Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Nalin posted:

EDIT: Somehow you are getting stuck with the tablet UI. I'm not sure how that happened for you. Stop doing weird things on your phone.

EDIT 2:

You can try that.

Winner! Enabling developer options and tweaking the smallest width to 479 gives me the more useful layout, albeit at a slight loss of screen space elsewhere. I'm happy it's working now, but I wouldn't call this an intuitive solution - is it really too hard to add a "force layout" option somewhere?

For the record, this was with stock android, I just used the standard settings screen features to shrink the display to show more at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh the latest update breaks SALR and apparently no one's developing it for firefox anymore.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

e: nevermind!

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Desuwa posted:

Does anyone know if it's at all possible to hide context menu entries created by extensions? I've gone through all the native context menu clutter but a bunch of extensions have completely unnecessary context clutter. As far as I can tell the elements for extension context menus cannot be touched by userChrome.css. Ideally I'd want to move the context entries for Open With out of a submenu so it doesn't require as many actions.

Hrm, I dunno about moving context items around but I'm pretty sure you can hide them - I have some stuff in my old FF CSS for that:

code:
/* hide worthless context menu items */
#context-bookmarklink,
#context-sendlink,
#context-copyemail,
#context-setWallpaper,
#context-setDesktopBackground,
#context-sendpage { display:none !important; }
The problem is identifying the element IDs though, I think I got all of these from a list of the default FF ones.

e: asked around and got the answer, the dev toolbox has a button to prevent popups from hiding themselves when Firefox loses focus, so with that you can inspect the DOM for the context menu and get the IDs. for instance, the uBlock "Block element" id is #ublock0_raymondhill_net_uBlock0-blockElement and I successfully tested hiding that.

Read fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 18, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I was using a "Toggle animated GIFs" extension so that Lets Play threads wouldn't slow to a crawl trying to load a ton of animated GIFs at once, but it's been disabled in the new version, and now they won't animate at all. There doesn't seem to be a replacement yet, unless I'm mistaken.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Read posted:

e: asked around and got the answer, the dev toolbox has a button to prevent popups from hiding themselves when Firefox loses focus, so with that you can inspect the DOM for the context menu and get the IDs. for instance, the uBlock "Block element" id is #ublock0_raymondhill_net_uBlock0-blockElement and I successfully tested hiding that.

I was able to do that for native Firefox context menu entries but the context menu items for extensions simply weren't visible in the browser toolbox, though I never found the option to keep menus visible. As far as I could tell they were created dynamically and destroyed as soon as the menu was closed, while the native Firefox items stuck around. A real hassle.

I tried to hide "context-screenshot" but it didn't work. I pulled that ID from the source code for the extension, but it looks like the reason it didn't work is because they're prefixing the ID with some extension metadata to keep them unique.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

^^^ oh

Read posted:

The problem is identifying the element IDs though, I think I got all of these from a list of the default FF ones.

Can you explain in more detail how to do this exactly? As if I'm some moron unaware what the dev console is, pretty much. There is some knowledge base article from around the time of FF3 with context menu item IDs that hasn't been updated and I want to strip out (apparently newer) useless stuff like "take a screenshot" and what not.

Or anyone.

vvv oh

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Desuwa posted:

I was able to do that for native Firefox context menu entries but the context menu items for extensions simply weren't visible in the browser toolbox, though I never found the option to keep menus visible. As far as I could tell they were created dynamically and destroyed as soon as the menu was closed, while the native Firefox items stuck around. A real hassle.

I tried to hide "context-screenshot" but it didn't work. I pulled that ID from the source code for the extension, but it looks like the reason it didn't work is because they're prefixing the ID with some extension metadata to keep them unique.

You're using the remote debugging option right?

quote:

Ctrl-Shift-I -> Gear Icon (Options) -> Header: Advanced Settings -> Check "Enable browser chrome and add-on debugging toolboxes", check "Enable remote debugging" -> Ctrl-Alt-Shift-I -> Allow remote debugging session

Then there's an icon that's four squares arranged in a square, that prevents popups from autohiding so the next context menu you open will stay open when you switch back to the toolbox.

It's possible this is some quirk of the extension(s) you're using though, all I know is it works for uBlock.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Can you explain in more detail how to do this exactly? As if I'm some moron unaware what the dev console is, pretty much. There is some knowledge base article from around the time of FF3 with context menu item IDs that hasn't been updated and I want to strip out (apparently newer) useless stuff like "take a screenshot" and what not.

Assuming you follow the instructions in my previous post to enable and open the remote debugger, here's a clip of me hiding an element.

You'll notice that at first when I inspect the context menu it just gives me the first element in the DOM (big block of text unrelated to what I clicked), so then I mouseover the container element for the context menu and get that. Then I inspect an actual context item. This pulls it into the visible DOM.

Also, I switch to another tab and edit userChrome.css - that doesn't exist by default, you need to create it. see about :profiles, click 'root folder' for your active profile and create a folder "chrome" then create a file inside it "userChrome.css".

Read fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 18, 2017

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Read posted:

You're using the remote debugging option right?

I wasn't clear, I didn't find it last night when using it and I'll have to give it another look once I get home. The combination of the elements being automatically destroyed instead of just hidden and the prefixes Firefox was adding made that made reading the IDs from source code useless was what tripped me up.

E: in the ublock origin source the ID is just "uBlock0-blockElement"

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 18, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Read posted:

Assuming you follow the instructions in my previous post to enable and open the remote debugger, here's a clip of me hiding an element.

You'll notice that at first when I inspect the context menu it just gives me the first element in the DOM (big block of text unrelated to what I clicked), so then I mouseover the container element for the context menu and get that. Then I inspect an actual context item. This pulls it into the visible DOM.

Also, I switch to another tab and edit userChrome.css - that doesn't exist by default, you need to create it. see about :profiles, click 'root folder' for your active profile and create a folder "chrome" then create a file inside it "userChrome.css".
gently caress me sideways, that was extremely helpful. I didn't know about that top left button that tracks what you're pointing at.

Didn't get it to work for the screenshot thing yet, but some more regular stuff is gone already.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

gently caress me sideways, that was extremely helpful. I didn't know about that top left button that tracks what you're pointing at.

Didn't get it to work for the screenshot thing yet, but some more regular stuff is gone already.

If you don't mind losing the entire Firefox screenshot system, you can disable it in about :config with the boolean extensions.screenshots.disabled set to true.

e: You can hide just the context menu with #screenshots_mozilla_org_create-screenshot { display: none; }

Read fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 18, 2017

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Jippa posted:

Feels weird without it doesn't it.

umatrix kind of works but I couldn't get something as simple as embedded youtube videos to work until this afternoon. i don't even remember what magical combination it was that made it work.

i mean, noscript had its own disadvantages but blocking youtube videos wasn't one of them.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

umatrix kind of works but I couldn't get something as simple as embedded youtube videos to work until this afternoon. i don't even remember what magical combination it was that made it work.

i mean, noscript had its own disadvantages but blocking youtube videos wasn't one of them.

Maybe try uBlock only and set it to medium mode? It's not as secure as using uMatrix in conjunction with uBlock, but it's close and a lot less hassle. https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode:-medium-mode. The idea is to default block 3rd party scripts and frames, but allow 1st party. Then if you want to unblock a domain you can just set a local noop rule most of the time. That will allow it to run unless it's also blocked in a filter list, if you still want to enable it despite that then you can set an allow rule. For common stuff, you can set global noops instead. So I have some global noops to allow Youtube, for instance. In the rule list that looks like:

* youtube.com * noop
* ytimg.com * noop

Or in the uBlock grid interface, it's just clicking the grey squares in the left column (global rule column) for those domains.

If you ever don't want to go through the bother to "fix" a site by allowing the right domains to run scripts, then you can just set local noops for 3rd party scripts/frames and you're back to default uBlock mode.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Avenging Dentist posted:

View -> Zoom -> Zoom Text Only

:doh:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Anyone have a way to get Tampermonkey scripts and Snap Links Plus' 57+ compatible version to obey my browser settings for opening new tabs?

That is, I always want a new tab to open at the end of the tab bar, rather than to have each new tab open directly next to the tab I'm opening them out of, which is what both of those extensions are doing right now. Opening a link in a new tab manually puts it at the end as I want.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Read posted:

If you don't mind losing the entire Firefox screenshot system, you can disable it in about :config with the boolean extensions.screenshots.disabled set to true.

e: You can hide just the context menu with #screenshots_mozilla_org_create-screenshot { display: none; }
My problem was that I added the word context in front of the latter solution by mistake.

Thanks a million, again. Teach a man to fish.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Annoyingly Firefox also suffixes IDs for submenus for extensions with the index of that extension, so if you want to reliably hide those you'll end up with a rule like menu[id^=treestyletab_piro_sakura_ne_jp] because the full ID is treestyletab_piro_sakura_ne_jp_3 where the 3 can change if you install or remove other extensions.

It's possible to make context submenu items appear to be top level, but without some real scripting it doesn't seem possible to make them actually clickable because one of their ancestors has attributes that keeps them disabled.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

umatrix kind of works but I couldn't get something as simple as embedded youtube videos to work until this afternoon.

Assuming you're using default uMatrix settings, add this to rules to allow YT everywhere:
code:
* googlevideo.com * allow
* googlevideo.com frame allow
* youtube-nocookie.com * allow
* youtube-nocookie.com frame allow
* youtube.com * allow
* youtube.com frame allow
If you added a generic * * script block rule to make up for the lack of NoScript, then add the respective * YT script allow rules for all of the above.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 18, 2017

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I was using a "Toggle animated GIFs" extension so that Lets Play threads wouldn't slow to a crawl trying to load a ton of animated GIFs at once, but it's been disabled in the new version, and now they won't animate at all. There doesn't seem to be a replacement yet, unless I'm mistaken.

Me too, I think we're hosed. I miss it already.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If anyone else is missing YouTube Centre, I started using Enhancer for YouTube and it's good poo poo.

The main things I want is to force play in max res and to have the player fill most the screen and have a dark background. It manages all three.

It also cuts out ads. Let's you run custom themes. Stops play in unfocused tabs. All the good poo poo.

fishmech posted:

Anyone have a way to get Tampermonkey scripts and Snap Links Plus' 57+ compatible version to obey my browser settings for opening new tabs?

That is, I always want a new tab to open at the end of the tab bar, rather than to have each new tab open directly next to the tab I'm opening them out of, which is what both of those extensions are doing right now. Opening a link in a new tab manually puts it at the end as I want.

This annoyed the hell out of me too, so I went to the developer's website. It's apparently an issue with how Firefox does things now. They're working on fixing it because the majority of their users want tabs to open at the end of the row.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ugh its Troika posted:

Ugh the latest update breaks SALR and apparently no one's developing it for firefox anymore.

Yes, it really really sucks.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Read posted:

I swear I don't have this on mine, we're talking this 4 square button right? https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Browser_Toolbox#Debugging_popups

If not can you explain the steps a little more.

EDIT: Whoops, Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I and F12 are different...

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 18, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I reinstalled firefox 56 after my browser auto updated to 57 and broke all my poo poo. As of last night, I get a blank page on something awful anytime I go to a thread via the "last unread post" link. If I remove "&goto=newpost" from the URL it's fine. I use noscript and adblockplus but this still happened with both of them disabled. what is up with that?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Amazingly Firefox 57 still doesn't deliver a smooth scrolling experience. This is just loving pathetic, it's really no better than 52 ESR.

Resource usage was fine, both CPU and GPU were idle and memory usage was low, but I noticed that scrolling was hitching a little. Just on regular plain sites like SA or stackoverflow. I don't have a lot of extensions because a lot of extensions just don't work anymore.

A restart of Firefox fixed it but after the damage this transition has done I expected this to be a problem of the past.

e: at least Firefox restarts faster, which is the only improvement I've consistently noticed.

Closing tabs with videos playing might have regressed compared to 52 ESR. It gets really slow after using the browser for a few hours.

e2: I've been restarting Firefox constantly while changing userChrome, so it's always "fresh" and has no excuses. I barely have any tabs loaded into memory where 52 ESR was fine after a month or more of staying open.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 18, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Desuwa posted:

Amazingly Firefox 57 still doesn't deliver a smooth scrolling experience. This is just loving pathetic, it's really no better than 52 ESR.

Resource usage was fine, both CPU and GPU were idle and memory usage was low, but I noticed that scrolling was hitching a little. Just on regular plain sites like SA or stackoverflow. I don't have a lot of extensions because a lot of extensions just don't work anymore.

Is it a little hitch every now and then while you are scrolling or constant, like every tick of the scroll wheel? I had problems with sessionstore write causing lag every 10 seconds or so, scroll or any other input would stop. No longer a problem on 57, but that might be a coincidence. If this is the case, you can search for sessionstore in about :config, disable it and see if it makes a difference. Not sure if there's a way to fix it, tab undo and session recovery is pretty useful after all. My problem just went away with the upgrade.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Ola posted:

Is it a little hitch every now and then while you are scrolling or constant, like every tick of the scroll wheel? I had problems with sessionstore write causing lag every 10 seconds or so, scroll or any other input would stop. No longer a problem on 57, but that might be a coincidence. If this is the case, you can search for sessionstore in about :config, disable it and see if it makes a difference. Not sure if there's a way to fix it, tab undo and session recovery is pretty useful after all. My problem just went away with the upgrade.

It was a little hitch now and then. I have a mouse that'll let me unlock the scroll wheel and I just found a long page and scrolled up and down while spinning the wheel at high speed.

If I notice it again maybe I'll play with sessionstore settings but I wouldn't expect a restart to fix it if that was the problem.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i reinstalled 56 because 57 broke stuff and i don't like that. is there any real reason to upgrade to 57?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

where the red fern gropes posted:

i reinstalled 56 because 57 broke stuff and i don't like that. is there any real reason to upgrade to 57?

It's faster? Also, if you don't want to go to 57 switch to 52 ESR so you keep getting security updates.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anyone happen to have the stylish/stylus or greasemonkey thing to give the old breadcrumbs back ?

i have it look like this in Chrome using the SomethingAwful Fixes extension

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I've got SomethingAwful fixes installed in my FF and it gives me full breadcrumbs. I think it does a fair few other things as well.

I'm not sure if it's officially maintained anywhere, but here's the code from my install:

https://pastebin.com/BjfJy6E0

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Buff Skeleton posted:

I've got SomethingAwful fixes installed in my FF and it gives me full breadcrumbs. I think it does a fair few other things as well.

I'm not sure if it's officially maintained anywhere, but here's the code from my install:

:neckbeard: thnx heaps champ.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there some way to get Firefox to actively sync between PC/phone/tablet? Like not just being able to see what's on other devices, but actively have the same open/closed tabs.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

where the red fern gropes posted:

If you recently switched to Firefox and don't have a collection of add-ons.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Buff Skeleton posted:

Thanks for that! The URL I have for the original set of fixes gives a 404 these days, sadly.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Was there any solution to the notification bar turning white on Android? I didn't really notice it during the day but now that it's night it's REALLY bright and annoying.

EDIT: Private browsing mode makes the notification bar a dark shade, so I guess I'll use that for now since 75% of my browsing doesn't need me to log in. I still hope there's a solution though.

effika fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 19, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I really like 57 as a recent switcher, but if you're obsessed enough to stay on 56 forever and not just until a few things you like might move over (and seemingly SALR is at "never" which will impact some people), then you may want to go ahead and try Pale Moon and see if it works with your favorite extensions since unlike 56 at least it's still getting updates.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 19, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I really like 57 as a recent switcher, but if you're obsessed enough to stay on 56 forever and not just until a few things you like might move over (and seemingly SALR is at "never" which will impact some people), then you may want to go ahead and try Pale Moon and see if it works with your favorite extensions since unlike 56 at least it's still getting updates.

Better ESR than Pale Moon, though it's sadly only a temporary solution.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Apparently nobody bothered to implement any way to rearrange pinned sites in the new New Tab interface, so you have to use about:config to go back to the old one and drag and drop things. Firefox is weird. :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Desuwa posted:

If I notice it again maybe I'll play with sessionstore settings but I wouldn't expect a restart to fix it if that was the problem.

That's exactly what it did for me. When the session got big enough (no. of tabs both open and undoable, content heavy seemed to matter as well) I think there was something inefficient by the way the session was saved, so it glitched the browser every time it was saved. When I closed all and reopened the same tabs, the glitching was gone.