Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

*shudder*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"brutally honest"[1]

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

so this is like the sa furries thing right like december ill be able to read an article about assistive technology without seeing something about mobile suit high school alpha or whatever?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Agile Vector posted:

so this is like the sa furries thing right like december ill be able to read an article about assistive technology without seeing something about mobile suit high school alpha or whatever?

i know im gonna just search for the phrase "in japanese" and delete everything except for the interwiki link

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

i know im gonna just search for the phrase "in japanese" and delete everything except for the interwiki link

i feel like if there isn't already a chome extension that auto-deletes "in anime" and "in popular culture" sections of wikipedia, there's a real opportunity for one

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I think they purged most of those after the xkcd guy made one for "wood"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea its not superbad now but there are still random articles about "thing everybody knows but in japanese" with citations to folklore and stuff

which is fine really except they should be merged into the whatever article and all the folklore etcetera should also be merged into the local paragraphs

im fine with japan. japan is okay all in all. im not fine fine with wikipedia being such a haven for freakazoid weaboos

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Self-driving car usage
Uses "ground truth" to train AI to properly detect/identify objects on/near roads and streets.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

duTrieux. posted:

Self-driving car usage
Uses "ground truth" to train AI to properly detect/identify objects on/near roads and streets.

pls source that quote holy gently caress

to be honest, "ground truth" when talking self driving cars hopefully means embedding the drivers head into the ground, and then shortly after, all govts worldwide embedding elon musk and his lovely accomplishes in a volcano.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Anne McCaffrey is a Hugo and Nebula award winning author of the Dragonriders of Pern series, among others. Pern has a large fandom which involves dragonriders who must engage in mindless sex when their dragons are in season. With the majority of female dragons on Pern being ridden by males, this means there's a lot of slash potential.

The wank involves a long running fandom debate on whether the green female dragons have the ability to deliberately choose gay males to soulbond, or if the riders of the dragons can be any orientation.

During the mid-90s, McCaffrey gave an interview to a fandom (a zine?) on the subject - in which she claims that any man who engages in anal sex becomes gay, even if that anal sex was rape.

A fan in 2002 said:
You might not be aware of *another* infamous document of Anne's wisdom. This little gem is known in fandom circles as the "tentpeg interview," and is Anne's delightful explanation of Why All Greenriders Are Gay (REALLY, Not The PC Apologia About Them Being Substitutes For Women). The tentpeg interview was a private q&a session between Anne and a fandom administrator who was passing along some questions from some generic fanfiction writers. Tra la la, the interview was buzzing along nicely, and then, right between the eyes, Anne does one of her famous "blindside the questioner with a burst of temper" stunts. [3]

The Actual Quote

A: The situation will arise where two males will enagage in sexual activity. Greenriders, have to be homosexual.

Q: Some fandom Weyrs choose to seperate sexual tendencies and flight related sex experiences...

A: Let me stop you right there, there is no seperation. Two men engaging in sexual activity with one another are gay. The dragons choose based on their own drives.

Q: *audible pause* *sounds of paper rustling* But, uh, some people say one experience, especially under the control of outside forces dosen't really make you *emphasis* gay.

A: It's not a matter of the rider *emphasis* becoming homosexual. Green and blue dragons choose people who are already homosexual. And even if circumstances arose, and a green dragon chose a heterosexual lifemate... Well, he would become homosexual. It's a proven fact that a single anal sex experience causes one to be homosexual. The hormones released by a sexual situation involving the anus being broached, are the same hormones found in large quantities in effeminate homosexual males. For example, when I was much younger I knew a young man who was for all intents and purposes, heterosexual. He was mugged, and involved in a rape situation involving a tent peg. This one event was enough to have him start on a road that eventually led to him becoming effeminate and gay.[4][5] [6]

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

A soup spoon is a type of spoon with a large or rounded bowl, used for consuming soup. The term can either refer to the British soup spoon or the Chinese spoon. Round bowled soup spoons were a Victorian invention. Canteens of silver made prior to about 1900 do not have round soup spoons; a tablespoon was used (and still is in some British houses where the silver predates 1900. Anyone wishing to verify this has only to study the vast suite of Georgian silver in the Royal Collection ("The Grand Service" sic) which has neither modern-shaped soup spoons (or fish knives and forks). In some houses they are regarded as vulgar.[citation needed][by whom?]

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

The Big Word posted:

Anne McCaffrey is a Hugo and Nebula award winning author of the Dragonriders of Pern series, among others. Pern has a large fandom which involves dragonriders who must engage in mindless sex when their dragons are in season. With the majority of female dragons on Pern being ridden by males, this means there's a lot of slash potential.

The wank involves a long running fandom debate on whether the green female dragons have the ability to deliberately choose gay males to soulbond, or if the riders of the dragons can be any orientation.

During the mid-90s, McCaffrey gave an interview to a fandom (a zine?) on the subject - in which she claims that any man who engages in anal sex becomes gay, even if that anal sex was rape.

A fan in 2002 said:
You might not be aware of *another* infamous document of Anne's wisdom. This little gem is known in fandom circles as the "tentpeg interview," and is Anne's delightful explanation of Why All Greenriders Are Gay (REALLY, Not The PC Apologia About Them Being Substitutes For Women). The tentpeg interview was a private q&a session between Anne and a fandom administrator who was passing along some questions from some generic fanfiction writers. Tra la la, the interview was buzzing along nicely, and then, right between the eyes, Anne does one of her famous "blindside the questioner with a burst of temper" stunts. [3]

The Actual Quote

A: The situation will arise where two males will enagage in sexual activity. Greenriders, have to be homosexual.

Q: Some fandom Weyrs choose to seperate sexual tendencies and flight related sex experiences...

A: Let me stop you right there, there is no seperation. Two men engaging in sexual activity with one another are gay. The dragons choose based on their own drives.

Q: *audible pause* *sounds of paper rustling* But, uh, some people say one experience, especially under the control of outside forces dosen't really make you *emphasis* gay.

A: It's not a matter of the rider *emphasis* becoming homosexual. Green and blue dragons choose people who are already homosexual. And even if circumstances arose, and a green dragon chose a heterosexual lifemate... Well, he would become homosexual. It's a proven fact that a single anal sex experience causes one to be homosexual. The hormones released by a sexual situation involving the anus being broached, are the same hormones found in large quantities in effeminate homosexual males. For example, when I was much younger I knew a young man who was for all intents and purposes, heterosexual. He was mugged, and involved in a rape situation involving a tent peg. This one event was enough to have him start on a road that eventually led to him becoming effeminate and gay.[4][5] [6]

fanwikis are cheating

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

well poo poo looks like I got confused and failed to double check the url of what I had been linked to, please destroy me

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I’ll allow it because what the fuuuuckkkk

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
In the third part of the song, titled "Return of the Prince", a character from their previous album, Fly by Night, named By-Tor, returns. In By-Tor and the Snow Dog, By-Tor is a villain, and attempts to take over the overworld. However, By-Tor is a hero in The Necromancer, supposedly having freed the prisoners from the necromancer's lair. This has not been explained by Rush.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The English title is a word play, combining the adjective 'infernal' (concerning hell) with internal affairs the police department concerned with investigating its own officers.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Human_urination_in_art

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

does not include piss christ for some reason

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

does not include piss christ for some reason

i'm guessing the art didn't involve urination the process, just the products thereof

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:pisstape:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
The Asahi Flame is sometimes colloquially referred to as "the golden turd" (kin no unko, 金のうんこ) and the Asahi Beer Hall itself as "poo building" (unko-biru, うんこビル).[3][4]

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

prefect posted:

i'm guessing the art didn't involve urination the process, just the products thereof
i can see that.

personally i would have erred on the side of inclusion on the theory that any work of art which incorporates piss will by necessity involve the artist making discrete and intentional decisions re: acquisition. being a bodily fluid the natural question is "whose" and i feel that an artist who ignores that question (or doesn't leverage the answer in some way) is passing a great opportunity.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Improbable Lobster posted:

The English title is a word play, combining the adjective 'infernal' (concerning hell) with internal affairs the police department concerned with investigating its own officers.

thats a kickass movie though. iirc the third was good too.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

piss Christ is a photo a la Duchamp’s fountain and it isn’t even piss, so def no inclusion on that list

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The Big Word posted:

The hormones released by a sexual situation involving the anus being broached,
gonna name my grindcore band Broaching the Anus

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
an endangered specimen of In Popular Culture:

In The West Wing episode "Shibboleth," when C.J. learns the alternate turkey is to be slaughtered, she appeals to President Bartlet to save it. He points out that he cannot pardon a turkey as it had committed no crime and he has no "judicial jurisdiction over birds". So, he drafts the turkey into military service to spare its life. In real life, both the turkey and the alternate are spared.

The film Free Birds centers around a turkey who was pardoned, then is recruited to go back in time in an attempt to change history and remove turkey from the menu of the first Thanksgiving dinner at Plymouth Colony.

In David Mamet's play "November" an incumbent President losing his bid for reelection uses the yearly tradition to extort the turkey manufacturers to add to his lacking campaign fund.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duTrieux. posted:

personally i would have erred on the side of inclusion on the theory that any work of art which incorporates piss will by necessity involve the artist making discrete and intentional decisions re: acquisition. being a bodily fluid the natural question is "whose" and i feel that an artist who ignores that question (or doesn't leverage the answer in some way) is passing a great opportunity.

y'know, wikipedia is "the encyclopedia anyone can edit"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This gotta be the most abstract loss edit I've ever seen.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

yeah let me just contribute free labor to an organization that's swimming in mismanaged money

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i totally wish to contribute unpaid labor to get in shitfights with the biggest, smuggest, most passive-aggressive, sperglords on the internet

at least yospos doesn't expect me to keep a neutral [citation needed] point of view

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duTrieux. posted:

yeah let me just contribute free labor to an organization that's swimming in mismanaged money

ultravoices posted:

i totally wish to contribute unpaid labor to get in shitfights with the biggest, smuggest, most passive-aggressive, sperglords on the internet

at least yospos doesn't expect me to keep a neutral [citation needed] point of view

relax, i was just "taking the piss", so to speak

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

In David Mamet's play "November" an incumbent President losing his bid for reelection uses the yearly tradition to extort the turkey manufacturers to add to his lacking campaign fund.

Always
Be
Clucking

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

In rhetoric, antimetabole (/æntɪməˈtæbəliː/ AN-ti-mə-TAB-ə-lee) is the repetition of words in successive clauses, but in transposed order; for example, "I know what I like, and I like what I know". It is related to, and sometimes considered a special case of, chiasmus.

[...]

Examples

"Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno"
"Eat to live, not live to eat." Attributed to Socrates
Latin: Miser ex potente fiat ex misero potens Seneca the Younger, Thyestes, Act I.10 (let it make misery from power and power from misery).
"We do what we like and we like what we do." - Andrew W.K., "Party Hard"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

an endangered specimen of In Popular Culture:

In The West Wing episode "Shibboleth," when C.J. learns the alternate turkey is to be slaughtered, she appeals to President Bartlet to save it. He points out that he cannot pardon a turkey as it had committed no crime and he has no "judicial jurisdiction over birds". So, he drafts the turkey into military service to spare its life. In real life, both the turkey and the alternate are spared.

The film Free Birds centers around a turkey who was pardoned, then is recruited to go back in time in an attempt to change history and remove turkey from the menu of the first Thanksgiving dinner at Plymouth Colony.

https://twitter.com/ProBirdRights/status/933072748229697536

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
In 1978, WQXI provided inspiration for WKRP in Cincinnati, a television sitcom about a radio station. Series creator Hugh Wilson dealt with WQXI when he worked in advertising. WKRP's early episodes about dropping turkeys from a helicopter and the "dancing ducks promotion," in which ducks danced on hot plates, were stunts actually done by Jerry Blum at WQXI in the early 1970s. Blum had leased an 18-wheeler from which he tossed hundreds of live turkeys at a suburban Atlanta shopping center.[8][not in citation given]

not worthless https://youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
a man and his two children tried to kill me

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
As god is my witness: I thought turkeys could fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Schadenboner posted:

As god is my witness: I thought turkeys could fly.