Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

StashAugustine posted:

Also, is there any way to get immunity against particular afflictions (particularly Confused/Charmed)?
Any Inspiration of the Attribute an Affliction debuffs (Int, IIRC for Confused/Charmed) should be counter them.

As another example, a Frenzied barb should be able to neutralize any Mig or Con Affliction by having Strong and Fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
People never seem to consider it, but I'm actually using a one-handed saber with no off-hand weapon on my swordmage at the moment. It seems the best option if you want to crit a lot with autoattacks, which you specifically might want to do with your PC if you align with the Doemenels and later the trapped adventuring party for a total of 40% extra crit damage but aren't a class with full attacks. Then add one of the sabers or other increased crit damage weapons (+50%), durgan steel modifier (+30%), and maybe the gloves or headpiece that increase crit damage (+10%). e: Unless I'm confused about how the stacking works, this should mean that crits do damage * 1.5 (base) + 0.4 (talents) + 0.5 (weapon modifier) +0.3 (durgan) +0.1 (accessory) for a total of damage * 2.8, ie, 280% damage. Also subject to any errors in my understanding, the talents and accessory should apply to spell damage (but not duration), for 50% more damage on spell crits.

It seems like this was designed with Rogues in mind, but ironically, they boost their crit too easily without it and would prefer a 2H or DW for full attacks.

An idea, Rope Kid: a source of substantial extra critical damage using a single 1H weapon, along with the accuracy and increased crit rate w/talent. This makes intuitive sense for the same reason the increased crit rate and accuracy do; if you are trying to land an especially devastating blow on a vulnerable point, a single well-balanced weapon in your dominant hand is going to be the easiest thing to work with.

Also consider giving some Rogue attack abilities and/or their sneak attack significant bonuses for using small fast weapons (ie daggers) to convey the idea of skillfully placing a blade where it will do the most harm, although this seems like something you would have already considered.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 19, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Akong posted:

Bring back ya boi:

Or I'm writing up an angry steam review on the beta. This is your last warning. I will never give up the fight for justice and you will feel the power of my retribution in this life through to the next.

new game who dis

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ProfessorCirno posted:

Not in the beta, but I'm hearing a decent about of disgruntlement over single class characters being dramatically worse off then multiclass ones, with some sub-classes basically not existing outside of multiclass (Stalker's a big one). What are people here experience as far as single class and subclass balance?

Needs polish. The main problem is it's a beta so it's short and there's a level cap anyway so why not multiclass?

That said some subclasses seem a lot more viable as a multiclass than as a single. For example Ascendant cipher gives -1 power level utnil you max out focus, so you're best taking a damage dealing accessory class, maxing your focus, THEN ciphering away at +3 power level.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Hodgepodge posted:

Also consider giving some Rogue attack abilities and/or their sneak attack significant bonuses for using small fast weapons (ie daggers) to convey the idea of skillfully placing a blade where it will do the most harm, although this seems like something you would have already considered.

I would argue this is already modeled. Not in the form of the rogue class, but in the form of stilleto penetration.

Honestly, I appreciate that PoE rogues aren't 100% pushed into weird dual dagger stabbymans that D&D 3e had popularized but never actually existed in any way. Daggers aren't like, "mainhand weapons" in that sense; they're personal defense for non-professional fighters. The dagger in PoE 2, at least going off it's modal, is exactly what it was most of the time for a professional fighter - something you have in your offhand defensively, like a buckler, but you can also shank a fucker with it if needed.

Which brings me to my next question: retaliation. Does it still exist? Do rogues still have their riposte talent? Is it better? Can I finally rapier and dagger it up properly? Because my usual I'm-a-piece-of-poo poo-with-low-creativity fantasyman of dual sabers seems to be doing just peachy, apparently, hahaha.

I eagerly await the three or four posts that immediately prove me wrong about historical daggers, incidentally.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

but dual dagger stabbymans are cool....

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

frajaq posted:

but dual dagger stabbymans are cool....

Replace dagger with stilleto - which to be frank is how D&D always kinda treated daggers anyways - and it still works just fine!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Shattered Pillar monk / soulblade cipher (or whatever they’re called) multiclass seems decent, my initial build of Shattered Pillar / Bleak Walker wasn’t as much, though that may have been either my own bad management. PEN is getting a little more legible in fights, but it’s a few tweaks away from really singing as a system.

Quest spoilers: There may be some sequencing breaks / bugs with the ruins quest. You can discern a cursed object that the priestess planted on the Vailians (caught it with cipher power but assume arcane or religion skill might catch it as well) but nothing actually came of it, maybe because I hadn’t spoken to the priestess before embarking for the ruins. I pointed the curse out to the dwarf and he told me to bring it to the Chief but there was no prompt to do so.

Also, icymi it was mentioned by a dev that there are compound dialogue checks that aren’t displaying correctly right now. Specifically there are options that you can only see if you’re both Island Aumua and sourced from the Deadfire. I can’t imagine there are a ton of compound checks beyond that, but it’s possible.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

Shattered Pillar monk / soulblade cipher (or whatever they’re called) multiclass seems decent,

Yea, I just finished (I think?) the beta with that combo and it owned. I think it and the Shifter/Barb could do it alone, that combo is feeling nuts as well.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The new Eder pic looks a lot like James Cromwell to me, at least around the eyes and nose. Anyone else see that?

"That'll do Durance. That'll do."

Octo1
May 7, 2009
The accuracy bonus from Binding Block is suppressed by Needle Strike :saddowns:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

:v:

custom races/backgrounds/cultures are easy to add, unfortunately you won't get custom dialogue options for custom cultures (obviously). I'm trying to see where the shopkeepers inventory is stored but I think that might be in another file. The shopkeeper having every weapon available would make testing builds much easier.

so far my modding requests for obsidian:
1. an overwrite folder system similar to the witcher 3, where you can just chuck assets in it and it'll either overwrite existing assets (similar to loading loose files vs. bsa's in gamebryo) or let you use new ones you put in there. Overwriting your base files works but is very very sloppy.
2. some kind of asset browser? an easy way to match the images with the names
3. a way to edit the placement of npcs in the world. It doesn't have to be the world editor but maybe some script that can place an npc at a specific location on map creation?
4. optional but would be great: some kind of editing tool that isn't parsing json, ideally linking things like items to attacks and skill trees to abilities automatically

with that said, if anyone wants something changed to test (pen levels, monster hp, weapon damage, skill damage, ability effects) lemme know :thumbsup:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

1. an overwrite folder system similar to the witcher 3, where you can just chuck assets in it and it'll either overwrite existing assets (similar to loading loose files vs. bsa's in gamebryo) or let you use new ones you put in there. Overwriting your base files works but is very very sloppy.

Do you forget what thread this is? You mean an override folder like Baldur's Gate!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Regarding single- vs. multiclass: at the starting level of the Beta (level 6), single-class characters get two abilities from power level 3 while multis are still stuck at level 2. How significant that is depends a bit on your class, but there were definitely situations where I was glad to have the extra oomph.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Adding to that, power level 3 is when you can upgrade level 1 active abilities, and those upgrades are strong. So single-class characters can have an edge when it comes to efficiency.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ProfessorCirno posted:

Which brings me to my next question: retaliation. Does it still exist? Do rogues still have their riposte talent? Is it better? Can I finally rapier and dagger it up properly? Because my usual I'm-a-piece-of-poo poo-with-low-creativity fantasyman of dual sabers seems to be doing just peachy, apparently, hahaha.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The Trickster subclass seems to work fairly well with Riposte. You lose out on Sneak Attack damage, but gain a lot of Deflection thanks to Mirror Image. If Riposte crits affect the Skald's phrase counter, maybe Skald/Trickster could be a good option.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's interesting to me how much resistance there is to the affliction system, because D:OS2 actually features a similar (and very poorly tutorialized) system too.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's interesting to me how much resistance there is to the affliction system, because D:OS2 actually features a similar (and very poorly tutorialized) system too.

I think it works much better in a proper turn-based game, without pre-buffing you only get a very small window in which to apply protections before combat becomes pretty chaotic. I mean I'm certainly happy that it's in the game but I don't see myself using it very much outside of stuff like Arcane Veil.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
oooooh

If you uncheck "auto level companions" you get to level up the starting mercenaries manually, including picking better wizard spells on the wizard

note: the wizard keeps her current grimoire which has the default spells in it already

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I really like it in concept I just feel like they haven't committed fully to the concept. There are too many random spell effects that aren't either damage, afflictions, or inspirations, but half and half measures that just add to the confusion.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I'm not sure that I understand how devoted weapon accuracy works.

Fighters get 2 weapon prof. at start but I don't know that they work correctly/maybe Devoted are supposed to get only 1 prof.? With a Perception of 10 I get the following results after initial level up at docks:

Empty handed = 35 acc. main/35 acc. offhand
Non-prof. weapon (weapon accurate +4) = 39 acc.
Prof. weapon in main hand only (weapon is accurate +4) = 51 acc.
Prof. weapons in both hands (both accurate +4) = 39/39
Prof. weapon in main and prof. shield in off (weapon is accurate +4) = 39 acc.

So either Devoted can only use a weapon in the main hand with empty offhand or something's buggy...

Also, with a Devoted/Barb. multiclass, taking the Barb's weapon accuracy +6 talent does not seem to stack with the devoted's accuracy bonus.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
wehn are the romnce mods, op?

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

oooooh

If you uncheck "auto level companions" you get to level up the starting mercenaries manually, including picking better wizard spells on the wizard

note: the wizard keeps her current grimoire which has the default spells in it already

Oh my... You've been going with the auto-leveled companions so far? I'm so sorry.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

:v:

custom races/backgrounds/cultures are easy to add, unfortunately you won't get custom dialogue options for custom cultures (obviously). I'm trying to see where the shopkeepers inventory is stored but I think that might be in another file. The shopkeeper having every weapon available would make testing builds much easier.

so far my modding requests for obsidian:
2. some kind of asset browser? an easy way to match the images with the names
3. a way to edit the placement of npcs in the world. It doesn't have to be the world editor but maybe some script that can place an npc at a specific location on map creation?
4. optional but would be great: some kind of editing tool that isn't parsing json, ideally linking things like items to attacks and skill trees to abilities automatically

with that said, if anyone wants something changed to test (pen levels, monster hp, weapon damage, skill damage, ability effects) lemme know :thumbsup:

You give Codex people far too much credit w/r/t "intelligence."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Akong posted:

Oh my... You've been going with the auto-leveled companions so far? I'm so sorry.

Nah, i'd cheated a bunch of cash and hired a merc party. But still.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Nah, i'd cheated a bunch of cash and hired a merc party. But still.
Oh, okay. I feel like being able to have an entire party of multi-classed characters would be incredibly powerful with the utility that can be filled by "secondary" classes and the damage/defense by the "main" classes. So basically everyone can be a versatile utility character while also being pretty good in combat. Any truth to that?

Anyone else finding the Escape ability to be super fun to use, visually and aurally satisfying, and just really powerful? It's definitely one of my favorite abilities right now, being used both as an escape and and engagement tool and, most of the time, both at once. It's just too good being able to go from being surrounded and in a terrible situation to flanking an exposed enemy with just one ability. And it just looks and feels so cool, which is the most important part. I get that it was in the first game, but having it multiple times in a fight is great.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Why did they go away from the drawn world map? I thought that looked much nicer.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Dick Burglar posted:

You give Codex people far too much credit w/r/t "intelligence."

I think the proper burn here is to give them +1 Resolve.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

ProfessorCirno posted:

I would argue this is already modeled. Not in the form of the rogue class, but in the form of stilleto penetration.

Honestly, I appreciate that PoE rogues aren't 100% pushed into weird dual dagger stabbymans that D&D 3e had popularized but never actually existed in any way. Daggers aren't like, "mainhand weapons" in that sense; they're personal defense for non-professional fighters. The dagger in PoE 2, at least going off it's modal, is exactly what it was most of the time for a professional fighter - something you have in your offhand defensively, like a buckler, but you can also shank a fucker with it if needed.

I was thinking more along the lines of giving small one-handed weapons (of which the dagger was an example) a niche at all. Even if using a single one-handed weapon is/was fixed, they would be inferior to the larger one-handed weapons across the board due to primary/full attack abilities using your weapon damage value(s) without accounting for the attack speed component of weapon damage. The current accuracy boost and crit talent actually do give one-handed some significant advantages. If landing/criting with the non-damage effects of those abilities were a higher priority (which seems to be a direction in which Deadfire makes significant progress) then we might see builds that use that style appear.

You may be right about accuracy/pen modeling this as well. If small weapons continue to be underused, it might be more elegant to just bump up those weapon type bonuses a tad on smaller weapons to compensate for their disadvantage when used with active attack abilities.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is there a good necromancer build?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
really informative post from the obsidian forum:

quote:

Heya MaxQuest (and everyone else in this thread),

Thought I'd drop in and try to explain what "Resistance to X Afflictions" means. I know we're going to release a comprehensive explanation eventually, but maybe I can help ya understand it for the beta since a lot of people have questions about it.

So in PoE2, Afflictions have both a "tier" and an "attribute"; the "attribute" is what attribute it affects, and the "tier" is how strong the affliction is within that attribute subset.

For example, let's look at Dexterity Afflictions:
"Hobbled" is the tier 1 dexterity affliction. It gives you -5 Dex, and is the weakest affliction that affects Dex.
"Immobilized" is the tier 2 dexterity affliction. It does everything hobbled does with the addition of some other stuff. It's strictly better than hobbled, since it's a higher tier.
"Paralyzed" is the tier 3 dexterity affliction. Again, it does everything the previous tier (immobilized) does, with the addition of more. It's the best of the dexteritiy afflictions.
With that information in mind, resistance is actually pretty huge: it downgrades afflictions to their previous tier. So if your character has resistance to dexterity afflictions and gets hit with a paralyze spell/ability, they will be immobilized instead. If they're hit with an immobilized spell/ability, they'll be hobbled. And if they're hit with a hobble spell/ability, they'll resist it entirely and not be affected at all.

Resistance does not help your defenses against spells and abilities that apply these afflictions, it only downgrades the afflictions once they've actually hit you.

I hope that helps! =)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So Resistance spells now are better used reactive instead of proactive... :thunk:

nevermind I misread it

frajaq fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 19, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
One thing I'm starting to wonder is what's the point of weak armor under the new system.

At some point we'll figure out what the penetration values of all the monsters are.

At that point it'll be really clear which armor to wear when. I could see a lot of micromanagement happening. Plate only getting worn for tough fights, etc.

Recovery penalty is on a sliding scale but protection is a threshold, so as long as you're under threshold, there's no advantage in wearing, say, leather instead of padded: you might as well be naked as far as I can tell.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm not sure I follow. Yes, Padded is pointless when the enemy has a Penetration value of more than 5, but it still offers protection against lower values. Not to mention that each armour comes with unique modifiers (Leather is twice as good against Piercing than Padded for instance).

On top of that, most encounters will probably have enemies with differing Penetration values. So the question becomes, do you want to be highly resistant to everyone? Or no one? Or half of the attacks?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm not sure I follow. Yes, Padded is pointless when the enemy has a Penetration value of more than 5, but it still offers protection against lower values. Not to mention that each armour comes with unique modifiers (Leather is twice as good against Piercing than Padded for instance).

On top of that, most encounters will probably have enemies with differing Penetration values. So the question becomes, do you want to be highly resistant to everyone? Or no one? Or half of the attacks?

It's basically the second part of that theory I'm disputing.

Like, in the beta, all xaurip weapons have a penetration of five (in fact almost all weapons bottom out at penetration of 5). Basic padded and leather armors have similar (Padded is 5 base, 3 pierce / burn ; leather is 5, 3 crush/freeze).

So if you're facing Xaurips, a rational choice would be for everyone in the party wearing leather or worse armor to switch to mere clothing, because clothing gives AR 3, which I think is enough to avoid the bonus damage penalty from having too low armor on, but still gives you a recovery penalty of 0 rather than the penalty from leather & padded.

I don't know what the penetration values for the Engwithan Titan's attacks are, but it won't be long before we do, and I suspect it'll turn out the same way -- he'll be a "wear plate or go naked" type enemy.

Similarly, if you're facing an enemy with, say, an exceptional estoc (penetration 11), you might as well get naked as wear Exceptional Padded armor (AR 7 vs pierce).

The system's got break points and thresholds and those lead to counterintuitive gameplay as people try to optimize. I don't really get why they went with this instead of a sliding scale (i.e., each point of pen above/below AR gave +5%/-5% damage).

I suspect this will especially be an issue in later game; the higher the penetration values of opposing monsters is, the more of an issue this is, because if you're a mage wearing mage robes, a penetration of 10 is the same as a penetration of 20.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 19, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

I think the proper burn here is to give them +1 Resolve.

Unable to pick Stoic or Say Nothing options in conversation.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

It's basically the second part of that theory I'm disputing.

Like, in the beta, all xaurip weapons have a penetration of five (in fact almost all weapons bottom out at penetration of 5). Basic padded and leather armors have similar (Padded is 5 base, 3 pierce / burn ; leather is 5, 3 crush/freeze).

So if you're facing Xaurips, a rational choice would be for everyone in the party wearing leather or worse armor to switch to mere clothing, because clothing gives AR 3, which I think is enough to avoid the bonus damage penalty from having too low armor on, but still gives you a recovery penalty of 0 rather than the penalty from leather & padded.

I don't know what the penetration values for the Engwithan Titan's attacks are, but it won't be long before we do, and I suspect it'll turn out the same way -- he'll be a "wear plate or go naked" type enemy.

Similarly, if you're facing an enemy with, say, an exceptional estoc (penetration 11), you might as well get naked as wear Exceptional Padded armor (AR 7 vs pierce).

The system's got break points and thresholds and those lead to counterintuitive gameplay as people try to optimize. I don't really get why they went with this instead of a sliding scale (i.e., each point of pen above/below AR gave +5%/-5% damage).

I suspect this will especially be an issue in later game; the higher the penetration values of opposing monsters is, the more of an issue this is, because if you're a mage wearing mage robes, a penetration of 10 is the same as a penetration of 20.

If you're suggesting players could memorize every enemy's penetration and placement and change their armor out before every battle, that is certainly a stupid possibility, but I feel confident in saying that very few players are going to do that outside of obsessive triple crown solo runs. It's way, way too much busywork.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ProfessorCirno posted:

If you're suggesting players could memorize every enemy's penetration and placement and change their armor out before every battle, that is certainly a stupid possibility, but I feel confident in saying that very few players are going to do that outside of obsessive triple crown solo runs. It's way, way too much busywork.

Yeah, but

1) a lot of players will do it anyway *and be annoyed in the process* , and

2) it'll eventually get filtered out into guides and rules of thumb (i.e., "don't bother with leather, just wear clothing") which will alter player behavior in non intuitive ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octo1
May 7, 2009
There are buffs and stuffs to consider, not to mention critical hits (+50% pen). These make things less predictable.

• Locked thread