Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hey The_Doctor, are you doing a DWSS this year? Apologies if this has already been answered, I haven't read the thread much since summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

Outside of all the back-and-forth going on, I really dug the implied dread and fear in,"What do you mean... one?"

God yes, that was the best part of the clip

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

80s synths are back in fashion... :thunk:

Let us all pray that the success of Stranger Things does not make any person in charge of the show think "Yes... let's do 80s Doctor Who aesthetic."

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dabir posted:

I relistened to ...Ish yesterday and good golly is it a delight. A real celebration of the English language. Almost every line is some sort of play on words, which I really appreciate, and the antagonist is something only Doctor Who could get away with.

Conversely, I listened to Medicinal Purposes for the first time over the last couple of days and I really should've paid more attention to the reviews I'd read beforehand and just skipped it. The Doctor outright hero worshiping Burke and Hare (it's one thing to say "bad things happened, but some good came of it eventually, that's history" and completely another to want to shake the hands of serial murderers and tell them how much you appreciate their work) is gross and ruins what was otherwise a pretty effective atmosphere with an nice, tragic performance from Tennant.

I mean, even without that stuff the story's antagonist/resolution is a bit bollocks but you could overlook that if the rest wasn't so completely unDoctory.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Let us all pray that the success of Stranger Things does not make any person in charge of the show think "Yes... let's do 80s Doctor Who aesthetic."

I had never considered that possibility

It will now horrify me for all of my days, thanks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Box of Bunnies posted:

Conversely, I listened to Medicinal Purposes for the first time over the last couple of days and I really should've paid more attention to the reviews I'd read beforehand and just skipped it. The Doctor outright hero worshiping Burke and Hare (it's one thing to say "bad things happened, but some good came of it eventually, that's history" and completely another to want to shake the hands of serial murderers and tell them how much you appreciate their work) is gross and ruins what was otherwise a pretty effective atmosphere with an nice, tragic performance from Tennant.

I mean, even without that stuff the story's antagonist/resolution is a bit bollocks but you could overlook that if the rest wasn't so completely unDoctory.

God yeah, even taking Knox out of consideration, the Doctor's attitude towards Burke and Hare is just awful and about as "un-Doctory" as you can get.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hey The_Doctor, are you doing a DWSS this year? Apologies if this has already been answered, I haven't read the thread much since summer.

I hadn’t thought about it, but I guess since we’re in the back half of November I really ought to...

Do people want one?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

I hadn’t thought about it, but I guess since we’re in the back half of November I really ought to...

Do people want one?

Totally, I have disposable income for the first time in years and I'd love to splash some of that on obscure gifts for internet strangers.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Aaaaaaaaaaa I just saw the sneak peek for the Christmas special, I need to talk about it but refuse to go into the spoiler threads

It is quite the dilemma :(

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaa I just saw the sneak peek for the Christmas special, I need to talk about it but refuse to go into the spoiler threads

It is quite the dilemma :(

There is literally nothing else there but bitter contempt and positive thinking

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Came in here to see lost episode/Mugabe jokes, but there are none in the last two pages. You’re slipping, Doctor Who thread.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pgroce posted:

Came in here to see lost episode/Mugabe jokes, but there are none in the last two pages. You’re slipping, Doctor Who thread.

We literally were doing it like

Are you sure it wasn't two pages ago? One of my last posts was Mugabe

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

pgroce posted:

You have to go back to page 104, we've moved on quickly.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

You have to go back to page 104, we've moved on quickly.

https://twitter.com/lukespillane/status/931616456613220359

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Something something

Maybe things will get better for the people there?

Man it's going to be weird not having Mugabe to joke about

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Say what you want about Murray Gold. But a lot of the individual themes during his run (Eleven's Theme, This is Gallifrey) have been goddamn stellar, and music's become an enormously large part of the show's identity and popularity. Hell, they even managed to put together a couple of half decent 'Doctor Who Proms' with it.

Post your favourite piece of Doctor Who Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRQapIdaMU (cleanest version I could find)

gently caress yeah. Break that wall you magnificent bastard.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
My main complaints with Murray Gold are the mixing - he's often pushed way too high and drowns out the dialogue; the inappropriate bombastic nature when regular day-to-day stuff is happening on screen; and the goofy plink plonk poo poo that happens when someone makes a joke or does something strange, like it's an episode of scooby doo.

So my distaste for gold is less about the man himself - he's a perfectly fine composer and writes some good themes - and more about how his work is used. Everything is drenched in music and the show never really breathes. This is especially bad in the earlier seasons, but got marginally better as the show went on. Despite the improvements, it never really escaped that constant coating in emotional sledgehammer subtlety. Sad dialogue happening on screen? Better dial up those minor chords really loving loud then! Sometimes tells a joke? Better throw a bucket of hi hats down a stairwell and remove any nuance from the performances. The way Murray Gold's work is used is often as a shortcut to tell you how to feel, instead of reinforcing the feelings the characters are expressing. It's a laugh track, essentially. I'm hoping Chibnall uses the new composer with a more delicate touch.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Murray Gold's themes are my favorite of all Doctor Who themes. Very epic. If the new one goes away from that, I will be disappointed.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
On the other hand, all music ever should be composed by Paddy Kingsland.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, I will miss Gold despite all his flaws. We’re never going to hear his glorious leitmotif for Gallifrey again, which does make me sad.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The version of the main theme by String & Tins for the 'Save The Day' 50th anniversary trailer was goddamn magnificent, and it's a crime that it's never been released as a standalone track without the voiceover and sound effects.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

What consistently offended me about Murray Gold is not that his stuff was loud or OTT, which there will always be a time and a place for, it's the strings-and-horns-and-drum-kit style that makes so much of it sound like it was done by Hans Zimmer's work experience kid.

Having said that, there's only one way we can play Murray Gold out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj_LLMOSF_8

HOW THE gently caress DO YOU LIKE IT MURRAY?

edit: as to the best music, since I don't expect anyone to listen to the entire score from The Caves of Androzani without context, here's a selection from The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, which is pure distilled essence of creepy clown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaYH3nQwGOg

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 19, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

There is literally nothing else there but bitter contempt and positive thinking

Eh. I'm somewhere in between.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bicyclops posted:

Eh. I'm somewhere in between.

Positive contempt?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CityMidnightJunky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRQapIdaMU (cleanest version I could find)

gently caress yeah. Break that wall you magnificent bastard.
Well, if you want "clean," the BBC National Orchestra of Wales has you covered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS8f_-7yw1c

Obligatory "This is Gallifrey"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7C0mGSPTnE

I also like Gridlocked Cassinis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5YP5UhXhR4

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Oh yeah, BTW: The link in the OP to the spoiler thread is to the old spoiler thread.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I will fix that...for the next thread.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

I don't expect anyone to listen to the entire score from The Caves of Androzani without context

Says you! :mad:

For me, it's the Tristam Cary white noise, feedback, and tape loop stuff from the first Dalek serial. Still creepy to this day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB2XgLUa8f8

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Missing the Daleks' robot duplicate

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just rewatched Family of Blood / Human Nature in its entirety for the first time in a long time and I had to pop in to say that it's a really good story.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I'm surprised more wasn't made of the similarity with early gas masks - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH_helmet

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've gotten to Earthshock in my rewatch and I am very ready to say goodbye to Adric, but Five is being such a baby that I wish Adric would take Five with him, and, hell, maybe Tegan too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

and, hell, maybe Tegan too.

This will not stand. This.... aggression... will not stand.

Edit: Also, mysteriously the 5th Doctor seems to cheer up a great deal after Earthshock :thunk:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

This will not stand. This.... aggression... will not stand.

Edit: Also, mysteriously the 5th Doctor seems to cheer up a great deal after Earthshock :thunk:

She won't stop complaining! I know that all of Australia will kill me for this, but she's just another Adric!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

she's just another Adric!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Now that I think about it, 5 really has the most useless companions. Adric is a brat, Turlough is an rear end, Tegan just wants to go home, Nyssa is living wallpaper, Kamelion is in the hallway closet with the incomplete board games, and Peri gets him killed.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
So the UNIT box after next sounds pretty exciting

quote:

Coming out in May next year, the pressure is on for the War Master to save us all in UNIT – Cyber Reality

As you may have guessed from the title, Kate Stewart and the UNIT team will be facing off against the Cybermen in the sixth series of UNIT – The New Series – Cyber Reality. And, as revealed in a Doctor Who Magazine exclusive, Kate Stewart will be forced to rely on the assistance of a new scientific advisor, although not one she can trust…

After appearing in his own series and Gallifrey Time War, the War Master – played by Derek Jacobi – will be journeying to Earth. Joining him and Jemma Redgrave as Kate Stewart, are the whole UNIT team: Ingrid Oliver as Osgood, Ramon Tikaram as Colonel Shindi, James Joyce as Josh Carter and Warren Brown as Sam Bishop, with Nicholas Briggs as the Cybermen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well. Hot drat. I was honestly not expecting Jacobi to turn up in much else as the War Master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, not expected at all. I was interested in the next one because it sounds like it might be exploring an Inferno-like alternate reality, but the War Master AND Cybermen is a pretty good hook for the next one. Especially with Big Finish hopefully doing the buzzy Cybermen voices.

• Locked thread