Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Imagine if I accidentally honeypot Gremlich, Matilda, and Derek off Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dude needs to stop being sexist in his hate campaign. There are >1 genders at play here and not all of us can get a cock sucked, and that’s just not very fair to the narrative.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Well, who else but stupid rich people drink Don Julio 42? If they want to make a margarita with tequila añejo I say it's no biggie after that.

Negra modelo is fine. (not in a margarita, but fine.)
Don Julio is a completely wasted in a margarita tho. hell even patron is wasted in a margarita

just get whatevers in the well

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Dude needs to stop being sexist in his hate campaign. There are >1 genders at play here and not all of us can get a cock sucked, and that’s just not very fair to the narrative.
I think people who tweet stuff like that still suffer from the "girls don't play video games" 'tude from the middle to late 90s

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean they are certainly still suffering from Nintendo vs Genesis syndrome (or in this case PC vs Consoles)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

Don Julio is a completely wasted in a margarita tho. hell even patron is wasted in a margarita

just get whatevers in the well

I've seen rich people use good wine to make sangria. I'm completely desensitized to alcohol-crimes by now.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Derek is an okay guy, until you cross a line and then he will reveal himself for the churlish, self aggrandizing, self serving, self important and contrarian twat he is. Then people freak out a little bit, and then very quickly forget the weird behaviour and continue to pal around.

gently caress it, I’ll chime in since this has become kind of a real conversation. When I first started to frequent the thread, I saw Derek as an alright guy, but also the hot-tempered type that would sometimes spiral into cringey invective about SC, or occasionally someone that had bruised his ego. I especially enjoyed actual-serious-programmer Derek that would go deep on real software engineering challenges and how he addressed them. As a programmer, and one that actually worked on an MMO for a few years, that’s good poo poo. I miss that Derek.

But lately all I can see (and I fully acknowledge there’s a bias here) is smug self-congratulations when CIG makes yet another wholly predictable fuckup, and shrill denunciation of goons that have offended him in some way. It’s tedious, and the posts I’m reading now seem more fixated on taking credit for predicting (and archiving?) CIG’s transgressions than actually exposing them. There’s really not much beyond bile anymore. For me at least.

The funny thing is that he may very well be the sort that’s actually pretty cool to hang with in real life, but just turns into a raging asshat online. I’ve known the type personally, and I’d even bet it’s probably true. But the reality is that we’ll never meet in person- so it’s immaterial to me. All I have to judge by or really even care about is this experience on the forums. I’m exhausted by it. It’s obnoxious, it’s boring, and there’s so much more interesting stuff he could be saying.

Sorry for the :words:. That went on longer than anticipated.

e: Typing on a mobile is hard.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
CIG are to an extent making Derek's involvement and blogs about Star Citizen redundant, as they consistently continue to demonstrate ineptness, incompetence and greed all on their own.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you give a poo poo how someone else drinks their alcohol, you got bigger problems then them not having taste.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I feel the same way about Yorkshire puddings.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lladre posted:

If you give a poo poo how someone else drinks their alcohol, you got bigger problems then them not having taste.

For a moment I thought this was a Lladre post, but it has a different avatar.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

trucutru posted:

For a moment I thought this was a Lladre post, but it has a different avatar.

It's just Derek's way when he has nothing to refute you with.
I look at it as a re-appropriation of funds from his lovely game to Lowtax's kids.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I refuse to believe anyone has taken DS seriously this side of 2015.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lladre posted:

It's just Derek's way when he has nothing to refute you with.

It's a much better Av so you can take it as a double-bonus.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I fell for his ele thing a year and a half ago

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

gently caress it, I’ll chime in since this has become kind of a real conversation. When I first started to frequent the thread, I saw Derek as an alright guy, but also the hot-tempered type that would sometimes spiral into cringey invective about SC, or occasionally someone that had bruised his ego. I especially enjoyed actual-serious-programmer Derek that would go deep on real software engineering challenges and how he addressed them. As a programmer, and one that actually worked on an MMO for a few years, that’s good poo poo. I miss that Derek.

But lately all I can see (and I fully acknowledge there’s a bias here) is smug self-congratulations when CIG makes yet another wholly predictable fuckup, and shrill denunciation of goons that have offended him in some way. It’s tedious, and the posts I’m reading now seem more fixated on taking credit for predicting (and archiving?) CIG’s transgressions than actually exposing them. There’s really not much beyond bile anymore. For me at least.

The funny thing is that he may very well be the sort that’s actually pretty cool to hang with in real life, but just turns into a raging asshat online. I’ve known the type personally, and I’d even bet it’s probably true. But the reality is that we’ll never meet in person- so it’s immaterial to me. All I have to judge by or really even care about is this experience on the forums. I’m exhausted by it. It’s obnoxious, it’s boring, and there’s so much more interesting stuff he could be saying.

Sorry for the :words:. That went on longer than anticipated.

e: Typing on a mobile is hard.

Incoming :negative:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Dusty Lens posted:

I refuse to believe anyone has taken DS seriously this side of 2015.

I take Dr Smart very seriously. He writes a lot of worthwhile things to read.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

grimcreaper posted:

I take Dr Smart very seriously. He writes a lot of worthwhile things to read.

:same:

also roadkill can cook up nicely with a little elbow grease. Sparkies these days turn their noses up at a perfectly good meal.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/glacier1701/status/932257041963540480

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

:same:

also roadkill can cook up nicely with a little elbow grease. Sparkies these days turn their noses up at a perfectly good meal.

Roadkill squirrel jerky is pretty drat good.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
I have found the more you pay for your tequila--the less pain you suffer the next morning.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
CIG truly deserves Derek Smart to be their nemesis.

This thread well...we're just not worthy of him...

At least I hope so lol

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

HycoCam posted:

I have found the more you pay for your tequila--the less pain you suffer the next morning.

This is pretty much booze 101.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

HycoCam posted:

Applies to tang as well.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Ah, I see they've used the "slam face on keyboard" approach to naming.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y9vQzYdSnE&t=216s

:gary:

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
I'm actually curious. What was your doctorate in Derek?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

:yikes:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9pSiUTwzF8&t=255s

Click/grab the video image to rotate the camera for the full experience.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Does that mean we get another hour long lesson on how to pronounce these new names?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

My thought exactly :D

But, how the gently caress can anyone pronounce NGII? Their made up imaginary languages are loving awful.

:lesnick: "Just got jewed in cs:s, NGII's"

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Sabreseven posted:

My thought exactly :D

But, how the gently caress can anyone pronounce NGII? Their made up imaginary languages are loving awful.

:lesnick: "Just got jewed in cs:s, NGII's"

Imagine you say out "knee" but with a terrible hiccup

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Blue On Blue posted:

Does that mean we get another hour long lesson on how to pronounce these new names?

Yep! More rock solid proof that progress on the game engine is being made! Eat it goons!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Getting a Vietnamese taxi driver to recreate what he thinks he heard when a drunk Scot shouted directions at him in broken Korean was a pretty brilliant way to concoct a new language.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

SCtrumpHaters posted:

I fell for his ele thing a year and a half ago

Here lies Derek Smart

He always bored

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

Imagine you say out "knee" but with a terrible hiccup

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

I feel the same way about Yorkshire puddings.

Triggered.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Yorkshire puddings loving own. They are saucers for gravy and meat. They are divine.

If you really want to go mad, have a yorkshire pudding with golden syrup on them for the ultimate I don't give a gently caress food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9pSiUTwzF8&t=255s

Click/grab the video image to rotate the camera for the full experience.

I made the mistake of skipping ahead randomly in that video, and was suddenly confronted by :lesnick: towering over me like some sort of kaiju monster. :stonk::fh: