Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sean10mm posted:

I don't think Hogan ever really had the agility/coordination to do much more than he did in Japan. Japan basically pushed him as far as his physical ability really went I think. He wasn't a guy who was ever going to be able to do Undertaker-style suicide dives and tightrope walks and poo poo even if he was hypothetically more motivated.

I'm not suggesting he could do crazy highflying stuff or whatever but it was clear he could have gone faster and harder than he did in America. He just didn't have to. And probably shouldn't have, considering how jacked up he is just from the leg drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

What was this blindness thing that was mentioned in the Observer?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The man called M posted:

What was this blindness thing that was mentioned in the Observer?

Chris Adams was 'blinded' by hair cream thrown into his eyes by Gino Hernandez to write him off TV so he could tour Japan and spend time with family in England. While Adams was 'out', Gino Hernandez died. I think World Class kept running the Adams blinding as though it was legit.

I guess the closest modern equivalent would be if WWE hadn't killed the Vince death angle when Benoit happened, albeit that would have been more, more worse.

If I'm wrong someone correct me.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Chris Adams was 'blinded' by hair cream thrown into his eyes by Gino Hernandez to write him off TV so he could tour Japan and spend time with family in England. While Adams was 'out', Gino Hernandez died. I think World Class kept running the Adams blinding as though it was legit.

I guess the closest modern equivalent would be if WWE hadn't killed the Vince death angle when Benoit happened, albeit that would have been more, more worse.

If I'm wrong someone correct me.

Apologies if this is a bit of a derail, but: they ran with it as legit to the point that Bill Mercer (WCCW announcer) straight up said on WCCW TV that Hernandez' death and Adams' "blinding" were two very serious tragedies. Keep in mind, too, that this was back in the days when kayfabe was so strong, Scotland Yard reportedly interviewed Adams as a suspect in Hernandez' death when he was in the UK.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Apologies if this is a bit of a derail, but: they ran with it as legit to the point that Bill Mercer (WCCW announcer) straight up said on WCCW TV that Hernandez' death and Adams' "blinding" were two very serious tragedies. Keep in mind, too, that this was back in the days when kayfabe was so strong, Scotland Yard reportedly interviewed Adams as a suspect in Hernandez' death when he was in the UK.

is that really kayfabe though or is that scotland yard being a bunch of sweaty marks?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah they were actually using Hernandez's death to bolster the Adams blinding angle. Otherwise no one would have given a poo poo since the one had nothing to do with the other

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah they were actually using Hernandez's death to bolster the Adams blinding angle. Otherwise no one would have given a poo poo since the one had nothing to do with the other

Well that's loving awful

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"We've had two tragedies this week, Gino Hernandez is dead and Chris Adams is blind!"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

Well that's loving awful

Yeah, Fritz was a special type of scumbag.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, Fritz was a special type of scumbag.

The state of Fritz' heart would be better or worse depending on the ticket sales for their next show.

Now I'm sure for most promoters that's the case but Fritz was kayfabing it on TV.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Poor Kevin. :smithcloud: Had five brothers, and was an only child by the time he was 25 or so.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's worse. There's one Von Erich child who's usually forgotten. Fritz's first child died after being electrocuted as a toddler.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Davros1 posted:

It's worse. There's one Von Erich child who's usually forgotten. Fritz's first child died after being electrocuted as a toddler.

If folks haven't watched Heroes of World Class it's a worthwhile watch; really showcased both the highs and drizzling shits of Dallas.

Finally caught up on this, Rarity, really loving it and I hope you're having as much fun writing this as I am reading it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Renaissance Spam posted:

Finally caught up on this, Rarity, really loving it and I hope you're having as much fun writing this as I am reading it.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it :)

And yes, I'm having a blast

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davros1 posted:

I was counting him. :smith:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Rarity posted:

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it :)

And yes, I'm having a blast

I have two questions for you:

1) when is your birthday
2) do you think I could book a George "The Animal" Steel impersonator for it? I mean, along with the Lord Alfred Bigdick and Adrian Adonis guys I already booked.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Platypus Farm posted:

1) when is your birthday
2) do you think I could book a George "The Animal" Steel impersonator for it? I mean, along with the Lord Alfred Bigdick and Adrian Adonis guys I already booked.

Luckily it was last month. You monster

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Platypus Farm posted:

1) when is your birthday

I'm pretty sure I could find a George the animal Steele impersonator by checking any local dive bar at noon on a weekday

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
George's shoot interview was surprisingly good. Smart guy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Survivor Series 1989: Your Winner and Sole Survivor, Tedium!

What I Think I Know
  • I know absolutely nothing so I'm going to make some educated guesses. I imagine we're seeing another four match show so here's how I see it breaking down
  • The main event will involve Hulk, Savage, Andre, DiBiase, Snuka, Burtus, the Twin Towers and Zeus, who sadly I believe is not quite done yet
  • The sub-main event will be all about making Warrior look like a star. This will also include Rude, Honky, Greg, Hacksaw and assorted familiar midcarders
  • The tag team match will have all the usual suspects and will get Demolition set on a path to winning back the tag belts at WM6 (ugh)
  • The jobber match will involve a bunch of people I don't care about and will be all about pushing Hennig. Hey, a girl can dream, right?

It's Thanksgiving 1989, little Rarity is terrified of the family cat and across the Atlantic wrestling fans are sat on the sofa with their butts full of turkey waiting for something to prevent them arguing with their kids, it's Survivor Series 1989! The show kicks into gear with a series of short vignettes of guys the roster sharing what they're grateful for this Thanksgiving. There's way too many of them for me to do a full on recap of this section. So instead I designed it in a handy chart format!

This would have been quicker to write up, to be honest

Ooh, saucy

We now get a quick rundown of the card from Vince McMahon and I'll save the details for now but essentially everything I predicted was wrong. There's no 20-man match which even after last year's showing I think is a good idea. In fact, all these matches are going to be teams of four vs. four. That's got to be a solid plan. By reducing the team sizes and increasing the overall number of matches it will keep the pace moving and prevent the show from feeling dull. I see no problems with this intention!

Right, it's time to get things started proper. We are live from the Rosemont Horizon in Chicago, IL and whoever let Tony Schiavone into the announce booth appears to have been fired because we are back to our normal commentary team of Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura. And straight off the bat Gino's bringing up Jesse's outfit so I guess I don't have a choice, got to jump full into this one.

Oh my god, so we all know by now that Jesse is a fan of his Thanksgiving themed costumes for Survivor Series but this year we are looking at some next level poo poo. I'm happy to say that the pilgrim hat is back along with a snakeskin shirt and old timey western trousers as well. But what we really need to talk about is the piece de resistance, the main event of haute couture, a big brown fur waistcoat. I have to believe that Jesse went out, hunted a bear, skinned it alive and killed it with his bare hands. For that is the amount of dedication Jesse puts into his wardrobe, nothing less would suffice.

If you look close you can still see some blood on the zipline

Jesse's not having any of Gino's guff tonight though. He comes back by taking a shot at Gino's weight, saying that Gino would have been fed to the Armed Forces for Thanksgiving. Gino responds with a sardonic “gobble, gobble”.

Big Bossman, Bad News Brown, Rick Martel and the Honky Tonk Man w/ Slick and Jimmy Hart vs. Dusty Rhodes, Burtus Beefcake, Tito Santana and the Red Rooster

Slick has a full cadre of jive soul bros tonight as the heels come out to his music. Martel is wearing a pair of shades and a preppy sweater draped over his back. I don't even want to know what the deal with that is, it's not what I'd call a look. The faces come out with Dusty getting the honour of his own entrance as team captain. So Dusty and Bossman are deep in a feud now. Are they fighting to see who gets custody of the nightstick? It must be really annoying having to share it like that.

I thought Jerry was the one who liked to twist little girls

The bell rings and Tito and Martel get things rolling early. The crowd is still very into them which is a bit surprising for me. I never would have thought the Strike Force breakup story would have everyone so hooked. Tito blocks an atomic drop and nails Martel with one of his own then rolls him up. It's only a two count but I really seriously thought it would be a three. That's exactly the kind of shock upset booking we get all the time these days. Dusty tags in and hits some offence and I still really don't like him. This slow brawling style is everything that was wrong with 80s wrestling.

So Martel has a new gimmick now. He's calling himself 'The Model', which was something I was vaguely familiar with, and he's vain and conceited and all about his looks and does it sound like I'm describing somebody else here? Yeah, on first viewing I'm really not on board with this change because he's just trying to be Rick Rude and there's no point in trying to be Rick Rude when you've already got Rick Rude being a much better Rick Rude. Martel at Summerslam was perfect just the way he was, a smug dickhole. Now he's walking out in preppy clothes but only over his wrestling gear, and like everything about this gimmick it feels so half-hearted. Just let him do his own thing instead of trying to be a copy of someone else's.

Rooster comes in but ends up eating a number of stiff knees in the corner. We've been doing this for a year now and how is Rooster still a thing? Surely by now it's been well established that this guy is a total joke. I mean, the clucking alone. The heels keep up the quick tags in and out but they're ignoring Bad News. I'm not sure if this is meant to be intentional or not. Rooster gets in a sunset flip on Honky which he gives the most ridiculous cartoon sell for. Bugs Bunny would be proud of that one.

MOST HOMOEROTIC MOMENT

Gorilla Monsoon: “This is when Honky's at his best, when he's got you in a compromising position and really starts to unload”

There's a hot tag to Tito and he takes over with a series of dropkicks to Martel. He goes for a figure 4 but Martel yanks on his hair to pull him off. That's a sweet little reversal there. Tito tries a rollup but Martel rolls through and holds onto the trunks and Tito is the first man down. The Strike Force rivalry is still in full effect. I'm really hoping this one lasts until Wrestlemania cause I really want to see the blow-off match.

I'd call her a Common Woman but for the iffy racial connotations

The faces are now a man down with it all to play for but they won't be stopped that easily and dear god Dusty just hit a dropkick. Whoa. Bossman slaps on a bearhug to Rooster and the heels are looking pretty in control. They continue their quick tags and at this point I have to think the way they're treating Bad News is an angle. Sure enough, a moment later Bossman tags Bad News but he ignores it. Rooster pulls him into the ring anyway though so he doesn't get much choice.

On commentary Jesse's not done having a go at Gino's dietary choices because says Gino ate a whole pumpkin pie before the broadcast. Jesus dude, no need for body shaming here. Bad News grabs hold of Rooster and Bossman runs in but Rooster ducks and Bossman nails Bad News. The two men argue and Bad News bails on his team. He walks up the entrance, getting himself counted out. Jesse can't believe what he's seeing even though HE SAW BAD NEWS DO THE EXACT SAME loving THING LAST YEAR. That's right, this whole angle is a blatant repetition of SurSer '88. What, did a page of the script get left behind in the photocopier?

Still, as they say in the business the show must go on and the action continues. The heels' fortunes go from bad to worse as Honky eats a running knee from Burtus and finds himself eliminated. Martel wails away on Burtus who goes for a sunset flip but Martel reverses it. He leans over the ropes for leverage but the ref stops it and breaks up the pin. As Martel's digesting that moment Burtus rolls him up and Martel is done. Haha, now that's how a heel should get their comeuppance. Really nice moment and the crowd gave it a big pop as well.

This is happiest anyone has ever been for a rest hold

We're now down to Bossman against three faces and it's clear we're drawing rapidly towards our conclusion here. But just in case you thought after a year the WWF was going to stop making GBS threads on Rooster then firstly, I want some of your drugs and also lol, nope. Rooster runs right into the Bossman Slam and he's gone. Of course Rooster's not allowed to be a sole survivor. Of course he's not. With the jobber suitably buried Dusty comes in and hits a crossbody on Bossman which is enough for the victory.

After the match Bossman comes back in and attacks Burtus and Dusty. He cuffs Dusty to the ropes and starts wailing away on him with the nightstick to the point Dusty spurts out some blood. That nightstick is going to be so traumatised to see mummy and daddy fighting like this. The assault continues until Burtus recovers and chases Bossman off while the ring crew free Dusty. Lads, if you always had the keys to the cuffs why did you wait until after the assault to do this?

Dusty, after feasting on chicken wings and ketchup

Sean Mooney is waiting for Bossman in the gorilla position to ask about his actions. Bossman says that Dusty's a thief and a prisoner so he's given up all of his human rights. Oh man, Trump must be having a full on wankfest to this. Bossman vows to deliver more justice to Dusty who is a “stupid puke” but it's all fine and legal because Dusty stole from him. So this seriously is about the nightstick? That's almost as bad as spilt coffee and Japanese hair commercials!

I've made this match sound pretty breezy and quick but I've cut out a huge ton of chaff here. This went for over twenty minutes and barely anything happened. It was really plodding and slow and I still can't believe they went for the same angle with Bad News two years in a row. Seriously? Did they think I wouldn't notice? They should have anticipated someone would be reviewing all their shows thirty years in the future! I was impressed with a couple of the moves that Dusty pulled out so my opinions on him have been slightly raised, but only slightly.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I doubt this is going to happen but I really want your opinion of Dusty to change to the point he's 100% your boy by the end of his Fed run.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
A recent shoot interview with Bruce Pritchard revealed that Vince McMahon was absolutely turned off once he heard Schiavone's commentary because of his Southern accent. Vince despises everything Southern, if you don't know.

Pritchard, like me, is a Southerner and essentially had the same reaction I did: Schiavone's Southern accent is actually very mild to our ears, and doesn't really stand out in WCW, but once he went to NY and the WWF, it was a little bit more contrasting.

As I grew up, I intentionally tried to hide my Southern accent more, especially in professional or academic settings, so I can sympathize Tony's plight.
Although sometimes I forget about it, though. I mean, I can actually understand Boomhauer from King of the Hill perfectly because there are guys in my mama's side of the family that talk EXACTLY like him other than one great-Uncle I have that I've never been able to understand and he makes Boomhauer sound like Kenneth Branagh.

Renaissance Spam posted:

I doubt this is going to happen but I really want your opinion of Dusty to change to the point he's 100% your boy by the end of his Fed run.

On the basis of his WWF ring work, this is highly unlikely.
Dusty was basically on the gravy train mode during his run here, collecting a half-mil a year and taking a vacation from WCW politics.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

So Martel has a new gimmick now. He's calling himself 'The Model', which was something I was vaguely familiar with, and he's vain and conceited and all about his looks and does it sound like I'm describing somebody else here? Yeah, on first viewing I'm really not on board with this change because he's just trying to be Rick Rude and there's no point in trying to be Rick Rude when you've already got Rick Rude being a much better Rick Rude. Martel at Summerslam was perfect just the way he was, a smug dickhole. Now he's walking out in preppy clothes but only over his wrestling gear, and like everything about this gimmick it feels so half-hearted. Just let him do his own thing instead of trying to be a copy of someone else's.

He develops it a bit more later on, but you have to remember that as "The Model," being vain and conceited about his sexiness is his job. For Rick Rude, it's just who he is.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gavok posted:

He develops it a bit more later on, but you have to remember that as "The Model," being vain and conceited about his sexiness is his job. For Rick Rude, it's just who he is.

Yeah, Rick Martel is a Model in the same way Tyler Breeze's gimmick/side job was Model. Rick Rude is just a tamer Val Venis. Also Bad New Brown really hates white people/is a lone wolf.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Shiki Dan posted:

A recent shoot interview with Bruce Pritchard revealed that Vince McMahon was absolutely turned off once he heard Schiavone's commentary because of his Southern accent. Vince despises everything Southern, if you don't know.

Pritchard, like me, is a Southerner and essentially had the same reaction I did: Schiavone's Southern accent is actually very mild to our ears, and doesn't really stand out in WCW, but once he went to NY and the WWF, it was a little bit more contrasting.

I mean, that sounds ridiculous to me because I'd have never pegged Schiavone for having a Southern accent, but it does sound like a very Vince McMahon decision, so it's totally believable. I'm surprised he didn't only have Mid-Atlantic patricians doing commentary if Schiavone sounded too Southern.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Southern accents remind me of my grandpa, so I love Tony's (and JR's) voice for my wrestlemans.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gavok posted:

I fail to see the difference

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rarity posted:

Rick Rude wants to have sex with all the women, Rick Martel wants to be on all the magazine covers.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Davros1 posted:

Rick Rude wants to have sex with all the women, Rick Martel wants to be on all the magazine covers.

Yes, Rick Rude is a better version of Rick Martel, that's exactly what I've been saying

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Really his character never stops being Rick Martel: Smug Jerk Who's Really Happy to Be Here, he just wears fancier clothes

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Model has amazing promos and vignettes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

Rude never got endorsement deals.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

The Model gets better once he gets one of the top ten foreign objects of all time as his gimmick

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jason Sextro posted:

I mean, that sounds ridiculous to me because I'd have never pegged Schiavone for having a Southern accent, but it does sound like a very Vince McMahon decision, so it's totally believable. I'm surprised he didn't only have Mid-Atlantic patricians doing commentary if Schiavone sounded too Southern.

Schiavone's from Virginia. That's barely southern.

Schiavone has told the story as to how he ended up with the WWF. I'm wondering really if McMahon thought he was poaching something of importance from (at this point) Turner. An inspired Schiavone wasn't exactly bad - and especially next to David Crockett - but it's kinda like the Sam Houston or Ronnie Garvin signings in that McMahon didn't really need either of them but got them anyway. Garvin moreso than Houston.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They are showing the Thanksgiving thing on the Network and yeah, I have no idea what Warrior was thankful for.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Most of his stuff is usually comprehensible in a "You must be on this much drugs to parse" sense. That was just arrrrrrrrrrrghbarglewarghWarrioooooooooor

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Rarity did you get a chance to see this promo because if not... you're in for a treat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svjs-W60voU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Elsewhere in the back Zombie Mean Gene is with Hacksaw Jim Duggan's team, which he has named the 4x4s. Which doesn't really make much sense when you figure Hacksaw uses a 2x4. The rest of the team has 2x4s as well in solidarity with their captain. Bret says that it's going to their best night yet. Garvin promises to stick his 2x4 in Greg's mouth and yeah, I'm not even going to comment on that one. Herc' doesn't see any problems with their match and drat, what the hell has happened to Herc'? He's ballooned up in size to being a proper puffball. Someone's been joining Dusty at catering, clearly. Hacksaw finishes up with an announcement that they're in the state of mind to beat people up. Except Herc', who's mostly thinking about pastries.

Hacksaw's just as surprised as I am

Randy Savage, Greg Valentine, Dino Bravo and Earthquake w/ Sensational Sherri and Jimmy Hart vs. Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Bret Hart, Rugged Ronnie Garvin and Fat Herc'

Oh man, this is just so sad. One year ago Savage was arguably the most beloved wrestler in the world. Now here he is feuding with Hacksaw in the midcard and stuck with the loving King gimmick. Who the hell booked this? This feels like we've entered full on intentional burial mode at this point. Meanwhile over on the face team we've got Bret riding separately to Anvil in different teams. Interesting. Perhaps this is the start of his singles run. And I know I've said that before but if I keep saying it I'll be right eventually, dammit!

The heels walk out to Savage's theme but the good guys have no music as they run to the ring and send their opponents scurrying to the outside. Having established dominance the faces revel in their status by juggling their 2x4s. Any cool points they won for the entrance have instantly been forfeited. The match gets started and Fat Herc' opens things up with a big atomic drop to Greg. Bret tags in to the kind of big pops you'd expect from a future main eventer. Garvin tags in to face his nemesis to mild murmurs. Good, can we put this feud to bed now please? Greg quickly runs away with Dino replacing him. Dino chops Garvin so hard he takes a full back bump for it.

MY CHOPS GONNA LAUNCH YOU TO ORBIT!

There's an aspect to this project that I've not considered before and it's this: because I'm watching things at such a fast pace I'm watching all these guys age in fast forward. And while that might be a boon for guys who suck like Andre and Hacksaw but when it's someone I love and want to stick around it means they're going to disappear too soon. Or even worse, I'm going to watch them go to seed right before my eyes. That's what's happening with Fat Herc' here. His offence is so slow and weak and pathetic and what happened to the big mass of muscle that would fly into clotheslines and knock people's heads off? Earthquake shows us all some mercy by knocking him down and connecting with a butt splash to send him to the back.

quote:

INTRODUCING...

Oh look, it's another big fat gently caress who can't wrestle.

You know what? I can't even be bothered with this one. Next!

Hacksaw tries to take Earthquake down with a bunch of shoulder tackles but he can't get the big man off his feet. Bret sneaks in and kneels down behind him and suddenly Earthquake trips over and lands on his rear end. There's another one that'll have Bugs Bunny licking his lips in glee. Greg goes for the Figure 4 but Garvin kicks him off and rolls him up, it's not quite enough though. The heels start to isolate Garvin and lay in a beating until we end up with Garvin and Greg exchanging some loud chops and slaps. Garvin gets in a sneaky tag to Hacksaw then goes for a clothesline. Greg ducks it but runs right into one from Hacksaw and that puts him out.

He may be royalty but Savage still isn't one to let others do all his dirty work for him, hitting Garvin with a necksnap. He can't save this one though. For the second match in a row the action is total rear end. This is a real problem tonight, there's just not enough good workers to go round. The WWF has some decent talent now but they're spread out over five different matches so nobody who's good has got anyone on the other side ring to bounce off. Garvin blasts Dino with the Garvin Stomp and goes for a figure 4 as one big middle finger to Greg. Dino breaks out and both men take the chance to go over to their corners and tag to...

...Savage and Bret.

Aroo?

Oh gently caress, now we're talking.

I'm not the only one up for this. The crowd goes absolutely nuclear and I never knew how much I wanted to see a Savage/Bret feud until right now. Savage starts backing up but Bret nails an inverse atomic drop and kicks him square in the gut. That's too much heat for Savage, he hustles back to his corner and tags out. Please please please be going somewhere with this. You can bury Savage as deep in the midcard as you like if it means he's putting on twenty minute matches with Bret.

Dino connects with the Side Suplex on Garvin and the faces are down another man. Hacksaw and Bret try to make up the difference by double teaming Earthquake but it doesn't really get them too far. Savage and Bret wind up facing off again but this time Hacksaw interferes with a cheap shot to ruin it. Boo! To make matters worse, Hacksaw then chokes Savage behind the ref's back while he's caught in the ropes. Um, did you forget which side your on, Hacksaw? No? Cause I kinda felt like you did with the whole 'blatantly being a dick' thing.

The momentum gained from Hacksaw's antics is lost almost straight after as Bret whiffs a second rope elbow drop. The heels use this opportunity to take over until Bret gets in a hot tag to Hacksaw but Savage cuts it off immediately. Bret really starts taking a beating now with his shoulder going right into the ringpost. Dino follows up with a shoulderbreaker and Savage lands the Flying Elbow Drop. Jesse says that nobody's getting up from that.

Oh really, Jesse?

OH REALLY?

Tell that to Hulk Hogan, why don't you?

Sherri is so excited by this turn of events she grows two extra chins

But Bret is no Hulk Hogan (just ask Yokozuna) and he is indeed out for the count, leaving Hacksaw to go it alone against the three remaining heels. Earthquake goes for an avalanche but Hacksaw dodges out the way and cleans house. He hits a double clothesline to Savage and Dino but then Earthquake shows up and knocks him out with a seismic shot. Hacksaw runs into the ropes but Sherri pulls the top rope down and he goes tumbling to the outside. Earthquake gets in one final aftershock and Hacksaw's still lying on the mat when the ref finishes the countout. Hacksaw's gone and the three heels stand as winners. Hacksaw throws the kind of petulant tantrum you'd expect once he recovers and chases the heels off with his 2x4.

God drat, this really sucked. It was a real struggle to get through. I don't get how the WWF managed to come up with so many killer matches for Summerslam and then completely screw up the team line-ups for this one. We need more than one good worker per team and so far we're barely getting that. Not to mention, it's so depressing to see Savage being used like this. The man was a bona fide star and it feels like he's being sacrificed on the Hogan altar.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Earthquake was fine for a big man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Randaconda posted:

Earthquake was fine for a big man.

That match probably didn't show any of it off to be fair.