Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Statutory Ape posted:

Thats the model I want (although i was going to order the fingerprint scanner). If they have a better price than dell.com ill get a membership just to order that poo poo.

Thanks for bringing that up

Pretty much anyone can make good use of a Costco membership, so it's absolutely worth it in general. Went to Costco today because I love going there on weekends during the holidays :suicide: and played with the xps 13 a little. It's a slick little package for sure. The display was gorgeous. I still need to look around at other things of course since I could probably get something similar that isn't overkill at a better price. However, I do like setting money on fire, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I’m starting to think this laptop is a freakin steal for $600 via Craigslist.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-q534ux-...A/dp/B01HAQFZ3I

Sorry guys, I’ll be out of your hair soon lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

89 posted:

I’m starting to think this laptop is a freakin steal for $600 via Craigslist.

Sorry guys, I’ll be out of your hair soon lol

The price listed by that Amazon 3rd party seller is insanely incorrect. That thing is a $400 Walmart special at most.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

The price listed by that Amazon 3rd party seller is insanely incorrect. That thing is a $400 Walmart special at most.

I don't think you'll get a 4k screen in any $400 Walmart special, nor an SSD that large, nor 16GB of RAM. Not even close.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

dissss posted:

I don't think you'll get a 4k screen in any $400 Walmart special, nor an SSD that large, nor 16GB of RAM. Not even close.

It’s also an i7 and has an additional 2TB of HDD space on the additional hard drive

Seems in my reading, it’s comparable to a Lenovo Yoga 720 (which the Yoga wins out, but that’s at comparing it at its original price point of $1300....I’m talking the same machine for $600)

Seems the general knock on it is that it “spoofs” 4K. But honestly 4K seems a bit much for a 15.6” sceeen IMO. I was gonna be happy with 1080p. So anything more is a plus. But again, that’s in comparing it to a $1000+ Yoga 720.

89 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 18, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
'i7' is neither here nor there - it's still a dual core so is only marginally faster than the equivalent dual core i5 (like <5%)

My point about screens was you really need to go and look at the one you intend to buy - even if you can find a review of the exact same model there is no guarantee the one you end up with will have the same panel (and as mentioned there are still some terrible 1080p panels available)

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
What I’m seeing from my less informed eyes is that I can..

Spend $500:
- Hardly Used
- i7 7500
- 8GB RAM
- 256 SSD
- 1080p
http://www.qvc.com/Acer-Aspire-156%...-000-000&TZ=EST

- New
- i3 7100
- 8 GB RAM
- 256 SSD
- 1080p
- the total is $500 after ram and SSD upgrades to get it to those specs
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K1IO3QW/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Or

Spend $600:
- Hardly Used
- i7-7500
- 16GB RAM
- 512 SSD + 2TB HDD
- “4K”
- A knock on the battery life. Sounds like about 2 hours. Which isn’t the end of the world, but notable
- Touchscreen + tablet mode (could be useful for class notes)

My only thought is that I don’t care about gaming on whatever laptop I get. This might be too powerful for what I need it for (Adobe Suite + College), buuuuut that seems like a poo poo ton of stuff for an extra $100

89 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 18, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

dissss posted:

You're right, I misread it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Anyone has any experience/thoughts on the new Microsoft Surface Book 2? I'm considering selling my 2017 Razer Blade and my 2013 rMBP 15" to fund one, but would like some opinions.

Background: I own a Razer Blade 2017, because I'm constantly traveling for work and want something I can game on that doesn't look like it was designed by a 12 year old pro-gamer wannabe. I've had it for over six months now and I'm still not used to the large bezels and I can't get over the lovely trackpad. Owners online usually claim you won't mind the bezels after a while, but for me it has been the opposite, as time passes my revulsion for them only increases. It feels like I'm using a laptop from 2007. The bad trackpad with tiny buttons is another UI annoyance. So when I'm home I never use it. Instead, I divide my time between my gaming desktop and my old 2013 15" Macbook Pro, which I was supposed to sell to fund the Razer but I just can't bring myself to because I actually enjoying using the Mac and hate using the Razer for anything other than gaming.

Now this Surface Book 2 looks like the holy grail trifecta of design, UI, and performance. It packs a Geforce 1060, a sweet 3:2 screen with normal sized bezels, and what is supposed to be a very good trackpad and keyboard. Plus the insane battery life, and the detachable screen gimmick. BUT, its expensive AF. And it looks like it packs a 15w CPU instead of a 40w CPU, is this gonna make it slower than the Razer Blade? The lack of Thunderbolt 3 is unfortunate but not a deal breaker. I've also read some disturbing reviews that while gaming the battery will discharge fully even with the power brick connected.

So yeah, anyone else on the same boat of trying to justify the extravagant expense but nervous that it tries to do too much and will be a dud?

Animal fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 19, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

89 posted:

What I’m seeing from my less informed eyes is that I can..

Spend $500:
- Hardly Used
- i7 7500
- 8GB RAM
- 256 SSD
- 1080p
http://www.qvc.com/Acer-Aspire-156%...-000-000&TZ=EST

- New
- i3 7100
- 8 GB RAM
- 256 SSD
- 1080p
- the total is $500 after ram and SSD upgrades to get it to those specs
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K1IO3QW/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Or

Spend $600:
- Hardly Used
- i7-7500
- 16GB RAM
- 512 SSD + 2TB HDD
- “4K”
- A knock on the battery life. Sounds like about 2 hours. Which isn’t the end of the world, but notable
- Touchscreen + tablet mode (could be useful for class notes)

My only thought is that I don’t care about gaming on whatever laptop I get. This might be too powerful for what I need it for (Adobe Suite + College), buuuuut that seems like a poo poo ton of stuff for an extra $100

Alternatively: there's that $600 Acer that's 5 pounds but has like 6+ hours of battery life. Out of stock at amazon right now (but not unavailable, just backordered with no back in stock date) https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i5-8250U-GeForce-E5-576G-5762/dp/B075FLBJV7/

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Animal posted:

Anyone has any experience/thoughts on the new Microsoft Surface Book 2? I'm considering selling my 2017 Razer Blade and my 2013 rMBP 15" to fund one, but would like some opinions.

Background: I own a Razer Blade 2017, because I'm constantly traveling for work and want something I can game on that doesn't look like it was designed by a 12 year old pro-gamer wannabe. I've had it for over six months now and I'm still not used to the large bezels and I can't get over the lovely trackpad. Owners online usually claim you won't mind the bezels after a while, but for me it has been the opposite, as time passes my revulsion for them only increases. It feels like I'm using a laptop from 2007. The bad trackpad with tiny buttons is another UI annoyance. So when I'm home I never use it. Instead, I divide my time between my gaming desktop and my old 2013 15" Macbook Pro, which I was supposed to sell to fund the Razer but I just can't bring myself to because I actually enjoying using the Mac and hate using the Razer for anything other than gaming.

Now this Surface Book 2 looks like the holy grail trifecta of design, UI, and performance. It packs a Geforce 1060, a sweet 3:2 screen with normal sized bezels, and what is supposed to be a very good trackpad and keyboard. Plus the insane battery life, and the detachable screen gimmick. BUT, its expensive AF. And it looks like it packs a 15w CPU instead of a 40w CPU, is this gonna make it slower than the Razer Blade? The lack of Thunderbolt 3 is unfortunate but not a deal breaker. I've also read some disturbing reviews that while gaming the battery will discharge fully even with the power brick connected.

So yeah, anyone else on the same boat of trying to justify the extravagant expense but nervous that it tries to do too much and will be a dud?

I got the basic one. I'd believe those reviews about the power brick the one that came with mine is 44w. I believe they make a bigger one. The machine feels well built and is a real answer to the Mac Pro. Oh well it's better than the new macs since those have a lovely keyboard because apparently being slightly thinner is what matters.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 19, 2017

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

havenwaters posted:

Alternatively: there's that $600 Acer that's 5 pounds but has like 6+ hours of battery life. Out of stock at amazon right now (but not unavailable, just backordered with no back in stock date) https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i5-8250U-GeForce-E5-576G-5762/dp/B075FLBJV7/

Yeah, I saw that Reddit really liked that one on /LaptopDeals and it seems its processor is better, too but half the SSD size, no extra HD, and half the ram, but less chance of getting raped and/or killed. Not necessarily in that order.

I don't knowwwwww :cry:

89 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 19, 2017

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

I got the basic one. I'd believe those reviews about the power brick the one that came with mine is 44w. I believe they make a bigger one. The machine feels well built and is a real answer to the Mac Pro. Oh well it's better than the new macs since those have a lovely keyboard because apparently being slightly thinner is what matters.

I might have two laptops for sale on SA Mart as soon as they start shipping the SB2.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Animal posted:

The dave did a review on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJEFIQSdsqw

tldr, it's very cool if you can justify the cost and if it meets your needs, but it's not the most powerful machine and it has a few weird decisions for a flagship (like no Thunderbolt 3)

This is the 13" though, not the 15. And lol that the 15's power brick can't even power the laptop

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CFox posted:

Well a 1060 is pretty much comparable to a 970 last I checked. I'd just go with the Surface 15 and forget about the desktop entirely. Of course this entirely depends on the 1060 in the Surface book not throttling itself to death so I'd be sure to check reviews on that. With as thin as the Surface Books are I'd be very surprised if it didn't have aggressive throttling.

dissss posted:

Also even if you plug it in the battery will drain during an extended gaming session. The only way I can see MS 'fixing' this is further throttling to keep power consumption down.
Upon further review and the SB2-15" arriving, I'm gonna swap down to the 13". The 1050 will handle the games I play fine, and I don't mind turning down settings to ensure that. The 15" is just *big* when I've used the 13" for so long.
Plus my GF was like "its bigger and the 13" already took up too much of your chest while we're laying in bed". So there's that.

Duck and Cover posted:

The 13" no dGPU is that power brick. The dGPU gets you a bigger brick and the 15" gets an even bigger one. But yeah, on the 15"/dGPU the surface connector is maxed out and it can't quite power the CPU and GPU when they are both maxing out.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Upon further review and the SB2-15" arriving, I'm gonna swap down to the 13". The 1050 will handle the games I play fine, and I don't mind turning down settings to ensure that. The 15" is just *big* when I've used the 13" for so long.
Plus my GF was like "its bigger and the 13" already took up too much of your chest while we're laying in bed". So there's that.

The 13" no dGPU is that power brick. The dGPU gets you a bigger brick and the 15" gets an even bigger one. But yeah, on the 15"/dGPU the surface connector is maxed out and it can't quite power the CPU and GPU when they are both maxing out.

That makes sense but seriously give me a bigger brick! That's pretty drat dumb that they wouldn't give you a brick big enough to power even a maxed out laptop. I think 13"-14" is the right size with laptops bigger really feels too big to me. Most importantly though it doesn't have garbage unique drivers. It does however have annoying intel screen (hold on got to look this up...) intel display saving technology which I I dislike very much. It dims the computer when the display is displaying something dark. It does however beat Samsungs battery saving technique which was to make colors murky and look like trash on battery.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 19, 2017

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
2 days into my SB2 (15inch/i7/16gig/1tb) and it's the dream laptop I've always wanted. I have zero complaints. I haven't really put it through its paces, just doing some basic photoshop cs6 stuff, and using it as a reader in tablet mode since it's been on a studio job where I have a ton of downtime. I'm coming from a 10" 16:10 2560x1600 detachable, so the 15 inch tab in portrait was a little bit of a shellshock, but being able to have a full 8x11 page without any fuckery is just plain nice. The stylus has been fantastic too, but I've only used it as a text input thus far. It actually does a pretty killer job at deciphering my awful handwriting which is impressive by itself. I draw, and with a lot of small lines and intricate detail so I'm excited to put it through the paces with gaming/drawing/editing raw/prores 444 and 2k-4k files. With complete care and the stylus it was more then my 30" ultrasharp qhd monitor + 3770k + 1080 + 16 gig ram + 256 ssd + psu/case desktop build...by a lot..which really bugs me out tbh. I never thought the mac book pro would be the "cheap"
option..but this thing pisses all over it.

I've been using win7 since that desktop build so I'm sure I'll need an extra day to really customize win10 back to something that makes more sense to me. That said tablet mode + ports of the android apps I had on my last tablet haven't been THAT bad...they are all like 80% feature parity but haven't been updated in like 1-2 years. It's still kinda crazy to have a 15 inch tablet instagram client...

tldr: my dream laptop finally comes out, costs so much I'm ashamed to actually say numbers to other humans.

Also the USB port in the power brick of the PSU is actually kind of nice..is that on apple bricks too?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

That makes sense but seriously give me a bigger brick! That's pretty drat dumb that they wouldn't give you a brick big enough to power even a maxed out laptop. I think 13"-14" is the right size with laptops bigger really feels too big to me. Most importantly though it doesn't have garbage unique drivers. It does however have annoying intel screen (hold on got to look this up...) intel display saving technology which I I dislike very much. It dims the computer when the display is displaying something dark. It does however beat Samsungs battery saving technique which was to make colors murky and look like trash on battery.
So the big thing for the design goal was backwards compatibility. They kept the surface connector for power, with a 100W maximum; and they kept the surface connector between the clipboard and keyboard, which lacks the bandwidth for TB3. 100W isn't enough to power the CPU and GPU, so it slowly discharges the battery. To be fair, 100W is a lot, but the 1060 is hungry.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MobileTechReview has their review up with plenty of benchmarks. Looks like it matches the Razer Blade on 3Dmark Firestrike. This might be it, the closest to perfect laptop ever created.
https://youtu.be/uI23RItDDDg

Ordered. Ships 11/30

I hate myself.

Animal fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 19, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Do you guys know if I join costco (to order that xps 13) if joining will allow immediate member access to their website?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I now slightly regret my AW13R3 purchase. I'm happy that such a thing exists when I inevitably upgrade in 3-5 years.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

fknlo posted:

Pretty much anyone can make good use of a Costco membership, so it's absolutely worth it in general. Went to Costco today because I love going there on weekends during the holidays :suicide: and played with the xps 13 a little. It's a slick little package for sure. The display was gorgeous. I still need to look around at other things of course since I could probably get something similar that isn't overkill at a better price. However, I do like setting money on fire, so there's that.

yes, they're good memberships to have. altho in my case its going to be wholly redundant

but even with the membership i'll net a savings on that laptop vs what dell has it for right now so :shrug: idgaf

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Costco membership has been a net positive for me just on gas, even ignoring everything else.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
any good black friday/cyber monday laptop deals going? or point me to where i should find them? goon recommended ones of course

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Hi all,

I'm leasing a new office and I need a computer for it.

I have this laptop:

https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GS60-Ghost-Pro-GTX-970M.html

I was thinking of using it as a desktop replacement since it is an amazing machine and I hardly ever use it.

Can anyone recommend a decent dock for it (do I even need one)?

Ideal situation would be a dual- or ultrawide monitor setup with an external keyboard and mouse that I could plug-and-play with the machine and also keep it charged.

I very much appreciate any feedback.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

beergod posted:

Hi all,

I'm leasing a new office and I need a computer for it.

I have this laptop:

https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GS60-Ghost-Pro-GTX-970M.html

I was thinking of using it as a desktop replacement since it is an amazing machine and I hardly ever use it.

Can anyone recommend a decent dock for it (do I even need one)?

Ideal situation would be a dual- or ultrawide monitor setup with an external keyboard and mouse that I could plug-and-play with the machine and also keep it charged.

I very much appreciate any feedback.

While you probably don't need a docking solution, since you're apparently just going to use this as a desktop, this is a good choice if you do decide to go this route. You could probably just be fine with a much cheaper, single USB3 hub to attach all your peripherals, but in reality you probably have enough USB ports on the laptop itself, and ideally you'd connect an external display to the laptop's HDMI port itself rather than using the DisplayLink functionality of the linked dock.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

My girlfriend is looking for a new Windows laptop, especially with Black Friday/Cyber Monday approaching. Even if nothing 'good' pops up, it's about that time.

Aside from 'usual' use, she'll be doing some light Photoshop/Illustrator use, but mainly using the building information modeling software called Revit. Since its somewhat taxing, I've gotten as far as some sort of i7, 16GB of RAM, and an SSD.

She's brand-agnostic, and it doesn't matter if it's refurbished or not. The budget would be $1K or so. Is that realistic?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

EconOutlines posted:

My girlfriend is looking for a new Windows laptop, especially with Black Friday/Cyber Monday approaching. Even if nothing 'good' pops up, it's about that time.

Aside from 'usual' use, she'll be doing some light Photoshop/Illustrator use, but mainly using the building information modeling software called Revit. Since its somewhat taxing, I've gotten as far as some sort of i7, 16GB of RAM, and an SSD.

She's brand-agnostic, and it doesn't matter if it's refurbished or not. The budget would be $1K or so. Is that realistic?

Do you actually need 16gb ram or was that just a number you picked? If thats negotiable to 8gb, boy do i have the xps13 for you

E: helios 300 comedy option

E2: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0772DSRVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_8kUeAb92KRFVP i7/ssd (with 1tb spinner) / 16 gb ram/ fhd screen

Worf fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 20, 2017

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife's grandmother is looking for a new laptop. She needs Windows because she deals with Office documents pretty much exclusively. She's also looking for something lighter than what she has now (not sure what that is; she didn't bring it with her on her visit). Other than that, nothing fancy. I think she would really prefer to buy from a brick-and-mortar store while she's visiting. Any recommendations?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

Do you actually need 16gb ram or was that just a number you picked? If thats negotiable to 8gb, boy do i have the xps13 for you

E: helios 300 comedy option

E2: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0772DSRVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_8kUeAb92KRFVP i7/ssd (with 1tb spinner) / 16 gb ram/ fhd screen

Thanks for the 2nd link. What would the pricing be on the XPS13 with 8GB vs 16GB?

I picked 16GB due to laptops limited upgrade capabilities and wanting it to last 3 years or so with things growing more memory hungry.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lol, dell has the 16gb option on the xps13 as basically a $400-500 option. Its real great. At least in USA, it's only bundled with the QHD touch screen.

I am still opting for the 16gb myself but I resent both myself and dell for it and i won't even buy it until friday

E: 8 gb you can do @ or under 1k, $1500+ for the 16gb version. Maybe less from costco.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Hello thread, I'm looking at getting my son a laptop for Xmas, he'll be using it for school work (hopefully), watching media like youtube/netflix etc and a bit of light gaming. I'm in the UK so prices are crazy over here (gently caress brexit) but I've found this HP 250 G6 i5 with what I guess are decent specs for the price over here https://www.ebuyer.com/805720-hp-250-g6-i5-laptop-2sy46es-2sy46es-abu.

Its £450 for the i5-7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, a 256GB SSD, and a 1080p screen.

Are there any reasons not to go for this or could someone recommend something better? I don't really want to spend any more than £450.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is there a standout BF or CyberMonday deal so far or should I just use the B&N + Black Friday discount on a Lenovo T470s?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Statutory Ape posted:

Lol, dell has the 16gb option on the xps13 as basically a $400-500 option. Its real great. At least in USA, it's only bundled with the QHD touch screen.

I am still opting for the 16gb myself but I resent both myself and dell for it and i won't even buy it until friday

E: 8 gb you can do @ or under 1k, $1500+ for the 16gb version. Maybe less from costco.

Theres one for $870 in SA-Mart

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

Theres one for $870 in SA-Mart

theres a 16 gb XPS 13 with the 8550 processor for $870 in SA mart?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Statutory Ape posted:

theres a 16 gb XPS 13 with the 8550 processor for $870 in SA mart?

Sorry, 7560u

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a standout BF or CyberMonday deal so far or should I just use the B&N + Black Friday discount on a Lenovo T470s?

This is really tempting.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10755499-b...earchBarV2Algo1

Pompadour Diamond
Mar 21, 2013

Hadlock posted:

once you put in a new SSD $100, new monitor $100, more ram $100 you're halfway to a new thinkpad. You probably need a new battery too, so that's $350 to keep it running, vs $800 for a brand new laptop with 3x the battery life.

You're right on the edge of repair vs replace, really its up to you. The x280 doesn't have thunderbolt 3 yet which is why i don't fully recommend it.

In that case, I think I will get a new one. This laptop has done a good job over the years, but I'm probably at a better point to get a new laptop now than I will be a few years later. Thanks everyone.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Animal posted:

I ended up buying the SB2 15". The laptop has been flawless so far. No dead pixels or light bleed. No coil whine. Smooth performance while gaming. Great DPI and remarkable image quality. The trackpad is the best I've ever used, though I've never owned a Mac. The keyboard feels fantastic, best I've ever tried on a laptop; there's a real tactile feel to it. The 15"@3:2 aspect ratio is a dream come true as someone who writes and edits photos. You can use the Xbox One controller with no latency. Coming from an XPS 13, I don't mind the bezels. But now that you mentioned them...

Downsides: The screen is a bit unwieldy as a tablet, but it's still light enough relax in bed with while watching a movie or browsing the internet. The headphone port is in a terrible place for a laptop and I plan on buying USB-C earbuds to compensate. The volume is a bit low. The latest Microsoft update removed the split digital keyboard for the tablet. I haven't experienced the power drain while gaming, but it's been reported enough times to be worried. And, of course, the entire laptop can't be repaired.

The SB2 is less powerful than other 1060 laptops, but when I looked at the Razer/Asus/Gigabyte offerings in person they felt so shabby in comparison. I'm not focused on high spec gaming so it's not a big deal to me.

If you have any specific questions, shoot.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Animal posted:

MobileTechReview has their review up with plenty of benchmarks. Looks like it matches the Razer Blade on 3Dmark Firestrike. This might be it, the closest to perfect laptop ever created.
https://youtu.be/uI23RItDDDg

Ordered. Ships 11/30

I hate myself.
Let me know when you are going to sell your Mac