Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looks like a generic poo poo base though. No forward tilt, no armrest depth adjustment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SlayVus posted:

It's that the chair from Batman?

Now that you mentioned that, I want one!!!

Fake Edit: I ain't payin' extra to have no coccyx cutout! That poo poo better be free! :colbert:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

[back pain and embody chair]
It could also be because I had the chair's back resistance on high, so I changed it to the opposite end. We'll see what happens.

I'm happy to report that after adjusting the back resistance all issues have disappeared.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Atomizer posted:

Now that you mentioned that, I want one!!!

Fake Edit: I ain't payin' extra to have no coccyx cutout! That poo poo better be free! :colbert:

It's a cutout! It should mean I get a discount!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

nnnotime posted:

Anybody try one of these Verte RTM chairs before? Retail about $1500 USD.

https://modernchair.com/verte-chair-with-brushed-aluminum-frame.html

I think it's cool the chair can practically shape itself to most of your spine.

EDIT: Yeah, the chair was used in the Batman vs. Superman movie. The set designers removed the headrest and replaced the padded armrests with steel ones.
VVVVVVVVV

I like how the two reviews on the site are the same person in broken English one month apart.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Hope you like chairs that blow air up your arse http://www.tomshardware.com/news/thermaltake-gaming-chair-active-cooling,35905.html

You're a true gamer, and true gamers need the "coolest" gear! Now you won't ever need to stop an intense kill streak to sponge the sweat from your crack. Made with military-grade castors, the Thermaltake active cooling chair's powerful 5100RPM fans with blow your rotten burrito farts straight between your legs and up your nostrils. Advanced waterproofing techniques ensure you won't be electrocuted when you inevitably spill Dr Pepper down your front or piss yourself during a drawn-out battle

I guess it's like car cushions with fans in them?

I was looking for a gaming-brand chair with the winged backrests - I guess a hugbox on castors is the kind of furniture that appeals to me - but only found one brand that didn't look completely awful. https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Game-Devices/Gaming-Chairs/68767-NBL-ICN-RL-MBG The part you sit on is top-grain leather, but the back is faux leather. It promises to be better made than other chairs but I guess they all say that

Based on the advice in this thread regarding gaming-brand chairs' shoddy construction I'll probably grab the IKEA chair. Thanks for saving me some money

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
I'm sitting in my new Steelcase Gesture chair and holy moley, this thing was worth every damned cent. It's built like the proverbial brick outhouse (and weighs a ton) but feels quality, nothing squeaks, and it's the comfiest chair I've ever owned. I've only had it a few hours but man, it's lightyears ahead of the Ergohuman I tried in a local store.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

I'm sitting in my new Steelcase Gesture chair and holy moley, this thing was worth every damned cent. It's built like the proverbial brick outhouse (and weighs a ton) but feels quality, nothing squeaks, and it's the comfiest chair I've ever owned. I've only had it a few hours but man, it's lightyears ahead of the Ergohuman I tried in a local store.

We try to tell people to get real chairs here but it's an uphill battle. I'll basically never give up my embody now that I've got one.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I had bad arm/wrist pains until I got my Gesture. It's really that good.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Used is definitely the way to go in my opinion. I bought a used Aeron for $200, and after $50 of miscellaneous parts (cylinder/wheels/lip padding) it's 95% as good as a new one. They're so simple to repair so as line as you make sure the mesh is fine you're golden.

It's much easier to get a skeptical person to drop 250 instead of 700+.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

My friend found a Gesture just sitting out at a curb last week. That’s about the only way I could afford one right now :negative:

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Hackan Slash posted:

Used is definitely the way to go in my opinion. I bought a used Aeron for $200, and after $50 of miscellaneous parts (cylinder/wheels/lip padding) it's 95% as good as a new one. They're so simple to repair so as line as you make sure the mesh is fine you're golden.

It's much easier to get a skeptical person to drop 250 instead of 700+.

Occasionally you can stumble across a gem via Amazon Warehouse on newer chairs. I picked up an Embody with Balance fabric for $800, a generous concession of $700. It arrived disassembled with a smudge on the rear of the frame.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So Madison seating has leap v2 chairs for $400. Is this a good deal? I understand it'll more than likely come from an office liquidation. Would it be worth it? I desperately need a chair to help my computer posture and to get rid of my low back waiting room chair. Headrest for the Leap v2, are there aftermarket headrests or do I have to buy a model with the headrest?

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Just bought a fully decked out embody from a dealer near my place. How convenient they have a promo that's about to start for 15% off and they let me have it now

e: this chair costs more than the rest of my apartment right now

Knowlue fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 19, 2017

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Ric Flair of geekdom.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Uhh, anyone know of any chairs with a deep (>150 degrees) recline, maybe even a footrest?
I have a sit\stand desk in my office area. I mounted a large monitor at eye level on the wall with a VESA mount, TBH I like standing a lot.
It would also work well lying down, I am seeing all these DXRacer chairs, or weird pleather material chairs and they don't look so good.
Anyone know of any like mesh chairs with deep reclines, or fabric-based chairs, preferably a bit firmer?
My cats I think would destroy anything leather-like.

Reddit is generally bad for reviews I find - it seems like Chinese mass marketers infiltrate Reddit and somehow convinces the hive mind that their products are good.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V7KXYJQ
Same features but not trash.
This is probably trash.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

bandaid.friend posted:

I was looking for a gaming-brand chair with the winged backrests - I guess a hugbox on castors is the kind of furniture that appeals to me - but only found one brand that didn't look completely awful. https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Game-Devices/Gaming-Chairs/68767-NBL-ICN-RL-MBG The part you sit on is top-grain leather, but the back is faux leather. It promises to be better made than other chairs but I guess they all say that

i actually went out to this store and tried out the demo models they have on the floor cause i thought it looked kinda neat, i really wanted to like it but i felt its just way too overpriced; its arms are pretty creaky and the head and lumbar cushions are a weak compromise. the faux leather one goes for $499, i think i might have paid only $200 for it. so i drove five minutes down the road to IKEA and tried out the markus, the cloth models are cheaper at $249 and more comfortable but i still wasnt that convinced. both aren't as good as the Haworth Zody i use at work, but then again that goes for like a thousand bucks

i sort of wanna throw up my hands and just get an embody but thats two thousand smackers so maybe ill just sit on the floor like a animal

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
With the deals on Office Designs I'm seriously tempted to lay down some cash to get an Embody or Gesture. Problem is there is nowhere around me to try before I buy. Anyone have any experience with Office Designs and their return policy? They claim free returns, but I wonder if I still have to pay for the shipping and the "free" bit is no restocking fee. Been sitting on a $50 chair that is 12 years old, no more foam, just a pipe destroying my tailbone - I'm ready for a real chair. Between the sales, cashback sites, and such I can get a fully loaded Embody for about $1,120.

Also curious if anyone has good or bad experiences with the Embody or Gesture. I'm 5'6", 160 for reference, sit about 4-5 hours on the weekdays, 10 hours on the weekends.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

The Rev posted:

With the deals on Office Designs I'm seriously tempted to lay down some cash to get an Embody or Gesture. Problem is there is nowhere around me to try before I buy. Anyone have any experience with Office Designs and their return policy? They claim free returns, but I wonder if I still have to pay for the shipping and the "free" bit is no restocking fee. Been sitting on a $50 chair that is 12 years old, no more foam, just a pipe destroying my tailbone - I'm ready for a real chair. Between the sales, cashback sites, and such I can get a fully loaded Embody for about $1,120.

Also curious if anyone has good or bad experiences with the Embody or Gesture. I'm 5'6", 160 for reference, sit about 4-5 hours on the weekdays, 10 hours on the weekends.

If it’s the same office designs located in IL I’ve had a good experience with them. I’ve ordered two Haworth chairs from them on their eBay store for really good price, open box.

THe first chair had a feature that was broken. They sent me a return shipping label for free and setup the exchange with Haworth for me. Very impressed with their service, at least with their outlet store on eBay.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Bought a fully loaded aeron from HM thanks to the fall sale. All in except chrome polish and leather for about 1000. Good bye lovely chairs!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
10% off, think I'm going to buy a Steelcase Amia with the 4-way adjustable arms for $636.

e: Pulled the trigger, let's see how this baby does compared with my current lovely chair.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 28, 2017

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish the "gaming chairs" didn't suck universally, because I do like the aesthetic.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
after being frozen with indecision for a long time I finally bit the bullet and bought an "open box" leap V2 from madison seating on ebay for $377. it arrived today and is in excellent shape, very solidly built with nice upholstery. not the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in but a massive upgrade over my wobbly $150 chair

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The Rev posted:

The Embody is a great chair, and I would be shocked if you didn't like it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

They’re both great chairs, but I much prefer the extra options that the Gesture’s arms provide.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It seems the biggest complaint about the Aeron is the chair edge digging into your legs..is that an issue you guys have had? Someone mentioned a company that makes some sort of soft liner but I can't find anything about it. Just curious. I'm 5'10 and I've heard that complaint from people who identify as "short" so I'm wondering what that means exactly.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

It seems the biggest complaint about the Aeron is the chair edge digging into your legs..is that an issue you guys have had? Someone mentioned a company that makes some sort of soft liner but I can't find anything about it. Just curious. I'm 5'10 and I've heard that complaint from people who identify as "short" so I'm wondering what that means exactly.

I'm 5'10 and had this issue with an Aeron I tried a few times (probably like 5 years ago). I never looked into getting or trying one since then, though I'd guess certain configuration options would help ameliorate the problem.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
To me that tends to mean your upper legs are resting too much weight on the chair and it's time to look into a foot rest.

Also at risk of sounding like a shill the Embody has a softer edge and it's adjustable/extendable.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

zer0spunk posted:

I'm one of the people who've made this complaint and I attribute permanent sciatic nerve damage to it. I'm not an overly large guy either, at the time I was about 230 at 6'1. The chair fit a little small, but the front 'lip' dug into me and I didn't do anything about it, assuming I was sitting in the chair wrong or it was somehow my fault. I really regret that.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Does anyone have any opinions on the Steelcase Leap? Even used Embodies and Gestures are close to a $1000, which I could swing but would rather not. However used/refurbished Leaps (and Aerons) I can find for around $400. Right now I'm just sitting on some office max garbage and have recently decided to start looking for something decent.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 4, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Axetrain posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on the Steelcase Leap? Even used Embodies and Gestures are close to a $1000, which I could swing but would rather not. However used/refurbished Leaps (and Aerons) I can find for around $400. Right now I'm just sitting on some office max garbage and have recently decided to start looking for something decent.

I have a Leap V2, the V2 has better arms and a few other differences but the leap and V2 are pretty similar chairs, I really like it, I can sit in it for extended periods without fatigue, it's comfortable, not "soft and cushy" comfortable but it molds itself to your body and gives you support. I had a wobbly chair from some random office place before and it was giving me back and shoulder pain, the V2 fixed those in about a week of use and they have not come back since then. Between the Leap and Aeron go for the Leap, the Aeron was designed as a cool looking chair for conference rooms, not for extended periods of sitting, it's well made and solid but the Leap is better designed for sitting at a desk all day. Also consider buying new if you can save up for it, these chairs come with a 12-15 year warranty which can be worth it over the life of the chair, both SteelCase and Herman Miller have 15%-20% off sales a few times a year, in fact Herman Miller is having their 15% off sale right now so you can get an Embody for ~1k new.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Deviant posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish the "gaming chairs" didn't suck universally, because I do like the aesthetic.
lol is your bed a race car, too?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

TenementFunster posted:

lol is your bed a race car, too?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Well played.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I bought a Leap V2 and I have only one issue with it. After a long period of sitting the chair my coccyx starts hurting. Do I not have my chair adjusted properly or is something else at play here.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

what's the go-to chair that's comfortable enough to spend hours and hours sat in whilst I play videogames / watch Netflix / browse the internet? the one I have currently is slowly falling apart.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 1, 2018

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

The best thing to do is look for a chair that has passed the certification for your country. For example the KAB Seating range is fairly expensive but it's passed the AFRDI (Australian) and FIRA (UK) standards for office chairs and have got a good warranty on them (they're mostly built for 24/7 use in monitoring centres so they're built to last).

The go to cheaper chair for Australians at least is the Buro Metro - its a task chair thats relatively inexpensive but have passed the AFRDI certifications for large users (150kb/330lbs) and have a 10 year warranty.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
I've got a really old Leap in my home office that is quite literally falling apart, so I'm in the market for a new chair. I think it's also one of the smaller models which might be too small for me. I use a leap at work that feels bigger and is more comfortable.

I'd like to stick with a high quality ergonomic chair, that can support both long work sessions and more casual lounging. I'm 5'11" and about 200-210.

Some features I'm looking for:
  • Tall back with neck support.
  • Comfortable arms, with lots of adjustability.
  • Ability to adjust the seat fairly high up. I have a standing desk and while I don't want a stool style chair, the ability to raise up a little higher than the leap would be nice.

Any recommendations? Seems like these executive versions of the ergonomic chairs are another 1k on top of the regular chairs. I'd like to buy new to get exactly what I want this time since this is an investment that I will use daily for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Embody or go home.