Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Main banquet lines, dry storage with rolling racks in the back, 3 fridges and blast chiller on the right, freezer around the corner, and 4th cooler behind me with 3 doors into it and the size of my apartment. Can't really get into anything, they're getting the vents up.and running and coolers as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I want to work in there. I bet everything even works properly.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Do we still have the person working in hospital kitchens? I stumbled on this old BBC program (MST'd by a helpful nerd, probably skirts copyright somehow), explaining how early hospital canteens were brought into THE COMPUTER AGE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYvAcE_yNiQ&t=836s if you care to see. I had never thought about it before, but how are mass quantities of (even mildly) personalized food delivered time on target in the institutionalized environment nowadays?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

MohawkSatan posted:

I want to work in there. I bet everything even works properly.

10 Alto-Shams with every attachment, and 4 stackables for small VIP parties. There's a fridge and 4 stackables in each of my small satellite kitchens as well. I think banquet equipment came out to 2.5mil. just unpacked and put away about a million in smallwares today.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

iospace posted:

The moments where you handle a busy shift and don't get in the weeds are amazing, I will say that

Yeah, our Sunday brunch this week was slammed, and I came home exhausted and aching to the bone, but still happy, because I've only been at this place for a couple weeks and not one ticket was holding because of me. :colbert:

If you watch Walking Dead: all I could think of was King Ezekial. "And yet I still smile."

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Main banquet lines, dry storage with rolling racks in the back, 3 fridges and blast chiller on the right, freezer around the corner, and 4th cooler behind me with 3 doors into it and the size of my apartment. Can't really get into anything, they're getting the vents up.and running and coolers as well.

ungh don't stop, just show me a pic of the dish machine/triple sink and I'll get there :shlick:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Each kitchen has 2 conveyor style Hobart dishwashers, and each has a decarbonizer. Very little pot washing going on, that area is small.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Each kitchen has 2 conveyor style Hobart dishwashers

yeah yeah I'm almost there

quote:

, and each has a decarbonizer.

I had no idea what this was until I just Googled it. (though google seems to prefer the term decarbonator, unless you're in the UK, and then it's decarboniser) Ooooooh, to have had one of those when I worked for the Army DFAC. God, do I NOT miss hand scrubbing 36 sheet pans of burnt-on bacon every Saturday morning. Without steel wool. Because, you see, our military can afford a sixty gazillion dollar F-35 that can't fly in the rain, but scouring pads/steel balls? Oh hell no

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ugh, after years of working in kitchens where having more than three people in them feels overcrowded that place looks weird and scary to me.

Does the big cooler have a work area? One place i worked at did and I miss doing all my prep inside a refrigerated environment.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 16, 2017

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
This is the restaurant thread, but the AT bartender one hasn't been posted in since March and I know some ex-bartenders post here. A friend needed a bartender for her birthday party and I volunteered. Now I used to tend bar a long time ago so making drinks won't be an issue, but that was at...a bar. For a temporary setup, what should I be looking at? The place where the party is has an area/counter for serving with a fridge, sink, and some racks for storing. My suggestions so far:

Vodka, rum, whiskey and gin. Also beer and wine, probably just something light + IPA and then a red/white (most likely from a box).
Cola, sprite, tonic, club soda and OJ.
2000lbs of ice (a joke, but a shitload at any rate)
Basic bartending tools - a jigger, bottle opener, maybe a shaker.

It's not meant to be fancy, just if people want something with booze in it I can do that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't know what they're crowd is like, but maybe sweet and dry vermouth, bitter, and cranberry juice?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
Maybe some ginger ale

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Those are not kitchens. Those are motherfucking FOOD FACTORIES of great sexiness....

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Samizdata posted:

Those are not kitchens. Those are motherfucking FOOD FACTORIES of great sexiness....

Like seriously I'm not 100% sure CdC isn't posting from BoH heaven because that fall killed him.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

SubponticatePoster posted:

This is the restaurant thread, but the AT bartender one hasn't been posted in since March and I know some ex-bartenders post here. A friend needed a bartender for her birthday party and I volunteered. Now I used to tend bar a long time ago so making drinks won't be an issue, but that was at...a bar. For a temporary setup, what should I be looking at? The place where the party is has an area/counter for serving with a fridge, sink, and some racks for storing. My suggestions so far:

Vodka, rum, whiskey and gin. Also beer and wine, probably just something light + IPA and then a red/white (most likely from a box).

It's not meant to be fancy, just if people want something with booze in it I can do that.

How many people are going to be there? That's your biggest question. As Skwirl said, add cranberry juice to your list as well, and maybe diet coke as well. My advice - if you're serving a larger crowd that you think will mostly drink liquor, come up with a short cocktail menu (4, maybe 5 drinks) that you can bang out really fast. Another option is to make a punch bowl and let people self serve. I can give you more advice if you need it, but more info about the venue and crowd would help....

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Like seriously I'm not 100% sure CdC isn't posting from BoH heaven because that fall killed him.

I landed a really good gig here with some very talented people. No joke, if Austin were to be Michelin graded, we'd get at least 1 star.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Bring a wine key unless you like opening wine bottles by chopping up the cork with a knife for five minutes.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Republicans posted:

Ugh, after years of working in kitchens where having more than three people in them feels overcrowded that place looks weird and scary to me.

Does the big cooler have a work area? One place i worked at did and I miss doing all my prep inside a refrigerated environment.

Once things get rolling banquets will have about 20 full time associates, 5-10 part timers/interns/J1s, and 2 more CdPs. I'm the hot CdP, we don't have a garmo CdP yet, and we have a pastry CdP. Banquets is going to be self sufficient we think, and not rely on other kitchens for things, so we'll be doing everything out of there. Still got about 100k budgeted in case we find we need more equipment or little odds and ends to make this or that work.

For funsies, here's the whole hotel's pan/cambro inventory:

100 60qt Rubbermaid cambro
50 40qt rubbermaid cambro
50 20qt Rubbermaid cambro
100 22qt cambro
150 12qt cambro
150 8qt cambro
50 4qt cambro
50 2qt cambro
3000 1qt delis
3000 1pt delis
And over 1000 plastic 3rd, 6th, and 9th pans

All hotel pans haven't arrived yet, but I unpacked 4000 full sheet pans yesterday, and a few thousand half, quarter, and eighth pans.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm curious to see the custom plates you ordered or whatever it was.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shooting Blanks posted:

How many people are going to be there? That's your biggest question. As Skwirl said, add cranberry juice to your list as well, and maybe diet coke as well. My advice - if you're serving a larger crowd that you think will mostly drink liquor, come up with a short cocktail menu (4, maybe 5 drinks) that you can bang out really fast. Another option is to make a punch bowl and let people self serve. I can give you more advice if you need it, but more info about the venue and crowd would help....

Total count around 200. Not everyone will be drinking. There will also be some under-21 people there so no self serve booze. Venue is some rental space I haven’t been to, though I did get a picture of the bar area sent to me. It looks big enough to have 4 people back there comfortably.

Will add cranberry and ginger ale to the pile as well. If she wants garnish she can cut it her goddamn self :v: Diet Coke too, that’s kind of a given. I figure we can just do X+Y drinks (rum & coke) and no real cocktails.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Total count around 200. Not everyone will be drinking. There will also be some under-21 people there so no self serve booze. Venue is some rental space I haven’t been to, though I did get a picture of the bar area sent to me. It looks big enough to have 4 people back there comfortably.

Will add cranberry and ginger ale to the pile as well. If she wants garnish she can cut it her goddamn self :v: Diet Coke too, that’s kind of a given. I figure we can just do X+Y drinks (rum & coke) and no real cocktails.

I get not doing real cocktails, but you should at least cut some lemons for garnish.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Offer Shirley Temples for the under 21 crowd.
I was at a wedding last year where they did and the kids loved that they could have a "cocktail" like the grown-ups did.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Skwirl posted:

I get not doing real cocktails, but you should at least cut some lemons for garnish.
Limes too, if gin and tonic will be a thing. I'm going shopping with her so I'll make a list.

Field Mousepad posted:

Bring a wine key unless you like opening wine bottles by chopping up the cork with a knife for five minutes.
Nah, that's why we're doing wine out of a box!

Thumposaurus posted:

I was at a wedding last year where they did and the kids loved that they could have a "cocktail" like the grown-ups did.
"Under age" means like 19-20. I don't know they'd be impressed with Shirley Temples :v:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Limes
Lemons
Mint
Ginger beer
Tonic
Soda
Coke
Diet
Cran
OJ
Cups
Straws
Napkins
Ice/tongs/scooper
Wine key
Speed pours
Shaker tins
Strainers
Bar spoon
Oranges and a y zester
Simple syrup (equal parts sugar water at room temp whisk occasionally its done in an hour - 70ish oz of each will get you about a gallon)
Blanco tequila
White rum
Bourbon
Gin
Vodka
Champagne
Salt for margaritas
Apple cider, lemonade, something for the young and or pregnant
A low abv punch that is ready to go early so when everybody comes up to get a drink at once they have something to distract them
A barback
Tip jar?
Olives for martinis and cocktail picks or bamboo skewers
Angostura bitters
One of those flippy citrus juicers
Bar towels
Jiggers
Recycle bin and trash can close at hand

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm curious to see the custom plates you ordered or whatever it was.

I'm back over there Monday, will take some pics

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Dunno. When I was a kid, Virgin Mary's were my go to for pretending to be an adult.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
You can make virgin margaritas by switching out tequila for lemonade, and it looks pretty much exactly the same

doesn't blend as well though

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Once things get rolling banquets will have about 20 full time associates, 5-10 part timers/interns/J1s, and 2 more CdPs. I'm the hot CdP, we don't have a garmo CdP yet, and we have a pastry CdP. Banquets is going to be self sufficient we think, and not rely on other kitchens for things, so we'll be doing everything out of there. Still got about 100k budgeted in case we find we need more equipment or little odds and ends to make this or that work.

100 22qt cambro
150 12qt cambro
150 8qt cambro
50 4qt cambro
50 2qt cambro
3000 1qt delis
3000 1pt delis

All hotel pans haven't arrived yet, but I unpacked 4000 full sheet pans yesterday, and a few thousand half, quarter, and eighth pans.

Dude I have missed a lot. Where the hell are you now? It looks like you landed in the right place!

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Pretty sure CdC is posting from BoH heaven

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Fairmont. I can say that now! Largest luxury hotel in Texas, and this will be Fairmont's second largest property with 1048 rooms.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

100 22qt cambro
150 12qt cambro
150 8qt cambro
50 4qt cambro
50 2qt cambro
3000 1qt delis
3000 1pt delis

Jesus christ I'm almost there CdC.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Fairmont. I can say that now! Largest luxury hotel in Texas, and this will be Fairmont's second largest property with 1048 rooms.

Some of your fuckers were here last night trying to shark our overnight dishwashers, hehe :)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The bar I used to work at didn't have some of that stuff (it was kind of a shithole). This isn't an "event" so much as it's a "house party that's too big for her house" so luckily for me it will be very informal. Like if someone wanted to complain I could just tell them to go gently caress themselves informal. Incorporating suggestions this is the list so far:

Booze
Vodka
Rum
Gin
Whiskey
Tequila
Vermouth
Wine
Beer

Mixer
Cola/diet
Sprite
Cranberry
OJ
Tonic
Club Soda
Ginger

Garnish
Lemons
Limes
Olives
Maraschino Cherries (because why not)

Miscellaneous Crap
Jigger
Bottle opener
Shaker
Margarita salt
Ice
Cups

I don't think there's an ice well, so we'll store the ice in the fridge and empty it into an igloo cooler to use as a well. Everything will be plastic so I'll forgo the scoop since I won't have to worry about people ingesting glass shards. I'd already planned on a recycle can and a garbage can behind the bar. Now the big question: how much booze? My friend is turning 40, so the crowd will range from olds like us down to late teens. I imagine the bulk will be in their 20s-30s, and she's the artistic type so I predict lots of gothy weirdos and theatre people. I expect the vodka and rum would be most popular. Thinking 4-5 handles each of those, 2 whiskey/gin, and then a single handle of tequila. Couple or three cases of each kind of beer, and 2 boxes of each wine.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
ice scoop is essential, do not skip it

same with bar towels

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Reminder: the correct response to the callout "hot, behind" is "Thanks, I work out."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Willie Tomg posted:

Reminder: the correct response to the callout "hot, behind" is "Thanks, I work out."

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Willie Tomg posted:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Quemó!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Willie Tomg posted:

Thank you. I will say this until the day I die.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

JawKnee posted:

ice scoop is essential, do not skip it

same with bar towels

I’m gonna think about the amount of booze to get, but I want to add on to this post to emphasize the importance of ice. Overestimate. Buy twice as much as you think you’ll need. At least 1.5x.

And don’t forget the angostura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

I've always been partial to saying, "Hot. This is hot. I will burn you. I will burn you and laugh. I will burn your face. I will burn your mom. I will burn your mom's face." although I only worked at one place that was constructed so badly that the whole soliloquy was necessary on a regular basis...

The place was a death trap- three tiny dead-end galleys- one hot (and open to the dining room, no less) one cold and then the dish pit and walk in, connected only on one side by a narrow hallway. Nearly everything saw a saute pan at some point so the dishwasher would have to run up to the hot line and grab hot dirty pans every few minutes unless they forgot, in which case the sous chef would quickly and ragefully run them back. Whoever was on the cold line would have run plates and either pass them through the hot line window or out the hallway to the waiters. Then the pastry chef decided lava cakes were a great idea, which made the cold line run from her station through the dish pit to the walk in and all the way up to the hot line oven, hit a timer, back to cold line, timer goes off, back to hot line, plate the cake on the saute station (without killing/being killed by the sous chef) then toss it in the window for the waiters to ignore until it was tepid mush.

Yes, I was the pastry chef.