Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Crimpanzee posted:

Picked up an LG OLED65C7P from Fry's for $2300. In store only or pre-Black Friday price maybe since their website still has them listed as $2700. Salesman said the B7s would get the $400 drop as well.
From what I can tell, the only difference between the C7P and B7A is the Dolby Atmos support/speakers and a slightly different stand and bezel on the former?

We don't have a Fry's anywhere near me, but it sounds like the discounts are hitting everywhere starting tomorrow, so I think it's time to pull the trigger on an OLED to replace my aging Panasonic plasma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

WhiteHowler posted:

From what I can tell, the only difference between the C7P and B7A is the Dolby Atmos support/speakers and a slightly different stand and bezel on the former?

The panels are exactly the same on all of the LG OLEDs of a given size/model year. If you're using them with a separate speaker system the only differences are in the physical appearance of the unit.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
Just a different stand and the bezel is wider and black on the C versus thin and silver on the B. The E line has the glass translucent bezel and the ludicrous mark up for a sound bar and Atmos.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Not sure if this is the right thread or not, I looked around and didn't see a thread for soundbars so here we go.

Are there any recommendations for one? Black Friday is coming up and I'd like to be able to hear my TV.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Graduating up to a decent-sized TV is loving incredible. I took measurements the other day, and the 55" Vizio I'm buying is wider than the coffee table I've keeping my old TV on. I'm buying like a VESA mount tabletop stand, anyway, since I still need to elevate the TV to make room for consoles and poo poo, but like... I dunno, it's just gonna be a huge quality of life improvement not having to squint at text in video games on a 32" screen from across the room.

I have no real soundbar advice. Mine is the AmazonBasics one with the subwoofer. It's leaps and bounds better than the TV speaker, and it seems to review well, but it's not surround sound or anything. If you have a higher budget than me, I'd probably spring for something nicer.
Also, that thing's covered in bright blue LEDs, so if you're keeping it in a bedroom like I do, you'll have to put some stickers or electric tape on it if you don't want it to be a distraction while you're just using it as a giant bluetooth speaker.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ordered my 55X900E, now to figure out how to get rid of my 2008 40".

I'm not a fan of soundbars, maybe try to fit in some powered speakers? There's ones with remotes and bluetooth and stuff: Kanto YU4/YU6, Vanatoo Transparent Zero, Aperion Allaire, etc.

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 20, 2017

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

[quote="qirex" post=""478572160"]

I'm not a fan of soundbars, maybe try to fit in some powered speakers? There's ones with remotes and bluetooth and stuff: Kanto YU4/YU6, Vanatoo Transparent Zero, Aperion Allaire, etc.
[/quote]

Yeah but space.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

Yeah but space.
Cabinet volume and driver size are the two best ways to improve sound quality, physics is physics. There are soundbars that sound OK but they are hideously expensive. Budget a little space for quality of life.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
My wife and I have been discussing maybe upgrading the TV in our bedroom. We're coming from a 52" Samsung plasma that we've had for about 5 years. Right now we're debating on either a 55" LG oled or a 65" Sony x900 since they're the same price. This is the main TV she and I use so it'll see a lot of use for TV and movies and a little bit of gaming but that's really low on the list of priorities.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Any other "decent" 75" TV's under $1500 besides the Vizio E series. My brother just wants a huge tv and E series picture quality on his 2 year old 55" is fine in his experiences.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I went from a vizio sound bar back to an actual stereo and the difference is gigantic. But then I added a nice sub and a center channel and there is no way to go back now. We tried watching something on the TV upstairs that just has built in speakers and couldn't understand any of the dialog.

FWIW: Kef q100 fronts. Onkyo 656 amp. SVS sub. And kef q200 center, too.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 20, 2017

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

hamsystem posted:

My wife and I have been discussing maybe upgrading the TV in our bedroom. We're coming from a 52" Samsung plasma that we've had for about 5 years. Right now we're debating on either a 55" LG oled or a 65" Sony x900 since they're the same price. This is the main TV she and I use so it'll see a lot of use for TV and movies and a little bit of gaming but that's really low on the list of priorities.

OLED, unless the screen is very far away from you and that 10” will make a difference, or your room is VERY bright

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even a cheap home theater in a box is going to be leaps and bounds better than a sound bar. The only thing that takes up any space is the subwoofer.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Dogen posted:

OLED, unless the screen is very far away from you and that 10” will make a difference, or your room is VERY bright

Nah, it's usually super dark in there. That's where I was leaning anyways. Thanks for the confirmation.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
So, aside from stating the obvious that a full sound system beats a sound bar, I'll offer my experience up.

For years I used this sound bar with my TV:

http://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-NB3730A-home-theater-system

It worked fine. Obviously it's only stereo, but it get pretty drat loud and never sounds muddy or distorted. The woofer is surprisingly beefy too. If you have an LG TV it automatically turns on/off with the TV.

We still use it with the 32" TV in the master bedroom, and it doubles as a decent Bluetooth speaker too. I haven't been disappointed with it given it only cost like $130. They've since discontinued it, but any of their current 2.1 offerings should be similar.

I would sooner recommend a sound bar in the $100-150 range than any set of speakers + receiver you could get for even twice that.

Granted, I have a fancy home theater set now and it's world's better, but it also cost me a lot more.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was suggesting powered speakers because a lot of people are allergic to all the cabling/complexity involved in a traditional system. Price is a factor too, I'd consider $400 the starting point for good 2.0 using a receiver and passive speakers [unless you're buying used] and there's good powered speakers like the Kantos under $300.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

hamsystem posted:

Nah, it's usually super dark in there. That's where I was leaning anyways. Thanks for the confirmation.

LG OLED is the correct choice. It's such an amazing tv. I've had mine for over a year and it still blows me away.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
TV is ordered, now to (im)patiently wait. Thanks goons.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

qirex posted:

I was suggesting powered speakers because a lot of people are allergic to all the cabling/complexity involved in a traditional system. Price is a factor too, I'd consider $400 the starting point for good 2.0 using a receiver and passive speakers [unless you're buying used] and there's good powered speakers like the Kantos under $300.

I get it. In a round about way I was trying to say that only reason I'd ever buy a sound bar would be for price:performance under $200. I would defer to anyone else's opinion for options above that price point.

Above that point I only really have experience with my full set that cost much more for the receiver alone, and it's definitely pretty bulky. Oh and my parents had one of those dumb $300 theater-in-a-box kits and it was terrible, not that you were suggesting it.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

hamsystem posted:

I was debating the same 2, and ended up going with the 65" Sony, but only because its going to be in a very living bright room, and who ever complained about a TV being too big. If it was for my bedroom I would definitely have gone with the OLED.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I had trouble deciding between the 55" LG OLED and the 65" Sony X900E to replace my 40" HDTV because they are about the same price. I ended up getting the 65" Sony after pondering this page, especially the large graph towards the end: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

I used to feel that such large screens were obscene but having spent the weekend with my new TV I am confident I made the right choice. The 55" would have been dimmer and I would miss out on details I just started paying more for (upgraded my connection and Netflix for 4k). As others have said with 4k unless you are going to sit 2 feet away you want the biggest screen you can fit/afford.

The only things that would have pushed me towards OLED didn't apply; I don't keep the room pitch black for practical reasons and I don't have any seating at wide angles to the TV.

One gripe is that the UI sometimes lags or drops button presses. Most of the time I am not using the menus so I don't care but I can see it driving a certain kind of person nuts. Maybe it will get fixed in a software update.

Overall I am thrilled with my new TV. Many thanks to this thread for recommending rtings.com and the X900E!

Edit: Second gripe is that although it is easy to install Kodi it only runs at 1080p.

Novo fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 21, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I like my Sonos soundbar with Sub.

Pros:
wife approved design
Integrates nicely into sonos system throughout house
Didn’t pay retail
Minimal wires
Minimal space
Fills my modest apartment living room with too much sound at times
I would argue as good as a cheap prepackaged box system, esp with sub quality
Easy as heck to use with Spotify app
Did I mention wife approved

Cons:
Expensive if you pay retail
Not as quality as a stand-alone system
Not sure if new playbase is wide enough to put oled on, I had to get a stand thing for the playbar.
Goons really hate any application of soundbars

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I've seen a couple posts now and I just want to clarify that OLED TVs perform great even in bright living rooms like my own, so don't let that sway you away from them in general. Yes, my Samsung LED TV that is now in my bedroom gets brighter, but you really won't notice the difference when they aren't right next to each other. I keep my OLED light around 75 for its bright setting and it's more than bright enough during peak daylight hours. I'm not trying to talk down about the 900/930 at all, but OLED is still your best bet if you can afford it in the size you want.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is this real? http://www.tvsuperstores.com/LG_C7_...AYaAhDkEALw_wcB

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
No

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Trying to upsell you or may not even fulfill the order

https://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/business-reviews/home-electronics/tvsuperstores-com-in-new-york-ny-150230/reviews-and-complaints

But I am sure the slick deals folks are going to be all over trying to scam their credit card company with price protection using that page.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Expensive if you pay retail

This is worded to seem like you’ve found a workaround....

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

When I watch Netflix on my oled it’s grainy in Dolby vision. Is that a setting on my tv or normal?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve found lots of 4K HDR on Netflix has been grainy in a bad way. And that’s HDR10 for me.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

GreenNight posted:

When I watch Netflix on my oled it’s grainy in Dolby vision. Is that a setting on my tv or normal?

Netflix Originals have added grain for a "natural film look"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ah drat. I was wondering why it looked like poo poo compared to my blu rays.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HDR can really highlight grain and 4k can really resolve it well.

If the Netflix shows bother you, never pick up labyrinth on UHD.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Grainy Bowie weiner!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Film grain is fine. Adding digital noise to simulate that should be a federal offense

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Counterpoint, if everything is tack sharp noise free digital video, cinema becomes visually boring.

We have enough issues with movies using the same color palette and looking all samey.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
I'm thinking of getting this LG 65SJ850A at Costco tomorrow. Is it the same as the sj8500? Best buy has what looks to be the same set here for a little bit more.

I can't seem to find anything about the 65SJ850A other than the specs on the LG website, which lists Costco as the only retailer.

Is there a reason to drop $1k more on the OLED65B7A? I'm going to be playing XBOX One, Wii & watching videos/playing games from a windows PC.

And now after reading more it looks like maybe the XBR65X900E is a better choice for ~$1,500 65". I could pick that up at Best Buy.

Jorath fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 22, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Variable 5 posted:

This is worded to seem like you’ve found a workaround....

I had a 35% off code via my career. It was unable to be shared and has since expired.

I also bought a used "broken" soundbar off of CL that had it's optical port unable to secure a cable. But I was able to rig it for years. Then a beta software update killed it, and Sonos replaced it with a refurbished one for free which was awesome.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Rastor posted:

Netflix Originals have added grain for a "natural film look"

It's fine in some things but really obnoxious in others. I can't stand it in The Punisher for example, it's just something with the way its applied and in HDR on my TV it looks terrible.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I got my 65 B7A. Upgrading from a 55 LG 3d TV and...Well, it's bigger.

But it's really not that huge an upgrade. It definitely looks nicer and all that but I was sitting there looking at it last night and realized that I really didn't need it. I'm sure I will be glad of it in the long run and now our upstairs TV is a 55 inch 3d rather than a 39 inch LCD with a dead pixel in the middle of the screen.

Anyway, if you are on the fence about going 4k and already have a TV that is able to do all you want, perhaps take a breath and really consider how much 4k content will you be viewing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The true blacks blow away LCD performance at any resolution.

I wouldn’t consider the OLED because of 4K, personally. I would consider it because the PQ is the best on the market, hands down. If you don’t care about PQ, then take a breath.