure of the sadistic viewer. What if Whiterose's end game is to get the show cancelled/ended. It's been established since the start that the viewer is a entity in the show world, what if we're the Big Bad? :tinfoil:

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Brick Card posted:

I have a super crackpot theory... What if Whiterose knows she's in a television show and that all the suffering the character's go through is just for the viewing pleasure of the sadistic viewer.

So Whiterose is Rick Sanchez?

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Brick Card posted:

I have a super crackpot theory... What if Whiterose knows she's in a television show and that all the suffering the character's go through is just for the viewing pleasure of the sadistic viewer. What if Whiterose's end game is to get the show cancelled/ended. It's been established since the start that the viewer is a entity in the show world, what if we're the Big Bad? :tinfoil:

Yep. Explains the whole ALF thing too.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Based on the notion that whiterose thinks she can predict everyone's future reactions because of precise timing I was thinking the most out there pua but going full morrowind chim is so much less disturbing and dumb

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Is there a reason why no one is talking about the fact that Darlene is Angela? That's what that scene with them at the end meant.

Am I the only one who got this? It's such a big deal for the show that I can't understand why everybody isn't talking about it if they got it.

Edit:

Their phones ring at the exact same time (because its the same phone). The glitching was not random or a lead in for the next scene. The glitching was established as a way to demonstrate when two personalities are fighting for control. That it was shown at that exact moment wasn't a mistake. She's an almost perfect parallel character to Elliot, and this complicates their relationship(s) in interesting ways.

Edit 2: vvvv When I'm right I will repost your post to make you feel bad. vvvv

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 20, 2017

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Is there a reason why no one is talking about the fact that Darlene is Angela? That's what that scene with them at the end meant.

Am I the only one who got this? It's such a big deal for the show that I can't understand why everybody isn't talking about it if they got it.

Wow, you're as bad at watching television as you are detecting snatchers, aren't you?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Edit:

Their phones ring at the exact same time (because its the same phone). The glitching was not random or a lead in for the next scene. The glitching was established as a way to demonstrate when two personalities are fighting for control. That it was shown at that exact moment wasn't a mistake. She's an almost perfect parallel character to Elliot, and this complicates their relationship(s) in interesting ways.

It was an emergency alert on their phones because 71 sites around the country got bombed simultaneously

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It was an emergency alert on their phones because 71 sites around the country got bombed simultaneously

They are dragging out the reveal. By the end of this season it will be made clear or I will be totally wrong. We will seeeeeee

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

They are dragging out the reveal. By the end of this season it will be made clear or I will be totally wrong. We will seeeeeee

Were Cisco and Angela's boyfriend the same person or was she just part of a stupid, useless, convoluted con to get access to the Allsafe network when she worked there all along?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Edit:

Either you understand how dumb this thread can be, and this is a pretty good attempt to get the thread riled, or you are the worst at watching television.

:thunk:

You willing to :toxx: yourself on that bet?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Have Darlene, Elliot and Angela ever been in a scene together? No. Categorically, never. They have never been seen together, on screen, at the same time, in the same frame.

Benson is correct.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gluten Freeman posted:

Have Darlene, Elliot and Angela ever been in a scene together? No. Categorically, never. They have never been seen together, on screen, at the same time, in the same frame.

I've always thought this was odd, how rarely the leads tend to meet up.

That said, I'm not sure Angela and Darlene's timelines can match up. I'm thinking about the end of last season -- how could Angela be abducted by Whiterose at the same time that Cisco and Darlene are being shot at?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It would be cool and all, but I don't see how an FBI informant who is constantly monitored can get away with meeting up with Tyrell Wellick like every night.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

That's because Dom is Tyrell. Don't you see?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What if all this is just happening in Elliot's snowglobe of an E Corp building?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
They are all multiple personalities of Alexa!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well is certainly a bit less stupid than "Eliott is Darlene"

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
I have never seen this "Whiterose" character once this whole series. I think this is more or less a case that you are all unreliable TV viewers. Are all of you plants paid by Esmail to gaslight me into thinking this character actually exists in this show?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gluten Freeman posted:

Benson is correct.

It's hard to tell what is a joke, but this is wrong.

The initial reveal near the end of s1 that Elliot is Mr. Robot takes place when Angela and Darlene find him at his dad's grave. All 3 of them are there.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Got my Mr. Robot sweatshirt just now. It's a large and fits quite well despite my normally being a medium. The lettering is very muted so it's actually a nice piece of swag without looking like it.

Eat that haters.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Got my Mr. Robot sweatshirt just now. It's a large and fits quite well despite my normally being a medium. The lettering is very muted so it's actually a nice piece of swag without looking like it.

Eat that haters.

:smith: good on ya. That and the echo dot are the only things I was disappointed I didn't get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It's very similar to the one Elliot wears. I expected it to be pretty bulky but it's fairly light and thin.

• Locked thread